Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thoughts on Fortuna (and the upcoming Venus "open world" node

MirageKnight

6 hours ago, JDxBarracka said:

There's a swimming pool of coolant

Eh, that looks more like a large wading pool to me.

6 hours ago, JDxBarracka said:

Maybe we can finally learn how to swim

Would you REALLY want to swim in that?

Seriously though, you do raise a decent point.

I've always disliked the fact that they recycled Archwing for instances when you make contact with a deepish body of water like in the submersible missions. Why not just spawn us a small dive tank with little jets on it to help you swim? Then there's the "deep lake" on Cetus...it would be nice to be able to, you know, swim across that instead of being magically teleported out the minute you get knee deep.

I don't really care what they do so long as they don't do more "time of day" cycles that makes it hugely inconvenient to play what you want to play when you want to play it.  

its getting to the point where increasingly you are locked out of doing one task as a result of the time somewhere else - be it on earth (old earth not PoE), PoE, eidolon hunt or farm wisps, all competing with existing limited time events like endless fissures or alerts.

Or not being able to do a task like an Eidolon hunt for 3 days because real life doesn't correspond to when DE thinks you should play.

27 minutes ago, MirageKnight said:

Eh, that looks more like a large wading pool to me.

Would you REALLY want to swim in that?

Seriously though, you do raise a decent point.

I've always disliked the fact that they recycled Archwing for instances when you make contact with a deepish body of water like in the submersible missions. Why not just spawn us a small dive tank with little jets on it to help you swim? Then there's the "deep lake" on Cetus...it would be nice to be able to, you know, swim across that instead of being magically teleported out the minute you get knee deep.

Because DE doesn't want to take the time to create a system for us to be able to swim, and that would involve DE changing how their water system works.

6 hours ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

Because DE doesn't want to take the time to create a system for us to be able to swim, and that would involve DE changing how their water system works.

Oh I understand why things were done that way; DE basically took what they felt was the most "efficient" route available at the time and ran with it. That being said,  this doesn't necessarily mean that DE made the right decision - which one could easily argue that they haven't.

Seriously, look how that one decision affects the game now.

This is arguably one of DE's biggest problems - their inability to see how going for easy, short term solutions can have far reaching consequences.

P.S. I hope that I haven't come off as attacking you. I simply disagree with the direction that DE took. I also feel that the fact that said direction was undertaken a while back shouldn't be used as an excuse to justify keeping things the way they are now.

Edited by MirageKnight

5 minutes ago, MirageKnight said:

Oh I understand why things were done that way; DE basically took what they felt was the most "efficient" route available at the time and ran with it. That being said,  this doesn't necessarily mean that DE made the right decision - which one could easily argue that they haven't.

Seriously, look how that one decision affects the game now.

This is arguably one of DE's biggest problems - their inability to see how going for easy, short term solutions can have far reaching consequences.

P.S. I hope that I haven't come off as attacking you. I simply disagree with the direction that DE took. I also feel that the fact that said direction was undertaken a while back shouldn't be used as an excuse to justify keeping things the way they are now.

Oh, I think it was the wrong decision to not let us be able to swim. I wasn't trying to defend DE's decision. I disagree with it. I don't think it's a positive thing that they didn't want to take the time to implement such a system. I think if they would change their water system, then they could do so much more with it in the future. I also think if they would approach their open world as a place where they can integrate existing gamemodes and gameplay features (like Hijack, Excavation, Assassination, etc.) and even new features (Kingpin is a must for landscapes, imo), and not just a place to force more grind on players, then they could really improve the gameplay experience. So far, they don't want to do that.

2 hours ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

Oh, I think it was the wrong decision to not let us be able to swim. I wasn't trying to defend DE's decision. I disagree with it. I don't think it's a positive thing that they didn't want to take the time to implement such a system.

Thanks for clarifying! Good to know we're on the same wavelength.

2 hours ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

I also think if they would approach their open world as a place where they can integrate existing gamemodes and gameplay features (like Hijack, Excavation, Assassination, etc.) and even new features (Kingpin is a must for landscapes, imo), and not just a place to force more grind on players, then they could really improve the gameplay experience.

So much this. Thanks for contributing to the discussion at hand!

Gun Zaws, eh? Should be interesting. Solaris United, sounds like a re-hashing of Steel Meridian.

Should what the video show be true or at least bear some semblance to the real thing, Venus should be interesting. I really do wish it was like a cyberpunk-ish setting: night-time, neon lights. perhaps some rain - love it. Anyway, Corpus debt slavery - sounds like CELL from Crysis.

I am not one given to speculation upon rumours nor do I really pay attention to gamers or their communities, nevertheless, thanks for sharing, OP. Hopefully what you've shown will prove to be of some use when Venus releases to much fanfare, many bugs and off-putting grind.

Edited by Mach25

• 4 weeks later...
On 2018-06-09 at 5:05 PM, (XB1)Tucker D Dawg said:

I don't really care what they do so long as they don't do more "time of day" cycles that makes it hugely inconvenient to play what you want to play when you want to play it. 

They already said Venus will have an equivalent of a day/night cycle, just that it's going to have to do with the weather. And personally, I'm looking forward to it.

The good: The new trapping mechanic is something I'm really interested in, as it seems to reward observation and slower gameplay - maybe a bit of stealth.

The bad: Never used zaws except for leveling, so gunkits are just a MR treadmill and resource sink for me.

The ugly: Railjacks looks like they're forced coop, which I hope to Lotus isn't the case or if so doesn't lock any exclusive gear/MR points/other stat changing rewards behind it.

I recently came back from a 3 years break just to finish i had missed in just 4.5 months and back to where i was bored 3 years ago.

Even if this new content is much more bigger, wilder and grindier i'm expecting 2-3 months worth of contents for full time Warframers.

Edited by Auxeus
Fix Typo

29 minutes ago, AuroraSonicBoom said:

The ugly: Railjacks looks like they're forced coop, which I hope to Lotus isn't the case or if so doesn't lock any exclusive gear/MR points/other stat changing rewards behind it.

I am forever baffled that people play a co-op game but refuse/don't want to play the game properly.

So lets discuss the inhabitants / residents of Fortuna.

I was originally under the impression that the residents would be more or less humans toiling for the Corpus or more specifically for a particular Corpus "Director". That said, the whole "debt enslavement" thing really fits here and I had a feeling that DE would go with that.

Now to address the elephant in the room: What exactly ARE the Solaris? I'm seeing some human-looking youths in some places, but for the most part I'm seeing a lot of workers that are a mismatch of robotic parts - some with human-looking arms and all with robotic heads. [DE]Steve clearly said "These people are called the Solaris...they are a body-augmented race of people that live in debt enslavement to their Corpus overlords, specifically Nef Anyo..."

There's body-augmentation like what we have with the Grineer - where at the very least limbs are replaced. But...replacing HEADS? Just...why? Are these people's brains kept in the chest or something? Or maybe these are actually just weird, patched together "proxies"?

Either way...really creepy looking. Especially with the human-looking arms.

Edited by MirageKnight

52 minutes ago, MirageKnight said:

So lets discuss the inhabitants / residents of Fortuna.

I was originally under the impression that the residents would be more or less humans toiling for the Corpus or more specifically for a particular Corpus "Director". That said, the whole "debt enslavement" thing really fits here and I had a feeling that DE would go with that.

Now to address the elephant in the room: What exactly ARE the Solaris? I'm seeing some human-looking youths in some places, but for the most part I'm seeing a lot of workers that are a mismatch of robotic parts - some with human-looking arms and all with robotic heads. [DE]Steve clearly said "These people are called the Solaris...they are a body-augmented race of people that live in debt enslavement to their Corpus overlords, specifically Nef Anyo..."

There's body-augmentation like what we have with the Grineer - where at the very least limbs are replaced. But...replacing HEADS? Just...why? Are these people's brains kept in the chest or something? Or maybe these are actually just weird, patched together "proxies"?

Either way...really creepy looking. Especially with the human-looking arms.

Easy sir! Take a page from the Glukkons of Oddworld.

"What's that? Broke your leg? GREAT! Here's your new one, be back in action for a few hours. Remember to work hard or I press the shock button."

Maybe Nef takes their heads until they pay off their debt to prevent escape? It's not like we haven't seen remote animation before.

I like the Kdrive things. Hoping there's an option to load them in the plains, as well as archwings on Venus, just separate launchers usable in landscapes.

Edited by (XB1)Kavriel

2 hours ago, AuroraSonicBoom said:

I'm not exactly happy with the possible forced co-op either.  

2 hours ago, LupisV0lk said:

I am forever baffled that people play a co-op game but refuse/don't want to play the game properly.

Could it be because the game isn't co-op only game?  Not once have we ever been forced to group up for something outside of the raids.  Notice that the raids are gone and why.  

This game can be played quite properly completely solo.  If it wasn't for solo mode, i would have never started.  😛 

Edited by DatDarkOne

1 hour ago, MirageKnight said:

Another thing that sprung to mind - the hover-boards. I'm guessing they ditched that Corpus ATV? Or perhaps they're using it for something else?

Either way, feels like another nail in Archwing's coffin.

I saw the hover boards and the first thing that came to my mind was, "I'd prefer my Itzal to this sorry snowboard." 

While the overall Venus aesthetic looks nice, if the Fortuna game-play is going to be like POE but bigger, I don't foresee myself playing much of it. I just think WF's open world game-play is pretty boring and mediocre. DE will probably try to ram it down our throats though, I can already see the next unvault being tied to relics coming from Fortuna like they did with the previous unvault.

Railjack looks cool as well, but I also don't foresee myself playing much of it. It looks really scripted and on the rails and it's essentially a rehash of Ship Sabotage except with a few more steps, and I feel it's gonna get pretty boring fast if the "tileset" and ship layout stays the same all the time. Not to mention that cutscene of going into space looks pretty long and uninteractive, not something I would want to sit through multiple times.

So do you all think that is comig in a mont or maybe sooner? https://www.warframe.com/fortuna?utm_campaign=tennocon2018&utm_source=pcgamer&utm_content=venus&utm_medium=site-skin  And I need this update more then I whose looking for PoE and umbra combine... And now I have good reason not 2 buy other games like for example Anthem and Division 2 😏👍

Edited by Vlada91