Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New GPU Particles and goodbye to PhysX FX!

[DE]Rebecca

Since Warframe began, our PhysX Particles have not been 'one size fits all'. They've been tied to specific GPUs, never on console, and it's been a visually delightful but imbalanced experience. The next Mainline update (this May) will see "Nvidia PhysX Effects" become a new, universal & proprietary experience: "GPU Particles". Read on for the Why, How, and When!

Why?
The latest version of PhysX (the physics framework that Warframe uses to simulate the world) is dropping support for the physics particle simulation feature. So in order to be able to take advantage of the many performance and stability improvements that Nvidia has made to PhysX over recent years, we're making a new particle system solution ourselves! This new GPU Particle system will be less RAM intensive, work on all Platforms, AND be completely optional!

How?
We are converting the main PhysX items to our new GPU Particle system. We'll have many particle FX converted at launch, but will spend some time continuing to upgrade our catalog throughout the year. Our new system is universal, works on almost all GPUs (really old ones might be out of luck), is not locked to a given manufacturer, and is not locked to PC!

When?
We expect to have Mainline with GPU Particles on PC mid-May! Consoles can expect GPU Particles soon after PC.

Bonus: What?
Now I’m sure you’re wondering how all of this will look! Here are our new GPU Particles in action.

A particle burst from our tests in April. You can see them interact with the environment as they hit the floor:giphy.gif

Added more features earlier this month! GPU Particles respond to game physics and gravity
giphy.gif

More refined particle physics: GPU Particles respond to explosions and collisions
giphy.gif

Beautiful visuals. All platforms. This month! This is shaping up to be a particle-arly lovely update 😉 Thanks for playing Warframe!

Ah yes the famous "glitter f*rt," I remember that tweet >.< Joking aside, the whole effort put into building this new particle system is astounding! And it'll be a universal in-house solution regardless of platform, independent from the "Red vs Green"! Looking forward to going over my entire arsenal to see how things have changed :satisfied:

26 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

The next Mainline update (this May) 

This new GPU Particle system will be less RAM intensive,

Sacrifice quest!!!

Yes... ram memory is my biggest issue. I'm crossing my fingers that this change won't cause another Harrow Crisis.

35 minutes ago, xD_1712 said:

1 hour ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

When?
We expect to have Mainline with GPU Particles on PC mid-May! Consoles can expect GPU Particles soon after PC.

Huh do we have hinty hint here for a Sacrifice release window? :3

(wishful thinking ^^ and no, please don't rush it, have it "bake in the oven" as long as it has to)

@[DE]Rebecca, I've been watching @[DE]Steve on Twitter fiddling with them, and I believe this video will give you quite the flashback. It's in the spoiler so my post doesn't clutter the forum.

Spoiler

...In my opinion, a new wave of trailer cinematics should be created, but trying to stay close to these older ones, but that can come after Sacrifice, or even Venus.

That said, I am eagerly looking forward to a cosmetic set made purely from these new particles.

Any time Steve talks about this I get really excited as it's literally a game changer to me. The artists of this game are very talented and this type of thing can be so powerful in the hands of creative and talented artists. ❤️ it!

Archived