Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A post trying to give Chroma identity and stuff.

DTKlonoa

The Warframe Chroma (to me) fell from what little glory he had when the Shrines of the Eidelon update dropped, being nerfed only because DE didn't really like how quick Chroma was when it came to killing Eidelons, despite the fact that us as a community found alternatives after what felt like an instant. Despite that I would like to suggest my ideas on a rework for Chroma and give him a new identity then being a tank frame that players that don't like Rhino.

To make this clear: THIS IS NOT AN ATTEMPT TO MAKE HIM OVER-POWERED

I will begin with his first ability: Spectral Scream

To put it bluntly, its awful. Being able to run around and jump doesn't help either, since its less effective then running around with a burnt out match.

What would make it good is that if the range of SS would be at a fixed length, but the wideness of the cone that it does is narrower/larger depending on range mods. Similar to Harrow's condemn ability. On top of that, how about when he's using a different element, it has different effects. changes to SS before could be applied for fire, as well as adding to do the same thing in mid air, but if you do it in mid air instead of the ground, you glide down while breathing fire setting an area ablaze (size and duration are affected by mods).

For the ice aspect of Chroma, it allows him to throw large javelins of ice that explode on impact (similar to the Astilla shotgun, but the explosion size can be modified with mods) with a chance to do cold procs to all foes hit with the javelin. While taking a page from both Atlas and Rhino the javelins can be thrown in rapid succession costing slightly less. (Combo duration is the same as Rhino and Atlas')

For the shock aspect of Chroma, I honestly dont really know what to suggest. I was thinking something like the Amprex but with a lot less critical hits and more chaining to enemies like some sort of Tesla coil, but I didn't think that would be creative enough since Vauban can already do that, even if its weak. Sorry 😕

For the toxin aspect of Chroma, he could do the same thing to an infested osprey: flying in a straight line and creating toxic clouds that inflict toxin procs. But similar to Zephyr you can look anywhere and fly in that direction, and dive bomb to create a giant cloud of gas around you. But unlike Zephyr, Chroma's toxic flight is slower and costs WAY MORE energy to do so. This concludes my thoughts and ideas for changing his first ability. Which will synergies with my ideas on changing his second ability.

Chroma's elemental ward

Like Vauban and Ivara, Chroma should be able to change his element into whatever one is best for the situation at hand: Bunch of guns pointed at you? Shift to ice and reflect it back to foes! Fighting the infested? Activate fire to burn them down and give yourself more health then really needed! Your beefy gun that has -50% reload speed due to a riven and is out of ammo? Shift to toxin mode and reload faster and roll around twice as much as if you're in monster hunter! The ability to change elements would be a Christmas Miracle mostly because in a coordinated team in the onslaught can ask for elemental buffs to either speed up killing or assist in enduring a barrage of bombards. But there's a problem with the ability. Don't get me wrong, its a nice ability where you can activate to give you and anyone standing in the exact same place as you are, as in you NEVER GIVE ANYONE THE BUFF. The range of the ward being passed to an ally is completely awful, and (reasonably) should have everlasting ward as a default part of the ability with a fixed range (9 meters would be good) but in it's place a new augment (dont know what to call it) can take its place, where it upgrades the element to an elemental combo and does the following: Fire becomes blast, ice becomes magnetic, shock becomes radiation, and toxin becomes corrosive. Effects goes as follows:

Blast stores up damage you take over time and at the end of the duration you deal all of the damage stored up, but you still get the buff effects from the fire ward. Range can be improved to a maximum of 25 meters, and only applied to Chroma, allies get the fire buff only.

Magnetic ward will give chroma the ability to absorb range damage from allies and reflect it to whatever enemy is nearby, but don't worry! The ice ward is still given to chroma and his allies, its just that if Chroma is close by, he'll take the damage for you if he's nearby, even if its a bombard rocket.

Radiation Chroma becomes a walking sortie condition, for the enemy. Chroma's presence becomes a radiation hazard at a base distance of 15 meters, and can be increased and deal more damage over time with mods as usual. this effect only applies to Chroma but allies get the electric buff as if the augment wasn't equipped.

Corrosive Chroma's aura now deals corrosive damage instead of toxin damage for the sake of armor stripping and is applied to all allies that get the ward as well.

Important note:

Although it changes the effects of elemental ward, I'm unsure if it should affect spectral scream. If you think so I'd like to hear your thoughts about it.

Chroma's Vex Armor

The reason Chroma was nerfed, but the nerf was a bit much, since they could have just applied a maximum like they did with Trinity's blessing (When it used to be 99% damage reduction for the entire map). All I ask is to give Chroma back his vex armor fury buff (Not scorn because that makes Vigor useful for once) and give it a maximum of somewhere between 150% and 250%, and maybe a slight cost reduction. Other then that I have nothing else to say.

Effigy

Rarely anyone uses an effigy build since it was changed to not work with the Secura Lectra, even if the Index is the best place to get credits now a days. But since Chroma is 'marketed' as a dragon, even if he's just a guy wearing dragon pelt. I along with others, want Chroma to take to the skies and become a dragon. We have a flying pixie, but why do we not have a flying dragon? Stupid questions aside, here's some ideas on how it can work.

Primary fire allows you to do Chroma's Spectral scream in the color currently selected, while secondary fire changes the element allowing Chroma to barrage foes with different elements. (Toxin Chroma launches a ball of toxin that explodes and leaves a toxin cloud for those wondering)

The effigy's energy cost should work the same as Valkyr's hysteria (cost goes up over time as it's in use, but instead its slightly slower compared to Valk)

Passive

His passive effect is just an explination to his mechanic, which is basically as effective as nothing. With these changes, I think cutting duration reduction to negative aliments applied onto Chroma in half (pretty much rapid resilience)

Thank you for reading my thoughts and ideas on how to change Chroma, and I hope you have a nice day 🙂

I like some of your ideas for his First ability and the augment for the second. This also the first I've seen suggesting the element change on his second, which I think makes way more sense than so many people asking for it on his first.

As far as his first Spectral Scream goes, I'd prefer in general if it had long range and continually fired high speed projectiles for Fire and Ice rather than just a spray cone. It can keep the spraying cone for dealing close range CC/damage but I'd like for it to be an ability that adds damage and status to whatever's targeted. If the Electric was like an Amprex beam that be great, would need some tweaks to separate them maybe shoots multiple beams that reach and chain different distances, and yeah obvs not the crits and damage output of an Amprex. Makes for a great quick stun effect for sure though. Toxic being a a persisting gas cloud also works great, so long as it's persistent beyond the other effects and deals more damage overall but lacks some of the range capacities of the other three. Overall it's relatively light damage over time and good status spread over time.

The 2nd Augment idea is a bit rough, I do really like it though. I think if there's a better way to access the secondary damage types it'd be better. Not sure exactly how that'd work.

I don't like your idea for the 4th though sorry, no thanks for me I'd much prefer Effigy was just more effective in it's crowd control and dealing damage. Having his first being active allowing for Effigy to take advantage of some more status and blasting enemies with shots would be a nice addition. Perhaps it could consume enemies under certain conditions, like a second cast, to either quickly deal with high priority targets or to give some sort of bonus to Chroma/allies upon consuming an enemy.

3 minutes ago, Sasuda said:

I like some of your ideas for his First ability and the augment for the second. This also the first I've seen suggesting the element change on his second, which I think makes way more sense than so many people asking for it on his first.

As far as his first Spectral Scream goes, I'd prefer in general if it had long range and continually fired high speed projectiles for Fire and Ice rather than just a spray cone. It can keep the spraying cone for dealing close range CC/damage but I'd like for it to be an ability that adds damage and status to whatever's targeted. If the Electric was like an Amprex beam that be great, would need some tweaks to separate them maybe shoots multiple beams that reach and chain different distances, and yeah obvs not the crits and damage output of an Amprex. Makes for a great quick stun effect for sure though. Toxic being a a persisting gas cloud also works great, so long as it's persistent beyond the other effects and deals more damage overall but lacks some of the range capacities of the other three. Overall it's relatively light damage over time and good status spread over time.

The 2nd Augment idea is a bit rough, I do really like it though. I think if there's a better way to access the secondary damage types it'd be better. Not sure exactly how that'd work.

I don't like your idea for the 4th though sorry, no thanks for me I'd much prefer Effigy was just more effective in it's crowd control and dealing damage. Having his first being active allowing for Effigy to take advantage of some more status and blasting enemies with shots would be a nice addition. Perhaps it could consume enemies under certain conditions, like a second cast, to either quickly deal with high priority targets or to give some sort of bonus to Chroma/allies upon consuming an enemy.

I agree with your idea of the shock element of spectral scream, and your thoughts on Chroma's 4th, even if I rarely used it for that reason.

The real struggle with the 2nd ability augment would really come down to numbers (I think), and I didn't really wanted to focus on that aspect, instead I only focused on functions and how it worked.

I agree with the proposal for Chroma's Elemental Ward and Everlasting Ward changes to add more elemental flexibility, but the question becomes:
Can the servers stand the added payload of three more elemental colours per cosmetic slot per Chroma (3x3=9x[Players_who_own_Chroma]=[A lot] )?

However, abandoning Chroma's Effigy for basically a stronger Spectral Scream is not a good idea. I'm going to post how I would go about giving Chroma life below:
Chroma Revisit is in the spoiler below. In theory, this may sound a little OP. In practice, you'll quickly realize that isn't the case, since we've got frames like Nidus, Inaros, Excalibur, Harrow, Gara, and Octavia to name a few.

Spoiler

Passive: Sentient Adaptation:

Whenever Chroma takes damage, he will begin to negate one damage type until another damage type does more damage. Applies only when pelt is on or within affinity range of the Effigy. [Edit: This ensures it's not as overpowered as the fully functional Hunhow-Sentient version.]

1: Spectral Scream:

-Tapping would cause Chroma to scream, stunning enemies for a duration and opening them to finishers.

-Holding this will cause him to enter the original Spectral Scream; an exalted weapon mode which can be disabled by swapping weapons or holding the ability again.

-Tapping the ability after entering the weapon mode will cause Chroma to buffet the area infront of him.

-Holding the trigger causes him to exhale both his chosen element and the element he has been negating.

-Aimgliding while in this weapon mode is infinite, and unbound by gravity, but drains energy; the Pelt's wings will be present, and flap appropriately to explain this visually.
[Edit: -Damage dealt will stack on a combo counter which drains fast, but also ramps up fast from the damage ticks, allowing Spectral Scream to work as a weapon with the only drawback being the need for strength and efficiency mods to make full use, unless you run with Rage in your build.]

2: Elemental Ward.

-Tapping will cause Chroma to switch through his base elements, removing: any combined damage acquired from using 1, all (de)buffs, and disabling powers for one second. During this time, Chroma's passive will not function and his energy will refund itself from all powers, damage, and (de)buffs attained.

-Holding for a time will activate a buff related to the damage type you've received most, and the chosen element's buff.

-It will also heal you if you are taking direct health damage. [Edit: At cost to it's duration, perhaps?]

-Element icons can be used to represent each element he can swap to.

3: Vex Armour:

-Tapping will activate it as normal. Recasting will stack it's previous buff on top of a fresh one. A stacking combo counter will display above it.

-Nullifiers cannot nullify this so long as the pelt is equipped; recasting within it's duration discounts energy cost if pelt is also still equipped.
[Edit: This will allow Chroma, if he can handle continuously stacking and taking lots of damage, to reach his original OP damage values, which, by then, would make Sortie difficulty feel balanced, for Chroma and anyone affected by Vex Armour. To ensure others don't become OP, the extra stacks could optionally not be counted when an ally is affected by this ability.]

4: Effigy:

-Tapping will spawn the Effigy. Tapping again will cause it to use Chroma's scream at no extra cost, at the price of the stunned enemies not being finisher-enabled (duration is doubled). [Edit: This provides an exit strategy.]

-This extra-tap function is overriden by the 'move Effigy' augment. Any damage taken within an area around the Effigy (or by Chroma himself) will be redirected at the Effigy. The Effigy adapts to damage and will switch elements instantaneously, and at random; can be affected by Chroma tapping his 2 to force it to pick that element. [Edit: This gives incentive to use the Effigy as a different route for damage negation or proc application.]

-Hold to reclaim Effigy.

2 minutes ago, Koldraxon-732 said:

I agree with the proposal for Chroma's Elemental Ward and Everlasting Ward changes to add more elemental flexibility, but the question becomes:
Can the servers stand the added payload of three more elemental colours per cosmetic slot per Chroma (3x3=9x[Players_who_own_Chroma]=[A lot] )?

However, abandoning Chroma's Effigy for basically a stronger Spectral Scream is not a good idea. I'm going to post how I would go about giving Chroma life below:
Chroma Revisit is in the spoiler below. In theory, this may sound a little OP. In practice, you'll quickly realize that isn't the case, since we've got frames like Nidus, Inaros, Excalibur, Harrow, Gara, and Octavia to name a few.

Reveal hidden contents

Passive: Sentient Adaptation:

Whenever Chroma takes damage, he will begin to negate one damage type until another damage type does more damage. Applies only when pelt is on or within affinity range of the Effigy. [Edit: This ensures it's not as overpowered as the fully functional Hunhow-Sentient version.]

1: Spectral Scream:

-Tapping would cause Chroma to scream, stunning enemies for a duration and opening them to finishers.

-Holding this will cause him to enter the original Spectral Scream; an exalted weapon mode which can be disabled by swapping weapons or holding the ability again.

-Tapping the ability after entering the weapon mode will cause Chroma to buffet the area infront of him.

-Holding the trigger causes him to exhale both his chosen element and the element he has been negating.

-Aimgliding while in this weapon mode is infinite, and unbound by gravity, but drains energy; the Pelt's wings will be present, and flap appropriately to explain this visually.
[Edit: -Damage dealt will stack on a combo counter which drains fast, but also ramps up fast from the damage ticks, allowing Spectral Scream to work as a weapon with the only drawback being the need for strength and efficiency mods to make full use, unless you run with Rage in your build.]

2: Elemental Ward.

-Tapping will cause Chroma to switch through his base elements, removing: any combined damage acquired from using 1, all (de)buffs, and disabling powers for one second. During this time, Chroma's passive will not function and his energy will refund itself from all powers, damage, and (de)buffs attained.

-Holding for a time will activate a buff related to the damage type you've received most, and the chosen element's buff.

-It will also heal you if you are taking direct health damage. [Edit: At cost to it's duration, perhaps?]

-Element icons can be used to represent each element he can swap to.

3: Vex Armour:

-Tapping will activate it as normal. Recasting will stack it's previous buff on top of a fresh one. A stacking combo counter will display above it.

-Nullifiers cannot nullify this so long as the pelt is equipped; recasting within it's duration discounts energy cost if pelt is also still equipped.
[Edit: This will allow Chroma, if he can handle continuously stacking and taking lots of damage, to reach his original OP damage values, which, by then, would make Sortie difficulty feel balanced, for Chroma and anyone affected by Vex Armour. To ensure others don't become OP, the extra stacks could optionally not be counted when an ally is affected by this ability.]

4: Effigy:

-Tapping will spawn the Effigy. Tapping again will cause it to use Chroma's scream at no extra cost, at the price of the stunned enemies not being finisher-enabled (duration is doubled). [Edit: This provides an exit strategy.]

-This extra-tap function is overriden by the 'move Effigy' augment. Any damage taken within an area around the Effigy (or by Chroma himself) will be redirected at the Effigy. The Effigy adapts to damage and will switch elements instantaneously, and at random; can be affected by Chroma tapping his 2 to force it to pick that element. [Edit: This gives incentive to use the Effigy as a different route for damage negation or proc application.]

-Hold to reclaim Effigy.

You're probably right on the fact that abandoning effigy for something way stronger is a bad idea. I only tried to pitch an idea to make him unique instead of a frame under Atlas and Rhino's shadow. Clearly I need to put a bit more thought into effigy. But I adore your Effigy ideas.

As for elemental ward and the color cosmetic slots... I was thinking the energy thing could be a separate link similar to the attachment and syandana tabs.

14 minutes ago, Koldraxon-732 said:

added payload of three more elemental colours per cosmetic slot per Chroma

Given how much Khora and Venari add, I'm pretty confident it'd be easily possible.

7 minutes ago, Sasuda said:

Given how much Khora and Venari add, I'm pretty confident it'd be easily possible.

I wouldn't know since I have yet to get Khora.

But if its the same as I've seen in the dev streams, it opes up a lot of stuff

I've been really trying to play Chroma lately, I bought the Graxx skin that looks so badass...🤩 anyway, while he's not horrible, he is pretty lackluster... his 1 and 4 are pretty bad, and I don't use them. his 3,4 although usefull, are not interesting and need to be refreshed too often, even when max building for duration... 

Your ideas are all vast improvements, well done.👍

17 hours ago, StabbyTentacles said:

I've been really trying to play Chroma lately, I bought the Graxx skin that looks so badass...🤩 anyway, while he's not horrible, he is pretty lackluster... his 1 and 4 are pretty bad, and I don't use them. his 3,4 although usefull, are not interesting and need to be refreshed too often, even when max building for duration... 

Your ideas are all vast improvements, well done.👍

Thanks man 😄

• 3 weeks later...

duh... I'll be frank, I only read diagonally your suggestions, mainly because I assume it is wrong since the 1st step, assuming chroma is currently in a bad shape.

What' I'll do is tell you how I feel this current Chroma, with examples.

About general situations, he's still tankier than most frames, unless you really don't know how to build him. You can still have more than decent power (especially with growing power and conversion) while counting on the fact that being damaged means you get more armor and more damage overall (i'm speaking at least +400% here)

If enemies are too low to actually damage you, you actually don't need the extra damage to end them.

About eidolons, you'd go with HP, armor, an insane amount of power and duration, at the cost of range and efficiency, i'm speaking about 70% efficiency-ish (that is MINUS 30) and 34% range. Considering you're doing the eidolons, you should not be afraid to use a few consumables, and there is usually one guy bringing in a ZENURIK with the energy-AoE-Dash.

You get like 800%+dmg for 40+ seconds, at a high cost, true, but the result is very much worth the cost.

Some players like to remove their shield by using a dragon key. I don't. Losing shield is what makes you tougher, able to withstand the very same magnetic AoE that oneshot those volt and trinity players.

On a side note, That very same build I bring to AMBULAS ASSASSINATION Sorties. You know, that lvl 100 highly resilient boss you got to kill and defend multiple times, while being bombarded by Frohd Bek's ship or DEATH-STAR-BEAMED in the face ? I facetank this with chroma, not even moving, taking 3dmg per tick...true, multiple time per second, but I guess losing like 12-15 hp/second and keeping everyone else untargetted isn't that high a price to pay for the success of the mission.

Back to the eidolon now : lower range means people have to stand near you to get the buff, but what a buff. if you don't have the Lanka with a handful of formas and a riven (which I have) you can still let other players have even more damage, just by standing near them, as there isn't so many good spots to stand at when dealing with the eidolon's joints, as long as your group is focused on doing things logically, you shouldn't have any problem providing an uber-buff to those with better weapons.

About the Secondary weapon : I use castanas (sancti) with this build, to self-damage myself, and with time, I got a riven for these. And I made good use of my usual lack of luck concerning riven rolls, and obtained one with added impact (useless) some other stat I can't remember (utilitary) and a malus in critical chance... more than MINUS 100%. Meaning I removed all chance of crits from castanas and basically made sure that the outcome of the blast is ALWAYS the same, then I worked the damage in simulacrum, tweaking and fiddling til I found the exact value allowing me to get the maximum dmg buff without loosing more HP than needed, (and those are covered by the sentinels medi-ray).

So, for a frame able to facetank a death-star like laser like it's a tanning lounge, while being able to oneshot about anything in the game, albeit at a heavy increase in cost and range, while facemelting the lvl 100 Ambulas with spectral scream in 3 seconds each, I don't think "burnt-out match" is the right qualificative.

It's perfect guy, really nice, but a 60% more scorn i think that should be added at your idea, because actually he dies too much fast... But with this Chroma will become perfect, good tank and high damage dealer, can help the squad with all his power and he will be really funny.

GOOD IDEA, I hope for DE would listen at your post