Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Optimal damage types for higher level mobs.

NurglesSocks

Question

I usually go with corrosive for grineer and gas for corpus. If I can I mix the corrosive with blast (for grineer) and the gas with magnetic (for corpus) but a lot of the time I don't have enough room for 4 dedicated mod slots to do this. 

Now I have started doing index recently and I realized that gas isn't cutting it like it used to.... what should I be using instead, please? 

Corrosive has been pretty good for grineer tbh, but i can probs step up my game for higher tier enemies as well. 

Just looking for some general advice when it comes to gearing up for higher level stuff. 

25 answers to this question

It can depend on the weapon being used. Primary / Secondary and Melee matter as well.

Vs Grineer Armored

• Status Primaries / Secondaries: Corrosive + Slash, Corrosive + Heat, Corrosive + Blast, Non-Status Hunter's Munitions
  • Status Melee: Corrosive + Heat, Corrosive, Viral + Slash, Pure Slash, Non-Status Shattering Impact

Vs Grineer Unarmored

• Status Primaries / Secondaries: Gas / Slash, Non-Status Viral / Viral + Heat
  • Status Melee Gas + Slash, Non-Status Viral + Slash

Vs Corpus

• Status Primaries Gas + Electric, Slash, Non-Status Primaries Viral w/ Primed Cryo Rounds,  Pure Toxic
  • Status Secondaries Gas, Slash, Non-Status Primaries Viral + Heat w/ Primed Heated Charge, Pure Toxic
  • Status Melee, Gas + Electric, Viral + Slash, Non-Status Pure Toxic

Vs Infested

• Pretty much just Corrosive + Slash and Radiation for CC, Gas is o-k.

You pretty much treat Index enemies like armored Grineer. I find Status Slash works well to bypass both Shields and Armor. Gas + Electric on a fast Melee using Shattering Impact works well too since their base armor values aren't that high.

Just now, NurglesSocks said:

thanks... but only for index? 

Well...yes they are weak against this combination. 

But in normal gameplay I mostly stick to corrosive or viral with Hunter Munitions, depending on the weapon.

7 minutes ago, Kyoresh said:

Well...yes they are weak against this combination. 

But in normal gameplay I mostly stick to corrosive or viral with Hunter Munitions, depending on the weapon.

isn't hunter munitions only useful if you have a crit weapon? 

I find gas shreds most corpus tbh. it completely bypasses the shields. it works for star map at least. 

PS: if the index corpus are weak against this, surely all corpus will be weak against it?

Edited by NurglesSocks

vor 20 Minuten schrieb NurglesSocks:

I can I mix the corrosive with blast (for grineer) and the gas with magnetic (for corpus)

Don't do that. Blast knocks them down and prevents Corrosive Procs.

Also many Grineer have -25% on Blast (Ferrite Armor). Stick to pure Corrosive or if you need more Status for 100% (Tigris) go with Rad/Viral.

Magnetic may be good for Corpus but you lose so much more dmg that it's mostly not worth.

As for your Index Problem. Like stated use Rad/Viral and Shield Disruption. They have a really high Shield value which can be cut down huge with 2-3 Auras

3 minutes ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

Don't do that. Blast knocks them down and prevents Corrosive Procs.

Also many Grineer have -25% on Blast (Ferrite Armor). Stick to pure Corrosive or if you need more Status for 100% (Tigris) go with Rad/Viral.

Magnetic may be good for Corpus but you lose so much more dmg that it's mostly not worth.

As for your Index Problem. Like stated use Rad/Viral and Shield Disruption. They have a really high Shield value which can be cut down huge with 2-3 Auras

ok so for regular corpus, what instead of gas? 

and I know corr/blast knocks them down, but almost every piece of info you find advises you mod for corr/blast. 

I wish this game would just sort out what works as you never seem to get the same answer more than once. ha ha. 

literally almost every build you read about for armour stripping says to use corr/blast. like pox with corr/blast for example or phage with corr/blast. if it is counter productive then why do people do it and furthermore, why do they make guides and post it?

PS: also a lot of weapons are best with 4 elemental mods on them. I'm sorry just most of this info I'm getting here runs counter to what I already know. It's confusing. 

Edited by NurglesSocks

5 minutes ago, NurglesSocks said:

isn't hunter munitions only useful if you have a crit weapon? 

I find gas shreds most corpus tbh. it completely bypasses the shields. it works for star map at least. 

PS: if the index corpus are weak against this, surely all corpus will be weak against it?

Index corpus have armor. So Gas isnt strong against them. Sou can check the wiki or the codex to see ehich dmg is strong against which enemy.

1 minute ago, Kyoresh said:

Index corpus have armor. So Gas isnt strong against them. Sou can check the wiki or the codex to see ehich dmg is strong against which enemy.

already done that. thats how I came to the conclusion of gas/mag for corpus and corr/blast for grineer (which is the info I've been using the past 4 months) granted I've only just started adding blast or mag to elemental based weapons in the past few days. 

I wish people would stop peddling this corr/blast thing if it's counter productive though. I mean I've passed this info on to tons of newer players than myself. 

vor 1 Minute schrieb NurglesSocks:

ok so for regular corpus, what instead of gas? 

and I know corr/blast knocks them down, but almost every piece of info you find advises you mod for corr/blast. 

I wish this game would just sort out what works as you never seem to get the same answer more than once. ha ha. 

I can only repeat myself.

Just Corrosive or Rad/Viral for Grineer, Just Toxin/Gas to bypass Corpus Shield

Or use Slash procs, which also bypasses Corpus Shields and ignore Grineer Armor.

As for Infested go for Corrosive (and maybe Blast) since Corrosive is effective against Ancients (and you maybe want to disable them by knockdown) and the creeps die anyways

2 minutes ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

I can only repeat myself.

Just Corrosive or Rad/Viral for Grineer, Just Toxin/Gas to bypass Corpus Shield

Or use Slash procs, which also bypasses Corpus Shields and ignore Grineer Armor.

As for Infested go for Corrosive (and maybe Blast) since Corrosive is effective against Ancients (and you maybe want to disable them by knockdown) and the creeps die anyways

thanks... yeah this is what I have been doing and never really had any problems. But now I know index enemies have armour too, I know why my gas damage was slow. 

good to know about the blast damage anyway. I wonder why people keep making guides with corr/blast damage as the best armour stripping tool them if it actually runs counter. I guess they got it wrong 😄 

thanks for the info anyway man.. appreciated. 

PS: I'd never used blast or mag till recently. I started adding a 2nd elemental combo based on guides I found online. If it wasn't for these guides I'd never have done it in the first place.... I worked out gas was better than mag in the first couple of days, and blast knocking stuff down just annoyed me as I thought things were dead and they'd get back up again. 

Edited by NurglesSocks

2 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

It can depend on the weapon being used. Primary / Secondary and Melee matter as well.

Vs Grineer Armored

• Status Primaries / Secondaries: Corrosive + Slash, Corrosive + Heat, Corrosive + Blast, Non-Status Hunter's Munitions
  • Status Melee: Corrosive + Heat, Corrosive, Viral + Slash, Pure Slash, Non-Status Shattering Impact

Vs Grineer Unarmored

• Status Primaries / Secondaries: Gas / Slash, Non-Status Viral / Viral + Heat
  • Status Melee Gas + Slash, Non-Status Viral + Slash

Vs Corpus

• Status Primaries Gas + Electric, Slash, Non-Status Primaries Viral w/ Primed Cryo Rounds,  Pure Toxic
  • Status Secondaries Gas, Slash, Non-Status Primaries Viral + Heat w/ Primed Heated Charge, Pure Toxic
  • Status Melee, Gas + Electric, Viral + Slash, Non-Status Pure Toxic

Vs Infested

• Pretty much just Corrosive + Slash and Radiation for CC, Gas is o-k.

You pretty much treat Index enemies like armored Grineer. I find Status Slash works well to bypass both Shields and Armor. Gas + Electric on a fast Melee using Shattering Impact works well too since their base armor values aren't that high.

thanks, will have to see if I have a shattering impact. 

14 minutes ago, NurglesSocks said:

thanks, will have to see if I have a shattering impact. 

Another thing to add is: armor isnt = armor.

there are different types like ferrit, alloy or fossilized.

16 minutes ago, Kyoresh said:

Another thing to add is: armor isnt = armor.

there are different types like ferrit, alloy or fossilized.

thanks. 

I know that elite lancers have a different type of armour so corrosive doesn't work on them as a friend was telling me about it. 

I guess you can't mod for everything you're going to encounter in a mission... I mean unless you deck out your weapons with different combos I guess (is this what I'm, supposed to be doing anyway?) I was back when I was fighting those sentient guys. had a different combo on each weapon, but I mostly tend to stick to the same damage types.

I used to pick a weapon with a good main damage type matched to the enemy type as well before I learned about slash procs. 

I'd take impact for corpus and puncture for grineer.... it's not that easy to find good puncture weapons, especially melee. 

Edited by NurglesSocks

Fossilized isn't armor. You use Status Corrosive against both Ferrite and Alloy armor because of the way armor scales.

Radiation will do little against Alloy armor later in levels even though it has a 75% bonus and ignores 75% of their armor values. In order to deal with armor you rely on the status effects from Corrosive or Slash. Armor types make little difference later in levels. The biggest is that Ferrite will drop faster with Corrosive because it still has the bonus modifier but you can't take down a lvl 300 Alloy enemy with Radiation It's just not going to happen in a realistic time frame.

48 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

Fossilized isn't armor. You use Status Corrosive against both Ferrite and Alloy armor because of the way armor scales.

Radiation will do little against Alloy armor later in levels even though it has a 75% bonus and ignores 75% of their armor values. In order to deal with armor you rely on the status effects from Corrosive or Slash. Armor types make little difference later in levels. The biggest is that Ferrite will drop faster with Corrosive because it still has the bonus modifier but you can't take down a lvl 300 Alloy enemy with Radiation It's just not going to happen in a realistic time frame.

a friend is telling me now that corrosive/fire is good for armour striping? this guy is considered an "expert" as well by many so hopefully this info is good. ha ha. 

the same guy swears by the torid though, so maybe he's crazy 😄 

59 minutes ago, catastrophy said:

Last time I played warframe I switched most build from corrosive to radiation viral and now you telling me it's not good? I use that vs grineer and corpus and corrosive vs infested.

I don't know?

I know that this combo is best if you have armour striping. This is what I learned was best for 4 x CP teams. I'm not sure otherwise, not a combo I have used before. 

On the grineer, how are you getting by the armour. slash procs?

Edited by NurglesSocks

2 hours ago, NurglesSocks said:

a friend is telling me now that corrosive/fire is good for armour striping? this guy is considered an "expert" as well by many so hopefully this info is good. ha ha. 

the same guy swears by the torid though, so maybe he's crazy 😄 

It's not a generalized fact but It's one of the good options.

Weapons which have a massive amount of status triggers per second. Usually Elemental damage based guns or melee thanks to Condition Overload are candidates. Most guns don't have room for it or the extra Heat damage robs them of much needed Corrosive procs. Paracyst, Khom and a Riven powered Mara Detron come to mind as guns that would use Corrosive + Heat.

If the weapon can fully strip armor before the enemy is even half health then Heat might be a good option since it will give you a decent modifier against C.Flesh though for most primaries, using something like a Primed Bane mod for more raw damage output is usually a better option, though Heat does provide CC which is always something to consider.

Torrid is an amazing weapon against high level armor and provides good CC. There's some off-beat weapons that trivialize armor.

In the end what elements to use ( If any ) depends on the frame, gun and level range of enemies, it even depends if you have the Primed version of certain mods. Why I mentioned multiple options per faction.

4 hours ago, NurglesSocks said:

I don't know?

I know that this combo is best if you have armour striping. This is what I learned was best for 4 x CP teams. I'm not sure otherwise, not a combo I have used before. 

On the grineer, how are you getting by the armour. slash procs?

Usually? More bullet. More headshot. Or Banshee. Banshee is pretty much my Sortieframe. The idea was to use the radiation procs as additional CC but in practice I rarely see it happen because I rather want them dead than standing around shooting wildly.

2 hours ago, Xzorn said:

It's not a generalized fact but It's one of the good options.

Weapons which have a massive amount of status triggers per second. Usually Elemental damage based guns or melee thanks to Condition Overload are candidates. Most guns don't have room for it or the extra Heat damage robs them of much needed Corrosive procs. Paracyst, Khom and a Riven powered Mara Detron come to mind as guns that would use Corrosive + Heat.

If the weapon can fully strip armor before the enemy is even half health then Heat might be a good option since it will give you a decent modifier against C.Flesh though for most primaries, using something like a Primed Bane mod for more raw damage output is usually a better option, though Heat does provide CC which is always something to consider.

Torrid is an amazing weapon against high level armor and provides good CC. There's some off-beat weapons that trivialize armor.

In the end what elements to use ( If any ) depends on the frame, gun and level range of enemies, it even depends if you have the Primed version of certain mods. Why I mentioned multiple options per faction.

how would you mod the torid do you think, like corrosive and heat for armour striping. You think there could be a version for with corpus as well?

I originally built it for saryn as it has an AoE effect. 

44 minutes ago, NurglesSocks said:

how would you mod the torid do you think, like corrosive and heat for armour striping. You think there could be a version for with corpus as well?

I originally built it for saryn as it has an AoE effect. 

Torrid is a versatile weapon that can be build for full Status or Crit / Status but the key to it's success is having enough CC in play to keep enemies inside the clouds it makes since those are 3/4 of it's damage. Usually Corrosive + Blast will do the trick against armor. If you had a Riven with +%Status it might be able to get away with Corrosive + Heat but on it's own Heat doesn't keep enemies locked down well enough though if you  have other CC methods in play like Nova's Slow for instance then you can work around that.

Against Corpus ( non Index ) I've had most success with a Toxic + Blast Crit / Status build. Gas + Electric can work but like Corrosive + Heat for armor, you'll need something extra to keep enemies locked down. It happens to work esp well against Nullifiers bubbles and all the trashy ground AoE.

Against Infested it would be Cirt / Status Corrosive + Blast though I'd personally prolly use something like Lenz against Infested.

I've made special case build as well like a pure Corrosive build with Octavia and a pure Viral Crit build for CPx4 Nova.

The codex tells you what stuff is weak to....  in general you have some enemies from a faction who have extra protection and require a different damage type to deal with armor/shields.   

Grineer are weak to radiation but some of them are also armored which is weak to corrosion.

Corpus are weak to magnetic since they all have shields,  dont know what the alt damage needed is...

Infested are mostly weak to corrosion from what I saw in codex... but it feels like the majority should be weak to viral (and alt corrosion cuz some are armored).   Those plague star zaw parts are all for viral damage and they should be anti infested right?  But thats not what I saw in codex...   

Instead of going for a second double element I just use BANE's and crit/status/other mod.

All your weapons have ABC loadouts so all my guns and melee are the same  radiation/magnet/corrosion...  Swap to whatever is needed for hard missions.  

I dont feel like you run into the alternative damage type enemies enough to warrant using those as your primary... like corrosive vs grineer... but maybe im wrong.  It definately sounds waaay smarter to be prepared for the tough enemies more than the weak ones lol  

On 2018-05-08 at 3:20 AM, (PS4)AbBaNdOn_IGN said:

The codex tells you what stuff is weak to....  in general you have some enemies from a faction who have extra protection and require a different damage type to deal with armor/shields.   

Grineer are weak to radiation but some of them are also armored which is weak to corrosion.

Corpus are weak to magnetic since they all have shields,  dont know what the alt damage needed is...

Infested are mostly weak to corrosion from what I saw in codex... but it feels like the majority should be weak to viral (and alt corrosion cuz some are armored).   Those plague star zaw parts are all for viral damage and they should be anti infested right?  But thats not what I saw in codex...   

Instead of going for a second double element I just use BANE's and crit/status/other mod.

All your weapons have ABC loadouts so all my guns and melee are the same  radiation/magnet/corrosion...  Swap to whatever is needed for hard missions.  

I dont feel like you run into the alternative damage type enemies enough to warrant using those as your primary... like corrosive vs grineer... but maybe im wrong.  It definately sounds waaay smarter to be prepared for the tough enemies more than the weak ones lol  

Gonna put my 2p in on this, for what its worth. At low level grineer armour doesnt scale well enough that you might want to swap damages. It only really matters on the higher end. By that i mean when your going over lvl 70 i guess. At that point even the armour on butchers is noticable though nothing a few extra bullets cant solve. The higher tier ones are the danger. Myself i like to run a corrosive stat build on a fast firing secondary, the Azima is my current weapon of choice (dat turret tho). Primary would be somthing with high crit and damage to take out the horde of weaker mobs. The Lenz or cannon thing are fun choices. Unfortunately i found the tigris early and now nothing feels powerful.

Honestly I use a viral slash weapon against everything, slash procs ignore armor and shields,the viral procs reduce enemy's maximum life, so pure damage against half life enemies, works pretty well for engame and still work if your team doesn't have good aura.