Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Developer Workshop: Saryn Revisited 2.0

[DE]Danielle

12 hours ago, Nakrast said:

She works perfectly in onslaught, but only there.
If you play her in any other mission that is not onslaught or survival, you will notice that was overall nerfed.

I don't know, I took her to an extraction and did amazing there too. And on the moon. Guess either I was lucky or found just the right build

12 hours ago, NezuHimeSama said:

It builds up pretty quick. The issue is the consistency of the move. I think the buildup should be nerfed to have an increased initial buildup but decreased scalability, and return the spread range and reliability of the old Spore. As is, outside of single, open tiles like you get in Ons or some Defense nodes, Spore is pretty much worthless garbage outside of very late-game. As a first order ability on a warframe, that is the opposite of what it should be.

I don't know about that, we got pretty deep into high level end game enemies and it was still effective enough for us to finish them off with relative ease 

Hello ~~

Even if I'm considering myself as a newbi, maybe my point of view could have some value.

When I heard of the rework of Saryn, I rushed her construction, so I played with her for few days (enemy lvl 60~max - yeah.. I'm not feeling comfortable enough to try higher for now).

Before:

-I sticked with the "1" (spores) 99% of the time; spreading was something I seek to deal damages on many enemies; but there was some confusion to me: Where are the spores? Is there still spores in the area ? How many damages I'm dealing with them exactly ? ... I knew it worked, somehow, because I was dealing "good" damages according to the end-mission-screen.

-The "2" (mold) was only used (I don't have the healing-augment) to make the enemy focus elsewhere, to protect the excavators (when playing for the Fomorian event). Other than that, it was not interesting to me. The "turret" tactic: i tried it once or twice... and hated it - as the results of my "1" were already obscure, I found that technic annoying & sensed it was completly unefficient & obsolete if played in co-op; even in survival with infested it only seems odd...

-I used the "3" (toxic lash) only a few times, to try it. I didn't find it convincing.

-The "4" (miasma) was on the same level, the time to cast seemed too long & too few chances to used it appeared to me + the damages done on the stats card weren't convincing.

So in the end, I was doing all my missions with nearly "only" the Spores, with an obscure efficiency. The gameplay (run'gun or run'slash) felt okay, while the spores made me feel invested a bit. So it was fine to me.

After:

-1/Spore: The first thing that appeared to me was a buff in the casting-range - without any modification in the modding of Saryn, I was able to infect an enemy at a distance of 104m... I though it was stupidly OP (I think it's something like three times the previous distance). The second thing to show itself was... a major update in the clarity: the "power/infected meter" is giving a true answer of the questions I had; so to me, it appears as a great thing.

*Power/Strength: so... yeah, it requiers some times to adapt. Unlike previously, it's useless to spam: the strength of the Spores is growing by "4" units each seconds by infected enemy. If it works really, REALLY great when your spreading to 10+ enemies in few seconds, this skill becomes ... useless(?) when confronted to a single, or just a couple of enemies. In this rework, to me, the Spores are great for crowd-killing (really good at it) & enemy detection/killing slowly the units left-behind. The rework's malus is in the teamplay: I don't see how we're suppose to tell the allies to not reckt/nuke an area that Saryn is suppose to take controle with the Spores, because she now needs times (even few seconds) because every members of the team is rushing here & there.

*Spread: if the strength is "odd" and needs an adaptation; the spread is weird...

Well, the weirdest thing is the range of the spread. If I have 104m to be the Warframe variant of Ebola-chan / or / SCP-049 (Plague Doctor), an enemy dying by me with the Ignis (to explode the Spores) won't infect an enemy 10-15m away behind a corner (I do believe it's due to the melee-rework to avoid damages through obstacles) BUT sometimes I saw the infection not spreading to units in the same room. I don't ask for the same 104m (when casting), but as other said before me: the spreading-range seems a bit too short (add 10 solid meters and it should works great?)

A bit less strange is the enemy targeted by the spread: a clean-unit near an infected-unit will sometimes not be affected, but a third unit (2 to 5m further) will be infected... That's special. Maybe if the spread is tweaked to target the nearest unit, it will debugged it & even give more effectivness to the Spore's spread ?

-2/Molt: Overall it's a buff - the thing explodes in the end (I never waited to see that) & remains mostly the same. The big bad wolf here, to me, is the speed-bonus. I personnaly hate the Volt-boyz running around & smashing both doors & walls but also forcing all the Allies to do the same; and now, Saryn is a Poisonous variant of Volt... yup: I didn't used Molt much, i will used even less (maybe in the Plains?).

I believe the speed-bonus is linked to the Saryn's strength, so I wonder how to play with the mods.

-3/Toxic lash: an overall buff, but also a new way to spread the Spores... As I'm still with the playstyle of the Saryn-1.0, I have to force myself a bit to use this skill.

-4/Miasma: to me it's basically the same thing as before; so with the same issue (occasionnal / casting time that "break" the action). Then I won't use it...

In conclusion:

To me Saryn-2.0 needs a bit of tweak in the "1" (spread), but mostly the gameplay will have to adapt (new spread technics: infected dying + damage with firearms when using "3").

In the 1.0 I'm representing her as a close-range Poison Ivy & in this 2.0 She became something like a Long-range Mass-Killer Plague Doctor

Well... that was my grain of salt (french expression don't translate well :D) - Hope it could be useful somehow !

Edited by Umbriellan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yorgy said:

I don't know about that, we got pretty deep into high level end game enemies and it was still effective enough for us to finish them off with relative ease 

Sure, if you have the right environment for it to spread, it's fine for very late game and armor stripping. Like I said.

Heya.. 

Long time Saryn main here, 2 cents on new Saryn Rework, after doing some missions and simulacurum thingies.

The Good:

New SFX: Welcomed, Good job. Yeah!

Molt: Damage/HP Scaling long overdue, the movement speed increase rocks btw! yay!

Toxic Lash: A big yay! The energy gains from Toxic Lash VS Spores will be missed but Toxic Lash on all weapons now means I get more use out of it per cast. Also Contagion Cloud is really buff now as a result.

Miasma: I'm really kinda indifferent regarding the switch of damage type for Miasma and Spores as since the last rework I've mostly used these two skills either together or used Miasma as a "I need a CC asap!" panic button. New miasma still kinda suits both those functions for me + the buffs so yay from me.

Armor Increase: Yay.

The Awkward:

Lets talk about Spores.

The new spores is great in the Simulacurum vs a cluster of high level heavy gunners, bombards,  almost exclusively for that situation. Outside of that specific situation, it's kinda meh, even counter synergistic inside itself at times. On the star chart (lvl 30-60 under)  it's kinda just outright killing before really getting a chance to spread or even consider using its new detonate feature (which is another awkward thing I'll get to later). The Contagion Clouds do a better job in that function around that level. The Spores really only become "effective" when those perfect simulacurum conditions of spongy high densities of enemies start occurring and even then, since you can only have one seeding of spores now, spreading the spores now feels like more of a forced activity then the natural chain reaction it was before. I understand removing old Spores + Molt "cheese" and I can live with that fine, but removing the ability to multi-seed spores with say two or more instances of spores on the same or on multiple enemies, removing that is a bit much, especially now that the spore damage is stacking up and actively killing enemies. The spores saryn play style has shifted from a thing of setting up weakened enemies for everyone, to frantically and selfishly chasing spores before they kill on their own anyway. I just don't feel like I'm in control of the battle anymore when it comes to the use of spores.

The new spores detonate feature is also kinda in the way. Firstly the way its in the controls is a problem. Tap to cast spores once - "oh no I messed up and cast spores on that dude in the back of the group who's now running away to find cover or activate alarm, but its okay I'll just recast more on the center of the cluster for a better spread" - tap again to detonate active spores - "err, what the, where's my new spore" - begins to wonder what happened - "what the, did I really just instantly detonate spores on one dude for no damage :picardfacepalm:" - Ultimately gives up on the spores idea and just Contagion Cloud shotguns the enemy cluster anyway. Is there any way we can do a tap VS hold thing where its tap to cast spores, then hold to detonate active spores, similar to Khora's Venari, and Ivara's arrows, Gara's Spear/Sword #1, that'd be great.

In closing on spores, I'm indifferent on the damage type switch. Its the helpful status procs that were always most valuable for spores and the motivation for spreading them. For the sake of balance I would be okay with spores dealing half or even a third of its damage, if it was possible to multi-seed them again. The detonate feature is a bonus really, I can live (or rather kill) without it. If its insisted that it remain then it needs to be a lot less intrusive then it currently is. The main function of spores imo was its ability to spread status, not its damage. We have other tools for that.

TDLR: Three point plan for improving spores:

• Let us multi-seed it again.
  • Less intrusive detonate feature (it's cool in concept but damage isn't spores' main function)
  • Reduce base damage to accommodate for multi-seeding.

Small Note on Contagion Clouds Augment: 

Before, the clouds use to match the warframe energy color. I dunno if its a new bug, or if it was intended but they are now all green. Can we have them match the warframe energy again please? I want to know which clouds are mine and not get them confused with unsafe enemy clouds i.e infested mutalist ospreys or angry toxic ancient touch of death clouds. Also Fashionframe™.

Aside from those 2 points (awkward spores and contagion cloud color), everything else is awesome.

Keep up the good work DE.

Edited by -Trixxy
spelling and gramar pixies, additional clarity.
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, -Trixxy said:

Before, the clouds use to match the warframe energy color. I dunno if its a new bug, or if it was intended but they are now all green. Can we have them match the warframe energy again please. I want to know which clouds are mine and not get them confused with unsafe enemy clouds i.e infested mutalist ospreys or angry toxic ancient touch of death clouds. 

Agreed. For a while last night, I kept thinking I was infecting myself.

3 minutes ago, NullSaint said:

Agreed. For a while last night, I kept thinking I was infecting myself.

On a sanctuary run, we had a high level toxic ancient stand in Contagion Cloud and TOD the whole group. +3 to Cheater of Death achievement yay. If the cloud colors were different, that could all have been avoided with a simple dodge roll.

• Like 1

After testing saryn's rework I want to write my opinion and concept Idea for saryn's ult augment.

For someone who wasn't interested in saryn because she was just press to win with no real movement (like a passive stick of killing) the rework was the best thing for me and now I really enjoy playing saryn and I'm finding myself using all her abilities (even if my builds ain't optimal for all of them).

The only real bummer (and a bit of trouble) that I have with saryn is the fact that even if spores have the potential to be infinite and dill a lot of damage the running after spours to spread them (at start ok) is becoming really difficult until impossible to keep them going and not only that as a player is it frustrating it is also really taking from my freedom to move to whichever enemy I want to go and kill because I need to keep my 1000 damage spores (That actually hurt the enemys) from decaying to the 1 enemy in nowhere and to none.

My first Idea to fix it was maybe to change the spores augment but this is not a real option because there are semiliar first ability augments for damage buffing and it's ok to keep them. After thinking some more there are only two ways to solve this little issue:

1)Change saryn again and buff more spores which will change saryn's balance again (she will be way too powerful to have more easy spreading death spores) and it will require way too much work to achieve a cost for the "Mega spores" I want to achieve.

2)Add a new augment for saryn's ult  (cool name will be "Infected gas") that will act as a spore transfer (It can for example consume the spores from all the enemys at some cost that might be lowered efficiency for spore damage or additional energy cost that might be dependent on the spores damage and the enemys in the range of miasma can be infected with new spores that contain the damage absorbed or that the spore damage will just be sustained until the reactivation of spores (even though it is not so possible that all the augment will do is deactivate active spores and contain their damage without releasing it). The only other option that I fought about for this augment is that it will use the spores damage and/or number of infected enemys to buff its range to the extreme and put on all the enemys in that range new spores so that from one enemy with 3000 damage we can infect at once 30 enemys with new spores that will scale faster.

Overall the rework is really good and I only wish to make saryn a warframe I'll absolutely use for my usual mission and enjoy building up her spores in addition to surviving with her other abilities.

I didn't know where to write this but I want anyone who reads this and agree with one of the things I wrote to please forward this and send it to others because I really want those Ideas to reach DE. Thank you for reading up to here, dragozon69.

The spores are not as combat effective as they where before.

It takes forever to cast them. That was the thing with saryn. Stadning miles away from the enemy and spaming the spores on the molt. then destroy them, she has never been a frontline frame. Because the dps bulid makes her in to a glass cannon. The only skill that is ok are toxic lash but i never used that ever because I never got in melee combat with her. Then we have the miasma I get the feeling that it does not leave spores anymore on the enemys what I can see.

I have rhino for melee combat. Guess what rhino becomes hard to play in the long run, He is so slow, the rest of the squad normaly just runs alot more and rhino cannot keep up. Deals alot of melee damige but the aoe is not that effective if you have the buff build or the ironskin build, normaly you run with buff build, that makes the ironskin not that good.

The thing with saryn is that you cannot be a good dps anymore because you cannot do the spore spam. It has a conter that sometime is even there after all of the enemys are dead. It is like this is a massive cap on how combat effective saryn spores is. Molt has become like lokis decoy, that is bad.

I don't even.

First the de make ember from a god like dps to mediocer one. Now saryn gets a nerf in her most usefull spell. A massive one.

Why nerf all the good dps at their most important spells?

Like there are many other frames that needs to be done better but insted make the good onces mediocer.

Just why?

Do the de what to remove all good spells on the good dps? 

because the frames that have them are being used more then the single enemy damige dealing frames?

Saryn did have a good run but now. She is borderline useless in dps sense, I have played her as a dps sense she came. I even got the prime just to make a god like dps. I did that and had no problem with her untill now. Well I feel like there is a tons of things that can be done for the better but insted the most odd things are being made. I do not like this development to this frame.

First it was megs greedy pul that got on the choping block, then we got ember nerfed. Now it is saryn. I think rhino has have the most tinkering with. In the end he became ok to play, not the best one not the worst one, that was an acceptable outcome.

3 hours ago, dragozon69 said:

It was a long time ago she was press to win. You had to spam alot. Like molt, spore, spore, spore. smash with your melee or do the miasma to get them all out, there was even a way to do alot of damige with her and all you needed to do was spore an enemy and kill that one and all the spores lashed on to the closest onces.

I have played saryn for a long time and I feel this was like a big nerf in the most important part of her dpsing. You cannot use molt anymore for a spore horder. The molt is useless now, it is like ember nerf but for saryn players and much more worse than that.

Remove or fix buggy LoS for Spores. It's really a limiter here. Sometimes popped spores get spreaded over whole rooms, then next it wont infect a dude standing behind a knee tall crate.

Recasting to detonate all spores is very awkward. I feel that it should be changed to tap to cast, hold to detonate. Sometimes, especially with broken LoS, you would want spores on enemies that suddenly appeared next to you. Naturally you try to cast them again, but you loose all accumulated damage this way instead...

Apart from that, her powers are good only when there are a lot of enemies around (like endless or onslaught) otherwise she struggles. And you cant rely on very first ability on lower levels, because enemies will just die too quick to spread spores on enemies that are on the way. Molt has now proper aggro pulling, good for distracting while you smacking things with CO melee. Miasma feels weak, but still does that sweet hp reduction and fuels CO further. Toxic lash working on every weapon is a welcome change as well.

7 hours ago, -Trixxy said:

Heya.. 

Long time Saryn main here, 2 cents on new Saryn Rework, after doing some missions and simulacurum thingies.

The Good:

New SFX: Welcomed, Good job. Yeah!

Molt: Damage/HP Scaling long overdue, the movement speed increase rocks btw! yay!

Toxic Lash: A big yay! The energy gains from Toxic Lash VS Spores will be missed but Toxic Lash on all weapons now means I get more use out of it per cast. Also Contagion Cloud is really buff now as a result.

Miasma: I'm really kinda indifferent regarding the switch of damage type for Miasma and Spores as since the last rework I've mostly used these two skills either together or used Miasma as a "I need a CC asap!" panic button. New miasma still kinda suits both those functions for me + the buffs so yay from me.

Armor Increase: Yay.

The Awkward:

Lets talk about Spores.

The new spores is great in the Simulacurum vs a cluster of high level heavy gunners, bombards,  almost exclusively for that situation. Outside of that specific situation, it's kinda meh, even counter synergistic inside itself at times. On the star chart (lvl 30-60 under)  it's kinda just outright killing before really getting a chance to spread or even consider using its new detonate feature (which is another awkward thing I'll get to later). The Contagion Clouds do a better job in that function around that level. The Spores really only become "effective" when those perfect simulacurum conditions of spongy high densities of enemies start occurring and even then, since you can only have one seeding of spores now, spreading the spores now feels like more of a forced activity then the natural chain reaction it was before. I understand removing old Spores + Molt "cheese" and I can live with that fine, but removing the ability to multi-seed spores with say two or more instances of spores on the same or on multiple enemies, removing that is a bit much, especially now that the spore damage is stacking up and actively killing enemies. The spores saryn play style has shifted from a thing of setting up weakened enemies for everyone, to frantically and selfishly chasing spores before they kill on their own anyway. I just don't feel like I'm in control of the happening in battle anymore when it comes to the use of spores.

The new spores detonate feature is also kinda in the way. Firstly the way its in the controls is a problem. Tap to cast spores once - "oh no I messed up and cast spores on that dude in the back of the group who's now running away to find cover or activate alarm, but its okay I'll just recast more on the center of the cluster for a better spread" - tap again to detonate active spores - "err, what the, where's my new spore" - begins to wonder what happened - "what the, did I really just instantly detonate spores on one dude for no damage :picardfacepalm:" - Ultimately gives up on the spores idea and just Contagion Cloud shotguns the enemy cluster anyway. Is there any way we can do a tap VS hold thing where its tap to cast spores, then hold to detonate active spores, similar to Khora's Venari, and Ivara's arrows, Gara's Spear/Sword #1, that'd be great.

In closing on spores, I'm indifferent on the damage type switch, its the helpful status procs that were always most valuable for spores and the motivation for spreading them. For the sake of balance I would be okay with spores dealing half or even a third of its damage, if it was possible to multi-seed them again. The detonate feature is a bonus really, I can live (or rather kill) without it. If its insisted that it remain then it needs to be a lot less intrusive then it currently is. The main function of spores imo was its ability to spread status, not its damage. We have other tools for that.

TDLR: Three point plan for improving spores:

• Let us multi-seed it again.
  • Less intrusive detonate feature (it's cool in concept but damage isn't spores' main function)
  • Reduce base damage to accommodate for multi-seeding.

Small Note on Contagion Clouds Augment: 

Before, the clouds use to match the warframe energy color. I dunno if its a new bug, or if it was intended but they are now all green. Can we have them match the warframe energy again please? I want to know which clouds are mine and not get them confused with unsafe enemy clouds i.e infested mutalist ospreys or angry toxic ancient touch of death clouds. Also Fashionframe™.

Aside from those 2 points (awkward spores and contagion cloud color), everything else is awesome.

Keep up the good work DE.

I see we think alike about this! Well-said friend 🖤

Edited by Fyrscha
  • Like 2

On 2018-05-10 at 2:00 PM, [DE]Danielle said:

Tackling Perplexing Synergies - Perplexing indeed. We feel Saryn's synergy as it stands follows a more forced than natural flow. We often found players confused as to why some things worked as they did, which lead to a guessing game of “bug or feature”. 

Gonna just quote this again since it was removed last time. Nice job mods. Just hid negative feedback.

Put the information in game. This isn't a crutch for piss poor reworks.

Edited by EnjaN

I have issues with her spores but others have outlined them better, what i really have problems with though is molt. 

For an ability that's supposed to take fire off of her it does about a good a job as a roller spectre. When enemies are shooting at you from range, very rarely do they turn and shoot the molt instead because they can see you already since they're shooting at you. Shes not like other frames, loki and octavia, even titania, who have ranged decoys and for two of them at, least invisibility to drop enemy agro. 

I've cast this ability a whole lot to try and save my butt and its always failing to do its job. I still get shot at molt or no molt until i make it to cover, and by that time the molt loses its chance to gain more hp so its still just as weak as ever. I have no idea why others are praising it because all its giving them essentially is a speed boost. 

How to fix it? Make its agro override enemy targetting on cast for enemies in its line of sight and maybe make it gain twice the hp from the initial shots so as soon as its ramp up finishes the next volley of shots wont just immediately kill it anyway. If it was me id also remove its duration timer, it has hp like snowglobe, it doesnt need duration too

Spores is a little tedious for me now. I can't keep the damage stack up for any significant amount of time without having to wait around for more groups of enemies to spawn when there's only one infected enemy left.

And I feel like there's way less range to the spore spread. I'm always ending up with 1 last infected enemy who dies without infecting anybody else. Then, 1 second later, there's a whole group of enemies around the corner, untouched by spores.

Its the same old tactic(cast spore and toxic lash melee around killing n spreading it) except this time you are tank-ier, spores deal crazy high damage and our panic button4 got its high range back. All in all good rework xD

5 hours ago, Squalobo said:

Spores is a little tedious for me now. I can't keep the damage stack up for any significant amount of time without having to wait around for more groups of enemies to spawn when there's only one infected enemy left.

And I feel like there's way less range to the spore spread. I'm always ending up with 1 last infected enemy who dies without infecting anybody else. Then, 1 second later, there's a whole group of enemies around the corner, untouched by spores.

as i posted and complained about spores, broken, freezed, bugged and nerfed in term lf range and thus nerfed as whole al least for me. spores need fix old spread of spores was loot batter and that is what player need. some donkeys keep say this is good change while it is not. if spores spread are fixed is they should be than rewok would be lot batter.

2 hours ago, Eutuxia said:

Its the same old tactic(cast spore and toxic lash melee around killing n spreading it) except this time you are tank-ier, spores deal crazy high damage and our panic button4 got its high range back. All in all good rework xD

spores are spread on kill and range between of spore and enemy is low. with old saryn you could spread more of them with toxic lash and 145% rng in comparison to 250% now. and ppl are like "this is as it should be", while most of player keep complain about it. and guess what no change or fix after 3 hot fixes, mean DE does not listen to us 1%.

10 hours ago, RobWasHere said:

Remove or fix buggy LoS for Spores. It's really a limiter here. Sometimes popped spores get spreaded over whole rooms, then next it wont infect a dude standing behind a knee tall crate.

Recasting to detonate all spores is very awkward. I feel that it should be changed to tap to cast, hold to detonate. Sometimes, especially with broken LoS, you would want spores on enemies that suddenly appeared next to you. Naturally you try to cast them again, but you loose all accumulated damage this way instead...

Apart from that, her powers are good only when there are a lot of enemies around (like endless or onslaught) otherwise she struggles. And you cant rely on very first ability on lower levels, because enemies will just die too quick to spread spores on enemies that are on the way. Molt has now proper aggro pulling, good for distracting while you smacking things with CO melee. Miasma feels weak, but still does that sweet hp reduction and fuels CO further. Toxic lash working on every weapon is a welcome change as well.

you have a point, and i do agree what you say. spores are her thing so if we get just that fixed so it can spread as they should this rework would be very good. after much invest and grind to meke her very good , now all i get nerf of spores. eaven b4 with simple mods like streach, continuity, intensify was batter spred of spores to more enemy than i can get now. so earlier  reactor, 1 forma vs reactor, 4 formas, primed and valuted mods (grind for and max them, spended time to tune her for unisex play) and cheaper build was batter, than more expencive build now after rewok. we end up with bugged, nerfed and broken ability which ruin our new and intended game play. Intercept, def, md, surv and ext mission was her thing. now just eos and long run surv. so there are players who keep saying this is good thing and  is batter now(bugged, nefrd and broken) i wonder are they DE bots, half barain lobotomised bots or noob bots. saryn is now less effective and have limited usage than b4. and players keep using mechanich game are providing us, and we get nerf in return. nerf of frame (we gonna fck it up than they will like it). spores need tune, sprad it self is bad. guve it few runes trough star achart and you will see.

Edited by -HoB-AngelofRevenge

12 hours ago, RobWasHere said:

Spores are not affected by LoS

ZjR4d.jpg

Saryn_Spore_LoS_Test_Solo_Hydron_Sedna_Wave_2

Full Spread Test Topic

Edited by Cibyllae