Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Developer Workshop: Saryn Revisited 2.0

[DE]Danielle

15 minutes ago, Couwcouw said:

It's fun to see people saying she's fine. LMAO Ppl use 2 abilities and thats it. Stop watching your nose and open your eyes. She isnt played at all, people only play her to stand at the same spot pressing 1 key. She NEEDED a rework or a change in her kit. DE never like big AoE frame it's not new. It's not a rework about *nobody plays her* it's a rework because *Pressing 1 button and ignoring 2 abilities on your kit shouldnt*

I still think Saryn is fine. She has good synergy using status mechanics and Viral damage. Likewise, "she isn't played at all" is a complete lie. She is very popular for XP farming, Defense missions, Elite Onslaught, and more. I would argue she is one of the more popular Warframes this game has.

I agree that some of these changes, but the change from Viral to Corrosive on Spores is a poor move in my opinion. Saryn should be Viral based with interesting synergies to promote people to try new Aura mods and such (maybe Growing Power?). All these current changes do is punish CP users when they use Spores. Energy is also going to be a problem for those who do not own Arcane Energize or Zenurik (not me, but a large chunk of the player-base).

Likewise, detonating spores on recast seems unnecessary.

Saryn doesn't NEED a rework, she already got one. The people that only pressed one button will just not play Saryn and move their play-style to another Warframe build. If the mindset of this rework is to stop players from spamming 1 combo for killing with a caster, then they will end up hurting Saryn and players will migrate to something else. It happened to Mag, it happened to Mesa, and it will happen to Saryn. Precedence shows this.

Edited by --Q--Voltage

I have a few thoughts about this

• I love the Miasma / Spores proc switch. In a high spore count build I often burst dozens of spores in a single swing, but the viral proc only comes into play once. This switch to corrosive, letting Miasma have the Viral makes it more singular and have huge damage potential, I like this.
  • I'm not fond of the Spores Turret, but I do like the premise of turning the molt into a trap for enemies. Could we keep the spores-on-molt but with the caveat that the player can't burst Spores that are on the Molt?
  • The changes to Toxic Lash sound very nice, essentially giving every weapon the damage methods found on the Acrid and Hystrix (poison needle), which leaves me wondering how these two weapons interact with Toxic Lash? Double the toxin procs?

Overall it sounds like Saryn's going to shoot up to becoming one of our singular most damaging warframes, with amazing scalability via armour stripping. I am excited for this.

I also really look forward to hearing this "voice", I'm hoping it comes in the form of sounds rather than words, similar to Valkyr's screams. I feel like speech would spoil some mystique that the warframes have.

4 hours ago, [DE]Danielle said:
  • Molt will now scale similar to Rhino’s Iron Skin - All the initial damage it takes in the first few seconds will make it stronger. Any damage it receives after that point will target the absorbed health (Damage absorbed will show in a buff indicator in the UI). Once it reaches 0, Molt explodes dealing Toxin damage to nearby enemies. 

Can we have that for Loki's Decoy too? Thank you.

8 minutes ago, Giantconch said:

For the most part the changes look good, probably too good in fact.

Problem I have is with spores. Why change the damage type? Squads already roll in with corrosive projections x4 so spores now doing corrosive instead of viral makes it less effective later on when you actually want enemies to have half health.

Simple. With this that means you don't need as much corrosive projection and can grab something else. That's what this is kinda about, making a frame pick up the slack somewhere and allow for more flexability in squad builds besides "Everyone bring CP". 

I was crapping my pants when I saw this... I was like omg... onslaught revealed her nova ult but more efficient spores and then the stunzone miasma and so on... but after reading this... Wow... as an onslaught spammer.. I really really reallyyyyyy am going to love those spore changes... even moreso the miasma. (I always prefered the miasma gameplay instead of the spore gameplay despite latter being the stronger one).

C A N 'T        W A I T !

4 hours ago, [DE]Danielle said:

Spores

• Increased Status Chance from 10% to 50%, also scaling with Power Strength

Molt

• After casting, Saryn receives a movementary speed boost for a short duration.     
  • Molt will now scale similar to Rhino’s Iron Skin - All the initial damage it takes in the first few seconds will make it stronger. Any damage it receives after that point will target the absorbed health (Damage absorbed will show in a buff indicator in the UI). Once it reaches 0, Molt explodes dealing Toxin damage to nearby enemies. 

Toxic Lash

• With Toxic Lash active, your weapons will trigger Toxin Status Effect on any damage instance. 
  • Contagion Cloud Augment change: Kills with Toxic Lash will leave behind a Toxin cloud. As an added bonus, Melee kills double the damage dealt by the cloud. 

Miasma

We’ve taken what’s great about Miasma, and made it even better in the scope of Saryn’s 2.0 changes! 

• Changed Miasma’s damage type from Corrosive to Viral. 
  • Miasma has a 100% guaranteed Viral Status Effect on damage tick. 

Niiiiiiiiiceeeeeee!  Corrosive make sense in saryn, we use the first abillity on another frames  more like support/damage abilitys, lets the 4 shiny a bit.

Toxic lash will be amazing in some weapons.

I dont know what to say about molt...the ideia seens ok, but in very high endurance runs idk if that will work, maybe add some damage debuff on mobs who attack instead of more hp and resistance, idk.

Edited by Khaeji

A Saryn rework that actually seems pretty good, only a couple nights after I built Saryn Prime?

Is it my birthday?

Anyways, I haven't played Saryn yet so I can't really say if this is actually good or not but it looks pretty dope to me, especially in making Saryn less energy hungry

Re-work sounds good but we will have to see how it plays before we can pass judgement.

But just as a rule of thumb you should not take away a method of regenerating energy without replacing it with something else. Perhaps health regen per hit or just leave it in.

Lookin' pretty nice, all told!

I am somewhat conflicted, however. I'm not directly opposed to more frames having voices, but that WAS meant to be something special about Valkyr. That and the whole tenno reveal making her backstory zero-impact and nonsensical, I feel kinda bad for Valk losing another facet of what made her special flavorwise.

:nerd:

Instresting all the new reworks .. but still some arn't new

Spore and Molt can be used correctly when you make the combo 

Cast 2 

Cast 1 on molt cast 1 on enemys .. shoot at there toxic globes and it will spread like crazy

damage output is so far good with it

for more damage from the spread .. just recast 2

and as tip on the iceberg cast 4 to total wipe the floor

This are build on Duration and Range 

Spreading occurs already when they die with the toxic infection and keep on spreading 

During the time of duration itself

--- but this are small things that are already doeing an great job so far

so yeah iam currious after the rework how this will turn out

80% players are gonna be salty about saryn .. but thats ok 

we all have faced the the nerfs and buff in oure favorite stuff

and in te end we all accept it :blush: 

Edited by -_Highlander_-
forgot an S

Saryn should stay as is, I really have no faith in them touching any abilities that don't need to be touched. The lash however and molt? Sure. Leave everything else alone. I wouldn't be surprised if this change is being done because of onslaught or something you have planned in the future to nip it in the bud so to speak. All because it allowed for easy farming or something of that nature when your time revisiting a rework should be spent on either limbo or ember x.x 

• Like 1

Looking nice so far. As someone who thoroughly enjoys saryn (4 forma between her regular and prime), and plays her quite a bit, this has me excited. I've never been much for the Molt-Spore saryn combo, and it'll be awesome to finally see that playstyle gone. Much like sit and forget old Banshee Resonate. Saryn is so powerful, and it was sad to see most players funneling that power into a Molt-Spores build. 

Also im pretty sure that energy restore when spores were popped using her 3 never actually worked for me. I used that ability a lot, and never noticed myself getting a small energy return from it.

What has me truly excited though is you guys fixing that FPS tank she would cause. My computer is no slouch when it comes to gaming, and even my computer would suffer horrendous frame drops at times. *looks back at Plague Star when I made the gigantic mistake of using her there* whoo boi, was that a mistake and a half.

As much as I love the idea of a poison-oriented playstyle, and as much as I love how Saryn visually looks, based on this information, what's gonna keep her collecting dust for me is what's been responsible for her Swiffer status all this time: the lack of any mode of defense, be it a tank ability or some capacity of CC. The armor boost is nice to look at, but is certainly not enough to make up for her glaring vulnerability (only a 6 and 7% increase in damage reduction). 

Molt will need a lot of range to keep her from being forced to perma-hug cover (unless you want to give her a new Passive that literally lets her cover-fire!), if it's still going to be the only asset she has to take the pressure off. Or you could let up on the 4 witch hunt and let Miasma be of value, by giving it like a knockdown followed by a decent slow for the survivors, or have it jam weapons. 

What she's missing, what she still needs, by the looks of it, is CC of some sort. Something to stop her from getting shredded. 

I'm a Saryn main and I am 100% on board with the Molt and Toxic Lash changes. I do not like the spores/Miasama element swap, please do not do it. A 100% status Mutalist Cernos modded for Corrosive can strip armor faster than the proposed spore changes. However I do like the simplification of increasing Miasma's damage and scaling mechanic on spore damage. As a previous poster mentioned spores would be less useful against Corpus, specifically Corpus Tech's, furthermore spore would be even less effective against most infested units.

Edited by blacksage81
word choice

Wow, I thought Onslaught would take a little longer for DE to 'fix' certain frames.  If everyone switched over to playing Onslaught with Wukong or Vauban do think DE would finally get around to reworking them too?

Seriously, a good portion of me thinks they want to get rid of the Molt/Spore combo since it bypasses the using 4 power too much with Elite loves to ding tenno for.  I really don't trust DE to strengthen the other powers nearly enough to make up for this.

Miasma already does corrsive damage but dosen't proc it why didn't they just make it like frosts 4 where it strips a certain amount of armor based on power strength and keep her spores the way they were. I'll just have to wait for the pc guys to her and see how it is

Edited by (XB1)ReadingFire229
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, blacksage81 said:

I'm a Saryn main and I am 100% on board with the Molt and Toxic Lash changes. I do not like the spores/Miasama element swap, please do not do it. A 100% status Mutalist Cernos modded for Corrosive can strip armor faster than the proposed spore changes. However I do like the simplification of increasing Miasma's damage and scaling mechanic on spore damage. As a previous poster mentioned spores is now less useful against Corpus, specifically Corpus Tech's, furthermore spore is even less effective against most infested units.

You can't assume that people will just use this one weapon modded in this one way whenever they want to strip armor.

1 minute ago, Saturmorn_Carvilli said:

Wow, I thought Onslaught would take a little longer for DE to 'fix' certain frames.  If everyone switched over to playing Onslaught with Wukong or Vauban do think DE would finally get around to reworking them too?

Seriously, a good portion of me thinks they want to get rid of the Molt/Spore combo since it bypasses the using 4 power too much with Elite loves to ding tenno for.  I really don't trust DE to strengthen the other powers nearly enough to make up for this.

nope, according the the special pre-prime time show, which just started, shes been under work since mid-February, im actually inclined to believe them on this

• Like 2

Seriously though. 

Corrosive 50% status spores with infinite duration?

Firstly, this makes God Hand banshee and shuriken ash completely obsolete. 

Secondly, you think Spores Spam is annoying now? Some people drop out of missions already because there's Saryn or Banshee in the squad. With this, Saryns are going to be freaking everywhere. This is the most insanely overpowered first ability in the entire game.

Viral Spores were good because they softened up all factions regardless of whether they had armour or not. Saryn in the squad was essentially a enemy health -50% mission modifier. 

Keep infinite damage and duration, but get rid of Corrosive.