Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Developer Workshop: Saryn Revisited 2.0

[DE]Danielle

8 hours ago, (PS4)xSweep66 said:

As a dedicated Saryn main, some these changes are good, but come with a concealed nerf.

I see some other Saryn mains thinking these changes will be universally good. They won't be.

As it stands Saryn is a frame who already can scale infinitely. To do so requires an interactive play style and a bit of knowledge. Simply using Toxic Lash or a properly built spore popping weapon can achieve far more power than her new Spores will be capable of. I'm sorry, but waiting for a timer to tick up your damage will not give you stronger spores than the current method of interacting with them does. 

I love DE but this they are employing some cheap tricks here. Touting 100k ticks that are endless is hype without merit. Maybe in a test tube it'd be better, but in actual game play you will be constantly left behind trying to build a weak little culture that will fizzle out when it can finally develop enough power to kill trash mobs at higher levels. Then you'll need to start over. EDIT: Kuva Survival comes to mind, even if you can manage to get a great culture going, by design you will need to leave it behind and start a fresh one at the new life support station. At some point in the mission the spores will become a non factor. How well these new spores scale in these situations remains to be seen.

Our frame is going to become an armor stripping machine, sure, and press 4 to win. In other words, boring and not nearly as interactive as she currently is. 

Also, enemy spawn rates will prove to be the deciding factor for her new spore kit, especially in a team. I am extremely suspicious that the spores will function as little more than an armor stripping gimmick since they'll almost certainly not be maintainable.

She's not even going to support her team in any meaningful way outside of armor stripping (which is covered by other frames as well as CP). At least old Saryn has access to Viral, which is helpful for the entire team against any faction and doesn't overlap with other frames or team compositions.

I'm not so sure, at low levels they will kill enemies quickly.  At higher levels they will tick away until they die and shred armor like crazy, making them easier to kill.  If at the end of the day its to kill enemies, then she will do fine.  The biggest issue, is trying to keep your spores relevant while you move large distances.  I would really like to see the range increase dramatically to compensate.

8 minutes ago, (PS4)Crixus044 said:

I have no gripe about corrosive damage from viral, but removing the toxin proc carry is the only really bad decision. Look at my earlier post for an explanation.

I suggest many people to check this out.

Good read, you are probably right about the toxin damage, but I really do not think you will notice.  If an enemy doesn't die in a few ticks, their armor falls off, and make them easier to kill anyway.  At some point the enemies may become tough, you drop miasma and you cut their life in half while stripping their armor and continuously doing damage from the spore.  As you wail on this enemy, you are priming your next targets in the process.  With toxic lash you are literally doing toxin damage with every attack.  I feel this is still very adequate, it is different, but adequate.  Best of all the exploiters will move back to Equinox and Volt builds.

I could very well be wrong, but I don't think it will work as well I'm practice as it sounds. Sure, they'll annihilate everything at low level, they already do. But every useless weapon and ability can already delete everything just by looking at it.

Consider cheese Equinox on Io. She wipes out low level Corpus at hilariously long ranges. The style of just simply turning Maim on and forgetting about it falls off pretty quickly. Only does Maim become relevant again when you start detonating the stored damage.

Saryn will also store damage. But unlike Equinox who scales based off of enemy health (so higher health/shields means scaling appropriate to the level), Saryn will be at the mercy of time and enemy density. She will scale the same whether it's low middle or high level. Her starting spore damage and the life expectancy of the average enemy in Warframe gives me doubts about the consistency and efficacy of the new Spores. At least before the rework we have some control over scaling which comes from actually interacting with them rather than just waiting for them to work on their own.

Interesting to think about: Equinox scales faster and more powerfully of your team is skilled and powerful. Saryn will scale slower if your team is skilled and powerful. That sounds frustrating.

Edited by (PS4)xSweep66

4 minutes ago, Danjal777 said:

Good read, you are probably right about the toxin damage, but I really do not think you will notice.  If an enemy doesn't die in a few ticks, their armor falls off, and make them easier to kill anyway.  At some point the enemies may become tough, you drop miasma and you cut their life in half while stripping their armor and continuously doing damage from the spore.  As you wail on this enemy, you are priming your next targets in the process.  With toxic lash you are literally doing toxin damage with every attack.  I feel this is still very adequate, it is different, but adequate.  Best of all the exploiters will move back to Equinox and Volt builds.

The problem here is that if an enemy dies in a few ticks, how will it spread? If it spreads on death, you're gonna get the cascading effect I mention, if you must hit the spore to get the kill while they die within a few ticks, it'll kill itself off like I mentioned.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, (PS4)xSweep66 said:

I could very well be wrong, but I don't think it will work as well I'm practice as it sounds. Sure, they'll annihilate everything at low level, they already do. But every useless weapon and ability can already delete everything just by looking at it.

Consider cheese Equinox on Io. She wipes out low level Corpus at hilariously long ranges. The style of just simply turning Maim on and forgetting about it falls off pretty quickly. Only does Maim become relevant again when you start detonating the stored damage.

Saryn will also store damage. But unlike Equinox who scales based off of enemy health (so higher health/shields means scaling appropriate to the level), Saryn will be at the mercy of time and enemy density. She will scale the same whether it's low middle or high level. Her starting spore damage and the life expectancy of the average enemy in Warframe gives me doubts about the consistency and efficacy of the new Spores. At least before the rework we have some control over scaling which comes from actually interacting with them rather than just waiting for them to work on their own.

Interesting to think about: Equinox scales faster and more powerfully of your team is skilled and powerful. Saryn will scale slower if your team is skilled and powerful. That sounds frustrating.

Facts. This is the whole thing. This rework feels like they turn saryn into a weaker, less team compatible version of its former self. Spores is gonna be relatively useless for duration lower level, and in a team, scaling is pretty much useless in a team setting. Limiting her to be mainly used for mot. If they keep this idea of corrosive and dont actually review logically the issues of infinite duration and scaling, shes gonna go down in history as one of the most dropped characters in game. 

9 minutes ago, (PS4)Crixus044 said:

The problem here is that if an enemy dies in a few ticks, how will it spread? If it spreads on death, you're gonna get the cascading effect I mention, if you must hit the spore to get the kill while they die within a few ticks, it'll kill itself off like I mentioned.

I'm not 100% certain, but I thought Pablo said that it does spread on death.  I could have misheard that though.  My biggest concern is jumping from room to room, you will only have short bursts of relevant spores.  Defense and interception will limited to the damage that can be dealt in one a wave.  Capture, rescue, mobile defense, you will get limited use out of it.  Survival though, you will have the potential to really get some great use out of this power.

1 minute ago, Danjal777 said:

I'm not 100% certain, but I thought Pablo said that it does spread on death.  I could have misheard that though.  My biggest concern is jumping from room to room, you will only have short bursts of relevant spores.  Defense and interception will limited to the damage that can be dealt in one a wave.  Capture, rescue, mobile defense, you will get limited use out of it.  Survival though, you will have the potential to really get some great use out of this power.

You're correct. He said that it will spread on death, but he said he's iffy on this mechanic. You're right about the number of relevant spores being too low room to room, wave to wave, since it seems he's adding LoS as well without it being mentioned in the patch notes. My point is either way, spores will kill itself off. Even in survival too. Because once the spores spread to an enemy out of reach for you to spread yourself or it to spread itself, it'll kill that enemy and then die off. The way the escalating damage goes is that it will eventually scale to when it will overpower the enemies on the field, if it ever reaches that point and doesn't just die off too early.

About the LoS, the most amount of enemies in the LoS of each other is roughly 6-7, so what you saw in the prime time is probably gonna be around the limit of the saryn scaling rate. Defense may be an exception to this, but because of the Wave function of defense, this doesn't really help that much. This scaling is really slow, so what you basically get is a waiting period between waiting for the spores to scale up to where they can kill the enmy, then cascade t kill everyone else in it's vicinity, until it kills itself off, and you have to wait and do it all over again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, (PS4)Crixus044 said:

You're correct. He said that it will spread on death, but he said he's iffy on this mechanic. You're right about the number of relevant spores being too low room to room, wave to wave, since it seems he's adding LoS as well without it being mentioned in the patch notes. My point is either way, spores will kill itself off. Even in survival too. Because once the spores spread to an enemy out of reach for you to spread yourself or it to spread itself, it'll kill that enemy and then die off. The way the escalating damage goes is that it will eventually scale to when it will overpower the enemies on the field, if it ever reaches that point and doesn't just die off too early.

About the LoS, the most amount of enemies in the LoS of each other is roughly 6-7, so what you saw in the prime time is probably gonna be around the limit of the saryn scaling rate. Defense may be an exception to this, but because of the Wave function of defense, this doesn't really help that much. This scaling is really slow, so what you basically get is a waiting period between waiting for the spores to scale up to where they can kill the enmy, then cascade t kill everyone else in it's vicinity, until it kills itself off, and you have to wait and do it all over again.

All of this aside, I am really excited.  I don't typically play her as a DoT caster, but more of a hit and run shock trooper.  The powers that I rely and her increased armor will help me specifically a great deal.  What I really hate is when people see you using a Saryn and assume you will spore turret the room to death and start mouthing off in chat about how you don't know how to play.  I firmly believe that in a pug match you just gotta accept that people play Warframe the way they want, don't like it?  Make your own team.  Once a while back I was obsessed with making a viable melee Ember.  I had so much fun trying, it wasn't that effective, but my effort during a match was top notch and frequently surprised me.

6 minutes ago, Danjal777 said:

All of this aside, I am really excited.  I don't typically play her as a DoT caster, but more of a hit and run shock trooper.  The powers that I rely and her increased armor will help me specifically a great deal.  What I really hate is when people see you using a Saryn and assume you will spore turret the room to death and start mouthing off in chat about how you don't know how to play.  I firmly believe that in a pug match you just gotta accept that people play Warframe the way they want, don't like it?  Make your own team.  Once a while back I was obsessed with making a viable melee Ember.  I had so much fun trying, it wasn't that effective, but my effort during a match was top notch and frequently surprised me.

every player have their own gameplay with frame of choice. exception would be new player that copy paste yt builds. saryn is dps frame, so wait for stuck up spores for dmg nah, have other things to do instead of wait so it can actually kill something. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)Crixus044 said:

imo there are 2 ways to solve this problem : either make it a sprint, or a marathon.

sprint : give us the possibility to manually ramps up the damage, with a simple, easy to understand way. for instance "damage dealt with toxic lash is added to spores damage". that way, we can quickly get it to relevant damage no matter the enemy level, but it falls off immediately if there is no enemy left. that make spores a short burst very interactive ability.

marathon : just let it ramp as currently planned, with each tick and enemy, but when the last enemy affected dies, make it slowly decrease over time (a certain number of base tick lost every second). that way, if you're a bit careful, the damage meter never completely drops off, instead it will slowly decrease when there's some slack before ramping up again when action is back.

in any case, the "recast spore to burst them all" is a bad idea imo, since it's pretty easy to pop them with weapons (especially AoE weapons), and unless it deals the equivalent of a huuuge number of ticks at once, it'll be better to just wait a few seconds for the enemies to die to the DoT and not decrease your damage meter.

49 minutes ago, blaes said:

imo there are 2 ways to solve this problem : either make it a sprint, or a marathon.

sprint : give us the possibility to manually ramps up the damage, with a simple, easy to understand way. for instance "damage dealt with toxic lash is added to spores damage". that way, we can quickly get it to relevant damage no matter the enemy level, but it falls off immediately if there is no enemy left. that make spores a short burst very interactive ability.

marathon : just let it ramp as currently planned, with each tick and enemy, but when the last enemy affected dies, make it slowly decrease over time (a certain number of base tick lost every second). that way, if you're a bit careful, the damage meter never completely drops off, instead it will slowly decrease when there's some slack before ramping up again when action is back.

in any case, the "recast spore to burst them all" is a bad idea imo, since it's pretty easy to pop them with weapons (especially AoE weapons), and unless it deals the equivalent of a huuuge number of ticks at once, it'll be better to just wait a few seconds for the enemies to die to the DoT and not decrease your damage meter.

I think either solution here is absolutely better than the current proposal. 

For the second iteration to work out they would have to remove or rethink the detonate on command mechanic. I'd propose to keep the detonate mechanic in place so Saryn can't simply run wild with mega spores everywhere because this limits her recasting potential, but rework it to cause the detonation to lose (ph)half of their current stacks. This would give it a different way to interact with her Spores in a satisfying way without the frustration of rebuilding stacks from scratch.

This might be to much, but it would be super amazing if tuned properly: maybe even have the detonation cause a Viral status effect. This leaves Saryn with armor stripping spores, while keeping her team Synergy in place with viral. Sure, they'd need to reexamine Miasma, but I think that's already the case.

Another option: recasting spores no longer detonates them, instead consuming half of the available damage to form a new culture. Regarding the above suggestion for a viral proc, instead work have Miasma apply a Viral proc only to enemies effected by Spores (however have this effect take place regardless of range). This keeps the interaction and synergy while also prompting a reason to deplete stack power as a tradeoff for more Viral effects. Miasma keeps its range and mechanic for handling damage and stunning enemies. Throw in the stack decaying while not active and always have a recasting consume half of her damage stacks and we have a powerful ability that can't just simply run out of control.

Edited by (PS4)xSweep66

Saryn is my second most played frame and I must say the utility of spores is going to be severely dropped by this. yes the damage is nice but she already has plenty of damage dealing. the corrosive will work well against the grineer but chances are saryn players are well accustomed to dealing with enemies with armor on the viral gave her much greater flexibility. in regards to the spore/molt synergy, I can tell you first hand the saryn players spamming spores onto molt were not the real demographic, yes it was effective but someone who actually likes the frame isn't likely to spend much time like that. Otherwise molt is looking good, it'll be nice to have it last a bit longer and that speed boost is going to be hugely helpful. On to toxic lash, all weapons is something I don't really care about as I mostly melee with her but i'm sure many players will appreciate that, the buff to duration is nice. The removal of the energy return is a little sad but I don't think it's going to hurt that much, the energy restore was pretty light. The changing of Miasma to viral will help with her flexibility hit but it won't be nearly as good at debuffing as the spores were. Overall it seems like she's going to be a much slower paced frame after this rework, now that you have to maintain a single spore cast instead of just dropping one into whichever cluster you hit it's not going to be as easy to get it all over the map. I'm expecting far more saryn players to take to camping after this, the increase in armor is nice but I feel it means DE reached the same conclusion as players won't be avoiding as much. Overall there's some good and some bad but we'll have to wait until we get our hands on it to see for sure. I must say i'd rather they focus on speeding up their frame release schedule instead of reworking frames that are functioning fine. I understand different teams doing different things but if you're qualified to rework abilities you can work on designing them.

Show less

Odds are if they implement s

1 hour ago, (PS4)Crixus044 said:

If they change it to require LoS I'll just delete the game.  Between the melee changes and that, it would clearly show them wanting to take it from a lighthearted galaxy mob-massacre to a Dark Souls grindfest.  Needing vision on the initial cast?  Sure.  Having it drop off on the 3rd enemy it spreads to on Kuva Fortress?  Not cool.

45 minutes ago, (PS4)Angel_OfSolitude said:
Saryn is my second most played frame and I must say the utility of spores is going to be severely dropped by this. yes the damage is nice but she already has plenty of damage dealing. the corrosive will work well against the grineer but chances are saryn players are well accustomed to dealing with enemies with armor on the viral gave her much greater flexibility. in regards to the spore/molt synergy, I can tell you first hand the saryn players spamming spores onto molt were not the real demographic, yes it was effective but someone who actually likes the frame isn't likely to spend much time like that. Otherwise molt is looking good, it'll be nice to have it last a bit longer and that speed boost is going to be hugely helpful. On to toxic lash, all weapons is something I don't really care about as I mostly melee with her but i'm sure many players will appreciate that, the buff to duration is nice. The removal of the energy return is a little sad but I don't think it's going to hurt that much, the energy restore was pretty light. The changing of Miasma to viral will help with her flexibility hit but it won't be nearly as good at debuffing as the spores were. Overall it seems like she's going to be a much slower paced frame after this rework, now that you have to maintain a single spore cast instead of just dropping one into whichever cluster you hit it's not going to be as easy to get it all over the map. I'm expecting far more saryn players to take to camping after this, the increase in armor is nice but I feel it means DE reached the same conclusion as players won't be avoiding as much. Overall there's some good and some bad but we'll have to wait until we get our hands on it to see for sure. I must say i'd rather they focus on speeding up their frame release schedule instead of reworking frames that are functioning fine. I understand different teams doing different things but if you're qualified to rework abilities you can work on designing them.

Show less

yep, gonna be campframe. i do feel like spores are gonna get so nerfed. it is like wait for some time to stack dmg so you can actualy kill something and be like, mr. greener can you pls stop do anything for 10min so i can kill you? and about speed up frame release you mentioned, after new elite mod in game ppl use saryin since her spore is 1st ability and other dps frame have 4th ability as inflicting dmg is limiyed. so DE is like oh they are just go 1-2 mesh for gameplay, lets change it. 

Edited by -HoB-AngelofRevenge

1 hour ago, blaes said:

Having the stacks hold even after the spores die out won't fix things either, because when you put a spore back on a person, you'll be right back to where you were left off before, which is quick tick kills that will either cascade again, or kill itself out again, except this time,you'll kill it out faster than before, which means more energy spent. Talk about kill steals.

The sprint method you mentioned scales with whatever weapon you are using, which you can get pretty good damage with this method. Maybe not as strong as the cap of this escalating, but close enough, and best part, it actually works. Even better, it HELPS the escalating damage method,because by having the toxin carry compete with the escalating damage for the kill, it keeps the escalating damage as a reasonable level below the enemies health, preventing the cascading effect or the dying out effect,

On 2018-05-11 at 4:00 AM, [DE]Danielle said:

Recasting Spores will detonate all active Spores and will deal 2x the damage on an infected enemy based on the number of active Spores and their current damage per tick.

This doesn't make sense to me. This implies that when I cast Spores all existing Spores will be popped. How do I spread the Spore love to the entire map if this is the case?

2 hours ago, pook-pook said:

This doesn't make sense to me. This implies that when I cast Spores all existing Spores will be popped. How do I spread the Spore love to the entire map if this is the case?

Watch the video, you dont recast, you continue to actively hunt down Spore infested enemies and pop spores on in order to maintain spread.

The beautiful thing is that, if they turn that accumulative dmg shown in UI as the dmg dealt (then x2) when recasting, Spores could work like Equinox's Maim, making it very useful against heavier units/long runs. Of course, not so much for certain missions like defense if it falls off when enemies are gone.

Seems like an overwhelming buff for a low cost ability. 

9 hours ago, (PS4)Crixus044 said:

@[DE]DanielleHave you addressed whether Line-of-Sight now affects Spores? There's no mention of it in the workshop notes, but watching the stream, it seems this is the case. To put player's mind at ease, I believe this is a highly important factor to clear up

Watch the Corrupted Corpus enemies that where not yet in LoS, already infected as she walks the hallway.
Edit: Might not be clear to some, move to 20:21, the 2 Corrupted Corpus enemies up the steps as she turns around.

Edited by Souldend78
Some people can't watch past 10 seconds of video to answer their own questions

22 hours ago, hexacypher said:

I've only been playing for 3 months, but If this is true, then it'll be really hard to support DE in the future. It's kind of like why bother to even respond to these Dev workshop things, if they just ignore us and go stubbornly in their own direction. While reading through this thread, there are a lot of people fine with the changes, but there are also a lot of people who are not fine with these changes. It seems like a lot of the people that actually main Saryn aren't fine with them. As an aside, now I'm hearing that Ember and Gara were nerfed. Also I remember seeing a Youtube vid that said Valkyr was nerfed. This all seems so disheartening, especially after the hot mess that was the Onslaught/Khora launch.

--

On the Saryn front, the more I think about it, this rework is a stealth nerf. I'd rather have no changes at all. I level upped Saryn a month ago and benched her because I didn't understand how she worked. She was just MR fodder then, but after observing good Saryn players and reading the wiki, I gave her another go. After that her kit clicked with me and she became one of my go-to-Frames. Her play style and kit are pretty unique at the moment, and the more and more I play with it, it'll be utterly sad to lose it.

3 years and months or so. Trust me, so far it's "we push the bad til you guys accept it as good". The times we've come to the forums to discuss these things only to get shot down... Yup yup! Memories. Just like we stated on another thread, they *read* our comments but never our solution pitches. They always go and do something entirely different or borderline useless to the conflict at hand.

I, too, feel like this is punishment wrapped up as a present. But whatever. Not like we can stop it, fix it or change it or anything. We just talk, like each other's comments and watch as the game flips inside out repeatedly. Over... and over... and over...

So first of all I think these changes sound pretty good!

But I feel like she could use a some small tweaks to make her "seem" less clunky since we don't have the rework live yet.

Spores:
   -The "cast again to explode" thing seems a bit slow for faster missions considering it resets the stacks and makes all of the spores dissappear.
    so how about making it a "hold to explode" so you can recast it into another room with your stacks.
    or make the explosion spread the spores (maybe with a bit of bonus range) with a cost of lets half of the stacks?

Molt:
    -looks great but maybe keep the spore synergy as a "crutch" to get your spores spread.
     You could give the spores a damage penalty for doing this.
    -Also from personal experience it barely does anything for your survivability if you cast it might fight.
     How about giving it a small range taunt effect when casting it?
     Or a evasion increase?

Toxic Lash:
    -since the new melee system was announced, the block amount increase is probably going to go sooner or later.
     Giving her a damage resistance instead might be a good change. (I think the survivability change for Molt would not be needed if this would be added)

Miasma:
    -I think you don't want to buff this too much because you don't want a saryn 1.0 to happen again.
     so all I think it really needs is a bit of range.
     yes she has a lot of armor but she still is a caster frame.
     without the augment for molt she can't even restore her health consistently.

I hope atleast little bit of it gets considered! :3

PS. alot of other people already said this but please consider reworking underused frames (mainly Wukong, Nyx and Vauban in my opinion) if it's not already in the works of course.
    also don't know of any of my suggestions were already made but I'll say sorry in advance if it is the case.