Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shield or LIfe steal ability for excalibur

iNew_Vexx

The lotus boy, the first one, the melee frame. Excalibur.

We love him, but we dont use him soo much in those days right? On very long endurance runs, the "endgame content", excalibur players seem to put him off a side and back to rhino, chroma, and some another AOE damage frame...

BUT, if exca is like valkyr, another melee frame, why he dont have some shield or maybe life steal ability? Make more sense to me be a melee if i have some bulkness to take the fight on close quarters...

I know we have quick thinking builds and a very nice CC, but really guys, how often u see a exca on endurance runs? Its only a ideia.

radial blind...chromatic blade with healing return (or even just normal exalted blade fpr more status effects, though lower proc rates)...mini radial blind with slide attack while in EB.

life strike, for those who use it.

There is Exodia Might on Zaws that can heal on finishers (50% chance with a 30% of damage dealt healed..at max rank)...which radial blind opens enemies to.

Personally, I've shelved Excal as I now cant stand his constant energy blade spam (really with they had made that into the combos...instead of all the attacks).

6 hours ago, Khaeji said:

BUT, if exca is like valkyr

Is he like Valkyr? They have virtually no similarities aside from an exalted melee, and Exalted Blade is designed to spam from medium ranges. He's not an in-your-face bruiser like Valk and Wukong are.

That being said, I 100% agree that Excal could use some survivability. Honestly, given how bad Javelin is, I would take literally any ability over what we have right now.

It's not the most original concept (been done to death in plenty of other games, especially asian fantasy games), but I think it'd be cool if his 3 produced several floaty swords (or ethereal Skana Primes, for ExcalP) that followed him and blocked damage on occasion. Kinda like Amesha's Watchful Swarm, except with a few tweaks so it's not hilariously overpowered.

Example:

Phalanx - 75 Energy
Excalibur will summon 5 ethereal javelins (scalable by STR) that float behind him. Each javelin will block 60% (not scalable by STR-- we don't want to accidentally turn him into a tank) of incoming damage for the next 3 hits. Casting this ability again while active will cause Excalibur to launch the remaining javelins towards enemies, dealing high damage (scalable by STR, melee mods, and stealth multipliers) and impaling them to walls.

("Phalanx" was a formation used by groups of spearmen that combined both offense and defense. But it also involved using a crapton of shields, so this probably isn't the most suitable name.)

Basically, the next 15 hits will deal reduced damage to Excal, with a javelin disappearing after every 3 hits. Recasting will basically cause a Radial Javelin with the remaining spears, with a lower spear count but MUCH higher damage (i.e. less cheesing versus weak enemies, more use against high-leveled enemies). 
Scaling from # of hits (rather than a Duration) means that avoiding damage is still encouraged and facetanking is strongly discouraged (true to Excal's current gameplay).

Obviously not perfect, but you get the idea.

Edited by SortaRandom

Am ‎11‎.‎05‎.‎2018 um 09:25 schrieb NeithanDiniem:

Exalted blade makes him block most attacks against him, and Life Strike works with it. You don't need to make these innate or add a shield to a sword-based Warframe. Hes a blade master, not a knight.

Auto-block while channeling can empty your energy pool in a second. Also blocking can totally screw up the amount of energy you get by rage. And sometimes life strike doesn't work due to lag.

I'll use a slash dash/chromatic blade-hybrid with vitality, dual arcane guardian and healing return. It's a pretty tanky build with much more consistancy in comparison to anything with life strike, and yet Excalibur still struggles in comparision to other melee frames. I can sympathize with the OP, but I think we should wait for the melee rework. I think he will benefit greatly from a reworked blocking without energy cost for example.

Edited by Sahansral

49 minutes ago, Sahansral said:

Auto-block while channeling can empty your energy pool in a second. Also blocking can totally screw up the amount of energy you get by rage. And sometimes life strike doesn't work due to lag.

I'll use a slash dash/chromatic blade-hybrid with vitality, dual arcane guardian and healing return. It's a pretty tanky build with much more consistancy in comparison to anything with life strike, and yet Excalibur still struggles in comparision to other melee frames. I can sympathize with the OP, but I think we should wait for the melee rework. I think he will benefit greatly from a reworked blocking without energy cost for example.

But Exalted Blade Auto Blocks front the front front. Healing Return or Life Strike allow you to heal when needed. Due to Radial Blind CC you on you only needed to channel during Life-Strike attack. Chromatic Blade made Healing Return viable on Excalibur.

And then you have the ultimate Survivability in high levels: Slash Dash spam. Since Excalibur is invulnerable while dashing with Slash Dash, just like Atlas/Rhino Charge/Hydroid.

While Slash dashing Excalibur cannot be harmed even if a Bleed/Heat/Toxin proc is on, it does not drain health while performing the Dash of Slash Dash.

Granted this might be entirely different with new melee & they might have Exalted Blade Quick-melee(light) charging the damage for Heavy attack (Wave Blade) also removing Wave Blade spam.

I'm thinking Wave Blade might get Line of Sight treatment, but hope DE will allow Acolyte Mods to finally work on Exalted weapons.

I think you're missing what is, essentially, the most important ability that Excal has; Radial Blind.

Use this, and enemies can't actually attack you while staggering, and they can't target you after until the ability wears off (although they can still fire wildly if they know you're there, so be careful).

The best state of an enemy is dead, the second best state is 'unable to do attack you', which is where Radial Blind is so important. Mod for it, use it, love it like it's your long-lost sibling, and Excal will survive incredible levels of content, even without his Exalted Blade. He'll do even better with it, too.