Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What I want the Dojo to be

DrakeWurrum

I recently commented on the Warframe facebook page about this, and people seemed to love the idea, and suggested I post it on the forums. It looks like I once posted about this idea back in 2014, (back when Dark Sectors weren't out yet, and people were excited about it) and I lately feel the itch to bring this up again. I have no idea what other people have posted on this, as I don't lurk these boards. I also have no idea what's being worked on by the devs, but I haven't seen anything specifically hinting at this in the devstreams - just decorations, UI improvements, lighting effects, and more like that.

The crux of it is this: I just want the dojo to be a full-fledged hub that you don't have to leave unless you want to. In a sense, a place you can hang in and work from, as a Tenno, in lieu of your Orbiter. I want it to really feel like your Clan's home.

This obviously would take quite a few changes, improvements, and additions to the dojo, but I think it would be worth it. If you make the dojo a place where clan members hang out in lieu of the orbiter, it could make clan companionship better. It would make the game feel a lot more social than just a chat window, or seeing total strangers in a city hub. More importantly: people would actually CARE about the dojo if it had some more practical usage to it, because right now, I only ever go to the dojo to access the research lab. Other than that, it just feels like a shared decorating space akin to our personal room in the orbiter.

• So add an Armory room with access to the arsenal, mods, foundry, codex, news, market, incubator, etc (yes yes, we can access some of that in the menu; it's not the same feel!). It'd probably be best if most of this was accessed either from one room, or if these could be accessed from special "decoration" terminals that we can install in any room. I think this room would look awesome designed kinda like the Iron man "Hall of Armor"  - perhaps it would show off random Warframe loadouts from clan members.
  • Add a Helminth room - Stop the spread of space aids! Plus, it'd be cool to see more infested things in the dojo. Or perhaps the dojo would have it's own entity, not Helminth?
  • Add a Syndicate room - I think this would work best as a specific room instead of a terminal, as it would be cool to see a sort of "tenno embassy" kind of room, with each syndicate visually represented.
  • Add a Transference room - I think this would call for a special room, and perhaps it could be designed similarly to the Reservoir in how it looks. I think from here you could access a terminal to transfer your operator here, making the Dojo your base of operations. Obviously you could access operator stuff here, either way. Also: it should be a room you could only access if you've finished the Second Dream, to help protect clan members from spoilers.

Everything we can do from our personal ship should have some way of being done from the dojo. It should be possible to use the dojo as a full-fledged replacement for our personal ship. People who desire more social interaction, to make the game feel less "solo" should be able to opt into making the dojo their home base area, as shared with other clan members. I think this would work better than any city hub, if done right.
Also, we desperately would need access to things like Region and Trade chat from the dojo.

Perhaps if necessary, some sort of incentive could be had for people using the dojo. Maybe like an affinity boost or resource drop boost, for navigating to missions using the dojo. SOMETHING that makes it really draw people in to it.

There's so much else that could be added to give a better feel of making the dojo the clan's mission hub.

• A room where you can see Landing Crafts parked. Maybe with a dojo research landing craft. This would give the feel of clan Tenno being "parked" at the dojo. Perhaps here we could also customize our landing craft exterior with some unique dojo-only functions. I picture it similar to the relays - you can specifically see your ship, and see other randomized ships at other docking locations. It would be even more cool if we could see an orbiter docked here, to finally know what it looks like beyond just some art. (Perhaps instead of using a Transference room to set the dojo to our home, a sort of Docks room would serve that function?)
  • A "holo deck" a la the obstacle course, but for fighting simulations, in different mission modes, against different enemy types, etc. I honestly would love to see more "simulation" rooms similar to the obstacle course, but with different designs and tests. Obviously the obstacle course is being worked on right now by the devs, but I think there's other kinds of training that tenno would go through.
  • Perhaps a "menagerie" to show off different companion pets - kubrow and kavat, complete with habitats. Toss in some of the "decorative" pets which we can grab from Cetus. Perhaps we could even research, unique to the dojo, specific types of kubrow or kavat, at some sort of genetics lab.
  • An aquarium room, where clan members can work together to add fish and decorations to, just for fun.
  • Add a somachord decoration - let us place music in the dojo! Obviously only specific ranks should be allowed to change it? Would be specific to the room it's placed in.
  • Let us add NPCs! The dojo feels so dead. It would be interesting if we had clan-aligned NPCs, like the humans in the relay, helping to aid the Tenno of the clan. Even if they're just decorative, with limited animations. But it would be more interesting if NPCs could serve specific functions in the dojo - like syndicate access, or special dojo-only vendors, etc.
  • A job board, providing missions specific to your clan, which you can only get from your dojo - similar to the alerts you normally get in your orbiter, but themed as though regular folk around the system are petitioning your clan for jobs, with offered payment. The quality and number of jobs on your board could be affected by the size and level of your clan.

I think I'm just tired of having worked so hard on my dojo's design, only for it to feel like a big empty decoration space...

Edited by DrakeWurrum

After running a couple squad missions from the Dojo observatory I can confirm that it is the best feeling gearing up together in your Dojo and returning there after a mission to reap the rewards. I need something like this to happen.

I remember teaming up with a friend in our dojo to farm Mesa. Or more accurately, farm Mutualist Nav Coordinates. Although we did wind up spawning in different places, it was nice to meet in our Observatory, chat for a moment in between runs and see each other update our gear in real time. Until we had to go back to our ships to build more keys. I would love for the dojo to have all the functionality of the orbiter at least. 

This.... This is what Ive wanted ever since i became a clan warlord. It would really "make clans great again" or even better than before by adding more functionally and have it actually be something than just an unused waste of space (which i personally dealt with by removing transporters to the labs and, in a way, force people to learn the layout; Only putting transporters on each floor instead of everywhere is how i not make it a waste of space lol). I fell like DE should do this, but given how they said their staff is, Im not sure how long till we get it. IF, by some means players want to work for DE to make the changes happen, then that would be awesome. Id LOVE to do that but i lack the required expertise; Id be only good at concept designing to a degree and not actually making the models as well.

Also the ability to delete doors to make one way rooms and extended, seamless, and better flowing hallways would be better than having a fortress of doors.

Overall, yes i love it, its much needed. Hopefully this previous dojo update wont be the last and our wishes get granted and we get more for the dojo.

Edited by Rauxa9

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed when playing with the recent dojo updates that they not only added a single panel to do missions from in the Observatory (Seriously, that's it? The Relay's mission control was what I had in mind!), but they added a little arsenal tool in the corner, similar to the one in the orbiter.

It does seem like they're listening to these suggestions and trying to improve the QOL of dojos, but I'm hoping they work harder at it than this. :S

• 3 weeks later...

YES a thousand time YES to this!

As a founder of a clan, I've been trying to push for my clan to become more of a community hub and less of a clique experience, but Warframe in its current state does not inspire human interaction at all. The Clan Dojo is a very solo experience at the moment; what incentive do you have to go to the Dojo?

Your suggestions would perfectly provide said incentive: a chance for the Dojo to be a true hub, a place where you can meet other players, have a chat, and gear up before you return to the grind. I love this 100%. It'll add a sense or "personality" so to speak to the Dojo and the Warframe experience as a whole. 

What I really also want to see is more customization options in building the Dojos. The process as it is feels very devoid of any creativity or a human spark. Maybe creating a Dojo layout/simulator might help in easing the building system.