Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee: Present and Future goals!

[DE]Rebecca

6 hours ago, CuteFoxyFox said:

So I think we could introduce more Parry mods here. Only few players know you can Parry an enemy with Channeling block.

...what's a "Channeling block?" lol

Konami code? You mean we can finally use that up-down-up-down-left-right-left-right-A-B-Select-Start code?

After thinking this over, removing the damage benefit from combo counter for base attacks will make everyone build weapons for speed and ignore all the stances just to abuse the heavy attacks more, which is not what is intended. Also, channeling is required for a number of mods.

I have a few questions but first I'd like to suggest the following:

Spoiler

Keybinds:
-Blocking to the 'reload' button, unless a sidearm is equipped. When reloading, you will block automatically.
-Heavy attacks to be a 'quick hold melee button' and Charged attacks to be a 'hold-release melee button'.
-Aim/current_block button, when a sidearm is equipped with your melee, will cause you to block while focusing your aim, allowing you to deflect some projectiles and giving you more time to focus on getting headshots.

Charged/heavy attacks:
-use a Javlok-like chargeup system where releasing early swings heavily, but quickly - while charging it up fully would make the attack deal finisher damage and cause fatal damage (basically putting heavy attacks as the 'quick-charged' and charged as 'hold-release').
-will take a 0.5 'stack' from the combo counter per charged attack, but will take half of it for the heavy attack.
-animations for the two-state heavy attack can be pulled from the old melee systems and sectioned off in the same manner as stances.

Combo Counter:
-damage bonus be kept as it is right now. 
-maybe scaling indefinitely, as to reward persistence with even the most lowly of weapons - like the Skana and all machete-type weapons.
-every combo counter multiplier acts as a stack, with heavy/charged attacks taking one from this.

Channeling:
-keep the ability to enable channeling, however this will not enhance weapon damage or drain energy. Instead, it would serve as a 'melee zoom', giving you a more focused field-of-view on the target and causing attacks in a narrow forward arc to have greater range. This allows the channeling-specific mods to remain functioning as they are, though a wide number of these may need a rework.
-When a sidearm is equipped and you use the aim key, channeling will still occur, but have no effect on the sidearm.

The question(s):
-What's happening with channeling, charged/heavy attacks, combo counter, and weapon range?
-How does the directional slam attack function? Is it a charge-then-release action?
-Will there be mid-air and mid-slide combo attacks?
-Will this or will this not affect Exalted Melee weapons?

il y a une heure, SirSovereign a dit :

I really hope the Sarpa and Redeemer get some love... Critical for Sarpa and status for Redeemer would be amazing..

I bet on drastically limited use of quick melee shots instead, maybe tied to combo counter. Maybe even complete removal of quick melee shots.

2 hours ago, Robolaser said:

I bet on drastically limited use of quick melee shots instead, maybe tied to combo counter. Maybe even complete removal of quick melee shots.

You think they'd drastically cripple weapon stances that are already hardly ever used? Very very doubtful.. but if they chose to go that route and make it to where you have to have melee equipped for the full effect, that would be fine I think.

Dear DE

I love you guys I really do, so I will make this short

1. DON'T change the melee combos, at least not all of them just change the ones that need more wide swinging attacks.

2. DON'T implement the new combo and heavy attack system it destroys the whole concept of the combo counter, I don't think people will settle for what will probably be a NERF to Blood rush and Weeping wounds.

3. DON'T remove channelling. yes the current in game channelling is flawed and isn't really being used, but instead of removing it modify it, give it something people would want to mod for. For example if you gave channelling the ability to increase melee range by up to 100 percent. The extra range would appear as an energy projection like a very short range Excalibur's sword wave, that would definitely see people jumping on it. OR you could give channelling the ability to create a phantom blade made of energy this would double the combo building potential of all weapons.

4. FINALLY dual welding both melee and secondary should have unique combo mods depending on the weapon class. For example a heavy blade and a dual secondary should have a stance/combo mod where by the secondary hit stuns the enemy and the melee performs a finisher on the single target and a combo/stance where by the the attacks of the melee are more wide swinging and the shots from the secondary are shooting in a more round about manner, the last attack should be a AOE so that it will be easier to chain into other things or continue the combo. Simply put just look at "Devil May Cry" the combos there are worth looking at 

5. PLEASE reduce the channelling efficiency 5 energy per attack is to much considering players have to fight hundreds or thousands of enemies. an efficiency of 1.5 is much more appealing, because as is there are so many things that depend on energy (e.g life strike, quick thinking, abilities... E.T.C).

6. CHANGE OR INTRODUCE new channelling mods.

I hope am not to late to give my opinion on this topic. thank you for your devotion to your game 

honestly i agree with DE not fully addressing some of the anxiety and fears people have, but i hope this doesn't end up like damage 2.5 were they just trash it because people reacted negitively without constructive feedback.  anyways my view on this would to make light attacks fast and quick  while making heavy attacks seem like a finisher in a fighting game. possibly have hammers ground pound on heavy attacks and have glaives gain a bonus travel speed with damage so we can see the glaives bounce or fly from enemy to enemy. a thought i had at one time would to give some melee weapons some special or nice abilities with charge attacks that both fits that weapon and makes it more effective.

usually I'm all for change because it's usually fixing broken stuff.. But changing the way combos and combo mult works just seems like a mistake-fixing something that isn't broken.

We just need more incentive to use channeling mods as well. By taking away channeling, we lose channel block/parry, use for mods, arcanes for zaws..

2 hours ago, SirSovereign said:

usually I'm all for change because it's usually fixing broken stuff.. But changing the way combos and combo mult works just seems like a mistake-fixing something that isn't broken.

We just need more incentive to use channeling mods as well. By taking away channeling, we lose channel block/parry, use for mods, arcanes for zaws..

I agree

It would also be nice if the idiotic ai wouldn't send enemies running through you. So sick and bleeping tired of having something run up on me, aim at it, and it does nothing because the enemy is clipping through me and the crosshair doesn't "see" it. Jesus Christ, it's right next to me, how the hell do you miss when you're aiming right at it? A Grineer Butcher doesn't need to be standing inside of me to hit me. How about a bounding box, DE? Skyrim had that down many years ago--why don't you? 

An auto-aim feature when the crosshairs are within so many degrees of a target should kick in. Especially in this game as it's so fast-paced and you often don't have time to aim down the barrel at an approaching helminth charger. It should be, If targe is within x meters, the auto-aim feature kicks in and locks the cross-hairs to it. I'm not asking for it to do so to a ridiculous degree and make it easy, but for Christ's sake, when it's standing right next to me, so long as I have the crosshairs pointed in its general direction, it should hit automatically. 

Really tired of the maybe-I-will, maybe-I-won't "accuracy" of the crosshairs. This is something that needs to be seriously considered if you're talking about making the crosshairs take on more of a functional role in melee combat where you can aim your hits.

On 2018-06-30 at 5:00 PM, CuteFoxyFox said:

So these changes are really interesting!

I was never a melee-type-of-a-person but still I like to use Nikana sometimes. But as a player for 4 years I would like to add something from me too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stances

So What are we exacly aiming in stances? Are combos gonna be made E-Mouse-E-E? Or are we still goin to have Hold E or Pause?

Personally I really really really hate Hold E and E pause. Usually melee is just here to cut through tons of enemies and feel like a boss.

But those Holds E etc are usually clunky and honestly I didnt seen anyone using it (I might be wrong).

Would be happy to see them replaced with new possiblities you are creating!

E-Mouse-E-E-Jump E

E-E-Block-E

Forward-E-E-Jump-E

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slam Attacks/Diving attacks

I always loved to use slam attacks and was really happy to see new change for them.

Being able to aim and fly to the location is sick! But my question is:

Are stance actually goin to use any of these? Are we going to get a stance with combo like:

E-E-Jump-E-E

2 melee atacks, jump, slam and stance combo still goin after slam attack

Would be cool to see it in a new Polearm stances since they have tons of range!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blocking/Channeling
So I think we could introduce more Parry mods here. Only few players know you can Parry an enemy with Channeling block.

How about we add it as a full and usefull feature? Maybe we could parry about 20 enemies in once and weapons could have something like

area finishers? Just a idea to give more options via melee!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mid Air Combat

How about any weapon that is able of dual-wealding could have a combo which knocks up enemies and keeps them in air for maybe 1-2 sec.

This would led to epic combos like "Knock up 20 enemies and shoot-em down" We could get a bonus from Headshots on mid-air enemies

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Options!

So here is what would be my dream to see after some mechanics I proposed

- You can go for Finisher damage and parry - This could let to more parry mods and more finisher mods like "After a finisher ..." - "Finishers gives a buff ..."

- You could go for slam attacks-combos from stances. More mods which do some effects on slam like Bullet jump mods or Sibear slam effect could be introduced here.

- You can go for Dual-wealding and score some mid-air headshots with secondary weapons. Could get mods "If enemy was killed mid-air ..."

- One of the most important thing is to see some interesting combos for each weapon type! Polearms could have more slams in their Stances or Combos after spin attacks!

- Throwable weapons could have more mechanics like throwing on heavy attack - weapon stays in enemy's body, we need to take it and without it we fight with fists

- About sparring weapons they should have more mechanics with blocking which is imortant in boxing 😉

- Nikanas could have more dashes, Nikanas are Samurais' swords after all 😛

- Heavy swords could use more spinning or more areal attack to cut enemies around you

- Stafs should have area attacks, go for spins and finishers

- Machetes Could use faster stances and maybe some Jump-E combos also knock ups for some trick with secondaries

- Scythes more attacks that pulls enemies to you

- Warfrans maybe some throwing, some finishers and no useless emotes at the end of the combo (im sorry >_>)

- Gunblades - Maybe combos Jump-E and shooting from air with some slam attacks

- Shields and swords - More blocking mechanics, these weapons should 100% go with parry mods and have more mechanics with blocking!

- Dual swords - Dashes, Jumps, Slams - Just make them as dynamic as you can!

- Whips - Pulling enemies to you and finishes? More range? Defenietly combos from spins "Slide - E - E - Jump - E - Slide"

- Rapiers - Stances should give them special dodges, a bit like limbo ones but smaller also Parry mechanics like on Shield and sword? Core here

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cant wait to see some epic Melee changes from you in the future

DE ❤️

I love your ideas, but i would still add one thing. 

I want to be able to hit enemy with a shield. It's stupid, that it exist there only for blocking, when we could be moving forward warframes another idling arm a little and send enemies flying with awesome shield punch!

9 hours ago, Ryuurik said:

I want to be able to hit enemy with a shield. It's stupid, that it exist there only for blocking, when we could be moving forward warframes another idling arm a little and send enemies flying with awesome shield punch!

Oh, you mean just like that other game...what's-its-name...?

Dovahkiin! Dovakhiin! Naal ok zin los vah--

What? What's everyone staring at?

Every day I'm shuff-ah-lin...

giphy.gif

IMO, what melee needs is better animations - something to make attacks feel more natural and to flow better (maintaining continuous motion and not having alot of pauses) - and a For Honor-style duel system (something that could be good for going up against Melee enemies and could be used for Melee-focused PvP and Dojo Duels).

14 minutes ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

IMO, what melee needs is better animations...

Done! 

giphy.gif

Ok, kidding aside, seriously, DE could do worse than to adopt some of the melee animation styles and abilities of, say, other previous games that we all loved and modded the ever-living crap out of. If the ancient Gamebryo engine can be coaxed into doing off the wall sh*t like improved shield bashes, UI tweaks, and (courtesy of--wait for it--not even Bethesda, but of modders who aren't even professional game designers) making an entire Imperial platoon dance to the Thriller, why can't DE get their game engine to at least offer something like a simple shield bash? Honestly, they should just hire Brumbeck and Silverlocke and Tanin to be their design directors and call it a day.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some shuffling to do...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

1.  Have the unused reload button be used for special moves with the particular melee or be an interactive ability.  For instance it can be the stealth finisher button that way when ur in a horde of enemies you wont have to stop and stealth kill someone while meleeing.  

2. Take all the combos and remove the hold, pause and directional inputs for them.  Make it to where heavy attacks and  the reload feature i mentioned be a part of the combos.  Holding the buttons will make the attack be a slower but charged version of the rgeular attack in the combo.   Ex. If during a combo they do a vertical swing or a spin it’ll be the exact same thing but a wind up to it and a somewhat fast finish. Maybe this could be how life strike works for those thay use it or channeling attacks.  There should be a combo tree for heavy attacks as well.  Start with a heavy but it could switch to a light attack and back to heavy or a special attack (special = the reload button thats not used)

3. When blocking make it to where you can aim ur attacks like Excalibur’s exalted blade minus the energy waves.  

4. Air combos and much more stealth finishers for all weapons. 

All i got for now

15 hours ago, (PS4)marcellusg90 said:

1.  Have the unused reload button be used for special moves with the particular melee or be an interactive ability.  For instance it can be the stealth finisher button that way when ur in a horde of enemies you wont have to stop and stealth kill someone while meleeing

How would you do a finisher with a gun equipped and using quick melee?

Just now, (PS4)marcellusg90 said:

Walk up to an enemy under finisher effects, the button prompt appears and you hit the reload button

And the gun reloads...

Why not bind the contextual action to the contextual action button?

Archived