Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee: Present and Future goals!

[DE]Rebecca

Welp, last time i checked the Tempo Royale stance was "affected" with the "new" melee 3.0 stupid not moving while melee fix, now my other stance for pole arms was nerfed. If this is the future of melee 3.0 then i can just stop using it all together. The reason why so many veterans left the game was that DE wants that people play this game with "moving" on the map in mind, the whole point of the dev goal was moving around the map, with the direction the melee is taking now it looks like it will be just standing still and mashing E button, since moving is so slow with melee now. Only thing that works is slide attack that keeps the momentum forward.

Sorry DE but you going in the wrong way, if it works why do you break things. 

• 3 weeks later...

What I would love to see changed in melee is the spin-to-win damage modifier. I understand the thought behind attacking melee while doing Parkour movements is... errr… more "noble" than just hitting with the melee weapon. But that creates a very ugly button mashing gameplay where you simply spam a bunch of buttons and damage is high. The combo moves are so much sweeter visually and as a feedback to my gameplay than just the spin-to-win. So yeah, I wish they were gone with the inflated numbers for parkour attacks.

4 hours ago, Mifune013 said:

Hey, whatever happened to Damage 2.5?

I think it was delayed for now due to community feedback on how it seemed to be just a degrade to slash and didn't cover the failings of other physical types. Really, it was a status 2.5 deal; and Khora was connected to it. Redesigning her to remove that heavy link was why she was delayed from Ghouls Purge's first showing to Onslaught I recall.

I for one would like to have stacking status, like we can have yellow/orange/red crits.

As a rule of thumb, the first status of that type would be white, and affect only the target. The second would be yellow, and proc a smaller AoE, affecting enemies around it and refreshing/adding to duration. Subsequent stacking status would combine duration further and increase AoE range each time. 

The effects of each element should be looked into to have them all equally desirable in certain cirmustances. For example, Slash and corrosive are very good a lot of the time, where impact usually is neglected.

Enemies should be rebalanced towards having every damage type broadly useful, but each faction would be biased to be resistant/vulnerable to certain attacks.

42 minutes ago, TheFranss said:

While I dont think this is on topic, but should weapons that have shield gain the same type of system as glaives get? As in when you equip your secondary, you equip your shield with it, giving you extra frontal protection

They’ve said (though whether they’ll commit or not is obviously up for debate) that part of melee 3.0 is going to be simultaneous equip of secondary and melee for all single-handed secondaries (and presumably single-handed melee).

Frankly I’m not sure there’s much point with implied switching, I guess it produces a fractionally smaller holster time change but alternating between quick melee and gunfire is already so fast it barely matters. The whole “dual wield” mechanic was interesting when it was announced because it was announced before implied switch. Now I don’t know if they will bother. In either case, adding block functionality to aiming with your secondary when you have a sword + shield as melee might be interesting.

Le 17/11/2018 à 13:13, Bl4ckM0onk3y a dit :

Welp, last time i checked the Tempo Royale stance was "affected" with the "new" melee 3.0 stupid not moving while melee fix, now my other stance for pole arms was nerfed. If this is the future of melee 3.0 then i can just stop using it all together. The reason why so many veterans left the game was that DE wants that people play this game with "moving" on the map in mind, the whole point of the dev goal was moving around the map, with the direction the melee is taking now it looks like it will be just standing still and mashing E button, since moving is so slow with melee now. Only thing that works is slide attack that keeps the momentum forward.

Sorry DE but you going in the wrong way, if it works why do you break things. 

I don't mind "moving" but charging awkwardly forward, passing by your enemy and ending your move in some random empty "void" tile thus reseting your frame's buffs and position is not what i would call the pinnacle of fun in modern videogames.

There's something really wrong in how tiles are designed in this game and in how collisions work. Maybe melee 3.0 should also help with that.

1 hour ago, 000l000 said:

I don't mind "moving" but charging awkwardly forward, passing by your enemy and ending your move in some random empty "void" tile thus reseting your frame's buffs and position is not what i would call the pinnacle of fun in modern videogames.

There's something really wrong in how tiles are designed in this game and in how collisions work. Maybe melee 3.0 should also help with that.

It seems from what we’ve seen that melee 3.0 is removing the “big lunging lurch animation” parts of combos, and putting them on a command gap-closer (tentatively block+melee). Which makes sense, because you basically never want to lurch forward at the middle/end of a combo but frequently want to do it on-command in specific scenarios. So hopefully part and parcel to that change is that combos don’t move you further than a single step forward per swing, because I agree, as it is your mobility during combos is friggin weird and more often than not puts you some place you never intended to be.

I would like if if we can move forward by input when we're swing these melee weapons. Try to attack an enemy while it's walking backwards. The melee is too slow to hit AND the tenno is stepping ever so slowly toward the target. On the other hand, with any attack speed buff, the combo attacks causes the tenno to pass by the target missing it entirely. One of the few reasons slide attacks are more efficient.  I just hope melee 3.0 doesn't allow us to jump attack into a slide attack back to a jump attack and repeat.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing some Dynasty Warriors lately(it's been a long time since I last played it), and I remember someone sugesting it way back when the devs made the first suggestions about the melee rework. I must say, I have to agree with them. Dysasty Warrior style would work here perfectly. Specially if they kept each weapon type unique and added some specialties such as, some weapons could have better aerial combos(which they actually intended to implement) allowing you to keep enemies from falling while moving in the air for a bit. This could be a good way to maximize the potential of a slam attack as a finisher. You could juggle the enemies a bit, while directing them closer to more enemies to finish with a slam attack.

On 2018-05-11 at 12:09 PM, [DE]Rebecca said:
  • Combo Counter minimum hits per tier adjusted significantly so higher tiers can be reached more quickly and easily. Combo Counter damage multiplier may apply to heavy attack only and all points are spent on attack.

Hoping that

a Glaive Throw

a Gunblade Firing

will be reworked so they are activated via Heavy Attack?

otherwise RIP Sarpa and Channeled Throw Glaive...

Since this thread is somewhat out of date, it has been locked for historical reasons. We have talked a lot on the Dev Streams about the changes coming to Melee, and if you have been following them, you’ll know that we have a lot planned, and some changes have already been made.

There is much more coming later as we continue into 2019, with more information coming to you as we make advancements. Stay tuned, Tenno!

Archived