[DE]Rebecca

Melee: Present and Future goals!

This thread shows no signs of hitting critical mass or slowing.

The big questions are:

Where are the devs currently at with 3.0, ?

Does a cut-off exist for this potentially never-ending project?

Do the devs and WF community have a substantial understanding of "who" 3.0 is for?

• Like 1

I believe that a thought-out mix of BDO(general combat idea for "basic" attacks), DmC:dmc (aka redundant:redundancy) (the "modes" (but instead of angel/devil maybe "focused/broad" or |offensive/defensive" or something, based on the equipped stance)

while the "default mode" would be vanilla/stanceless/quickmelee,
The modes would enable "special" moves like gap-closers||CC||Disarms||Status Procs (and maybe change the basic string?)
(Honestly, there is no reason to not use reload as a melee input, it isn't tied to any other action on the controller as far as I know, it frees up another spot for a held-type input like the current block and channeling
(and implementing two modes could be a way for us to have two stances equipped, one for each of the modes one can dream...)

5 hours ago, (PS4)TheRallykiller said:

This thread shows no signs of hitting critical mass or slowing.

The big questions are:

Where are the devs currently at with 3.0, ?

Does a cut-off exist for this potentially never-ending project?

Do the devs and WF community have a substantial understanding of "who" 3.0 is for?

back then they said it would drop beore Fortuna, they also said there would be a separate Workshop dealing with the mods/CmboCounter/other issues...

Edited by Drejzer
  • Like 1

Welp, the Fortuna build notes are putting melee 3.0 on the horizon near the same time as the Orb Spider/Vox Solaris increased standing patch, a few weeks out, if I'm reading correctly.

Which I guess means that whatever they were planning for this, they feel they've got it fairly well nailed down.

Fingers crossed.

Why remove Melee Momentum ? :angry:

Swinging Heavy melees like Hammers and heavy blades (or certain stances like Vengeful Revenant ) used to be uninterruptible but now they are gone !

Imagine this : When you rush to enemies and try to use some flashy combo to finisher them off... OOPS, getting knocked down over and over again mid-combo by some Heavygunners or MOA ! FEELS BAD MAN !

• Like 1

I realize this may be an unpopular/controversial opinion, but honestly I'd rather just dump channeling altogether and have {block + attack} just perform bash attacks to stagger heavy enemies, knockdown light enemies, and be able to charge it up to do a forward dashing bash (10m or so) which applies this to enemies in your path. I also feel that wall attacks never get used and are hard to target/execute anyway, so maybe those can get some mechanical tweaks to be more usable.

As for freeing up a button for melee, I think there are some interesting options for combo play by making them into an A, B, Block input, which could go a few ways.

A: Horizontal attack

B Vertical attack

or

A: Light attack

B: Heavy attack

or

A: Normal attack

B: Special attack; giving melee "abilities" similar to warframes, which use energy, and access different abilities depending on when they are executed in a combo. This would probably be a very long term project (3+ years at least) given the projected scope of the change.

or maybe something else entirely...

Using one of the above systems, using Block + A or B could have a wide variety of attacks, maneuvers, special effects, etc., as well as integrating block more naturally into melee combat in the first place. The combo systems would become much more elaborate, I think, but at least they would be interesting.

One final suggestion I might offer in this post is to diversify which kinds of weapons get multipliers for certain kinds of attacks. It's silly that the spin attack is one of the highest damage attacks for a dagger as well as a staff, if you get my meaning. Give certain weapon types specialties. For example, I think whips getting a bonus to their aerial attacks would really high on the cool factor as well as setting them apart from other weapons. Big 2-handed mauls/hammers having the highest slam damage would make sense too, just as another example.

To be entirely honest, and this isn't in any way meant to disparage DE, I don't really use melee weapons that much as they currently are. I don't have [Meme-ing Strike], so spin-towin isn't a thing for me (at least on PC, I do have it on PS4), so I mostly use melee weapons for breaking open containers, stealth kills in spy/rescue areas, and MR fodder. Channeling is too awkward and the combos are too unreliable to time if you use fast weapons with IAS mods/buffs. Heavy/slow weapons are really just to execute downed enemies. In general I just prefer gunplay most of the time, but I probably would use melee if it were closer to the above suggestions and spin-to-win didn't make everything else irrelevant. Also, having to actually "equip" my melee weapon is a huge downer. It just doesn't feel fluid. These are just my experiences, though. I'm not trying to speak for everyone on this.

Edit: Realized I had one more suggestion for melee.

Remove polarity from stances and allow people to equip (at least) two stances at a time, then in combat you can use the alt-fire button to switch between them. Doing this at the right time during a combo could let you continue your animation without the "wind down" animations that normally happen with combos. This would be a HUGE win for Melee 3.0.

Edited by FrostDragoon

28 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

Oh my. Not coming this year.

You know, with the number of stat changes involved and the like I'm not extremely surprised, but could we at least have the Dev Workshop discussing how the new mechanics will work, what will happen to channeling, etc.?

If it's true that there's just too much work grinding through all the data points on weapons, rivens, stance cards, etc., okay, fine, that's probably a ton of data to rebalance, but at least some indication of what DE intends to DO with melee (outside of stat changes) since we've seen a whole bunch of things. I think that's all anyone is concerned with, anyway; stat changes are stat changes, they happen all the time, and if one weapon becomes less viable than another (grumbling aside) people will adapt. But if melee is changed in a way that radically alters its viability or functionality as a SYSTEM, that's what everyone is anxious about.

Show us what's being worked on, talk to us about what's being worked on, and if that means "none of the stats here are final", okay.

• Applause 5

41 minutes ago, RhythmScript said:

Show us what's being worked on, talk to us about what's being worked on, and if that means "none of the stats here are final", okay.

^ This.

I don't think the stats are even important yet; just update us on what the mechanics are and how they interact.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 3

Next year? Alright. But they did say on the devstream that we would be getting some things from 3.0 before its launch, so that's good. Still, the players are curious about what's going on under the hood - a workshop would be much appreciated!

Edited by Mach25
  • Like 4

Welp, last time i checked the Tempo Royale stance was "affected" with the "new" melee 3.0 stupid not moving while melee fix, now my other stance for pole arms was nerfed. If this is the future of melee 3.0 then i can just stop using it all together. The reason why so many veterans left the game was that DE wants that people play this game with "moving" on the map in mind, the whole point of the dev goal was moving around the map, with the direction the melee is taking now it looks like it will be just standing still and mashing E button, since moving is so slow with melee now. Only thing that works is slide attack that keeps the momentum forward.

Sorry DE but you going in the wrong way, if it works why do you break things. 

• Upvote 2

Oh i forgot to mention this here....Please use "Ghoul" stance for "Fist" and "Sparring" blocking.  Its better than what we currently have.

iRfZjwY.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What I would love to see changed in melee is the spin-to-win damage modifier. I understand the thought behind attacking melee while doing Parkour movements is... errr… more "noble" than just hitting with the melee weapon. But that creates a very ugly button mashing gameplay where you simply spam a bunch of buttons and damage is high. The combo moves are so much sweeter visually and as a feedback to my gameplay than just the spin-to-win. So yeah, I wish they were gone with the inflated numbers for parkour attacks.

Edited by Rash-X