Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee: Present and Future goals!

[DE]Rebecca

This really isn't related to melee 3.0 since it seems alright to me. But I was thinking of the games current state. Which is that it's a bit difficult for beginners and great for those in the middle. And the ones that have done most things can't really find challenges. Personaly I'm not endgame level yet as the FASHION FRAME is still needed. But I have noticed that I can very much calmly do about everything. And so with the next big update bringing new content I can see a lot of joy since I can spam Fortuna and Railjack. But after the challange reappears, the dreaded content drought. My idea isn't much better but if you were to significantly increase the difficultly of the next quest to sortie 3 lvl. It would be more of a challenge. I'm not sure if the "New War" will give us a new planet but if there is one. Make it very difficult and somewhat rewarding. I say this because I'd rather not destroy eveyones build with some new meta. Personaly I think something along the lines of Arcanes in terms of power would be good as they are much more utillity than power. Or my favourite more exclusive fashion items. Like a whole set locked behind great danger. I suppose a Syandana and armor and a color set would be something the endgame boiz would like (and gals). Although I think risk should be a thing too. Like them adding a 24 or more debuff to all warframes. Something like what the dragon keys do but random and out of your control. Also I would like it if it was locked like some bosses are. At first I thought of just not allowing someone to taxi but having an entry fee of sentient cores wouldn't be bad too. I don't know how others think but personaly, I like working for my rewards. Which is why a game like warframe that is very grind heavy suits me. To anyone that read this... congratulations you're insane now...

4 hours ago, (PS4)TheRallykiller said:

I empathize with your frustration, but I do think there's way more data and analysis behind Melee 3.0 than just "dumbing-it-down", making it for n00bs, whatever...

I get the feeling that there's a huge portion of the semi-active community at all ranks of mastery that just aren't using combos.

I remember farming for the Dakra Prime and Crimson Dervish just for the huge damage combo...but it never applied as well I hoped it would, despite tons of practice and perfect execution, to the mission types as well max range Orthos spam, and eventually spin-to-win (which I've never done because I don't have the mod).

In response to some of the channeling comments above...

It IS great and CAN be powerful, but the demand is greater than the payoff versus other methods of dispatching enemies.  It's not that IT ISN'T effective, it just lacks some of the stronger weapon/frame synergies that deliver similar results per unit time/effort.

Again, I wonder just how far they are into 3.0—was the what we saw a vertical slice, or a far-more developed system (from a foundational point of view)?

will see i hope im wrong in this but unlikely

9 hours ago, lullul1635 said:

I wonder whether short ranged weapons like fist, sparring, claws, etc can get any advantages or not..?

Hope De Give us considerable options to pick those weapons even compare to long ranged spin-to-win weapons Despite short range.

I've always wondered why they dont give them claw combo counters

8 hours ago, lullul1635 said:

I wonder whether short ranged weapons like fist, sparring, claws, etc can get any advantages or not..?

Hope De Give us considerable options to pick those weapons even compare to long ranged spin-to-win weapons Despite short range.

I can see stuff like this:

Advantages:

• Gapclosing combo (Block combo) has significantly longer max distance, making them highly suitable to fight spread out enemies.
  • Very high DPS, in various ways (rather high damage, VERY high attack speed, high complimentary stats)

Disadvantages

• Generally shorter attack ranges
  • Less use of "wide arcs" / "cleaves" in their animations, suffering a bit more in regards to fighting clumped up enemies, at least compared to the more longer reaching weaponry

Fixing the range issue of ultra-short-range melees can be very simple. Just add a melee mod (or series of them) that adds (tiny) flat range increases, maybe swordbeam on Heavy Attack with flat range. Or, as a secondary benefit, it could boost status statistics (maybe status duration, opening up a few alternate Condition Overload builds).

I hope that Melee 3.0 will allow us actually AIM our slashes.

I have hoped from the start, that we could just aim and slash floor traps, and disable them using melee that way. (Always ground slamming is boring.)

And coptering units above us too. It's just weird, that we are not able to swing above our warframe head with melee weapons.

Or dealing damage to specific bodypart. (Head for example. Make melee headshots a thing.)

1 hour ago, Williamwaitunnaing said:

My question is "is spin to win gone entirely? (will DE overnerf it) or is it still useable? (will DE logically nerf it)" Because I have seen many developers nerf something and make the mechanic completely unusable and make the players really salty about it. 

I'm curious about this too.  AFAIK it's still stacking with Blood Rush so people are still going to have the motivation to butt-scoot all over to destroy mobs. 

More importantly, given what's happening to channeling, maybe now's a good time to get rid 'Spin2Win' completely and give us a fun way to use slides (and crit-slides) that don't motivate people to CONSTANTLY use them (at least give it a cooldown timer!)  We channel-heavy sorts are likely losing huge aspects of our playstyle, no reason to let anything be a sacred cow with all that change, right?

13 hours ago, (PS4)dzayobi605 said:

Hey D.E.

What if for rage mode there was a cutscene with our operator having the man the wall take over their body and cover the warframes with void energy and give have the voice we use as our operators scream to show it's rage mode not to take the howl away from Umbra.

Just food for thought.

Considering the state we found Rell in with Wally at least partially in control of his Merged Harrow body, I don't think Wally taking control of us would in anyway be a good thing.

22 hours ago, Urlan said:

Considering the state we found Rell in with Wally at least partially in control of his Merged Harrow body, I don't think Wally taking control of us would in anyway be a good thing.

It just to add him in because the only time we see him is our ship and after a few quests. I thought that it would be cool to get him a little more spotlight.

Spin to win is really hard on my carpal tunnel. At the same time I don't want maiming strike and my slide cc rivens to be useless or need to be re rolled. That would be a large time sink. Perhaps repurpose this stat with a relevant variable such as heavy attack has 90% chance to be a critical hit.

I am also concerned about how the combo counter only being used to amplify heavy attack damage will affect Warframes like Ash who rely upon it to deal ability damage. I can see this affecting his useabality drastically.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Soul_o-O_Eater said:

At the same time I don't want maiming strike and my slide cc rivens to be useless or need to be re rolled.

The same is true for all channeling (efficiency, damage, etc.) and there's no way everyone who channels is going to come out ahead.  I melee semi constantly and channel heavily with energy hungry rage-fueled builds...pretty sure that risk/reward equation is completely changing.

While that's a bit scary, I think we should push back VERY hard against the desires all of us have to keep our toys working and of 'equal value'.  We get the best results for all of us if we focus on gameplay.  We shouldn't hold up progress.

2 hours ago, FreeWilliam said:

The same is true for all channeling (efficiency, damage, etc.) and there's no way everyone who channels is going to come out ahead.  I melee semi constantly and channel heavily with energy hungry rage-fueled builds...pretty sure that risk/reward equation is completely changing.

While that's a bit scary, I think we should push back VERY hard against the desires all of us have to keep our toys working and of 'equal value'.  We get the best results for all of us if we focus on gameplay.  We shouldn't hold up progress.

I don't think that statement makes much sense currently.

1 hour ago, FreeWilliam said:

It's basically the opposite of 'Everyone else needs this to stay because I've got this awesome setup/mod'

Well, for that one, I think the better mindset would be that progress only happens with positive change; and for one to determine if they are going to have positive change or negative change, a person needs more concrete information about what is coming versus what they are losing.

3 hours ago, Urlan said:

Well, for that one, I think the better mindset would be that progress only happens with positive change; and for one to determine if they are going to have positive change or negative change, a person needs more concrete information about what is coming versus what they are losing.

I'll agree to that. They have shown quite a bit of the new system so far and I think they are set on going forward with it. With that said, I wanted to offer suggestions since it still is not finished, according to the Devs. I think they said it is half way done so now is a great time for that. I'm pretty sure a riven stat would be a variable they could change to suit their new system. There should also be a way to make a rare mod like maiming strike, viable within DE's guidelines. 

They did mention a few times, their admiration for the new god of war combat system. I hope function is not lost in inspiration and that this doesn't becomes "God of Warframe". I believe they can come up with a way to make this original in their game so it feels right.

Pls let "tenno fire mode" allow us to become immune to Nullie bubble effects (idk, like AT fields in Evangelion)

As an Oberon who heals a lot, the last thing I'd do is walk into a Nullie bubble and have to re cast the heal for just myself. Yes I could switch to a machine gun, but that takes longer and I really want a reason to keep my melee out....otherwise quick melee does everything just as good AND faster....AND easier to use. (which is what I do now...quick melee>equipping melee)

On ‎2018‎-‎08‎-‎13 at 2:03 PM, Williamwaitunnaing said:

My question is "is spin to win gone entirely? (will DE overnerf it) or is it still useable? (will DE logically nerf it)" Because I have seen many developers nerf something and make the mechanic completely unusable and make the players really salty about it. 

Highly doubt but it'll definitely get nerfed. Maybe the range will be significantly reduced, maybe the amount of times you can spin consecutively, maybe it'll only do good damage in channeling mood. 

Archived