Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Tenno have never done even a single truly peaceful thing.

Space0ddity

gameplay narrative dissonance.

The gameplay simply doesn't line up with the story.

Gameplay is a kill-the-things to get-the-loots.

Story is developing into a coming-of-age story, as we learn to wake up from just blindly accepting our mother's orders, and find ourselves. Then, we steadily learn to make more of our own decisions. Eventually operating largely without her. And perhaps soon, we might even have some bit where we rescue our mother, only to ultimately prove to both her and ourselves, that we don't need her guidance anymore.

bit of a disconnect.

then again...

WORLD Lore is a story of a mostly hopeless dystopia, where the only surviving creatures are built for war. endless armies of soldiers have a constant tug-of-war on the planets they conquer and re-conquer.

• Either clone soldiers who live and die for a queen they're programmed to worship religiously.
  • Droves of hopeslessly greedy war-engineers, living day-to-day solely to exploit every last credit they can.
  • or Swarms of mindless half-dead, warped by a spreading pseudo-fungal nano-virus.

The last specks of hope are the syndicates, who desperately think of ways to try and make the solar system better again.

• Those who think that an answer is out there, if we just collect enough data to find it.
  • Those who think killing everything and starting over is the way to go.
  • Those who want to peacefully trade with the last people around.
  • Those who want to ruthlessly defend the last free people around.
  • Those who idolize the pre-war ecosystem of earth, and think that it's the only way to a better world.
  • Those who idolize the Orokin and the old ways. Thinking they can become so great as to not have to worry anymore.

The world is f***ed. No way around it. We're just scrapping by on what's left, in post-apocolyptia.

So if you look at the lore like THAT, violence seems to be the only reasonable reaction.

1 hour ago, ALOEDA1 said:

rebuilding the dojo network

What?

inter-tenno marriage

WHAT?!

Because we are monsters, in every sense of the word

Well. The thing is that the whole premise of the game is Dynasty Warriors-like slaughterhouse. More particularly, the whole game narrative revolves around slaughter, disasters, and genocides of epic proportions. Combine these two facts and you'd see that in Warframe - the game that is quite weak at the worldbuilding department - more creative endeavors will come in contrast with the game mechanics and the narrative tone. 

This, by the way, explains why the teenos are referred as edgy spoiled brats: they as a species carry 0 (zero) cultural value.

Edited by Teloch

42 minutes ago, chainchompguy3 said:

if you look at the lore like THAT, violence seems to be the only reasonable reaction.

DE are Nietzscheans. Or at least Steve is (the quotes from "Beyond Good and Evil" hidden in the promotional materials of The War Within quest, the way lotus addresses protagonists as superhumans, which is the direct reference to "Thus Spoke Zarathustra", and what I am about to explain below)

In the most famous Opus Magnum of the above-mentioned philosopher (Nietzsche, not Steve, ye silly mog), there is a mention of the "three states of existence": a camel, a lion, and a child. The whole narrative seem to be following these metamorphoses:

Oh-so-suffered and oppressed teeno fight for orokin (the camel state) -> The now-betrayer teeno cause chaos and slaughter while breaking their chains of service for the sake of the negative freedom - the freedom from (the lion state) -> The now-free from servitude and, potentially, lotus' guidance, teenos must embrace their positive freedom - freedom for - to build the world they want (the child state, which is ironic given the mental age of the protagonists).

The story is currently stuck in transition from a lion to a child.

Not a bad concept of the story, really. But I despise the lack of details and all the logic controversies that DE writes into their story, causing my suspension of disbelief to throw itself out of the window. 

Edited by Teloch

45 minutes ago, chainchompguy3 said:

The gameplay simply doesn't line up with the story.

Gameplay is a kill-the-things to get-the-loots.

Story is developing into a coming-of-age story, as we learn to wake up from just blindly accepting our mother's orders, and find ourselves. Then, we steadily learn to make more of our own decisions. Eventually operating largely without her. And perhaps soon, we might even have some bit where we rescue our mother, only to ultimately prove to both her and ourselves, that we don't need her guidance anymore.

bit of a disconnect.

then again...

WORLD Lore is a story of a mostly hopeless dystopia, where the only surviving creatures are built for war. endless armies of soldiers have a constant tug-of-war on the planets they conquer and re-conquer.

• Either clone soldiers who live and die for a queen they're programmed to worship religiously.
  • Droves of hopeslessly greedy war-engineers, living day-to-day solely to exploit every last credit they can.
  • or Swarms of mindless half-dead, warped by a spreading pseudo-fungal nano-virus.

I do think the story and gameplay fit together.

The coming of age story is informed by the dystopian setting, in which violence is everywhere. The Tenno are child soldiers. They obeyed the orders of the Orokin until they could take it no longer, and murdered them all. Then they were put into cryosleep. When they woke up, they didn't stop obeying orders. They trusted in the Lotus, who had saved their lives, and she uses them to 'right the wrongs' of the Solar System. The Lotus lies to us, over and over, for reasons she says to our benefit. She absolves us of responsibility by taking away our ability to understand. Part of our 'coming of age', may be finding reasons of our own to keep on fighting.

And therein lies the crux: keep on fighting. Pretty much all the loot we get in that addictive gameplay loop is to enable us to keep on fighting.

It's good for the themes and setting that we're now seeing people like the Ostrons, who are simply people trying to live their lives, and have the ability to help them.

Edited by SaferSaviour

16 hours ago, ALOEDA1 said:

We don't have hobbies in this universe, no. When we buy or sell things, we sell weapon parts and Warframe components to further our warpath.

My backroom full of action figures in my orbiter would like to have a word with you.

Edited by WindigoTG

3 hours ago, EndermanBeast said:

No offence but they’re kinda bad.

spoken like someone who hasn't built a Zaw. there are countless Zaw builds that outclass regular weapons: for example Balla daggers, Status Mewan Polearms, and more recently the Sepfahn Nikana build. if a Zaw is bad, it's because you didn't build it right, you can make them insanely powerful once they're gilded and have a couple forma in them. Plague Zaws are strong AF too.

4 hours ago, ALOEDA1 said:

Every single action, every single event that happens between us is solely and purely based on conflict, or related to it. Even events like rebuilding the dojo network or inter-tenno marriage is still connected to violence and killing. We don't have hobbies in this universe, no. When we buy or sell things, we sell weapon parts and Warframe components to further our warpath. When we even dab in fashionframe or pet ownership, it's still related to killing and slaughter (swagging yourself up so you can prove to other players how good at killing you are).

You ever wonder why Grineer bosses always villify the Tenno and call them out as genocidal monsters? Because we are monsters, in every sense of the word. Anything that stands even slightly apart from killing, such as fishing, we despise doing as a whole and do it exclusively to obtain weapons.

What about it? That is pretty much the whole purpose of the Tenno - an army that does the bidding of the Lotus, Konzu, Cephalon Simaris and anyone else who offers us missions, or the means to complete quests. We have a certain amount of freedom within the game, to pick & choose what we do, but ultimately if we want to piece together the full backstory, it means doing lots of missions for a range of different factions, which inevitably involve a lot of killing.

We are not meant to be cast as the "good guys" but more as a military force acting on behalf of masters with dubious aims.

Its also worth remembering some missions allow you to side either with the Grineer or Corpus...so in addition to carrying out orders from Lotus etc. we are also mercenaries for hire, at least some of the time.

4 hours ago, EndermanBeast said:

What fancy swords? You mean grind  Zaws? No offence but they’re kinda bad. There’s much better stuff for us Tenno out there that are easier to get.

Considering people can make polearms that outmatch orthos prime, or some weapons that can compete with some of the best weapons there is in the game, not sure if I agree with this.

3 hours ago, chainchompguy3 said:

Screw that. The game is already more than herpderpkillmanythingsfast with missions like rescue, defection and hijack. In fact, the less the game focuses on pushing mass killing at this stage the better. The simpler the task, the faster you get bored doing it over and over.

WARframe

makes a thread about how protagonist isn't exactly peaceful.

C-pFlKnUwAATDvo.pngC-pFlKnUwAATDvo.pngC-pFlKnUwAATDvo.png

Even game icons like Nathan Drake, etc who are considered good guys massacred legions of troops to get an ending to their story. Never thought I'd see the day I'd laugh my ass off reading a forum thread as much as I died crackin up watching this

31 minutes ago, rune_me said:

It's a horde looter. We're supposed to kill things. I don't think it would be much fun if we dealt with "Invasion" missions by sitting down and negotiating peace treaties between the factions.

Personally, i think that actually sounds rather interesting... but yeah, keep that out of Warframe. 😀

6 hours ago, ALOEDA1 said:

When we even dab in fashionframe or pet ownership, it's still related to killing and slaughter (swagging yourself up so you can prove to other players how good at killing you are).

Wrong, my immaculate looks are for tricking the enemy first.

7 hours ago, Lers said:

Are we supposed to be peaceful?

I'm not perfectly up to date on the tennos current standing, but back in the beta days it was heavily implied that the Tenno is kind of an amoral
militaristic normalizing force in the solar system. We cull the factions that get too strong to overcome the others, so that none of them get out of line.

These last few quests (years) it seems to be implied that we are nice guys, since we are helping the weak, but i dont think our reasons are ever implied.

Personally i'm selecting the balanced answers in the RP lines (and by the Lotus i hope it wont bite me in the backside later). I am not a total asshat,
but i dont go out of my way to be nice either. We preserve the balance (be it in peace or war), no matter the cost.

Just because we help the weak doesn't make us good. All we're really doing is preserving what's left over since the fall of the Orokin, while trying to prevent another Orokin Empire.