Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frame Genders?

GLoRToR

FYI Ember on release was actually a MALE frame.

With a default Phoenix helmet.

Aside from that...it is a cool idea, but hey, think of how much stuff would DE have to do. Make a new separate model and textures for every single warframe in the game? How many frames are in game? 50? How many of them are primes? Half of it? So yeah, im not gonna count, but thinking about a 75 new warframe models and textures would take quiiiiiiiite a loooooooong time to make.

21 minutes ago, rune_me said:

It's probably the same ones who pay all the idiots who use meaningless empty words like "SJW" to denote everyone they disagree with because they have no real argument and nothing meaningful to add to a conversation.

"Social justice warrior (commonly abbreviated SJW) is a pejorative term for an individual who promotes socially progressive views, including feminism, civil rights, and multiculturalism,[1][2] as well as identity politics"

Doesn't look empty or meaningless to me.

Edited by Legion-Shields

13 minutes ago, Katinka said:

I guess they shouldn't have bothered with Mag Pneuma, Volt Proto, Mesa Presidio, Octavia Maestro, Excalibur Dex or Inaros Ramses before finishing Khora then.  All those models were added between Gara and Khora, just so people could look different.

None of those were made purely to feed peoples need to change a warframes gender. Its just ridiculous, like these repeated forum posts.

1 minute ago, Zanchak said:

None of those were made purely to feed peoples need to change a warframes gender. Its just ridiculous, like these repeated forum posts.

you know it's real funny to watch the Overwatch forum get swamped by people all crying for an all-girls esports team, but none of the women fighting for it want to do it themselves. They want someone else to dedicate all of their time and energy into doing a thing so the forumites can "feel good". It blows my mind.

21 minutes ago, Legion-Shields said:

"Social justice warrior (commonly abbreviated SJW) is a pejorative term for an individual who promotes socially progressive views, including feminism, civil rights, and multiculturalism,[1][2] as well as identity politics"

Doesn't look empty or meaningless to me.

It is when it's not used for anything, other than to derail a conversation or a debate. Same as calling someone a "nazi" just because you know it is a bad word that will make people immediately not the pick the side of whoever is being called that. 

People who constantly demand "equal gender" in every movie and game, and people who call those SJW (you, for example) are the same. Just two sides of the same coin. Neither are worth taking seriously.

Edited by rune_me

Just now, rune_me said:

It is when it's not used for anything, other than to derail a conversation or a debate. Same as calling someone a "nazi" just because you know it is a bad word that will make people immediately not the pick the side of whoever is being called that. 

People who constantly demand "equal gender" and people who call those SJW (you, for example) are the same. Just two sides of the same coin. Neither are worth taking seriously.

Nope, not the same. You're gonna have to try harder than that.

3 hours ago, rune_me said:

enormous amount of work it would take to implement it. 

Actually, reworking models from one gender to another is no huge undertaking for any other reason than the implementation itself. 
As one who understands the insides and outs of animation, rigging and modelling, I can tell you that I could think of worse tasks than this, were I working for DE.

As for the implementation, it's a matter of whether their engine allows for rigged models to be associated with animation sets freely. There are simple clues that it actually might, so I'd say even the implementation itself, alongside the models (custom skins excluded at first, of course) could be done in approximately 80 hours by one single modeller/animator, and significantly faster if multiple people worked on the project.

2 minutes ago, GLoRToR said:

Actually, reworking models from one gender to another is no huge undertaking for any other reason than the implementation itself. 
As one who understands the insides and outs of animation, rigging and modelling, I can tell you that I could think of worse tasks than this, were I working for DE.

It's not a huge undertaking to simply change a model. But every piece of armor also has to be custom fitted to each new model. Just look at your attachments on Rhino, compared to say Nezha. Even if it's the same attachment, it's a differently scaled and fitted model. Because each model is different, they have to do this to prevent (or minimize) clipping. So making a new model in Warframe is not just making the model, it is also testing and tweaking every piece of attachment on it. This is the same reason tennogen creators are not allowed to just willy-nilly add new geometry to the model and may only add a unique mesh to the helmet.

5 minutes ago, GLoRToR said:

As for the implementation, it's a matter of whether their engine allows for rigged models to be associated with animation sets freely.

It clearly does, since you can use every animation set for every frame. These are also not custom tested like the attachments, because there is a lot of clipping going on with some of these.

7 minutes ago, GLoRToR said:

could be done in approximately 80 hours by one single modeller/animator, and significantly faster if multiple people worked on the project.

I'm pretty sure DE don't have one person doing both the modelling and animation. Most game studios would have one role for modelling, one for animation. Bigger studios has separate jobs for the rigging (also known as the intern job, because no one wants to do it :-) ). But still 80 hours of manpower is actually a long time. Of course they could do it, that was never a discussion, it's whether they should do it. If you could make a male version of ember, or you could model a new deluxe skin, or even do a new prime frame, in that time period, maybe the male ember isn't going to be high on their list of priorities.

On 2018-05-16 at 6:34 PM, GLoRToR said:

So we have the operator, whose gender we can choose.

Wouldn't it be cool to have that affect the gender of your frames?

Male embers, female rhinos running around?

I'd love this.

Dude the idea of no-gender frames is at the core of the concept of the game, and a change on that aspect will never become a thing. It's just a waste of time talking about it.

LOL @ all the gender sensitive people being triggered by this thread. You cant even discuss gender anymore without people losing their already lost minds. If the topic makes you emotional its probably best not to click on it or read it let alone reply. But hey don't listen to me, let the virtue signalling commence. Personally, I think all the Warframes should be male. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXN-Rpy04eO1QNqOFXuNs

Edited by (XB1)DeadFall526

Or we can stop entertaining the idea.We have a Nyx to a Ecalibur, a Gara to a Rhino, and a Equinox to a Equinox. These things are added over time. Unless 'gender' is being a politically loaded word here, then there is a place for that so far. In the story telling of the game it is given that the characters who were forced or decided to give up their rights as a orokin citizen were the originals who became the Warframes. Even at a gimps from one of the clips Excalibur gave up their hair for the helmet to fit sleek on their head. Their names are given up too. There is so much more that can be dived into with each 'Operator', as is each person turned into a Warframe. Maybe that area of the game can be expanded on.

2 minutes ago, (XB1)XGN DrFeelGood said:

Or we can stop entertaining the idea.We have a Nyx to a Ecalibur, a Gara to a Rhino, and a Equinox to a Equinox. These things are added over time. Unless 'gender' is being a politically loaded word here, then there is a place for that so far. In the story telling of the game it is given that the characters who were forced or decided to give up their rights as a orokin citizen were the originals who became the Warframes. Even at a gimps from one of the clips Excalibur gave up their hair for the helmet to fit sleek on their head. Their names are given up too. There is so much more that can be dived into with each 'Operator', as is each person turned into a Warframe. Maybe that area of the game can be expanded on.

Equinox is female only aka both night and day are female

Edited by (XB1)Solargeo

On 2018-05-16 at 12:34 PM, TasteVengence said:

i dont care what the lore says warframes have genders IMO.
bash/hate me if you want but they have genders.
why because ive always thought theres a person inside the warframe being mind controlled by the operator,why do you think they all have different body shapes,no one person can magicly go from being cute (like nova) to being a brute (like rhino or atlas)

It doesn't matter if you don't care. Your opinion on the lore is literally irrelevant because they  wrote it, not you. Warframes are canonically metal and infestation based on the appearance of a specific lore character, you don't get to decide that.

Besides, "No self, no sense, no death" and the frames being called golems is enough to prove that they don't have genders, just forms.

5 minutes ago, Legion-Shields said:

Starting to think the word "gender" should warrant a temporary ban on this forum.

WOW, spoken like a true progressive ! I bet you want to ban the word MAN too,right or how bout we ban all words you don't like and then maybe we can construct a nice huge bubble for you to live in to ward off all the meanies and nasty, horrible no good terrible bad things in the world. Sit down! 

Edited by (XB1)DeadFall526

4 minutes ago, (XB1)DeadFall526 said:

WOW, spoken like a true liberal! I bet you want to ban the word MAN too,right or how bout we ban all words you don't like and then maybe we can construct a nice huge bubble for you to live in to ward off all the meanies and nasty, horrible no good terrible bad things in the world. Sit down! 

No, I'm going to stand tall and fight for my right to both shut up anyone who disagrees with me and force everyone to bend over backwards to appease my every whim and emotion. When I'm exposed for the hypocrite that I am I'll find a way to push that image onto someone else. Irony is just a word.

Edited by Legion-Shields

6 minutes ago, Legion-Shields said:

No, I'm going to stand tall and fight for my right to both shut up anyone who disagrees with me and force everyone to bend over backwards to appease my every whim and emotion. When I'm exposed for the hypocrite that I am I'll find a way to push that image onto someone else. Irony is just a word.

Wait , are we still friends ? 

1 hour ago, Legion-Shields said:

I swear to god someone has to be paying all these people who swarm every game forum on the internet with an endless barrage of regressive sjw demands. When will those people realize that all the people who disagree with their bs HAVE to congregate somewhere and that somewhere happens to be the type of place where their demands are endlessly shot down every time? We will not bend, so stop trying, otherwise we might bite back.

Whatever happened to live and let live?

Rule 8 - Keep the pressure on

1 hour ago, CupcakesMoo said:

Funny you mention it. You also have to be careful of infiltrators who end up becoming staff. That will end any forum. 

Rule 13 - Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it

1 hour ago, rune_me said:

People who constantly demand "equal gender" in every movie and game, and people who call those SJW (you, for example) are the same. Just two sides of the same coin. Neither are worth taking seriously.

Except one is an actual problem that have sunk many ips, demonize/lies about the entire fan base that refuse to acquiesce its demands, fun polices and brings nothing but mediocrity and garbage in its wake.  And the other one doesn't want to deal with all the drama listed in the previous sentence anymore and will react negatively to the same signs that appear before the fall of fandom happens.

17 minutes ago, ChargeBeam said:

Nobody posted one?

Okay, I'll do it.

Reveal hidden contents

f26.jpg

Thank you for saving me trouble!