Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Update 22.20.0] Virtual Cursor Feedback MEGATHREAD - Share Videos Where Possible!

aidan890

30 minutes ago, Jimmypdp said:

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.... Told you so??? 

Doesn't fix the problem that's present now; they should have somewhat finished their UI overhaul before giving it to us for testing, rather than giving us the worst section of the UI overhaul without any redeeming features to make it tolerable. They could have listened to the feedback they were given, rather than inflicting the incomplete and frankly incompetent UI upon the console players afterward... with none of the major glaring issues fixed. Even the bone they threw us with the D-pad being reactivated might as well have been poisoned; it's in shambles, only responds half the time, and even then only in specific circumstances of specific menus.

Swallow your extended syllable, and beat thy own brow first, sir. To quote the person you so magnanimously dismissed;

...this really should have been released as a full package.

Now run along, those of us with some amount of investment in the matter at hand have business to discuss with Digital Extremes.

2 minutes ago, ChivalricDeath said:

I know that everyone is really upset right now, but just take a deep breathe and relax, it's literally been less than an entire day and everyone that works on warframe is most likely asleep. They will see the feedback and make correct adjustments. From past teases of the new UI is looks like snapping between items is probably broken so it's stuck on cursor mode. Just relax and they will make a public statement regarding this issue later today (it's Wednesday for me). Just chill and let them know as nicely as possible, that you really don't like the changes. And if you guys stop playing until it's fixed that's fine, it should only take a day or 2 tops.. I hope 🍸

We, the PC players, have been doing this for almost a month already.
They didn't listen, and have now inflicted the same upon console players, with almost none of the glaring issues addressed.

I do believe they deserve every ounce of venom we spit.

Just now, WolvenEdge said:

We, the PC players, have been doing this for almost a month already.
They didn't listen, and have now inflicted the same upon console players, with almost none of the glaring issues addressed.

I do believe they deserve every ounce of venom we spit.

"Venom"? You don't talk like that all the time do you?

On 2018-05-29 at 1:39 PM, [DE]Aidan said:

Also relevant to this Thread: 

Steve has been tweeting about some work-in-progress changes! 

Ok see... I'm seeing this and I get what you're getting at but then again, you aren't getting what we are getting at. The fans have made it clear that this UI change is cumbersome, clunky, and ill effective. The team that is working on this NEEDS to listen to what the fanbase is saying. No one is trying to control the company. Yes a majority of threats are leaving which is several investments you honestly can't lose. This isn't to say they control you but if most people say the same thing there is an issue. There is no need to make a seamless KB&M and Controller system. It just can't work. It's like trying to make a cat act like a dog: yeah its possible but it doesn't look nor feels right so it's best untouched. Currently you're making a hybrid that shouldn't exist. 

The best thing I can say as a person who spends his days listening to people and the issues in their live's is go to the beginning of this forum. Honestly you should, AS A WHOLE, read all the complaint and criticism no matter how bad, vulgar, or in poor taste to your egos. See what the census is. Abide by that census (cause I can tell you now no one is asking for free money or something outlandish) and apply some of your newer ideas with that census cause what's in that short clip you have above will not fix the issue and it will make more angry customers. 

I'm saying this as a person who promotes your game to his friends and family. I care about your future cause I enjoy this game. No one wants to see you wash away cause you don't want to listen. You're not a fad like Fortnite or Overwatch. You have a unique game with a particular game type that hasn't been done so fluidly. But that doesn't mean you can't become one. You've already lost one game. Let's not make the same mistakes twice.

Edited by (XB1)GaspidarIII
Typos here and there cause mistakes are meant to fixed

I can't even figure out where to begin with this NEW HORRIBLE NIGHTMARE that was Crammed down our throats.

Controllers go with consoles for a reason.. IF I wanted to use a keyboard and mouse I would play on the PC version of Warframe.

Some functions are ok.. just some like 1 thing......maybe.. i'm still looking for that 1 good thing. haven't found it yet.  But the other 99% of this (insert the book of badwords here) UI is nothing but TRASH!

I came damn near close to taking Warframe off my 4 and sending in 4 a refund on the plat that i feel has now gone to waste over this (insert 4 letter word here) !!!!

You took a good running UI and turned it into a burnt broken down junkyard crusher bound Pinto!!! WTH?!? I can see small changes here and there but Forcing this PC wannabe layout onto consoles??? you have to be outa your mind..

If All the DE's want is to dig a hole this is how you do it.. now jump in and cover your selves up and feed the hamster and get it working right.. revert back to the old UI.... Hell we cant even use the touch pad to move the cursor around.. why the !&@* would i go buy a mouse to use on a CONSOLE???!!!???!!! this XBOX and PS4 Interface is BullSpit!!

I play Console so I can sit on my ass on MY couch holding a controller after work.. NOT GOING TO ANOTHER DESK USING A FLUC'N MOUSE!!

Revert back / give us the option to use the old interface OR lose another player.... period ...and more than likely the entire alliance my clan is with.. WE ALL HATE IT

3 yrs of greatness shot to "SHINOLA" over this update... Your UI is TRASH.. The person who came up with this idea needs to be fired and kicked to the dam curb.

p.s.  Did i Mention I Mention I Hated this UI?? and if anyone knows it actually takes Effort to "HATE" something.. i'll log on once a day till it reverts back.. for the next few weeks. after that i will friggin take this game off my ps4 and never endorse your game again..

thank you for your time have a bad day..

and the really bad thing is you all have yet to fix the melee weapons overlapping the Primary and or Secondary weapons during game play making completing mission without dieing really hard to do since we can't reload or weapons. But yet you took so much time to change the UI to piss people off instead.and completely destroy the console's version of Wraframe.... good job.. normally i would say dont quit your day job.. but in this case please do and hire some1 who knows wtf a console really is.

Edited by (PS4)Damontar
forgot to add in about Melee bug overlapping primary and secondary during missions.

4 hours ago, WolvenEdge said:

The Grineer, the Corpus, and the Infested will continue to wage war, consuming what's left of the Origin system, their infrastructures grinding to a halt eventually as the obsessive purpose instilled in them by the Orokin before them crumble to meaninglessness; grinding themselves hollow with the needs that their greatest victory, and their greatest loss, left them with.

Hide contents

The colonies will die; reduced to little more than a few empty-eyed shells, sorting through the rubble.

Cetus... poor Cetus.

We cannot help any of them now. The communication channels are dead, the other ships one, by one, slipping into their void masks, disappearing much like stars winking out.

He looks sadly at the empty helmet, resting on its pedestal in his quarters. The trail had gone cold, there was nothing else he could do.

"Ordis?"

"Yes?"

"I need you to open Helminth's door."

"Have you lost your mind? er.... no, I'll not do it. I know you're taking the Lotus abandonment loss hard, but is that abomination... thing really the answer?"

"No. I... we, have lost something far more valuable. He, himself, is not what I need either."
He'd made up his mind. Without the help of someone like the Lotus, without the other Tenno...
"Something has changed, and I need to wait until it stops, if it ever does."

"I... don't under - - still think you're insane ... I'll open the door now. If you need some time, you could have just told me instead of spending it with that thing... er, I'd have gone into standby."

"That's actually not too far off."
The door opened for him. Helminth was uncomfortable, but it always was whenever he came in with his consciousness in one place. He ignored the twitching chair, instead making for the bed in the back.
"May I sleep here, Helminth? You will keep me alive, as I am, unless I miss my guess?"

Confusion. Acquiescence... loneliness?

"Ordis will tell you when it's time to wake me up. I certainly hope this isn't forever."

"I will do no such shut up Ordis... I... I will do as you ask. Creature, I will let you know when the Operator's mental energy is stable again."

He lay down, and closed his eyes. For the first time in a while, he let actual sleep take him. The Ash unit twitched, its energy pulsing brighter before stabilizing again as it began to move.

"Operator?"

He moved once again to his personal quarters, sitting down by the window, in full Lotus position, preparing for what may be a long journey ahead.

"Ordis."
The energy pullsed brighter with every syllable.
"Prepare for full deep masking. We're likely to be hiding for a long while."

"... As you wish. A third dream?"

"Yes, Ordan. A third dream."
The stars faded out of view as the ship fully masked, and the Ash still sat, unmoving... its glow slowly fading to a dull light, barely present at all.
"Good... night, Ordan Karris."

"...Good night, Kid."

Another one vanishes, waiting, once again... another star dimmed, dormant, and hopeful of another return, one day. A day when Tenno could fight once again, with speed and precision that would leave foes unable to properly respond, and with techniques they could never understand.

That was cool.

On 2018-05-29 at 1:39 PM, [DE]Aidan said:

Also relevant to this Thread: 

Steve has been tweeting about some work-in-progress changes! 

I understand this is a short preview and far from a finished product, but it does very little to address the actual issues controller players are having. It looks as if the D-pad is meant to work properly in the finished product but will we be getting back hotkeys? The biggest concern a lot of people, including myself, seem to be having is that it takes more inputs and by proxy more time to use the menus than it previously did. No one has ever been switching their gear between sortie missions and said "You know what would improve this? Spending more time equipping my other frames and weapons." In fact any change that requires more inputs for the same amount of outputs is, for the user, a bad change.

If DE isn't planning to bring back the various shortcuts then they should expect to see a huge drop in console players. We simply aren't interested in trying to make a virtual mouse work for console. If hotkeys are planned features for the new UI then it's just hard to understand why they would push out the least controller friendly part of it first. As it stands the this makes Warframe feel like another bad pc port, which is a damn shame because up until yesterday it was one of the best ones out there.

DE has become too successful. They think they are too big to fail now. Guess what? You are not! Have ever heard of the world biggest mobile company called Nokia? They did the same exact thing. They literally said we are too big to fail and ignored all customer feedback. They suffered Billions! Tens of thousands people lost their jobs. Including me btw. Now nobody even remembers Nokia mobile phones ever existed. 

Iv invested money in this game because I loved playing it. For months I have played this game every single day. And yesterday when this update came... all I could do was to discuss in region chat with pissed off people like me. And even that was really painfull because I had to move the Cursed Cursor  on top the text to be able to write or scroll the text. 

Its crystal clear and obvious now. They couldn't care less about us console players. They have betrayed us deeply. 

I'm going to be really blunt I don't think universal UI is a good thing outside maintenance time on your end. 

I Honestly find the current iteration of the virtual cursor genuinely unplayable. Warframe is in large parts about customizability if it takes me 4 times as long to do that I honestly do not care how pretty it is. The reason systems like this work like this on a mouse is you can move said mouse nigh instantly across the screen AND move it with precision over short distances in the same timeframe fixed rate of movement cursors cannot do this. also to be able to use the dpad for any menu now i have to align the cursor first just why?

There is literally nothing about this ui that I do not feel is infrerior comared to the old one if its not reverted i may stop playing. this is a slow clunky mess that is being done purely to remove the need to maintain console UI. Virtual mouses are not something I want on a console game.

Edited by (PS4)OLLXK

Logging in and playing warframe was a nightmare. I have hopes that they will give us the option to choose between the new and old UI, but based on steve's tweet here it looks like they don't want to do that. I am very, very concerned:

https://twitter.com/sj_sinclair/status/1001173847658418177

> Our intentions is to unify the controls/UI on all platforms... including comprehensive Mouse/Keyboard on consoles that support it....If we can get this right will help clean up code and reduce control-specific work done on every UI screen in the game.

I don't want to play with a mouse and keyboard. If i wanted that, i would just use a PC. I want to play on my playstation 4. This tweet makes me realize DE wants to get rid of all the console specific controls instead of letting us keep the ones whe have.

So here is a list of everything i think is wrong with the UI menu by menu:

Navigation

Old: When you pressed start, the menu item "navigation" was preselected and i just had to push x, navigate to a planet and choose a mission. If multiple missions were available, the first one was preselected and i could just press up or down. Super simple. Having the selection begin directly on the menu item we were interested in was an enormous convenience.

Now: I have to push x, the cursor will appear in a random location, i need to drag it over to navigation. When selecting a node with multiple missions, i have to drag the cursor over to select the one i want. Pressing a button on the d-pad will sometimes snap the cursor to the menu and sometimes not (it seems random and depends on the location of the cursor relative to the menu and which button was pressed, its not consistent). In addition, since the zoom in/zoom out is done with right stick, sometimes my stick drifts a bit and can actually zoom me all the way out of the planet making it impossible to select a mission in the first place.

Warframe selection and opening the mod screen

Old:

* Changing warframes : Press start, press down once to go to arsenal and select it. Immediately press x again on my current warframe which is preselected, then change to a new one with the d-pad.
* Open warframe modificaiton menu : Press triangle on the warframe (shortcut)
* Changing appearnce of the warframe: Press square on the warframe (shortcut)

Here is a video of someone quickly opening the mod screen using the triangle shortcut before the change (it was so much faster before) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJfk1N9Lkvk. You can also see how the selection is by default on "navigation" when the menu is opened and how much faster it is when you don't have to deal with a silly cursor.

Now:

* Changing warframes : Press start, the cursor will appear in a random location, drag the cursor over to arsenal, then i have to drag the cursor to my warframe which is not preselected. Then i have to go drag the mouse over to a tiny little box that i have to very precisely select to choose "equip". Pressing X on the big box that shows my warframe does absolutely nothing instead of opening the equip screen by default.
* Open warframe modificaiton menu : Same as changing warframes but now we have to select a tiny modificaiton box. Traingle shortcut is now disabled.
* Open warframe appearnce : Same as changing warframes but now we have to select a tiny modificaiton box with the cursor. Square shortcut is now disabled.

Image of what it's like now : https://i.redd.it/1bjroo64r7211.jpg

Weapon and warframe modification:

Old : Select a mod and use the arrow keys to select a new mod and replace the old one. Only one hand is required to navigate the menus using the D-PAD.

Now : You need 2 hands to select your mod, need to select with left joystick and scroll with right joystick. If you try to go to the left with the left joystick or the left arrow on the d-pad, the game will ignore that input unless you scroll with the right stick.  Its like a precision aiming minigame. Oh and you have to drag and drop the mods instead of just selecting the one to replace and the old one. Much more effort is required than beofre. Its very difficult, slow and unituitive.

Leaving a squad

Before : you pressed start, up on the d-pad X, done.

Now : Need to select a veerery tiny leave squad button manually with the cursor. Even if you have put the cursor on the navigation menu manually, the up button on the d pad will no longer jump to the leave squad button 😞

Chat

Beofre : you can navigate between chat tabs using R1 and L1. Pressing X immediately opens the contextual menu to invite someone or close the window. You can use the d pad to move up and down in this window to select invite or close. When you scroll up, the chat stops so you can actually read what you wanted to.

Now : Pressing X with a "whisper" chat window (with one other player/pm) selected does NOTHING. You need to mooove your cursor over to that specific chat window, then open the specific interaction window with R3, then precisely select the person's name to open the contextual window to invite them or close the chat. Once you have done this, using the d-pad to select close or invite doesn't work any more, you have to use the cursor to select the liiiiitle thing on your screen. If you missed and selected close all instead of invite? Too bad for you, that chat window with a guy who offered you 400 plat for your lato vandal set is now gone forever unless you are lucky enough for him to write to you. If that happens, hopefully you will be able to select the correct option this time using precision cursor aiming or you might close the window accidentally again... Oh by the way if you scroll up now the chat will just keep automatically scrolling down so you have to dynamically move your right stick while trying to read to keep the window still...

Riven selection with [riven mod]

Before : You could just use the d-pad to selct the riven you wanted.

Now : You have to use the right stick to navigate the menu and the left stick to precision aim at the riven you want to select. If you press right on the d-pad to go to the next mod to the right of what is displayed, the game doesn't care. You need to move that right stick or you will not be able to select anything to the right of what is currently visible.

Fast travel

Before : The first location was preselected, use the d-pad to select a different one.

Now : Nothing is preselcted, draaag your cursor over to that menu. If you try to use the d-pad it will not select the items in order even once the cursor is on the menu. For example in cetus, if you put your cursor on one of the options with a long name and press "down", it will select the next option with a long name instead of the next option contextually in the menu. FOr example, it will skip "hok" and go right to the next guy with a long name. Press up again to go back to hok.... Its comically bad if we didn't actually have to deal with it.

Relic missions reward seleciton

Before : use the d-pad to select a reward then validate.

Now : need to use the cursor drag prior to validation. Need to both select the reward AND confirm the selection - if the selection is not "confirmed" you get the default reward. Very easy to make a mistake, and extra unnecessary steps.

Trading

Before : Select the item to trade and its immediately added to the trade. Can use d pad only and the menu will scroll automatically.

Now: Need to scroll with right stick, select with left stick, press X to choose and item AND then press square to validate adding it to the trade. Extra steps that aren't needed.

Weapon comparisons

Before : hover over a thing and it displays the difference in stats.

Now : however over thing, click on button twice. If you want to compare something else, press another button to leave the menu, scroll over to next thing, double click again -_-

Overall

Literally everything takes at least twice as long to do now and the game is not nearly as fun as it was before. Everytime i use the cursor i feel frustrated and angry. I really, really wish we had the option to get our old controls back and not use this cursor mode with controllers. I think we will have to make a LOT of noise if this is important to us though as DE seems determined to offer a "unified UI" on consoles and PC (taking only controls that are convenient for pc but terrible for console).

Suggestions for what should be done at a bare minimum if we have to keep this interface and have no choice:

* Give us back our shortcuts (triangle to mod, square for appearnce, etc)
* Put the cursor default position on the first menu item when we open that menu instead of some random ass location in space
* Pressing the d-pad when any menu is open needs to snap the cursor to that open menu, no matter where it is (doesn't always work depending on where the cursor is currently positioned relative to the menu and what menu is open)
* Add d-pad compatibility with all menus (doessn't seem to work sometimes)
* D-pad down in any menu should go to the next menu item and not just the next one with a "long name" (for an obvious example, try fast travel in cetus)
* Let the d-pad up from navigation jump to the "leave squad" button like before
* Pressing "X" on a warframe/weapon in the menu in the main part should by default open the "equip" menu to swap warframes
* Remove right joystick to zoom in the starchart menu. Its unnecessary and causes huge problems if you have any stick drift at all and can make it impossible to pick a mission. X to select a planet, circle to return to the starchart. Keep it simple.
* Make it easier to invite people and close windows using the d-pad in chat, without requiring use of the cursor. Open the chat contextual menu to invite or close like before by just pressing X when a PM window with another player has been selected with R1 or L1
* Make it so that "invite" is not right next to "close all" in the chat menu so that players don't accidentally close their windows when trying to invite someone. Increase the size of the text in all of these submenus so that the options are easier to select.
* In the modding interface, when we press left on the d-pad or left joystick let that be sufficient to select mods without needing to use the right joystick in addition
* Increase the size size of some important buttons like "leave squad", "invite" and "close"/"Close all" to make them easier to select without picking the wrong thing.

What should be done ideally : Let us switch back to the old control scheme, it worked, we liked it, it was great, please don't take it away. The new one is a nice start for people who want to use a keyboard and mouse on console (which is almost nobody, if we wanted to use KBM, we would probably play the PC version).

I know many of you are PC players and this won't affect you but i would like to thank you for your support.

Edited by (PS4)RedKain243

They can't go back? Can only move forward? Excuse me? As a programmer, that is one of the dumbest excuses I have ever heard in all my years using C. Did they somehow delete all of their old UI code? Did it fall into a black hole? Who ever thought of changing an entire game in such a way to make a complete UI set unusable? That is completely unheard of!

The fact of the matter is that there's some fat-head in DE that is having a tantrum because no one likes the new UI that they apparently liked and said that we are going to deal with it whether we wanted to or not.

How about they tell us the truth, instead of giving us that sorry example of an excuse? I mean, not even including an option to toggle it off is an insult to our intelligence.

Edited by BiTheWay
(edited to correct spelling and grammatical errors..again)

4 hours ago, mastermaniac said:

That means I can't go back, either.

Uninstalled.

I mean, it sucks, but there it is. They broke the UI, made basic functions painful to use, and ruined tandem mouse/gamepad inputs for no good reason. This is not how you develop a game. This is not how you implement features. This is, however, the proper process for ruining peoples' experience, ticking off paying players, and deep-sixing your own project.

You want to push a unified UI? Fine. I probably wouldn't like the changes, I'll be honest, but either way, you cannot just half-arse one fraction of it and throw it into the wild willy-nilly before everything else important is finished. Get the majority of it done first for crying out loud. It's like taking someone's car, giving it a shiny new body work-up, and then towing it out to their driveway without the wheels and the transmission and leaving it there, with the vague promise that "eh, we'll probably get around to the rest of it later."

I mean, it's almost like a new manager moved in, and felt the sudden, compelling need to assert himself. So many foolish, boneheaded, straight-up unnecessary and pointless changes lately. Again, the stupid animated crosshair comes to mind. Literally no reason to do that, but there it is - you have an irritating, over-exaggerated crosshair now that cannot be toggled back and refused to be ignored....gaahhh, this game isn't worth the blood pressure. Forget it.

Dude I’m just saying what Megan said lol.

I agree, it was a stupid move to add it without a toggle on/off button. My hands hurt (worse) from having to grab a mod, drag its ass (if the cursor doesn’t jump) then drop it on. It’s stupid, useless, and just extra unneeded steps.

Hell, even relic missions are a pain. Almost lost out because I didn’t realize you had to move your cursor over a prize THEN select it.

I don’t want to quit, but I also don’t see myself getting used to it either. Never really complained about an update til now. Let’s just hope de realizes “oops, we screwed up, let’s change it back” or something. But since there’s going to be a whoooole new interface soon, I highly doubt that will happen.

New cursor-based UI for Xbox console is absolutely TERRIBLE. It worked fine for Navigation because of the design format of the Navigation screen. All other functions- Foundry, Arsenal, etc...- are now 3 times clumsier and harder to operate. Arsenal especially! There was nothing wrong with the original system. It was very simple and entirely intuitive, especially to people who have played games other than Warframe. This was not broken, so it did not need to be fixed!

This is not PC!!!

I'm not playing Warframe until such time as the UI is returned to it's original format or an option to switch between the two is created.

Xbox Gamertag: MoonPocket

Mastery Rank: 25

Clan Leader, Rank 10 Ghost Clan: Pocket on the Moon

woke from cryo: Nov 2013

Edited by (XB1)MoonPocket

This is starting to remind me of some cooking show I watched a couple years ago.  They were competing for Halloween spooky meals...

Their 'client' said no beets... One competitor was convinced he could prove her wrong and make her like them...  He was right, but she fired him anyways for not listening.

I get it, they have really great ideas coming... Guess what...  Means nothing if half their user base quits before trying out.

Saying they can only move forward is foolish.  I'm sure someone at eA thought the same thing when making sw/battlefront 2... 

We controller users on PC had this for 3 weeks now. With all the complains etc they didnt revert it back or made it optional. So, i would expect that if they dont rework this in the major UI update that is coming, we all need to live with this terrible system or move on to something else. I agree, everything in menus take 5x longer now, previous UI with d-pad and hotkeys was thunderfast to navigate and super intuitive. Yes, i hate the virtual cursor.

The UI occasionally fails to work with the controller. It is a little hard to see whats going on in a video where you can't see what buttons I'm pressing but below is an example.

• I am attempting to use the controller to click on "ABORT MISSION" but when I do, the "cursor" jumps away from that option rather than selecting it.
  • I then test if I can use the cursor to select "VIEW MISSION PROGRESS" - which does work
  • I then test if I can click "ABORT MISSION" again, but it still doesn't work.
  • Ultimately, and just after I stop recording, I use the mouse to select it.

NOTES:

• This was recorded on PC, but I've experienced the same behavior on XB since you ported this garbage over to Console -the only difference is that on XB there is no mouse to fall back to so the option I want is simply not available
  • This can apparently happen on any menu as I've experienced it at least once in every menu I can think of.  Usually travelling to a mission or back to orbitor will reset it.  Sometimes using the mouse to interrupt it will let the controller start working again (of course this last "solution" doesn't work on XB where I have no mouse)
  • It will also happen with LB/RB selection options where LB/RB don't cycle the screen properly and you cant click with the virtual cursor to cycle left or right - for example in navigation to cycle from alerts to invastions to sortie, or in the arsenal to cycle between Config A/B/C of a warframe. Again - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt - and on XB, when it doesn't you are just effed. Yesterday I was unable to select a different configuration on my warframe at all by any means - only "solution" was to start a mission, abort it, then go back into the arsenal.

All this hyperbole is falling on deaf ears as we are still the vocal minority. It makes me sad to say, I'm not rubbing it in, but looking at the steam reviews that are still mostly glowing they won't give a crap about our whining. A negative rating ala skyrim paid mods fiasco this is not. 

They have told us few here to soundly suck it. 😞