Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Update 22.20.0] Virtual Cursor Feedback MEGATHREAD - Share Videos Where Possible!

aidan890

Thank You for the HotFix. It was a small step in the right direction. But still The Curse slows things and Im so confused and lost that how am I supposed to do anything really.

To unequip a gun etc you need 1st select the empty slot. Then drag The Curse on right side of the screen and click on the wall. Yeah, that's right 😄 Feels so $&*&*#(%&ed.

Chat menu is still broken. I can highlight menu items with D-pad but nothing happens if I click X. For the love of all gaming gods I cant tolerate it that I need to move The Curse over there and try to hit the right menu item. And also can't close chat windows without dragging The Curse over the X to press X.

Still can't leave from squad without dragging The Curse over there and trying to hit Leave squad instead of profile. 

Trading is still a complete hassle. The need to activate things with The Curse is a huge waste of time.

Arsenal is better but The Curse locks itself here and there when I try to transfer mod from bottom to up. And did I say it's slow? The transitions between everything is just unnecessary. Before I could switch between configs with shoulder buttons. Now I have to do it with The Curse. Its just irritating. 

Fishing... have it ever occurred to you that some of us use for example the touch pad only to use powers? So the fishing is now impossible without remapping control buttons. I have only tried it once but it felt really weird... I have to try it again to be able to give any constructive feedback how to make it better. 

Edited by (PS4)VauhtiVeikko

A few more suggestions:

• Now that we have a cursor can you finally fix the donate to quills interface on xbox? Currently it requires you to press the RB once for every shard you want to donate which is obscene.  If you are MR25 and you want to donate the lowest value shard you have click the RB 260 times.  TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTY!!!  there is no option (and wasn't before this update to hold the RB down).  
    • As an addendum to that, since we have a cursor - can you make it so clicking the cursor in ANY quantity dialog box allows us to type a quantity into the box? (Mod quantity selection etc
    • Also on PC when you hit the button to "Select All" in mods for example, the dialog window doesn't close allowing you to select all 200 Ammo drums you have then decrement  by one. On XB hitting "Select All" closes the window immediately.  Please don't close the window so we can also decrement if we want.
  • On PC, when you mouse over peoples names in the mission summary screen an overlay comes up that shows what gear they had equipped.  Now that we have a cursor on XB can you add that to XB as well?
Edited by (XB1)Tucker D Dawg

I am not using a mouse. Implementing a control scheme designed to emulate a mouse on hardware (console) that routinely doesn't contain a mouse is always going to be a worse idea than using a control scheme that is designed for the controller it actually has. 

While there was plenty of room for improvement on the console UI, you will never match the quality of making the controls match the hardware available. 

Cursor emulation would only make sense if you were actually going to implement mouse and keyboard controls on the consoles. But it wouldn't change the fact the vast majority of console players do not use mice. So why would you make them use a (albeit well emulated) mouse like control scheme? 

Even after the hotfix which has put some of the functionality back, it's still slow and clunky. And it will always stay slow and clunky compared to a control scheme written specifically for the controller most people use, because you are emulating something that is not suited for the hardware. 

It really doesn't matter what you do, it's just not going to be as good as having a control scheme written for the controller used by the majority of players on consoles. It's a waste of money and man hours, first you had to write and implement the damn thing (although it wouldn't surprise me if it was just the PC controller code macguyvered into it) and now you are going to have to spend numerous man hours trying to get it to the point where it resembles the functionality we had before, and that's before it actually gets to the stage where it might be considered an improvement. It's a waste of everyones time. 

There there are the accessibility issues. It's a lot easier for certain disabled people (restricted movement etc) to press bound-buttons rather than drag and drop, double click, basically a lot of the stuff that a mouse control scheme does contextually. This is a huge step backwards in that regard. 

Just roll it back or implement it so it can be turned off user-side. 

It keeps being mentioned that this is cool for pc players but us on console are being affected because of an upgrade for pc players. 

Let me reiterate for us pc controller players that had the first 5 pages. 

THIS IS HOT INSULTING GARBAGE FOR US TOO.  My pc might as well be a console thanks to big picture mode. This update made me uninstall and move on. It is nothing but terrible for us too. 

8 hours ago, (PS4)GlitchedOut_Skn said:

Again im not trying to throw hate on the new Controller UI changes its a great addition to the PC tenno that plays with a controller 

😞

It’s really not better for PC controller users - it’s full of exactly the same problems for us too (well, more at the moment, since we didn’t get the hotkeys back): slow, clumsier than a mouse, extra inputs needed for many actions. 

Edit: Omni-ninjad by Sawney, because I was too lazy to read to the end of the thread. 

Edited by Ham_Grenabe

I don't really understand the point of the cursor on PC either.

Someone who uses controller does not use MKB (except for typing in chat), and someone who uses MKB does not use controller. There is no reason at all to have "seamless transitioning" between the two modes. It's nice, but nobody was really asking for it.

It'd be far better if the virtual cursor was just scrapped rather than forcing it, although the best solution would be to turn it off if you want and go back to the old mode.

there really isn't one for a hybrid set up on PC in menu's unless you are not near the keyboard and mouse and like such a thing. as an option, fine, but i didn't ask to have no d-pad support at all, and to redo my controller binds just to have a second less effective mouse in menu's.

this whole thing still mystifies me. it actually made switching from m and k to controller and back less seemless than before in addition to removing the old controller style id use for general menu's, because if i have to interact in mission i have to hit my keyboard functions, and click the chat window now.

just... why was so little of old scheme not preserved in the change at all on PC, and in such a limited form on console? 

19 minutes ago, xZynetic said:

I don't really understand the point of the cursor on PC either.

Someone who uses controller does not use MKB (except for typing in chat), and someone who uses MKB does not use controller. There is no reason at all to have "seamless transitioning" between the two modes. It's nice, but nobody was really asking for it.

It'd be far better if the virtual cursor was just scrapped rather than forcing it, although the best solution would be to turn it off if you want and go back to the old mode.

I use both - controller for play, and usually MKB for menus. But occasionally, since the controller is in my hand still, I'll hit a button on the controller to confirm something, or to open the menus, or whatever, and that causes the entire UI to shift over to controller mode (eating the input in the process, and requiring me to confirm again). So with the new system, I have to put my controller down completely whenever I'm out of an actual mission, and use the mouse and keyboard.

This was not meant to be a pure "nuh-uh," though - for the most, I agree: people with an MKB hooked up are likely to use that for menu navigation.

There's no explicit recognition option for hybrid inputs, but I'm guessing their interest in making a complete interface for controllers, where you never have to use a mouse or keyboard, even on PC (remember Steve's frustration that controller players had to use a mouse for some things) means that was not in the cards. More's the pity. 

Edited by Ham_Grenabe

More UX feedback:

* When selecting the option key, focus should be immediately set to the list of menu options. Having to move a cursor to gain focus is annoying; there are no other choices really than profile and leave squad as actions under the players squad icon.

* When using the cursor on an item listing, have the cursor’s moving past the top or bottom of the list cause the list to scroll.

* alternate to some focus issues: establish clicking on a region as the means to change focus rather than auto focus based on moved cursor location. At least use “O” as a de focus.

note DE just hire a UX contractor the next time you fiddle UI. It would have probably saved some of your user base(’s good will).

Edited by (PS4)teacup775

There are still huge bugs and the chat UI is terrible! They have a lot of work to do but I have faith they will eventually fix it. Let's just hope it's sooner than later.

- Fix RIGHT stick being able to zoom nav. Stick drift for ALOT of people are making it impossible to select a mission. https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/8p9ppq/chat_ui_bugs_videos_sometimes_impossible_to_open/

Video for nav issue:

- fix the chat UI so we can use the right stick for the right list (user list) and the dpad for the left chat box (chat room), just makes sense, left side of controller for left side of chat, right side of controller for right side of the chat

- fix the chat UI so when using the DPAD to select things, when pressing X it wont select where the cursor is hanging
Video:

- fix the trade menu doing the same thing as the above video
video:

- fix not being able to scroll up without putting the cursor on the actual chat. i believe that if u reverse the dpad and right stick functionality this will be an easy fix for the chat.

Already had lots of players quit yesterday and today because of the UI. Trying to do damage control is an all day thing now because of this update. plz fix :)

Edited by (PS4)bauer5266
Added another fix for not being able to scroll up in chat without the cursor held on the chat

So I start up Warframe today to see if they've fixed the obvious issue of an embarrassing UI and I see changes reminiscent of how the UI looked before only with a cursor remaining. However despite this seeming reversion to it's original state of functionality the game itself seems to now suffer from the effects of this problematic and chaotic UI.

List of issues I have found following this post update 'fix':

- Inability to un-equip items, mods and weapons. - Any attempt to change load out features fails when attempting to select and then back out of customisation menus.

- Glitchy character animations (when attempting to change items/ warframes, the model glitches, flicked and the pink infested cyst on the neck of warframes appears and disappears.

- Inability to rotate character models. - Often when attempting to customise loadouts/ characters the ability to rotate the character model fails making it impossible to rotate the model in any way. This issue is most noticeable on the Operator customisation menu.

- When opening the alerts menu in the star chart navigation console, any movement from the right analog stick (scrolling function) closes the menu.

- (Although may not be a bug, but still an issue) Item selection closes menus. When equipping a item the submenu containing the selectable items closes.

- Jittery Cursor - Whilst transitioning between various menus, the cursor is often 'jumping' positions on the screen. By not remaining still the cursor (after selecting a menu item) can then appear in any number of places on the screen, away from it's original position. (Please note: When considering analog sticks may have been pressed when witnessing this, the same issue happens when they are left alone.)

- Inability for cursor to differentiate between main pause menu and matchmaking sub menu. - When having the pause menu open, pressing why to open the matchmaking submenu overlaps the squad tabs. When attempting to select a matchmaking option, the cursor does not differentiate selections between each menu. e.g. Whilst in a squad, should the host attempt to change their matchmaking setting the cursor not only selects the matchmaking option they click on, but also the 'Leave Squad' or 'Mute" option as well.

- Cursor tab selection difficulties. - When attempting to select items in the squad menu such as the 'Show Gamercard' or 'Show Profile' tabs, the cursor can prove difficult to place on the intended tab, with the spacing between each  'hit box' of the tabs being too small to allow the cursor to easily pick up exactly which tab the play is trying to select. Even when operating the cursor at it's smallest size with it's lowest sensitivity, the difficulty to select and differentiate between selections still proves chaotic. 

The game and the UI is now more broken than ever and no number of hot fixes can make this new system work well. Functional perhaps, but never well enough to be enjoyable. By having an interface that has been designed around a different kind of user interaction entirely, it will fundamentally prove counter-intuitive and unbeneficial to the users who operate on console with the use of controllers.

When trying to use the chat and navigate through the names when you click someones name and look through the options using dpad and not move the cursor resulting in closing tabs when you want to invite very frustrating when your trying to sell your sets and you think you've sent an invite but instead you've lost up to thousands of platinum if theyvdont reply back

I don't think you need to get rid of new UI but DE you need to fix the issues. I love you guys and warframe but a lot of the issues is making want to stop playing. Mainly how I can't rotate my sentinels and operator. Also when the trade chat bugs out so I can't do anything a till I log out and then deal I wanted is gone.

Hey, I'll be uploading a full review/feedback post later. for now 2 things

Don't get rid of the cursor, maybe make it optional. It is better, superior....it just needs tweaks.

Second...To unequip weapons/syandanas etc click "NONE" the move cursor down to the bottom right of the screen and hover over "Equip" then CLICK "Equip". (this obviously needs fixing).

It’s not just that I dislike the new changes as they make everything slower and clunkier to manage. It’s that this has also shipped with a number of bugs and systems that seem to be broken now as a result of trying to accomodate this sluggish method of navigation.

That and I’ve missed relic rewards because I didn’t maneuver my cursor properly. In any console game when you are presented with a list of any kind, you automatically go for the d-pad or click your analog left and right assuming it’ll jump between options automatically. The fact that Warframe no longer does makes it seem artificially and pointlessly difficult.

New cursor stuff and all the concessions that have had to be made around it are in no way intuitive. I realize I’ve been using the old UI for years now so I can’t properly say how easy to pick up it’d be for someone fresh, but when things like the buttons to rotate your frame change depending on what menu you’re in, that doesn’t make any logical sense.  

And the removal of the colored buttons is an incredibly uneccesary step backwards in my opinion. It’s more of an acessibility thing. I can read the buttons, but with the colors I never had to.

I think the best course forward is to revert and release it alongside the whole UI overhaul, so people can have a more informed opinion on it. Then if cursor still gets shot down just make it optional or remove it.

I've always bought stuff on Warframe because it's free and a great game has to get funds that being said right now I can not support this new ui as it makes me not want to play rather than deal with it I have boosters that will prolly run out before I get back on really sucks but it was such an unnecessary change it's puzzling that someone thought this would be good the cursor needs to be an option hope you guys figure this out before you lose a good chunk of your player base

I'm usually not one to complain on forums but these ps4 cursor changes just feel horrible.

two stick menu control, d-pad doesn's scroll to next page, huge cursor in the middle of my mod text boxes (esp. bad when scrolling though syndicate mods as its so easy to move to the surrounding mods.), having to move the cursor from one side of the screen to the other to spin your warframe around when fashion-framing, having to screw around with cursor setting because the damn thing is either too fast or two slow(fast cursor wouldn't be too bad if things like the leave party wasn't so small), fumbling around with relic rewards feels bad especially on a timer

And all that is just from one afternoons play session.

Even if those were all fixed it just feels slippery and gross overall. I was thrown through such a loop I accidentally purchased a viper with plat instead of grabbing the blueprint. Console UI's need to be tight and responsive. Doubly so in games that involve a lot of long term grind materials/blueprints and micro-transaction currency that you don't want to risk to a miss click.

I'm a newer player so I don't know how much the game has evolved over the years but this feels like a janky beta UI.

Great game otherwise and thank you for making it but please and least give us a check box to revert back if we want to.

I like being able to pull in and out of the map xD

That aside the UI is terrible for those with controllers.. I used to use the D pad to move up and down the menu quickly. Now the D pad moves the cursor down only to where the boarders of the screen are and no further.. it will just sit there. I must then use the R analog to move the screen down to access it.. at this point I'm already selecting it with both analogs. It feels as if these controls were for a mouse with the roller wheel for scrolling up and down screens quickly.

Makes drone selection kind of a fumbling nightmare which used to be such a split second process xD

Edited by (PS4)DicedSevens

My husband quit playing because of this atrocity. I wanted to play this game with him. Fix this mistake already. We know you're humans, people make mistakes just roll this crap back and all will be forgiven. 
 People want to love this game, this control set up just won't let us. 😞

(edited for grammar, I'm human too.)

Edited by CheekiestBreekiestNinja