Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Update 22.2.0] Saryn Revisted 2.0 Feedback MEGATHREAD

[DE]Danielle

19 minutes ago, Latiac said:

but is now incredibly lackluster at higher tiered content due to the current Spore mechanics

Am finding a significantly faster melee time to kill 8 live and firing lvl 150 Corrupted Heavy Gunners in the simulacrum with new Saryn casting Spore and Miasma only one time apiece than Rhino, Ember, Gara, Volt, Banshee, Nekros or Inaros, my go-to melee frames. Around 5 seconds currently and need much more timing practice. Could get it lower with practice. This is also moving faster than any of those frames and drawing lots of aggro onto spammed Regenerative Molt at the same time.

Using Zenurik (allows perma channeling), Arcane Strike and Guardian, Fast staff (ooltha) zaw CO/Life Strike/Dispatch Overdrive build with a QOL riven (range/attck speed/channeling efficiency) as opposed to a damage riven, Exodia Triumph, tanky 130 power str Saryn build. Starting with 0 combo multiplier.

Now of course, this is melee, YMMV with ranged. Also more live mission testing needed.

Edited by Buttaface

27 minutes ago, EinheriarJudith said:

spore mechanic is definitely bugged experienced on 2 occasions it getting stuck at 15 and locked.

I got stuck on 13. Probably from double-tapping the button on accident, and detonating before the spore is really "on" an enemy. I feel like the initial spores cast needs to be a small AoE now, so you don't have to spam until it decides something is targeted, and to avoid wasting your cast if the enemy gets killed immediately.

Spores spread very poorly.  More energy used than usual because Spores far more commonly fall off, even in ideal situations with many clustered enemies and more constantly filtering in.  Can pretty much confirm spreading is respecting line of sight, which basically ruins the ability.  Add on top of that Spores also not spreading if you're not getting the kill yourself (I think this is applying to kills taken by sentinels too, but will have to test) and Spores is almost a dead ability, to me.

I also don't ever really want to detonate Spores.  Like, ever?  I'd prefer it if they just continued on, like, in every single possible situation.  Not just for energy conservation purposes, but for keeping that stacking damage rolling for as long as possible.  That will definitely become a kind of mini-game for me, of trying to get that number as high as possible - assuming Spores gets a whole lot of fixes out of the bin of disappointment it's currently resting in, anyway.

Man, I don't know if it's a bug or if it's intended, but I'm having a lot of issues with Spores now.

The number one issue is no matter how I build, I can't get them to spread very well. No matter how I move the stats around, it seems to stay on 3 on cast and 1 on spread, which isn't very great. I've tried maxing every stat just to change it, but it won't budge.

Next it seems that no matter how much range I pump into her, I can't seem to get the spores to spread very far. With 200%+ range, they still seem to only spread to enemies that are practically touching each other, which is a problem. I usually play melee Saryn, and like the ability to blow the spores up with my 1 instead of my 4 all the time, but seeing as it only spreads to enemies that are right next to me, it's faster to just melee them, then I have to recast the ability since it doesn't spread to anything that's not already in melee range. 

I'm hoping this isn't intended, as right now she's not very great. I like the QOL changes she has, like spores dealing corrosive, but it's all pointless if I can't even spread them. Please fix this.

1 hour ago, [DE]Danielle said:

Hey! We added a developer note in the Dev Workshop at the beginning of the week about this 🙂

Hey! When you say "locked" what do you mean? As in the ability is no longer able to be cast? Thanks for the details! 

yes it gets locked,only way to unlock is to die,surely a bug.

I really just want to say that it, for me at least, is hard to make out Sayrns' new 'voice'. Personally, i was expecting a more human sound along the lines of Valkyr, but it turns out to be just creepy hissing that would possibly get drowned out by other sounds.

I quite enjoy the changes,to be honest.The 3rd ability is finally useful in my eyes,the new sounds are amazing and overall,she steal packs quite the punch to the endless hordes of grineer...

I didn't play her all that often before,I still doubt I will,not because she isn't a really powerful frame with rather intriguing capabilities,no,rather because simply,she isn't my cup of coffee.

I must play with her further tomorrow so that I may actually give constructive feedback but my initial impressions are good,run few waves of hydron followed by about 20 mins of simulacrum "experiments".I don't know if before she was *better* but I like her now,I liked her before,I like her now-She's good,now,even better(?)

The speed change is really annoying.  Spazzy Saryn is very weird skittering around, and it's just awful switching speeds back and forth.

The "# Infected" is difficult to read in action.  Would be better as "DMG x INF", with DMG being spore damage in its circle, and INF being the number of enemies infected.

I dislike taking away the melee energy regen from lash.  Pointless de-featuring from an incredibly boring ability.  Why even have Lash?  It's basically just a passive we have to remember to re-trigger now.

Spores stay out in Onslaught after the portal transition, forcing you to immediately waste your starting mana just to clear them. I guess you didn't test her in Onslaught even once.

Overall, the new dumbed-down Saryn is exactly that.  Boring and lacking for what used to be an interesting frame with fun subtleties.  I hate seeing games dumb things down, so I find this rework extremely concerning.  I know this is just what it's going to be now, so I have limited specific feedback.

Spores feels really good, though I get the feeling that the no longer pop from "everything" anymore, as Cornith Air Bursts don't have nearly the same spread effect as before unless I have Lash up.

Spreading itself feels fine, I suspect some of the complainers are having to learn how to Spore without Molt for the first time (though I won't discount the possibility of a bug or two) or still coping with having spores actually kill things on its own pass level 30 (i,e, everything dying at once without anything nearby still alive). It ABSOLUTELY spreads through walls though, I've been able to get to 2k+ damage in several Onslaught rooms full of corridors and multiple levels, which I know would not be possible if walls were a factor,

If I had one QoL change, it would be making destroying old spores and recasting spores be a single action (as long as you are targeting something, otherwise recast just destroys spores), not something that requires two casts.

Edited by Foefaller

First impressions from elite onslaught is that new style engages active gameplay and it's rewarding to do so.

Also infinite scaling seems to balance itself out. Enemies start dying so fast that you are unable to spread anymore spores from them, which is fine in my opinion, again makes you active instead sitting in one spot. Go find next group the get the spores rolling and so on.

Overall I really like this rework. Last time I enjoyed this much Saryn was in 9.6. 🙂

ujwisaZ.jpg

32 minutes ago, Koed said:

Hehe, well, I activate Toxic Lash, put spore on 1 guy and fully charge my gas Prisma Angstrum. Now 8 Heavy Gunners are basically dead. Might use Glaive prime on next group (using explode build with power throw and quick return - same result). Rinse and repeat 🙂

could you share both builds im interested.

so far idk what to think of it.

Been playing saryn as my primary frame since she was added to the game so like to think i have a good idea of how to play her. figured i'd get that out of the way first before i talked about each ability as they stand post re-nerf

Current changes - opinion

1. Spore - without the ability to recast and without the ability to use the molt combo to allow for safe spore spreading this ability feels like complete garbage. it is in no way comparable to what it was and the loss of her primary DoT makes the DoT-focused frame feel wildly weaker

2. Molt - the change really doesn't do much here, but molt was fine as is so thats okay, minus the loss of the ability to cast spore on it, which is again a huge nerf and ruins the flow of the character.

3. Toxic lash - this move has always been out of place in saryns kit. that hasn't changed, and nothing that was done to this move makes it feel any more useful than it ever was, which is to say i usually only hit 3 by accident. heck, i'd trade this move out, literally just have only 1,2,4 if it meant getting my old saryn kit back right now.

4. Miasma - the inability to recast the stunning part of this move ruins it. i used miasma more to keep myself alive than to kill my enemies because despite her tankier stats the enemy scaling means saryn may as well be made of cardboard in high level play. no reoccurring stun = dead saryn

this whole slew of nerfs has done nothing but make the character less fun, less able to be useful and overall just a massive disappointment especially to someone who has played her for almost 3-4 years.

the new sound effects are kinda cool.

Suggestions on how to fix the flaming garbage dump that her kit feels like right now.

1. Spore - option 1 - make casting spore cause 3-5 spores to appear on the target and/or nearby targets, increase spread rate and range. make detonate spread spores. give back spore on molt

- option 2 - as above but make detonate occur on hold of button and recast available

2. molt - give back castable spore, side note if you want to increase tank, allow saryn to get a small invulnerability  period where she absorbs damage to feed the molt as well

3.toxic lash - make an ability that actually helps her instead. like at all, this ability is bad and usefulness.

4. miasma - stun duration increase for recasting, that is all.

final note -  i apologize if i seem angry, i am honestly quite bothered with my favorite part of this game being turned into what feels like a completely unusable character.

So, I really like the rework.
I'm having way more fun with her now.
There are still some minor things, but I think the way she is going is really good.

My biggest issue right now is that recasting Spores causes detonation. I would like to see the option to tap for a reapplication and hold for detonation. Something like that would probably work better. Spreading the Spores is a little weird now and will take some getting used to. I've found myself attempting to spread them by recasting the ability, only to remember that it detonates the existing ones. Sometimes this is fine, sometimes I wish it didn't. Just something for you guys to consider.

That's my biggest issue. I think the spread range and damage is fine, but occasionally it is difficult to spread them around quickly and keep them up. 

Not feeback, but an idea that came to me while I was testing the changes in Onslaught:

Make toxin gas clouds from melee strikes heal her and cleanse her of status effects, much like Nidus can heal himself. These effects can be applied to allies as well. This would go very well with the upcoming melee rework. The percentage amount it heals her and allies are up for discussion, but let's say 50 health over 5 seconds. Can stack (or not) with Physique. This would make her a better support frame and help her along the way to Nidus survivability and greatly increase her usefulness to the group apart from simple killing. Running through multiple clouds will not stack, but simply refresh the healing timer, or they can stack to a specified limit while refreshing the timer. The stronger the enemy, the greater the healing amount - bombard melee take downs should heal in greater amounts than scorpions or butchers.

Edited by Mach25

2 minutes ago, Oblitum said:

Been playing saryn as my primary frame since she was added to the game so like to think i have a good idea of how to play her. figured i'd get that out of the way first before i talked about each ability as they stand post re-nerf

Current changes - opinion

1. Spore - without the ability to recast and without the ability to use the molt combo to allow for safe spore spreading this ability feels like complete garbage. it is in no way comparable to what it was and the loss of her primary DoT makes the DoT-focused frame feel wildly weaker

2. Molt - the change really doesn't do much here, but molt was fine as is so thats okay, minus the loss of the ability to cast spore on it, which is again a huge nerf and ruins the flow of the character.

the point is not hiding behind corners, but use molt to cover for you while you run around and spread spore,
the infinite scaling makes it really cool, i even managed to get up to 5k per tick:
3F713B5DA10E69A734FB604C83800145E4C20E4F

1st impression: Jupiter Dark sector defense.

Spore barely spread. 175% range used. Like not at all. Dont seem to spread when enemies die. Not enough range or bug? Is this supposed to work only on higher levels?

Venom Dose doesn't work? Cant cast spore on teammates.

Edited by catastrophy

So far I am liking the new Saryn. The molt mobility feature is fantastic and caters well to a melee style of play. I tested her out on regular plains missions and well she is kind of meh, but at high level 155 Bombars, 20 of them for giggles, she is a monster. Cast toxic lash, use her augment, cast molt for distraction and speed boost, hit the spore to spread the suckers, then use your miasma to half their health. Hit everything else with a Viral Rad Ignis and look out. It is pure death and carnage. I will agree the spores do not spread as well as they used to.

4 minutes ago, catastrophy said:

1st impression: Jupiter Dark sector defense.

Spore barely spread. 175% range used. Like not at all. Dont seem to spread when enemies die. Not enough range or bug? Is this supposed to work only on higher levels?

Venom Dose doesn't work? Cant cast spore on teammates.

they spread when you actively pop them, or someone is going around massacring them for you