Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Controller Change It Back!

StarFox900

Simply the old controller interface system was better by far it was fast and easy.

This new system they have made forces you to use the right stick as mouse to open everything up (no more D Pad or quick access to Equip Upgrade with a button)

As someone who uses a controller I use it so I don't have to use a mouse and go all over the screen to click something. If I wanted to use a Cursor I'd use a mouse but now as it is were having to use are controller as a mouse to navigate everywhere in the UI system 

Games used to be like this on consoles when they was pc based and didn't have proper controller support its like DE have gone backwards with there UI system

I know have to use my mouse and keyboard to use most things before the change I used my keyboard to type that was it simple 

So please everyone +1 this so we can get it changed back or give us the option to have it both ways 

Haven't played the new controller setups, but I still don't get why DE just doesn't port the perfectly functionnal PS4 controls to PC... I mean, it works essentially great for nearly everything... Yet PC has been stuck juggling between keyboard , mouse and controller for years.

I'm all for all platforms getting proper controller support, but sometimes you just need to use what's working already instead of changing everything for every platform.

18 minutes ago, StarFox900 said:

or give us the option to have it both ways 

The entire point of the change was to unify the UIX. UI is getting reworked to be more intuitive, you'll probably just need to get used to it and see how the UIX works with the new UI.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Stealth_Cobra said:

Haven't played the new controller setups, but I still don't get why DE just doesn't port the perfectly functionnal PS4 controls to PC... I mean, it works essentially great for nearly everything... Yet PC has been stuck juggling between keyboard , mouse and controller for years.

I'm all for all platforms getting proper controller support, but sometimes you just need to use what's working already instead of changing everything for every platform.

Pretty sure this change is coming your way too 😉

Edited by MillbrookWest

No one will be happy seeing as with a controller we was able to navigate using the D pad which no longer fucations and is useless. And being able to access things fast it's just backwards what there doing now.

I tell you now no controller user wants there controller to be a mouse that's not the point of a controller at all 

And if and when the console players get this crap they will be in for a shock and there will be loads of players asking to get to change it back.

They didn't need to take away D pad controllers at all and the quick access buttons that we had it's what made using a controller easy now it's hard 

Edited by StarFox900

49 minutes ago, StarFox900 said:

No one will be happy seeing as with a controller we was able to navigate using the D pad which no longer fucations and is useless. And being able to access things fast it's just backwards what there doing now.

I tell you now no controller user wants there controller to be a mouse that's not the point of a controller at all 

And if and when the console players get this crap they will be in for a shock and there will be loads of players asking to get to change it back.

They didn't need to take away D pad controllers at all and the quick access buttons that we had it's what made using a controller easy now it's hard 

Console players are already used to games using this control scheme - It's what Destiny uses too.

Additionally, for as far back as i can remember, a popular point of contention for PC players with controllers was the fact that they needed to switch to m/k. The old iteration had no way for them to switch between certain UI elements, forcing them to switch back to m/k to choose the correct element, then switch back to gamepad. Your only point of contention (in so far as i can see) is that you dislike the similarities to it being a m/k.

The new UIX allows users to select every element with a controller, and the UI is being redone to better facilitate this new design direction.

Well so far all I'm seeing on the forums is people complaining about it and the only thing I hate is the fact they took things away that were good 

As I stated the ability to use the D Pad to navigate was better than the cursor and the ability to use quick buttons to open up the Equipment and upgrade parts was much better that's all gone now we're having to waste time moving a mouse cursor all over the dam place 

And most console games don't use a cursor at all and you can't just list one game and say loads have it as they don't 

11 minutes ago, StarFox900 said:

And most console games don't use a cursor at all and you can't just list one game and say loads have it as they don't 

You made up a lot of words that were never mentioned here. Probably best to re-read what was actually said...

As i said though, the new iteration has no functionality issues. You can stay using the controller exclusively. The previous iteration did have functionality issues. For example, here's a warframe partner switching to m/k to get things done, but the guy plays with a controller exclusively:

the old

20 minutes ago, MillbrookWest said:

You made up a lot of words that were never mentioned here. Probably best to re-read what was actually said...

As i said though, the new iteration has no functionality issues. You can stay using the controller exclusively. The previous iteration did have functionality issues. For example, here's a warframe partner switching to m/k to get things done, but the guy plays with a controller exclusively:

The old controller UI is the best m/k is so unbelievably slow its mind numbing. You cant post a video with a guy using an Xbox controller on PC and call it proof. The Steam controller is the best option for PC gaming... Well until now sense DE has ruined controller support again!! Elitist m/k users don't know what they are missing unless they just don't know how to set a controller up.. In that case youtube is your friend;)

35 minutes ago, MillbrookWest said:

Sorry man, all the problems this guy mentions are solved by rebinding, such as rebinding melee to the b/o button or the power list to the face buttons while being modified with the RB.

Also, there actually really are functionality issues with this change.  The function of LB/RB has shut of on me while in Navigation and Upgrade screens.  I'll also include the reduced ease of selecting specific modes as a loss of functionality.  Such as when talking to simaris to access SO, it's far easier to accidentally select ESO due to how close together the two small boxes are.  Yes the previous iteration had functionality issues but not pretty obvious and basic interface ones like we have now.

It's pretty false to claim there aren't functionality issues right now.  You have used a controller, right?  If you have, I'm just not sure how you could write what you did. 

Edited by robbybe01234
a single comma.

8 minutes ago, robbybe01234 said:

It's pretty false to claim there aren't functionality issues right now.  You have used a controller, right?  If you have, I'm just not sure how you could write what you did. 

Much like the OP, i'd suggest going back and re-reading the post being quoted... a lot of words being made up out of no where.

Video merely shows a more prominent user switch to m/k using the old system when heavy use of the UI is required. End of... 

Never said there weren't issues or any other hyperbolic statement other than UIX has been unified, and a UI rework is in the works for it.

23 minutes ago, MillbrookWest said:

Much like the OP, i'd suggest going back and re-reading the post being quoted... a lot of words being made up out of no where.

Video merely shows a more prominent user switch to m/k using the old system when heavy use of the UI is required. End of... 

Never said there weren't issues or any other hyperbolic statement other than UIX has been unified, and a UI rework is in the works for it.

I reread the op post that you quoted, that I quoted.  People are complaining, using the dpad was more efficient and elements tied to the face buttons were snappier. 

I do remember the decoration screen being a hassle with the most recent UI system.  But that was the only thing for me.

Also, it doesn't make sense to me to be okay with half a UI system.  It makes identifying bugs and giving feedback pointless.  And can be argued to be worse than just implementing the more buggy but complete system.

Edited by robbybe01234
grammar

11 minutes ago, robbybe01234 said:

Also, it doesn't make sense to me to be okay with half a UI system.  It makes identifying bugs and giving feedback pointless.  And can be argued to be worse than just implementing the more buggy but complete system.

That tends to be DE's thing though: If it's done, ship it.

According to Steve on Twitter, UI work should start rolling out sometime before Tennocon in june.

11 minutes ago, robbybe01234 said:

I reread the op post that you quoted, that I quoted.  People are complaining, using the dpad was more efficient and elements tied to the face buttons were snappier.

From what Steve has posted on his twitter, it looks like there is going to be less menu thrashing to get info in the new UI - how effective it is remains to be seen.

Things like this image below are going to pop out when you hover over something (in this case a banshee apparently):

Dcu-Ky3VAAIjw2Z.jpg:large

Conceivably, the RMB image in this image, will be mapped to a bumper in a controller. So on controller, it's no longer 'button presses', but just a single bumper press to get to info.

Edited by MillbrookWest

@MillbrookWest the video is over a year old. With update 22.19 DE gave us FULL controller support, with button prompts for Xbox/PS4, you could choose what you wanted in the options menu. The video that you show is when there was only a partial support, no button prompts, limited functionality etc. For the last month or 2, we had 99% perfectly fine controller support. Felt and looked like any other game on the market with full native gamepad support. If you would watch a video on youtube of someone you could not tell the difference it its console footage or a guy playing on PC with a gamepad. Everything was quick, intuitive, rebindable etc. Now they indroduced the new interface that feels like some XPadder controller emulation, where the is NO controller support, you just emulate a mouse with the thumbstick. It is awful. Why did they do it i have no idea. Baffling.

D-pad navigation is going to come with the new UI, so just wait for it to launch. The release of the cursor was to fix bugs before the UI hits.

35 minutes ago, ARKANOiiDe said:

@MillbrookWest the video is over a year old. With update 22.19 DE gave us FULL controller support, with button prompts for Xbox/PS4, you could choose what you wanted in the options menu. The video that you show is when there was only a partial support, no button prompts, limited functionality etc. For the last month or 2, we had 99% perfectly fine controller support. Felt and looked like any other game on the market with full native gamepad support. If you would watch a video on youtube of someone you could not tell the difference it its console footage or a guy playing on PC with a gamepad. Everything was quick, intuitive, rebindable etc. Now they indroduced the new interface that feels like some XPadder controller emulation, where the is NO controller support, you just emulate a mouse with the thumbstick. It is awful. Why did they do it i have no idea. Baffling.

Because they want to unify the control schemes into one singular system, which saves a LOT of time with making the builds so console can get their updates faster. D-pad support is coming back with the UI update.

I agree so far they have dropped a new controller update that doesn't work or isn't really meant for this UI and it's going to be for the new UI they should of just left it till they shipped that 

Instead they have made it anoeying for players to navigate I don't ever want to touch my mouse in game but for now it looks like I'll have to 

I wish there was a option to change the "controller mouse cursor" off.
Like, I don't want it to be fully removed because maybe some people like it but having the option to turn it off would be nice.
My controller joysticks are S#&$ty, so when I use the new controller cursor it's just so slow and frustrating. It's a lot faster to have the quick menu buttons. 

So yeah, would like the option to turn it off.

10 hours ago, StarFox900 said:

Simply the old controller interface system was better by far it was fast and easy.

This new system they have made forces you to use the right stick as mouse to open everything up (no more D Pad or quick access to Equip Upgrade with a button)

As someone who uses a controller I use it so I don't have to use a mouse and go all over the screen to click something. If I wanted to use a Cursor I'd use a mouse but now as it is were having to use are controller as a mouse to navigate everywhere in the UI system 

Games used to be like this on consoles when they was pc based and didn't have proper controller support its like DE have gone backwards with there UI system

I know have to use my mouse and keyboard to use most things before the change I used my keyboard to type that was it simple 

So please everyone +1 this so we can get it changed back or give us the option to have it both ways 

Let me begin by first saying thank you DE for supporting controllers. I understand that these changes were made for people who wanted to use the controller for 99.9% of the game's interface. However, for people like me who use the mouse and keyboard for UI navigation/chat and the controller for game play, the old system was better. For example, I am having a lot of difficulty trying to chat in game. Before, you just pressed T then typed what you needed, then pressed enter. Now you have to press T, then press X on the controller, then type, then press X on the controller. Try that when dodging bullets! The interface before the update was a perfect blend of controller and KB+M.

The new system isn't too bad, but it's far too slow. Not in term of cursor speed (although it's really annoying to see how slow it can be when you are passing on mods or trying to grab and equip one), but usage speed. Like OP said, the D pad was way faster and very simple (3 clicks for this, 5 for that, etc. vs wait for it, wai- ok I'm on it, click). I mainly use my mouse when navigating, but when my D pad was able to do the job (ex: mods, pause menu, arsenal) in a more simple way, it was my first choice. 

The first thing I noticed was that I couldn't use my usual shortcuts in the arsenal (I'm using a PS3 controller and square was my shortcut for customization, triangle was my shortcut for Upgrades/mods and X was my equipment selection). Now I'm forced to use the cursor and click on the tiny icons instead of simply pressing a button. It's very annoying when you have to mod your stuff quickly or change frame/weapons/etc., like if your team is waiting for you (or not, which is simply worst), if the mission you need to change gear for is disappearing in 40sec, etc. 

The second thing and the most annoyig might not even be related to this, but it was still extremely frustrating. I'm talking about pressing T to open the chat, but then have to click on the blank space before typing. What the actual Hel is that? It was auto ever since I started playing 3 years ago, and now I have to manualy click there with my mouse to type (because if I do it with my controller, it opens an additionnal chat line to type that blocks the view). Those seconds I'll spend just to be able to START typing might put me in danger as I will be standing still for almost twice the time.

Standing still = vunerable/not killing stuff/not helping the team 

Tbh, I prefer the previous settings. Fast and simple. Maybe not universal, but at least it was god at something. Now it feels like Oberon's old kit. Can do everything, but good for nothing. 

26 minutes ago, Blade_Wolf_16 said:

The new system isn't too bad, but it's far too slow. Not in term of cursor speed (although it's really annoying to see how slow it can be when you are passing on mods or trying to grab and equip one), but usage speed. Like OP said, the D pad was way faster and very simple (3 clicks for this, 5 for that, etc. vs wait for it, wai- ok I'm on it, click). I mainly use my mouse when navigating, but when my D pad was able to do the job (ex: mods, pause menu, arsenal) in a more simple way, it was my first choice. 

The first thing I noticed was that I couldn't use my usual shortcuts in the arsenal (I'm using a PS3 controller and square was my shortcut for customization, triangle was my shortcut for Upgrades/mods and X was my equipment selection). Now I'm forced to use the cursor and click on the tiny icons instead of simply pressing a button. It's very annoying when you have to mod your stuff quickly or change frame/weapons/etc., like if your team is waiting for you (or not, which is simply worst), if the mission you need to change gear for is disappearing in 40sec, etc. 

The second thing and the most annoyig might not even be related to this, but it was still extremely frustrating. I'm talking about pressing T to open the chat, but then have to click on the blank space before typing. What the actual Hel is that? It was auto ever since I started playing 3 years ago, and now I have to manualy click there with my mouse to type (because if I do it with my controller, it opens an additionnal chat line to type that blocks the view). Those seconds I'll spend just to be able to START typing might put me in danger as I will be standing still for almost twice the time.

Standing still = vunerable/not killing stuff/not helping the team 

Tbh, I prefer the previous settings. Fast and simple. Maybe not universal, but at least it was god at something. Now it feels like Oberon's old kit. Can do everything, but good for nothing. 

I agree except it was way more universal before its like they only want you to use m/k now sooooo fix it DE

i tried getting a friend back into warframe, but his controller keybindings werent correct to what we play with . since we could not get to the way we used to play the game, he is unable to use a controller and effectively play the game... this new system feels like i am being raped - this is terrible and ruins the game for me. please as someone who has played 1750+ hours on this game, let me customize the controller how i like. i cannot express the disappointment and sorrow i now have due to the new controller system. please help

I don't use a controller unless I'm playing with my girlfriend in the living room via Steam Link with her using her laptop and a controller. Otherwise I sit at my desk and use my mouse and keyboard. The newest update has made using a controller functionally useless. It's so much more of a hassle than it needs to be that I just can't be bothered. She is a very casual gamer and was able to play the game okay before. The newest controller bindings have her frustrated to the point that she doesn't want to play.

One should never, EVER, force a player to use emulated mouse movements in a UI with a thumbstick. The only reason anyone can really play a shooter on a controller in the first place is because of aim assist and other little tweaks like acceleration. Those things aren't really applicable with the UI cursor. This new method is slower, clumsier, and more likely to cause frustration.

For the record, I'm not a mouse and keyboard elitist guy. I am fully able to switch back and forth between input methods with little, if any, loss in effectiveness. I do see the post stating that this is temporary. Frankly, I don't see why temporary things like this need to happen in a 5 year old game, but it is what it is. I'm just throwing my two cents in just case there is any question at DE about whether this was a move in the right direction. It was not.

Welp, i just lost a couple friends that i invited to the game because they started to play on controller and new scheme is clunky and slow. Please give us an option to revert it back!