Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wisps aren't fun

Drasiel

Farming wisps is boring and makes me want to punch myself in the face as that would be more enjoyable. 

Things I hate about wisps:

- easier to see in the day but harder to find

-easier to find at night requires skipping eidolon runs

- too low quantity from bounties compared to map exploring 

- too inconsistent drops from bounties compared to map exploring

- wisps from onko too expensive 

- wisps from onko standing limit severely limits purchase. 

- wisps ignore vaccum meaning drive by pickups are harder often requiring slow down upon wisp spotting

- very large amounts required for Blue prints (15 -20 per piece)

- required for gilding

But the biggest complaint about wisps is an issue core to their existence. Warframe is a shooty, magic using, mobility game. Farming wisps includes none of that. Farming wisps is a track and field simulator. Run around all the puddles kids and make sure to pass all the checkpoints. It's not engaging, it's not fun, and looking at the required 55 wisps for the amp I want to build makes me feel sick. I hate this so much I wish I could just buy them instead of be forced to run yet another lap around plain's ponds. Even a booster doesn't make this palatable I still have to run the same path just a few runs less. 

Please consider making bounty wisp rewards larger. Decreasing the cost of wisps from onko, or severely reducing the amount of required wisps in blueprints. 

8 minutes ago, Drasiel said:

But the biggest complaint about wisps is an issue core to their existence. Warframe is a shooty, magic using, mobility game. Farming wisps includes none of that.

Plains of Eidolon in a nutshell.

Just buy them from the Quills if you're that bored. In my eyes, 10k are not too much.
Takes longer but you can farm Eidolons and get your wisps slower but without "burnout".
Also since Eidolons are always at night, you'll stumble across some of them occasionally.

Edited by DarkRuler2500

5 hours ago, DarkRuler2500 said:

Just buy them from the Quills if you're that bored. In my eyes, 10k are not too much.
Takes longer but you can farm Eidolons and get your wisps slower but without "burnout".
Also since Eidolons are always at night, you'll stumble across some of them occasionally.

I actually can't play eidolons without being hard carried by other players. The glut of effects and flashing lights trigger sensitivity syndrome and panic attacks. 

It's also worth noting that once you start buying wisps from onko due to the 25k standing cap per day at max level you can only buy 2 per day with an extra wisp every second day, which means about a month to build a single amp. Before anyone says you don't need to build amps if you can't fight eidolons, yes you do because amp prisms give mastery. 

Can't wait for the, "I get xx amount when I do it. There's nothing wrong with the wisp farm part of the game, this is what it's supposed to be like..." comments.

It shouldn't require the effort that it currently does, in my opinion. Lower the cost to purchase, increase daily standing for Cetus, or make them more predictable to map in the plains. Any of these would do fine.

what ? there are ppl who " try farm " those?.. im just get all what needed for max and get all doing bountys. just keep doing bounty without focus on get a determinate items,, when u notice u got alot of all what want.

2 minutes ago, davej83 said:

what ? there are ppl who " try farm " those?.. im just get all what needed for max and get all doing bountys. just keep doing bounty without focus on get a determinate items,, when u notice u got alot of all what want.

Not everyone shares your fortune in rng. It's a precious resource that has a steep cost in crafting and many items require it.

There needs to be a reliable way of acquiring them from regular gameplay that doesn't rely on rng or they need to lower costs. 

6 minutes ago, (PS4)BOSS_TPH76 said:

Wisps at the current drop rate and the current  resource requirement are literally having your players run around in circles to advance. It is time gating at its worst. 

Exactly. I feel like I'm spinning on a stationary bike for progress with these.

9 hours ago, DarkRuler2500 said:

Due to standing caps that's 2.5 wisps per day... some of the Arcane Sets take 100 wisps. You'd be looking at over a month of slowly buying wisps to get there.  Now nearly as efficient as just walking out the plains door... 10k is way too much to be worthwhile.

Edited by (PS4)lagrue

4 hours ago, Altre said:

Can't wait for the, "I get xx amount when I do it. There's nothing wrong with the wisp farm part of the game, this is what it's supposed to be like..." comments.

Yeah because it's a fact, and the whiners come here and whine instead of spending the -trivial- amount of time necessary to do the absurdly easy wisp farm side game correctly.

Without engaging more than a few brain cells: 1. Wait to get a resource booster on login (or for Baro to bring it and buy with ducats, or GOD FORBID spend a princely 40p and support the game). 2. Run Loki (or hell any frame with runspeed mods on) around the big Eastern lake of POE picking up wisps. 3. Return to the gate with 4 wisps average at night, 2 in the day. 4. Leave Cetus to Orbiter. 5. Reenter POE and do the run again. Elapsed time for one run? 2 minutes, maybe less. 6. Have all the wisps you need. Is this the -best- way? No, nowhere close, it's the braindead, easy, 6 year old can do it way. But apparently judging by the number of wisp threads this forum spawns, some folks need help with this "massive undertaking" at the most -ahem- "elementary" levels.

And yeah, I -just- finished 3 day resource and drop chance boosters. I did mining during the runs, and made the 80p back (and more) in TEN MINUTES selling Radian Sentirum in trade chat. Have made 90% of one exodia set and still have 359 wisps from the booster mining runs.

This is what I do, while talking on the phone, or watching TV... or whatever. If I can do this while barely paying attention to it, any fool can do it. You just have to DO IT instead of complain. As a matter of fact and not opinion, the wisp farm is one of the EASIEST farms in the game  because unlike almost all other resources, you don't have to kill mobs or go through a separate mining/fishing side game to get them. You just have to run around a lake that can be reset every two minutes PICKING THEM UP.

Edited by Buttaface

16 minutes ago, Buttaface said:

Yeah because it's a fact, and the whiners come here and whine instead of spending the -trivial- amount of time necessary to do the absurdly easy wisp farm side game correctly.

Without engaging more than a few brain cells: 1. Wait to get a resource booster on login (or for Baro to bring it and buy with ducats, or GOD FORBID spend a princely 40p and support the game). 2. Run Loki (or hell any frame with runspeed mods on) around the big Eastern lake of POE picking up wisps. 3. Return to the gate with 4 wisps average at night, 2 in the day. 4. Leave Cetus to Orbiter. 5. Reenter POE and do the run again. Elapsed time for one run? 2 minutes, maybe less. 6. Have all the wisps you need. Is this the -best- way? No, nowhere close, it's the braindead, easy, 6 year old can do it way. But apparently judging by the number of wisp threads this forum spawns, some folks need help with this "massive undertaking" at the most -ahem- "elementary" levels.

And yeah, I -just- finished 3 day resource and drop chance boosters. I did mining during the runs, and made the 80p back (and more) in TEN MINUTES selling Radian Sentirum in trade chat. Have made 90% of one exodia set and still have 359 wisps from the booster mining runs.

This is what I do, while talking on the phone, or watching TV... or whatever. If I can do this while barely paying attention to it, any fool can do it. You just have to DO IT instead of complain. As a matter of fact and not opinion, the wisp farm is one of the EASIEST farms in the game  because unlike almost all other resources, you don't have to kill mobs or go through a separate mining/fishing side game to get them. You just have to run around a lake that can be reset every two minutes PICKING THEM UP.

This. But you don't have to leave Cetus; just walk back through the gate.

I use Max Range Nova with Loot Detector and do a circle around the plains. You can just look at your map for the Wisps because all the other loot is in the same spots. Anything that sticks out is a Wisp.

16 minutes ago, Buttaface said:

What Altre meant is there are 2 sides of the same coin.   Having the wisps spawn in the first place is RNG by itself.  Many can claim "I get X wisps per run" , but there are also others who run the same farming route around the lakes but come up empty.  Not once but several times in a row.  I can understand their frustration. You can run the route as much as you want but if RNG is never on your side, you are literally wasting your time.  Take farming Ivara and Nidus parts, those on the bad side of RNGesus will take months of trying to get them all, years trying to get all Stalker drops. I'm glad I'm not among them but those players exist and their concern is valid.  Honestly, they are better off buying 2 wisps per day, less frustrating, more guarantee despite the very long wait. 

I got my wisps just like davej83 described, during bounties.  If no wisps spawn anywhere, at least I got some bounty rewards and cetus standing. My time wasn't wasted this way and I did some shooting along the way rather than just running a marathon like a mindless GPS drone. So this would be my advice: try combining and multi-tasking your goals; you always end up with something rather than nothing.

2 minutes ago, McSkops said:

This. But you don't have to leave Cetus; just walk back through the gate.

I use Max Range Nova with Loot Detector and do a circle around the plains. You can just look at your map for the Wisps because all the other loot is in the same spots. Anything that sticks out is a Wisp.

True, I have a game though where I have to get up and do burpees, squats or calf raise, or some other fast exercise during the second ship loading screen :) Watching the ship fly is part of the routine. LOL.

In the interest of accuracy, just timed a "brain dead" run as described in my prior post with Loki, and not with max runspeed. Including loading screens, took ~170 seconds, was during the Cetus day, got one wisp, which would have been two with booster.

24 minutes ago, Buttaface said:

Here's the problem: what part of what you just described is engaging, exciting, or meaningful gameplay?

Answer: none of it.

It's just time-gating at its worst. There is no reason for DE to make a part of the game that requires bland, tedious, almost-AFK gameplay just to progress. The reason they did it was because, in their naivety, they assumed players would just be getting these things passively, by noticing them while running normal bounties/incursions/mining runs, without stopping to realize that they were actively incentivizing direct farming of them due to the necessity of amps in Eidolon hunting and the extreme utility of Operator, Amp, and some Melee arcanes.

Now that they know exactly what the demand is for wisps, they should find a way to give them to the player as a reward for engaging gameplay, at a rate that is actually worth using as a farm. Not the rate currently available though bounties, and not at the rate possible through the Quills. An amp part takes 1 hour to craft, as does an arcane, but it takes 4 days for an MR 25 to build one through Quill farming, or ~2 days of running bounty 5 10x/day (based on average drop rate).

Forcing your players to literally run in vaguely circle-shaped patterns is never a good idea, especially if it isn't engaging.

Just now, MystMan said:

What Altre meant is there are 2 sides of the same coin.   Having the wisps spawn in the first place is RNG by itself.  Many can claim "I get X wisps per run" , but there are also others who run the same farming route around the lakes but come up empty.  Not once but several times in a row.  I can understand their frustration.

I don't understand their frustration, because 1. You don't have to kill anything or complete anything to get wisps. You don't even have to swing a weapon at a crate or open a locker. 2. You can reset the map every short run. 3. RNG or not, probability will out over time, and sure, I have 3 in a row null runs, and then have a run with 6-10. The difference between this type of RNG and others is you only have to -run- for a few minutes to get to the next dice roll.

....aaand we have come full circle.

Group X prefers the goal over the journey.   (Farming wisp the simplistic and mindless way is fine).
Group Y prefers the journey over the goal.   (Farming wisps has to be exciting and engaging).

That's all this is.  Two groups of players with different expectations of farming.

3 minutes ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

Here's the problem: what part of what you just described is engaging, exciting, or meaningful gameplay?

Answer: none of it.

It's just time-gating at its worst. There is no reason for DE to make a part of the game that requires bland, tedious, almost-AFK gameplay just to progress.

Apples-Oranges if you are making the argument that the wisp farm is "time gating" in comparison to other time gating in the game. In the greater world of Warframe grindiness, resetting a map every 2-3 minutes and running around a lake PICKING THINGS UP isn't comparatively onerous. Be honest, would you rather farm 100 wisps in 3-5 hours by picking them off a bank? or farm Ivara/Nidus/Khora/Harrow in X days?

News flash, 80% of Warframe is neither engaging, exciting nor meaningful. And not picking on WF, pretty much all online games, especially free to play models, are exactly the same. One could make a reasonable argument that it's their defining characteristic.

27 minutes ago, MystMan said:

....aaand we have come full circle.

Group X prefers the goal over the journey.   (Farming wisp the simplistic and mindless way is fine).
Group Y prefers the journey over the goal.   (Farming wisps has to be exciting and engaging).

That's all this is.  Two groups of players with different expectations of farming.

No, we have not come full circle. Players regularly make these wisp threads containing -factually incorrect statements and claims- about the difficulty/amount of time necessary to get Cetus Wisps  as the basis for asking that wisps be even more dumbed down and easy to get than they are (and they are drool cup easy to get right now). That's not a case of differing, valid opinions on something regardless of your noble attempts to describe it as such.

Want to add as an edit, I -despise- the hacking side game in Warframe, did it for months when starting the game way back when, hated it then, hate it now. If a cipher won't work on it now, I don't do it. But do I think it should be changed because it is not "engaging" game play? No. Some people -like- hacking, just like some people like spy and rescue missions which I also hate though have done many of each.

I'm running low on neural sensors. I WISH I could run around a lake in POE over and over and just pick them off the banks.

Tell you what, let's make a compromise and switch Cetus wisps to only dropping from mobs and crates on Jupiter and put Neural Sensors on the banks of POE lakes that can be run in 3 minutes and reset at will without doing missions or killing mobs, would that make you all happy?

Edited by Buttaface

Having farmed all that on console, on my PC account I do it the easy way... I don't.

• Nit bothering with 95% of dojo weapons as that requires forms fieldron and mutagen I don't want to farm
  • Not bothering with most zaws exodia etc that need wisps
  • Am not even bothering with most things that need cryotic as I'm sick of excavation too.
  •  
  •  

And without any of that I made mr 20 with enough gear to solo all the content eso excluded

Eventually ill have some of those resources from sorties or random other missions and might build  something requiring them... But you either chase mr rank and do all the tedious chores that entails, or just casually play the game.   

2 hours ago, Buttaface said:

Oh I've been spending the time with all the run speed and powerstrength I can stack on my volt for speed. It doesn't change the fact that farming wisps are boring and tedious and offer almost zero engagement very little return of investment. It's great that you have enough stuff to do in between boosters and the free time to wait every 2 weeks for baro and use a booster from our rng daily item, but I've been playing for 5 years, I don't really have things other than the wisp farm left and compared to every other farm, even the prime farm back in U8 where it took hundreds of runs to complete a set nothing has turned me off the game more than this mindless lap running. I come to warframe to shoot and engage with enemies and complete objectives not to run track and field.

1 hour ago, Buttaface said:

Apples-Oranges if you are making the argument that the wisp farm is "time gating" in comparison to other time gating in the game. In the greater world of Warframe grindiness, resetting a map every 2-3 minutes and running around a lake PICKING THINGS UP isn't comparatively onerous. Be honest, would you rather farm 100 wisps in 3-5 hours by picking them off a bank? or farm Ivara/Nidus/Khora/Harrow in X days?

News flash, 80% of Warframe is neither engaging, exciting nor meaningful. And not picking on WF, pretty much all online games, especially free to play models, are exactly the same. One could make a reasonable argument that it's their defining characteristic.

Yes I would much rather farm ivara, nidus and harrow again. Because while I am doing that I am engaging enemies, solving puzzles, using my weapons and powers. I don't want to turn my brain off and mindless run in circles, if I wanted that I'd just play a clicker game.

1 hour ago, Buttaface said:

No, we have not come full circle. Players regularly make these wisp threads containing -factually incorrect statements and claims- about the difficulty/amount of time necessary to get Cetus Wisps  as the basis for asking that wisps be even more dumbed down and easy to get than they are (and they are drool cup easy to get right now). That's not a case of differing, valid opinions on something regardless of your noble attempts to describe it as such.

Want to add as an edit, I -despise- the hacking side game in Warframe, did it for months when starting the game way back when, hated it then, hate it now. If a cipher won't work on it now, I don't do it. But do I think it should be changed because it is not "engaging" game play? No. Some people -like- hacking, just like some people like spy and rescue missions which I also hate though have done many of each.

I'm running low on neural sensors. I WISH I could run around a lake in POE over and over and just pick them off the banks.

Tell you what, let's make a compromise and switch Cetus wisps to only dropping from mobs and crates on Jupiter and put Neural Sensors on the banks of POE lakes that can be run in 3 minutes and reset at will without doing missions or killing mobs, would that make you all happy?

What factually incorrect statements have I made about the difficulty/amount of time? I have simply stated my opinion about why I don't like them, I don't see where I am making factually incorrect statements so you will have to be much more specific and provide examples other wise I will have to assume you are talking about other players posts. The wisp farm isn't hard it's braindead, boring, tedious, and offers none of warframes core gameplay. 

6 hours ago, Drasiel said:

What factually incorrect statements have I made about the difficulty/amount of time? I have simply stated my opinion about why I don't like them, I don't see where I am making factually incorrect statements so you will have to be much more specific and provide examples other wise I will have to assume you are talking about other players posts. The wisp farm isn't hard it's braindead, boring, tedious, and offers none of warframes core gameplay. 

For this I apologize, you did not. Others do though in the wisp complaint threads that seem to crop up near daily. I thought you did at first with respect to the number of wisps required for recipes "per piece" but that is subject to interpretation.

Exodia arcane sets, that I've built six of now, are by far the biggest wisp grind in the game, requiring 100 per set. They already reduced that from 200 fairly recently. Personally, I think 100 per set is about right for the power of certain exodias on well-built zaws.

I checked the other recipes... amps, armor pieces, zaw links and such, and the wisp requirements aren't that bad for those.

So I take it you -aren't- using a 40p three day booster that guarantees double wisp drops. OK then.