Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How come saying gay in chat gets you suspended?

WorstPlayer

It doesn’t make sense but I understand. It’s more do to with actual statistics when people include gay in a sentence in a sci-fi video game it’s usually some 12 year old stuff I don’t want to hear. I wouldn’t mind if they ban mom and girlfriend too. 

Edited by (PS4)johnsoigne

2 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

Wait, so if I contextually say: "Don't let the lasers touch you in a rescue mission, it's a trap." I might get suspended? O_O

@DeMonkey proved awhile back that the word trap doesn't trigger the ban in itself.  It's the context of how it's used that will get you banned.  

1 minute ago, Tellakey said:

Sure, so say a newbie asks me about the rescue mission and I answer the above, will I get suspended?

Because how many times has that happened to you? Have you ever seen anyone asking that in region chat? Yeah, me neither. We can all make up random unlikely sentences that no one ever uses in the game and pretend to be outraged that we aren't allowed to use these hypothetical sentences. But it's a complete non-issue.

2 minutes ago, rune_me said:

Because how many times has that happened to you? Have you ever seen anyone asking that in region chat? Yeah, me neither. We can all make up random unlikely sentences that no one ever uses in the game and pretend to be outraged that we aren't allowed to use these hypothetical sentences. But it's a complete non-issue.

There have been more than a couple of instances where players came to the forums innocently using words they didn't realize were trigger-inducing and were subsequently banned. It's not a non-issue. It might not be a big issue, but it definitely isn't a non-issue.

I don't know where you live, but not everybody lives in bubbly America, savvy about the latest buzz-words to be condemned. Some of us don't know that there are weak people who get offended by some stupid words like 'trap'. Where I come from the N-word is an f-ing color! We literally have a cake named 'N**g*r Cake' because it's a color. 

Edited by Tellakey

1 minute ago, Tellakey said:

There have been more than a couple of instances where players came to the forums innocently using words they didn't realize were trigger-inducing and were subsequently banned. It's not a non-issue. It might not be a big issue, but it definitely isn't a non-issue.

"Innocently"? Not so much. Just because you didn't know it was on a list, doesn't mean it's innocent. 

As has been proven many times, you can say the word trap just fine. Hell, yesterday I wrote "Arc Trap" in region chat just to test it, because I was having this exact same conversation with someone else, and nothing happened. It is only when used in specific sentence-structures it triggers.

Because DE's AI Bot is half-assed and never has been working to expectation for having a real "context" filter, instead they rather have it so most instances of the word (or used in specific sentences)  = instant suspension.

7 minutes ago, rune_me said:

But it's a complete non-issue.

Cause if it doesn't happen to you - it must not happen to anyone at all. Flawless. :clap:

Edited by Prime-Ares

Just now, rune_me said:

"Innocently"? Not so much. Just because you didn't know it was on a list, doesn't mean it's innocent. 

As has been proven many times, you can say the word trap just fine. Hell, yesterday I wrote "Arc Trap" in region chat just to test it, because I was having this exact same conversation with someone else, and nothing happened. It is only when used in specific sentence-structures it triggers.

When I say 'innocently' I mean that they don't realize the word is problematic. Obviously, the OP meant it in a derogative way. But if I one day use a word like 'trap' only to be banned I'd have no idea why.

Just now, Prime-Ares said:

Cause if it doesn't happen to you - it must not happen to anyone at all. Flawless. :clap:

I didn't say because it hasn't happened to me. I said because it hasn't happened to anyone. 

Just now, rune_me said:

I didn't say because it hasn't happened to me. I said because it hasn't happened to anyone. 

Sure, and statistics represent reality, so your anecdotal experience must represent the truth.

Edited by Tellakey

Fun facts with the ban system:

• The word "homo" is not bannable
  • There's a streamer with "gay" in their name (and pushes their sexuality for the entirety of their shtick)
  • Hateful people will always use words that the bots don't recognize to avoid bans
  • DE is overly sensitive and won't allow people to simply form their own list of blocked words
  • "[INSERT_X] is a trap" is bannable, so saying "it's a trap" would also be bannable
Edited by Sean