Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Notebook for playing

NoLuckEvrTim

Sup everyone. Need some help with choosing a notebook. Requirements - 60FPS on: any settings, full lobby and some hard (for PC) maps - PoE/tridolons, infested maps, etc.

And, if you playing on notebook - can I hear ur feedback about game (ur notebook + game settings.)

GL and tnx for answering.

Whats your budget?

If you can manage £700 - £800 

https://www.ebuyer.com/791536-asus-zx553-1050-gaming-laptop-zx553vd-dm968t?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI09D2nKae2wIVjQDTCh1ZQQ4DEAkYASABEgKDnfD_BwE

One I use and the ROG variant

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asus-gl553vd-core-i5-7300hq-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-geforce-gtx-1050-dvd-rw-15.-gl553vd-fy047t/version.asp?refsource=LDadwords&refsource=Ldadwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhMzAt6ae2wIVVijTCh0UmQfDEAkYASABEgJtsvD_BwE

Difference being cosmetic only.

Runs warframe on max 60fps, DOOM on high with 60fps in majority of areas (some areas dip between 30 - 45 fps which is weird considering its a gtx 1050 in this which should be more than enough. Might be a vsync issue as turning it off does remove those dips but adds tearing.) and Killing Floor 2 runs on max with 60fps.

Just a few examples.

I also use it for music production and it handles whatever vsts I throw at it for live playback. Decent image quality for artists too and pretty good contrast of colors.

Its pretty easy to upgrade too. Extra ram slot, M.2 SSD slot and a extra slot for a sata ssd. You can also not bother with a disk drive and instead get a caddy for a extra HDD or SDD.

It does have a bit of weight to it but nothing too much to cause arm pain while holding and using it. Feels comfortable in the lap. The exhaust is also on the side so you don't have to worry about overheating the thing.

Thermals idle can range between 45 - 55 and it can ramp up to 70 - 80 full load but the fans keep it from throttling. Thats with stock paste though on the cpu and gpu dye. Unsure what some third party paste could do for temps.

My only gripe is getting spare parts can be a pain. Especially the keyboard which for the rog version of it can set you back £60 if you aren't covered with insurance or void the warranty.

Edited by VermillionScourge

50 minutes ago, NoLuckEvrTim said:

And, if you playing on notebook - can I hear ur feedback about game (ur notebook + game settings.)

I was using an Acer Predator 17 for a while. It ran everything at 60 FPS. I had an older model (GTX 970m GPU). Mine ran every game I tried at 60 FPS, or higher (occasional drops to 45 FPS or so under high load). The newest version should be fine for everything. They are around the 1,500 USD mark though. 

I mean, the main question is what your budget is. We can suggest as much as you like, but without knowing how much you want to spend it gets a bit tricky making "useful" suggestions.

11 часов назад, krc473 сказал:

We can suggest as much as you like, but without knowing how much you want to spend it gets a bit tricky making "useful" suggestions.

Well, now I want to look for prices and different types of configuration.

About budget - just wanna see all variants, from lowest to highest. It starts from $500.

11 часов назад, VermillionScourge сказал:

Whats your budget?

So, what variants do I have, if I'm looking for mid-segment? Like $500 - $900

Edited by NoLuckEvrTim

18 minutes ago, NoLuckEvrTim said:

Well, now I want to look for prices and different types of configuration.

How worried about the screen are you? Do you connect it to a secondary monitor/TV?

Because Full HD 17" screens are better for gaming, but more expensive. If you have a secondary screen already you might as well go for 15".

-------

I would probably go for something like these with your budget. Both brands do have reasonable reputations. Personally, I am not a fan of GTX 1050, but I do not know if you will get a better GPU in your price range.

Edited by krc473

How worried about the screen are you? 

Absolutely don't care.

Do you connect it to a secondary monitor/TV?

Nope, wanna play only on notebook.

Because Full HD 17" screens are better for gaming, but more expensive. If you have a secondary screen already you might as well go for 15".

Tbh, I can feel comfortable gaming at 15" aswell, so screen size isn't on a first places for me.

I would probably go for something like these with your budget.

Looked at your variants, ty. Any non-gaming-oriented variants? Like, more "office" kind, ya'know 🙂

12 hours ago, NoLuckEvrTim said:

Any non-gaming-oriented variants? Like, more "office" kind, ya'know

Dell makes some reaonable "Office Style" ones.

Here are a couple, they both say "Gaming Laptop" in the title. But they have the appearance of a more Office Style. I would not recommend dropping below 8 GB RAM and GTX 900 series (or equivalent).

I would probably avoid brands like HP - I had them for a while. They had endless issues. Useless fans, connectivity issues, general slowness (from repairers I got the feeling this was "normal"). 

Edited by krc473

2 minutes ago, CupcakesMoo said:

A note book for playing games. The two half fried laptops beside me are a testament to why its not a good idea to use laptops for gaming. 

Many people use laptops for gaming without issue (I have for years). Some brands/models are useless. Or the owner does not take care of them (I.e. playing with it on a blanket).

>dell anything

If you absolutely must get a dell, you need to make sure all components are functional. Especially Dell power supplies. Normally I'd say you may as well take it completely apart and clean everything then make sure its all seated properly. But some people wouldn't much care for doing that. 

While we are on the subject, and since I cant stress this enough. It absolutely must be mentioned in every computer discussion to avoid HP products like the plague.