Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Digital Extremes Gets American Sister Studio?

DaBruuzer

9 minutes ago, Cephalon_9.52 said:

Sorry, I'm probably very stupid, but Digital Extremes =/= WarGaming (World of Tonks, Lolibotes, etc.).

The article is saying that wargaming seattle is shutting down a studio while DE is receiving a sister studio

Edited by paul5473

Ohh, ok, got it, thanks!

9 минут назад, JuicyButthurt сказал:

>while Digital Extremes gets an American sister studio

Redacted: The gamasutra link, which was in the OP didn't have any info regarding DE though.

Edited by Cephalon_9.52

It's just a poorly written article, I think.

Meanwhile, the owners of Digital Extremes (best known for Warframe) are busy getting more invested into gaming with the opening of a new studio in Burbank, CA. Athlon Games is a US publishing arm of Leyou Technologies Holding Limited, which might seem odd for a company that supposedly deals in chicken products. The publishing arm apparently will be specializing in free-to-play titles, so it remains to be seen exactly what it will be bringing out… just that it’ll be expanding the company’s existing assets.

DE isn't getting anything. DE is wholly owned by a Chinese company, and (I believe) that company has acquired a new studio in the US. 

Edited by NullSaint

6 minutes ago, Cephalon_9.52 said:

Sorry, I'm probably very stupid, but Digital Extremes =/= WarGaming (World of Tonks, Lolibotes, etc.).

The article does a "meanwhile..." and starts talking about how DE is getting a sister branch in Burbank, CA (Athlon Games?).

I do agree though that this would probably be better off in off-topic.

Back to the topic at hand though, I'm interested to see how this will affect Warframe as well, if at all. Guess we'll have to wait for news (from DE) on this.

Edited by MesaVandal

12 minutes ago, DaBruuzer said:

The article does not mention anything about Warframe being affected, but would love to get some clarification:

http://massivelyop.com/2018/05/24/wargaming-seattle-shuts-down-while-digital-extremes-gets-an-american-sister-studio/

I'm just gonna state the obvious here.  DE is in Canada.  Canada is in North America.  Hence, DE is already American.  

As a US citizen, this is one of the things that urks me.  How my fellow US citizens claim the title of American is if it's the only country in the Americas.  

7 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

I'm just gonna state the obvious here.  DE is in Canada.  Canada is in North America.  Hence, DE is already American.  

As a US citizen, this is one of the things that urks me.  How my fellow US citizens claim the title of American is if it's the only country in the Americas.  

What title do you suggest?

14 minutes ago, NullSaint said:

It's just a poorly written article, I think.

DE isn't getting anything. DE is wholly owned by a Chinese company, and (I believe) that company has acquired a new studio in the US. 

The majority of DE is owned by a chinese company. 39% of it is still in the hands of the original owners afaik. Not sure if that has changed.

The new california based sister company will be a publisher by the looks of it, not a development studio.

2 minutes ago, Kinetos said:

What title do you suggest?

Well since you asked so nicely, how about US Citizen or Statesman would be my first choices.  

I have some more, but decided not to list the others so I wouldn't intentionally trigger anyone.  :clem: 

7 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

The majority of DE is owned by a chinese company. 39% of it is still in the hands of the original owners afaik. Not sure if that has changed.

The new california based sister company will be a publisher by the looks of it, not a development studio.

That's true. I was incorrect to say "wholly", but they are owned and controlled by the other company.

Edited by NullSaint

25 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Well, if you're going to get pedantic, "Americas" covers the entire western hemisphere. Central, South & North America.

If this was a real thing that actually happened, DE would likely post an official announcement about what happened, which they clearly haven’t said anything at this current time frame. Remember the Perfect World Enterainment situation a few years back? DE posted on the forums stating of what happened, so I guess if this is a real thing, we will have to wait and see if DE will say anything or not.

Interesting things but maybe the DE will announce it sometimes if there are something but I guess business things is not our duty so they could just stay silent too. Unless that thing is heavily can change the game or the developement sheldues.