Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[22.20.5] Spores Revisited Feedback MEGATHREAD

[DE]Danielle

18 minutes ago, SyBuhr said:

You clearly have not read what I've posted. 

Good day.

Molt has relatively always worked like that. Even so, there are times where enemies will still keep aggro on you, rather than Molt. It's always been like that, from 1.0 to now. I have noticed positive changes from her 1.0 to 2.0 time, though nothing catches my eye from 2.0 to 3.0, and now 3.5/3.x. Generally speaking, you'll probably run into that uneffectiveness in the Plains, given how open they are, and the finite aggro range of Molt. (Mortars will still target you from afar, despite molt being in LOS, enemies will still shoot at you, even if Molt is in-between them from time-to-time). It's really just how Molt is and has always been.

So molt is as reliable as it has always been, which, yes, if it is smack-dab in the middle of a lot of enemies, very reliable. But that really isn't where you want to be as a squishy frame, even after the buff to her armor is considered. Bearing in mind, some level geometry is not always the best for Molt, and positioning has always been a bit of tedium in a game that requires constant, fast-paced movements.

Edit: Alternatively, placing Molt in the Air is a sort of Quick Fix to that, which I think works best in general.

Generally speaking, it is an OK disengage mechanic, but I feel that it should have been replaced with something else entirely.

Agreed on launching molt in the air...also because it keeps it out of harms way from melee units while still pulling their aggro. I do believe it is more reliable more..at least it feels I can stand closer to enemies without drawing aggro back to me as easily as before. 

The way I look at it, Saryn now has amazing damage at all levels, good but not great CC (considering both molt & miasma) and ok'ish tank. Given how great damage is, it seems pretty balanced that both CC and tank aren't as optimal as that of some other frames. 

I mostly use viral/slash on my Saryn weapons, but almost always combo that with a bit of rad damage...not just against Ancients. It's quite handy once you reach a point where you won't 1shot stuff and helps to take a bit of pressure off molt too. 

Edited by (PS4)Radehx

2 hours ago, MasaJin said:

That would be nice the aoe cast but what would make her skills work together more like before 

The sporeing molt was like a mine why not just make it so spores dont spread if u poped molt or enemies have to shoot molt for spores to spread or once spores are on molt that skill is locked till that molt is destroyed 

Toxic lash spreading toxic was felt like we were feeding spores with poison all of these would have more use if we droped the ram and damg of spored again making it so u had to use synergies to get similar or better effect to what we have now as adding energy regain back to lash would help with all those skills being casted

Miasma i at this point don't know where it would go other than removing it as a damg dealing skill and it being a aoe debuff or cc with better duration and keep it as a helper to spreading spores

Thing is, is if you have Miasma as a constant Spore-spreader, then there is nothing stopping a monopoly of Range-Saryn's with infinite spores. That is a massive hurdle, and why I suggested a spread-once-per-unique-enemy mechanic, to sort of prevent that, while making Toxic Lash more appealing to the Utility Players, since that ability (Toxic Lash) will always pop. In every situation I can think of, why would I not take a max-range Saryn, then, purely for Miasma Spores? Miasma is tricky for this reason, because you have to balance it around the rest of her kit, one of which is the basis for using Miasma to begin with.

Molt Spores was sort of bad to begin with, to be fair. It allowed you to proxy spores from far away during 2.0 times, while enemies were aggro'd to that rather than you. It sort of needed to go. Considering they moved to giving her more Armor, my thoughts were to capitalize on that, give her an ability that made her tankier and offer coverage to her team. I've practically fully fleshed that idea out in my head on what it would look like, what it'd do, and costs to make it fall in line with her kit. Obviously, hypotheticals, but a guy can dream.

If you drop the Ramp-Up Damage, you lose the DPS-base's favor, which is what I hoped to avoid with my proposed changes, as many people love the damage (and I can't blame them for it). Alternatively, you could roll spores back, and request people to use Certain weapons, such as the Gas-Lanka, but then we are back to Weapon-Specific Frames as we are now with the Ignis. That's why I've been drafting the spore-mortar in my head over the past 40 some hours, because I don't think people enjoy feeling locked into weapon-specific frames, or vice-versa. Obviously, some weapons will always offer the top-performance, and that's unavoidable, but I'd like to try and mitigate it or offer frame alternatives.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Radehx said:

Agreed on launching molt in the air...also because it keeps it out of harms way from melee units while still pulling their aggro. I do believe it is more reliable more..at least it feels I can stand closer to enemies without drawing aggro back to me as easily as before. 

I think that is more of a change with the Enemy AI rather than Molt. I don't know for certain, but over the years, it feels like they have improved Enemy AI in general. I could be on something strong, but that's how it comes off to me, as I don't really notice a difference with Other frame's and their Decoys. Corpus just don't feel as dumb as they used to...

Molt is pretty solid in the air, but you do lose out on that Invuln.Damage from Melee, which is pretty significant. Saving team-mates with the Molt is definitely Easier. Molt in Air also pretty much locks-down infested, as it always has.The main draw is that, it gathers those melee units in, who don't have a Significant EHP pool to work with, so you can spore them, and then pop them. I think Taveuni, in an hour, I had roughly 4k kills with 92% of team's damage. That said, there were no other DPS frames to hamper Spore spread, and it was Squad, which is different than the entirety of the game, or doing the game as intended with PUGs, no comms.

It is definitely a more reliable Save-Tool, as in, you can use it to rush to someone really quickly if you don't have any bullet jump mods, or Sprint mods equipped. In that regard, you've saved 1-2 slots for other things potentially (Assuming you've forma'd your Saryn to fit everything).

Team-wise, it only has that one particular use, and that is it, and that's something I didn't care for during her 1.0 time to now. I still like it, better than I did in 2.0 time due to the removal of Campy Saryn, but I also see that it's over-all potential usage dwindle, and that worries me from a design perspective.

I guess the general gist we have now is that Saryn isn't going to be altered again until there's another frame-wide rework some years down the line.  

I can kind of get what they were going for, like, if you want to use Saryn in low level content then use Overextended to boost your range and nerf your damage, lowering the damage ticks of Spores so they can spread better without instakilling everything, and then in theory Molt should be fine 'cos of it's Iron Skin-esque adaptability when it spawns, and Toxic Lash and Miasma don't need all that much damage 'cos enemies are squishy... and all those new players who don't have Overextended yet can suffer making a frame that's no good until they're able to nerf her power strength via a rare mod that people don't normally farm for nowadays because the whole point of the rework was to make her more new-player-friendly and this is totally new-player-friendly amirite?

Anyways, all this has really done is made me look at my Ember Prime build and tweak it a little bit more to make it act exactly how it was before the 'rework' (read as: nerf) some months ago.  And yeah it does exactly that, covers a large radius, ticks for around 800 damage at full power and has a low energy cost, and as an extra bonus her other abilities are way more spammable now too.  It's a lowbie mission nuker just like in the old days that still works fine at level 40.  Funny that a nerf to my one favourite frame has made me fall back to my other favourite and make her significantly more of a 'problem' to public matches than she was before.

Edited by Konachibi

5 hours ago, SyBuhr said:

Thing is, is if you have Miasma as a constant Spore-spreader, then there is nothing stopping a monopoly of Range-Saryn's with infinite spores. That is a massive hurdle, and why I suggested a spread-once-per-unique-enemy mechanic, to sort of prevent that, while making Toxic Lash more appealing to the Utility Players, since that ability (Toxic Lash) will always pop. In every situation I can think of, why would I not take a max-range Saryn, then, purely for Miasma Spores? Miasma is tricky for this reason, because you have to balance it around the rest of her kit, one of which is the basis for using Miasma to begin with.

Molt Spores was sort of bad to begin with, to be fair. It allowed you to proxy spores from far away during 2.0 times, while enemies were aggro'd to that rather than you. It sort of needed to go. Considering they moved to giving her more Armor, my thoughts were to capitalize on that, give her an ability that made her tankier and offer coverage to her team. I've practically fully fleshed that idea out in my head on what it would look like, what it'd do, and costs to make it fall in line with her kit. Obviously, hypotheticals, but a guy can dream.

If you drop the Ramp-Up Damage, you lose the DPS-base's favor, which is what I hoped to avoid with my proposed changes, as many people love the damage (and I can't blame them for it). Alternatively, you could roll spores back, and request people to use Certain weapons, such as the Gas-Lanka, but then we are back to Weapon-Specific Frames as we are now with the Ignis. That's why I've been drafting the spore-mortar in my head over the past 40 some hours, because I don't think people enjoy feeling locked into weapon-specific frames, or vice-versa. Obviously, some weapons will always offer the top-performance, and that's unavoidable, but I'd like to try and mitigate it or offer frame alternatives.

yeah that becomes a issue when you try and make perfect synergy if everything works too well together they just do all the work once turned on. sure molt spores had its issues but it felt really good when not made for EZ cheese i just enjoyed a set up that isn't spam till its dead(the way i used it). lowering the dps would make you have to use more than just spores to have it ramp faster if you shoot it with lash or if you have them effected by miasma ramp goes up because now its just cast spores let it ramp and makes sure it spreads you don't even need lash or miasma to do it.

On 2018-06-10 at 10:06 PM, (PS4)Kairu_Aname said:

I do believe they have changed the names of mods they've changed the function of entirely. I don't remember any off the top of my head.

Though the name could feasibly be changed to "molting fury", or "Fluxing molt", or "revolting molt". 

It's suggestions

Revolting Molt, I like it. Nice ring to it.

15 hours ago, (PS4)Radehx said:

Pointing out that not adapting isn't clever isn't being rude, it's being factual. This goes for pretty much everything in life if you are unwilling to adapt. Clearly there are a whole bunch of people who have no problem whatsoever adapting to the changes and in fact like them. 

It's simple, Saryn works perfectly fine at all levels as long as you adapt. Don't like the playstyle? Move on...because your criticism isn't objective given the frame works perfectly at all levels. If you don't like the taste of Coke, don't drink Coke...it doesn't make Coke a bad drink.

I don't think anyone had a problem with you saying people needing to adapt. Rather, I think it's the way you say what you're saying. The insulting part is where you call others idiots and what not. I'd also just like to say you don't pick up a Coke one day and find that it tastes totally different than before, so comparing Saryn to Coke isn't really a logical analogy.

Speaking of adapting, from what I'm reading, adapting is no problem for most people. The same goes for using her effectively. Using Saryn feels more powerful than ever, and it's not hard to use her effectively, but it feels a lot worse. I know someone's going to say that feelings aren't constructive, but given the emphasis on fun factor during her rework, it seems quite relevant.

7 hours ago, Reclaimer2448 said:

I don't think anyone had a problem with you saying people needing to adapt. Rather, I think it's the way you say what you're saying. The insulting part is where you call others idiots and what not. I'd also just like to say you don't pick up a Coke one day and find that it tastes totally different than before, so comparing Saryn to Coke isn't really a logical analogy.

Speaking of adapting, from what I'm reading, adapting is no problem for most people. The same goes for using her effectively. Using Saryn feels more powerful than ever, and it's not hard to use her effectively, but it feels a lot worse. I know someone's going to say that feelings aren't constructive, but given the emphasis on fun factor during her rework, it seems quite relevant.

Hmm, I'd say that maybe some players feel as playing her has become worse/ less interactive/ less versatile.

And some feel quite the opposite (being able to escape strong enemies better with molt, toxic lash working with all weapons, spores and miasma always helping with back up damage if your weapons aren't as good or you just took mk1 braton to the mission for fun). I especially like the part that Toxic Lash works on all weapons (same as I always liked Rhino or Chroma or Mirage etc for boosting all weapons and being able to just have fun and not being limited always only to the strongest weapons).

So where lies the truth..is hard to tell. Because it is only logical that different people seek different ways to play the game and some will always dislike the exact things that others see as awesome. In my personal opinion I hope DE leaves Saryn as she is right now as to me she feels great to play.

On 2018-06-15 at 3:13 PM, (PS4)big_eviljak said:

Gas Daikyu + Saryn = mass genocide of any faction. Love it!

If you use a Glaive with Astral Twilight, give the 2nd combo a try...it's awesome as a melee spore spreader against mobs.

You get 1 regular strike, a double strike that procs impact, followed by a triple strike that does 150% damage and a triple strike slam that does 200% damage. You flip around like mad doing it, so not bad defensively either. Easy to pull off too. The glaive explosion is amazing to spread spores too.

Edited by (PS4)Radehx

6 hours ago, (PS4)Radehx said:

If you use a Glaive with Astral Twilight, give the 2nd combo a try...it's awesome as a melee spore spreader against mobs.

You get 1 regular strike, a double strike that procs impact, followed by a triple strike that does 150% damage and a triple strike slam that does 200% damage. You flip around like mad doing it, so not bad defensively either. Easy to pull off too. The glaive explosion is amazing to spread spores too.

Hm im definit gonna give that a whirl.

9 hours ago, (PS4)big_eviljak said:

Hm im definit gonna give that a whirl.

Rig it for viral/rad...it's imo the most effective combo. Viral is the most effective damage type given you already strip armor and get free toxin procs. The rad procs come in super handy for their extra CC given melee Saryn is a bit more vulnerable than gun Saryn.

The last part of that combo makes you spin through the air hitting everything you jump into. Whatever doesn't die generally ends up shooting at its mates rather than me thanks to rad procs.

In fact, Astral Twilight is an awesome stance in general, very fluid. And the Glaive explosions are nuts throwing everything to the floor, triggering spores and giving everything guaranteed slash procs on top of what they already have. Great range too, much better than any whips or polearms. 

It gets even crazier if you combo it with the Zakti. You viral/toxin/corrosive procs from your frame...so adding a few more with the Zakti makes the Glaive hit like a truck thanks to condition overload. This works for its explosion damage too.

On 2018-06-15 at 10:41 PM, Reclaimer2448 said:

This isn't spores related, but does anyone know why the initial energy keep getting lowered for Saryn Prime? I liked seeing that 150 in the bottom right every time I started a mission.

I went looking, but I haven't seen anyone else have that issue. It's definitely good to report it just in case others have the issue but don't report it. 

Edited by (PS4)Kairu_Aname
Spelling edits

7 minutes ago, Rivv0 said:

I've gotten used to rereworked Saryn since. Honestly, my only real complaint at this point is she still feels really squishy. 

I agree with this. The Survivability increase really didn’t make a difference to Saryn’s Survivability. She’s still a easy frame to get downed in ESO when you are playing as a Melee fighter.

18 minutes ago, Rivv0 said:

I've gotten used to rereworked Saryn since. Honestly, my only real complaint at this point is she still feels really squishy. 

What helped me a ton with that is spending a lot of time testing proper molt placement...and adding rad damage to my weapons. Makes a huge difference whether you place molt in a good or bad spot in terms of getting sniped.

I think a pure melee Saryn is hard to pull off at higher levels, you kinda have to pick your spots unless you have support. Don't think it's any harder than before though. I'd pick something with speed over damage, something with a fluid stance. 

Edited by (PS4)Radehx

On 2018-06-14 at 7:30 AM, DjKaplis said:

So where lies the truth..is hard to tell. Because it is only logical that different people seek different ways to play the game and some will always dislike the exact things that others see as awesome.

I know you said this like 4 whole days ago, but I was thinking about it anyways. Truth is something that's very not opinionated: very objective and fact related. With this in mind, I think the best way to find the most true representation of how the majority of people feel about Saryn's changes would be two surveys that are made widely known so no one misses out on it. Idk if that's a thing that they do ever. I say this because many who like Saryn as she is may simply not look in forums as they see no need, where as anyone who doesn't like the changes will likely be more motivated to speak here and create change. I think one survey should be for those who've used Saryn in her 2.0 days, and this one should be to see how the majority of them find more enjoyment with her current version than 2.0. The second should be for all and simply be about how many enjoy her current version, non-comparitively. I think the first one is important as people who haven't played 2.0 can't really give much input on weather or not her current version is actually improvement from a fun factor perspective, and because anyone who payed for Saryn Prime because they loved using Saryn should still get a Saryn they enjoy. It is much suck to pay for something you love and see it suddenly be something you don't. The second one is important just because making sure it's enjoyable for the majority is a generally good idea.

second idea: maybe a survey about the abilities individually.

On 2018-06-14 at 7:30 AM, DjKaplis said:

In my personal opinion I hope DE leaves Saryn as she is right now as to me she feels great to play.

I personally hope DE can find a way to make changes that keep people like you satisfied while satisfying those like me. I know not everyone can be satisfied, but I do think more people can be.

Something just occurred to me that really should have occurred to me earlier: what if Spores had a chance to spread on spore kill instead of just always spreading? Something like 10% to 25% base, effected by power strength. I still favor Kairu's idea, but if it can't happen, at least this would almost be as fun.

It's really irritating to babysit spores now, I find that you have to chase enemies down now to spread them and it isn't fun at all.

Could we get a change that allows Toxic Lash to be cast on allies too? Maybe change her toxic lash augment to this? 

Either that or allow them to spread on death again. 

After spending a bit more time with spores I've decided that it's merely 'Okay'.  In that if this is it's last form, then I can work with it, but I wouldn't say it's 'Fun', just 'Okay'.

I'm topping the damage and kill charts without even trying, without a specialized build, but it doesn't feel particularly engaging or rewarding.

For example, I think I got about 1000 kills in my last run, but I'm pretty sure I only personally killed about 200 or so, so the Spores are definitely kill-stealing for days, which is ruining the chain, which is a weird kind of negative reinforcement.  I feel like I'm simultaneously succeeding and failing at the same time.

I understand why Spores are in their current iteration, wanting people to cast Spores more than once, wanting it to not be too powerful for a 1st ability, wanting for it not to be a set-n-forget ability and be interactive and synergize and such.  It currently fulfills all those, but it just doesn't quite feel right.
It's kind of like other 1st skills like Fireball, you cast it and it does a thing in that general area, and if you think of it that way it's not so frustrating, but I feel it could be so much more, and more unique to Saryn like Spores originally was.

I think a Dilution system could potentially work, where Spore-kills spread themselves but reduce the Spore Count when they do, meaning your Spores only fizzle when you run out of targets to infect, or when you don't participate and the Spore Count bleeds itself out.  The infinite duration of Spores might need to be altered in that case, but the primary idea is that you'd have a steady pool of damage that gently increases and decreases depending on your level of activity, instead of having jarring cut-offs and panic-running-spore-spamming to find the next target because everything in line of sight is already dead.
Casting Spores on an already Spored enemy might boost the Spore Count a little bit, where you can convert energy into DPS effectively, and casting Spores on a non-Spored enemy while your Spore Count is still in the positives can drain it with energy cost reduction as per usual.
It'd kind of give you more power over Spore management and alleviate some of the stress.

And I'm still fond of the idea of some kind of Spore Collection mechanic from dead bodies or something, accumulating a cloud around you like a swarm of angry fire flies that can represent or augment the Spore Count, mainly for helping maintain Spore Count between enemy pods and waves and such, to give you some active method of maintaining your DPS if that's where you want to focus your attention.  Your abilities and attacks could act as transmission vectors perhaps.

14 hours ago, blazinvire said:

I think a Dilution system could potentially work, where Spore-kills spread themselves but reduce the Spore Count when they do, meaning your Spores only fizzle when you run out of targets to infect, or when you don't participate and the Spore Count bleeds itself out.  The infinite duration of Spores might need to be altered in that case, but the primary idea is that you'd have a steady pool of damage that gently increases and decreases depending on your level of activity, instead of having jarring cut-offs and panic-running-spore-spamming to find the next target because everything in line of sight is already dead.
Casting Spores on an already Spored enemy might boost the Spore Count a little bit, where you can convert energy into DPS effectively, and casting Spores on a non-Spored enemy while your Spore Count is still in the positives can drain it with energy cost reduction as per usual.
It'd kind of give you more power over Spore management and alleviate some of the stress.

This idea is genius! It's the best solution idea I've seen on this entire thread! I think we've all noticed that when Spores grows too strong, it sort of kills everything so hard spreading them is hard. I found that in this critical mass, it's best to just wait for it to decay a little. That's annoying to have to do, and I think this idea fixes that as well as preventing Spores from reaching this critical mass to begin with. Not only that, but Spores could actually be effective in early missions again! Since Onslaughts portals can bring the damage back to 0 and Spores stay active, I think this damage dilution would allow Spores to drop down to the proper damage for any level if it has enough enemies to spread into. Spores would just kind of make it's self an optimal damage level, and I think that's brilliant. Although since you had this idea, you probably already thought of everything I just said... Anywho, I have just one question: How much does it dilute per time it spreads on death? Is it percent based? I think a percent might be too harsh, but I think to know for sure it would need tested. Or maybe it could be minus (damage target took from Spores before dying)?

14 hours ago, blazinvire said:

And I'm still fond of the idea of some kind of Spore Collection mechanic from dead bodies or something, accumulating a cloud around you like a swarm of angry fire flies that can represent or augment the Spore Count, mainly for helping maintain Spore Count between enemy pods and waves and such, to give you some active method of maintaining your DPS if that's where you want to focus your attention.  Your abilities and attacks could act as transmission vectors perhaps.

That paints a pretty picture in my mind: a glowing aura with spore particles floating around the beautiful Saryn Prime. I usually have no problem with the decay as it is, but that does sound useful in the scenario you mentioned and probably others. Not sure what the transmission vector part means tho.

4 hours ago, Reclaimer2448 said:

This idea is genius! It's the best solution idea I've seen on this entire thread! I think we've all noticed that when Spores grows too strong, it sort of kills everything so hard spreading them is hard. I found that in this critical mass, it's best to just wait for it to decay a little. That's annoying to have to do, and I think this idea fixes that as well as preventing Spores from reaching this critical mass to begin with. Not only that, but Spores could actually be effective in early missions again! Since Onslaughts portals can bring the damage back to 0 and Spores stay active, I think this damage dilution would allow Spores to drop down to the proper damage for any level if it has enough enemies to spread into. Spores would just kind of make it's self an optimal damage level, and I think that's brilliant. Although since you had this idea, you probably already thought of everything I just said... Anywho, I have just one question: How much does it dilute per time it spreads on death? Is it percent based? I think a percent might be too harsh, but I think to know for sure it would need tested. Or maybe it could be minus (damage target took from Spores before dying)?

That paints a pretty picture in my mind: a glowing aura with spore particles floating around the beautiful Saryn Prime. I usually have no problem with the decay as it is, but that does sound useful in the scenario you mentioned and probably others. Not sure what the transmission vector part means tho.

Translation.

Transmission vectors are the 3-dollar words for, in this case, "spreads on using abilities or weapons" 

6 hours ago, Reclaimer2448 said:

Anywho, I have just one question: How much does it dilute per time it spreads on death? Is it percent based? I think a percent might be too harsh, but I think to know for sure it would need tested. Or maybe it could be minus (damage target took from Spores before dying)?

Huh, didn't think too much about that, just assumed they'd run a few algorithms and find the one that suited them.  There'd be a lot of different ways you could spin it.

Like if you treated it like a damage buffer, where Spore Count was a quantified damage total rather than an obscure multiplier, and every time spores did damage it'd eat into the buffer, it'd be very easy to calculate effective damage.  A system similar to this might make multiple Saryns a pretty awesome combo, as each one could just add to the overall pool of Spores rather individual Spores fighting for dominance.
So you'd cast Spores and it'd slap 500-1000 damage on the buffer and just spread and kill things until it runs out of damage, and you'd have stuff you could do to keep the Spores going without strictly just spamming Spores over and over again.

Just one example though, I kinda prefer Spore Count propagating themselves like an actual plant virus thing like we've got currently, I just want them to be nicer to spread, not feel like I'm being punished for not constantly chasing after them.
Like if Spores killed a target and couldn't find anything else to infect in range, they'd just linger where the corpse is for awhile, and maybe they infect targets that run too close or a Saryn can run past and scoop them up to carry them to another target, make her next Spore cast cheaper or something.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone has said anything about this. But Toxic Lash, does anyone else hate how the recast resets your output? Just a thought but would it be too much for it to function like Chroma's Vex Armor? So when you recast to refresh just your duration you can keep your current percentage? I hate wen my team's "Growing Power" all sync up on a cast and I'm forced to let it all go. Idk just a thought. 

Edited by Jakizu