Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Paying for 4th ability

Flappers

So after looking through the upgrade tree, I discovered that the ultimate ability on the warframes are only available if you pay for it.

Granted you guys need to eat and all, but surely you could go about this a different way?

I would personally, rather spend my money on customization options, to make myself look unique.

If I bought X amount of platinum coins, I still wouldn't go and spend them on going "pro" when the coins could be put to a much better use.

Please don't limit certain abilities/ weapons and items to a cash only model.

It will dwindle the player base down to a small amount, because many will complain about pay to win problems, and others just won't want to spend their coins on something that shouldn't be limited in the first place.

I understand, beta is beta... that is why I am bringing this up now rather than later.

In the hope that this is something that will be changed, and going "pro" will only allow more mod slots. - Not increasing power or anything like that.

Remember... paying for power is never good in a free to play title.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Flappers

Agreed, that shouldn't be something that you pay for and many F2P titles have failed due to their monetization plan. A perfect good example is TF2, you can either buy everything, trade for it or get it in drops. Either way, you can buy it or play a lot to get it. Not that I'd see this fitting into Warframe, but in this case, the abilities could just be ridiculously expensive with credits and locked to a high level, or payed for.

I'd actually use Tribes: Ascend as a good example of F2P done right. Upgrades, new weapons, etc cost a ton, but all can be obtained with both in-game currency and real world money. Tribes is also quite profitable through the sale of packs containing a skin, a class, and a few weapons. Cosmetic upgrades in there are cash only. To be perfectly honest, I'd rather have entire classes locked away behind a credit card barrier than have a hard cap on all classes unless you pay. At the same time, I don't want individual weapons locked away as cash only, like that bolt-launching pistol. Weapons in this case are for all classes, and should be open to all, even if that means the price has to be crazy high using in-game currency.

agree with TownClowne... Tribes: Ascend is a pretty good example for buying cash stuff,, mostly cosmetics stuffs. but we can buy all weapons with in-game credits.

the game will be boring if someone with a load of cash just easily outpowered someone whose been struggling with in-game credits. i've been there. ;p

yet again.. it's F2P :)

Totally agree with above posts. The idea of 1 time fee is most apealing to me. If the cash model stays like this it will surelly turn a lot of people away from the game. Pay once, go Pro and get all the benefits from it. Than you can buy additional (mostly cosmetic i hope) stuff. Becouse, yeah i would pay some cash to get my Pro modes unlocked, but i won't pay that for every Warframe/weapon i get, and that will forse me to stick with 1 combination of frame+weapons to be competitive, which will eventually, make the game boring. Just my 2 cents

Well first I think that paying for "better" stuff and in this case having an additional ability is really better better than having none. I know it is not a pvp based game so there is no actual "pay2win" because you play against NPC who do not care anyway. But if there is going to be something like leaderboard or any sort of it or just simply getting harder mission done better/faster then it can get a trouble with a lot of people. Also more skill"s" bring more varioty into the game. Paying for varioty of how you play will exclude people who won't maybe buy it at first which will make them feel boring faster than others (of course I mean in general and by pretty few people, but they also could become potential customers later).

Edited by Neruell

Personally I don't like the fact you have to pay to unlock the fourth ability. This clearly goes hand in hand with the possibility of having to pay to win depending on the difficulty in the later missions during the final game. The only way I would agree with this is if the Platinum was obtainable without having to use real money and just making it more of a grind. Leave the option to pay if you like but at least let the people who want to spend a lot of time with this game have the ability to play towards earning the high levels instead of being forced to give you our card details. It kind of contradicts what the developers have been saying about Warframe being FTP too.

Some things should cost money (i.e. Colour chooser, special outfits for Warframes, Exp/Currency boosts) but we should never be forced to pay money for such an essential thing. It alienates the targeted playerbase.

We understand you need to make money but do what is tried and true: make items we WANT to buy, not things we HAVE to buy to progress.

Im perfectly fine with pro existing as a concept for people to tweak their characters, but putting the 4th ability in the pro skill tree means that players are missing out on actual content. Maybe have a one time fee that unlocks all pro trees for all warframes. Say you pay ten, twenty dollars, you get that equivalent amount in platinum, plus all of the pro trees. This provides incentive for people to pay money, while eliminating all those pesky microtransactions.

it would be fine if the "PRO" was tiered and it always double it's price based on the Warframe's actual price, so basically Rhino's price is 125k credits, the first tier PRO would cost 250k credits and the following would just double the last value as for the Platinum it would be good as a complement, players that arent willing to wait till get enough credit for their PRO could unlock it with Real money, Platinum