Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

American Spelling in a Canadian Game

Ardhanarishvara

While this is not a bug, I could not find any other localization forums about this. This is something that has been bothering me from the start of my Warframe playtime. Despite the fact that Digital Extremes is founded in Canada, and that a significant portion of the development team and the studio as a whole consists of a considerable quantity of Canada-born employees...

...Why is it that Warframe uses American English instead of Canadian English (derived from UK English)?

I seriously need to speak up about this because a mod using 'Armour' instead of 'Armor' was just submitted as a void-damned BUG. AND RESPONDED TO COMPLETELY SERIOUSLY AS SUCH. EVEN MARKED AS "FIXED" AS IF IT WAS SOMETHING THAT NEEDED TO BE CORRECTED.

Tennocon is hosted in Canada and is going to be filled primarily with Canadians. A significant quantity of the playerbase is going to consist of Canadians, too. So why is this game developed by a company in Canada, staffed by Canadians to the point where public events are held in Canada and visited primarily by Canadians, using American spelling?

Why?

If there's a better forum for this question to be lodged, please put it there. I'd like this to be available for the community-at-large to see.

Edited by Ardhanarishvara

1 minute ago, xXDeadsinxX said:

Why does it really matter? It’s not a game-breaking or anything that’s actually serious, it’s literally just spelling, that’s all.

1. I think consistency and standards are important.

2. From a certain angle, it could be considered erosion of culture. For example, the closer to the American border you get, the more you find Canadians not knowing that it's pronounced 'Zed', not 'Zee'.

5 minutes ago, Ardhanarishvara said:

2. From a certain angle, it could be considered erosion of culture. For example, the closer to the American border you get, the more you find Canadians not knowing that it's pronounced 'Zed', not 'Zee'.

I mean... they are based in Ontario. I'm literally within driving distance to the city they're based in.