Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Controller bindings not saving

Xikiri

Hello. I recently had to get a fresh installation of Windows. After installing Warframe on the new OS, I found that controller bindings don't save (at least, they don't for me). Many hotfixes have come and gone, and I haven't yet seen anyone talk about this. Is this a known issue, or am I just unlucky?

Video example: 

when the keypad update came out i wasn't having this issue, but visiting a friend right now and having the same issue on his laptop. tried multiple things, but only got one button to change, but afterwords couldn't get anything else to

Your not the only one my friend. The exact same thing is going on with me right now. I've been going nuts in the Simulacrum trying to figure it out. DE I realize you want us to play your game a certain way its obvious in the way your change(nerf) warframes and abilities to increase the playtime of your users. But I draw the line when it comes to "custom" controller keys. If it a bug this thread has now made you aware of it. We don't need separate overlay for selecting powers when we can select the power and use a button like we have been the last 4 years. 

I'm 100% aware that bumping threads without additional info is frowned upon, but uhh...I'd really like a fix for or reversion of this change. I'd really like to play your game, DE. Please make it so that I, and many others, can.

On 2018-05-28 at 5:47 PM, Xikiri said:

I'm 100% aware that bumping threads without additional info is frowned upon, but uhh...I'd really like a fix for or reversion of this change. I'd really like to play your game, DE. Please make it so that I, and many others, can.

Amen to that, brother. This is basically how it's been since they introduced this new controller binding scheme that you have posted above. Ya wanted more info? Well, you'll love some of this. ...
Submitted a ticket to support. (DE)Nate responded and suggested closing the client, then going to the local appdata folder and deleting 3 files before both optimizing and verifying the cache from the launcher options, the first being a long alphanumerical folder at the top and then the Editor.cfg and EE.cfg files. It took literally 3 attempts to get the bindings to save. However, after shutting the game down and then returning to it later that evening, I was beset with these same issues all over again, along with new ones like the "pause menu" immediately opening then closing after pressing the start button on my gamepad. 
I'm 44 and have severe arthritis, so being able to use my Logitech F710 to play this game is a huge help, as using keyboard and mouse just simply isn't viable after 5 minutes. This whole situation has me incredibly aggravated as there wasn't anything wrong with the old rebinding interface. I don't need a pretty display of an xbox1 controller that I don't even own in the first place. Also with this new setup, you can no longer leave a binding empty as I preferred to do with my L3 as I tend to lean on that stick a bit heavy.

I'm just hoping to hell this is resolved expediantly.

I was hoping for the same issue to be fixed as well. I haven't "played" since this went live! Zombie I totally understand your pain I'm a console convert myself...Never learn on pc and don't really intend to even IF DE doesn't change it back again or "patch" these changes. I can't play as I'm used to...at all. But hey been playing HD Devil May Cry..THAT games needs NO hotfixes. Whoops anyone else hear that? Just PLEASE change it back DE I cant even use any abilities for heavens sake. If I wanted to play a straight 3rd person shooter with no powers involved I would play Gears Of War! Another awesome game...No hotfixes

After their first big change to controllers, I lost the ability to save mappings.  Two updates back (where they switched back to "A" for confirm from "X", I got it back and was able to save.

I made all the changes at once and saved - so don't know if any further changes will still save and am hesitant to even try lest it reset back to default which is what it was doing before that patch.

I'd forgotten to add this bit into the video, but...
If I were to make the Select/Back button "Power Menu," it locks my UI and forces me to shut down my game. I'm actually super confused as to how something like this was implemented without at least a hint of testing, and there's no way a person could convince me otherwise unless there was video proof that someone actually went out of their way to take a look for at least 8 seconds. Come on, DE. We know you're working on Sacrifice, and that's super cool n' all, but what's the point when you're alienating a part of your playerbase by accidentally removing their ability to play in the first place? I have a major distaste for the default controls and refuse to use them. I can not and will not play this game in this current state.

If this keeps up, I'm afraid I'll have to uninstall the game for good. I've actively chosen to stay away from the game for a six-month break, and it won't be all that difficult to put it down for good. (Not like losing a single player for any reason is a lot to lose, but that's beside the point.)

Edited by Xikiri

15 hours ago, 2old4gamez said:

Likewise. Game is currently too frustrating to play due to the requirement to rebind controller for every single mission. 😕

Wait. You're telling me you can actually rebind your controls and let it stay for any set duration? I can't even have that much, so you at least got me beat there!

Not just yet another hotfix, but even a sub-hotfix shortly after. Three different fixes for controller use, and not one of them applies to being able to remap controller bindings. This is just disappointing. So much love from the devs for their game, but damn sometimes it really doesn't feel like they have the same for their players.

Same issue here, came back after like a mounth break to farm the new warframe and get ready for the next patch but turns out i can't play the game propely because my controller keybind changed and i can't change them anymore back the way they used to be... I can't even go into my operator for godsake, one of the basic things you need to do to play this game.It would be nice to have a fix before the next big patch, some people just don't want to play with a keyboard you know ...

Hey all,

Had the exact problem as in the video above and found a stupid simple solution: use the controller to select and save the options. 

Once I selected the desired button-> needed function-> "back"-> "OK" all with the controllers' analog stick and buttons, they would remain bound to the new config.

Hope its the same for others, using a xbox360 controller for ref.

On 2018-06-10 at 11:30 AM, RoachKiller42 said:

Hey all,

Had the exact problem as in the video above and found a stupid simple solution: use the controller to select and save the options. 

Once I selected the desired button-> needed function-> "back"-> "OK" all with the controllers' analog stick and buttons, they would remain bound to the new config.

Hope its the same for others, using a xbox360 controller for ref.

Holy crap it works. It works! Why does this work?! Thank you for letting me/us know! I've been wanting to play this game again for over a month. 😄

On 2018-06-12 at 3:28 AM, Xikiri said:

Holy crap it works. It works! Why does this work?! Thank you for letting me/us know! I've been wanting to play this game again for over a month. 😄

No problem! It's a totally silly bug/design but i'm glad there's a simple solution, if a weird one. Enjoy the fresh update!

• 2 months later...

I started playing Warframe about a month ago and just bought an Xbox 360 controller and if I'm posting here, the reason is obvious.  I switched the function of the thumb triggers which was when I saw that my changes weren't saving as when I wanted to change the movement of my warframe from the left thumb pad to the directional pad instead and saw that my thumb triggers setting were back at the default.   I changed the function of a two other buttons and like all of you, the changes I made did not save....very frustrating, each time you want to changed a button binding, you have to change ALL them all.

• 1 month later...

I am experiencing this same issue, what the... I had my years old setup and wanted to move my bindings, what have I done, it's unplayable now, it won't stop resetting to default config and it only saves half  the changes I make turning half the changed keys to null. I'm on a 360 controller, so what the actual Grineer is happening here?

NVM, I tried the fix suggested above and it worked, still, isn't it time to fix such a weird and important bug? (basic controls that would literally make the game unplayable)

Edited by MechFreak

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all!
Maybe i'm late but i think i've found out the "bug" (at least for the Steam version)

Open Steam, go to library, right click on Warframe, select "modify steam controller configuration" (don't know if it's named correctly, don't use the eng version)
Now rebind your controller and that's all!
Look out especially for the "outer ring" option for the left stick, because this one caused trouble with sprinting in game and ivara's prowl.

Don't know if this can help you, but helped me alot.

P.S: don't know if this is relevant, but i've the controller enabled in big picture

I'm playing the Steam version using an Xbox One wireless controller for shooting, melee, movement, powers, & context actions. But I also to use a keyboard & mouse for navigating the menus.

For some strange reason, I cannot choose to extract or stay at the end of an endless mission (e.g: endless defense on Taranis, Void).  Neither my controller nor mouse allow me to select an option to stay or extract.  I'm always forced to fail this type of mission because I wind up being left alone & then I have to abort the mission.

I don't seem to have any problems using the controller, keyboard or mouse during all of the other types of missions.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2018-10-10 at 1:48 AM, T1G3R131 said:

Hey all!
Maybe i'm late but i think i've found out the "bug" (at least for the Steam version)

Open Steam, go to library, right click on Warframe, select "modify steam controller configuration" (don't know if it's named correctly, don't use the eng version)
Now rebind your controller and that's all!
Look out especially for the "outer ring" option for the left stick, because this one caused trouble with sprinting in game and ivara's prowl.

Don't know if this can help you, but helped me alot.

P.S: don't know if this is relevant, but i've the controller enabled in big picture

This actually worked for me! Thank you so much! I had this same problem (again). Earlier I was able to fix it by doing the bindings with controller, but now it didn't help. Setting the bindings on steam did the trick!