Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What category of weapon should I focus on as a new player?

StableMortal

Question

11 answers to this question

No easy answer as you will want to develope all diciplines and with a few choices. Not going to get far with 1 primary, 1 secondary, 1 mellee your fourth ability.

For weapons that go the distance as you rank and forma, Hek and Atterax are good low level keepers.

Personally I went through the low rank weapons and ranked them to 30 then sold em, Atterax being the only one I bought again.

As I ranked up I kept my 1st promo code weapon as it had a free catalyst, the heatsword, use code FREESWORD for that. 

Used the Braton Prime, Lex Prime and Lato prime a lot, whatever prime weapons I found the parts for as I did relics and progressed. But found some missions were better approached with specific weapons. 

My current faves are Ingis, Hek, Braton Prime, Lex Prime, Silva & Aegis Prime, Galatine Prime and Atterax.

Edited by SastusBulbas

Depends which weapon type you prefer. 

In the Primary category, we have Auto, semi-auto and burst rifles (either Sniper, SMGs, ARs or LMGs), Grenade/Rocket Launchers, Bows, Shotguns, Beam weapons and some gunstaff weapons.

Same in the Secondary category, but instead of bows it's Throwing Knives. 

In the melee category.... well there is so much choice that it's hard to even list them all (especialy when you're as lazy as me).

Imo, you should try the MK1 weapons and some others to see what type of weapon you prefer in each category. Even some weapons that look weak at first sight might be some of your favs at some point, who knows? I personnaly fell in love with the Strun when I tried the MK1 version (after a year and a half in Warframe), even tho it was weak. I even have Aklatos on steroids in my arsenal that I use from time to time, so yeah, try all the stuff that you want and keep what you like :). 

47 minutes ago, Blade_Wolf_16 said:

Same in the Secondary category, but instead of bows it's Throwing Knives. 

And a pistol crossbow family of 3: Ballistica, Rakta Ballistica and Ballistica Prime.

Speaking of crossbows, anyone renember when people first discovered that you can put Thunderbolt on the Attica? Ah, the old days.

Basically if you are looking for a good gun that works well early and keeps doing well throughout the game, get a Hek. It's still endgame viable so if you spend any Forma on it it won't go to waste.

Other than that, if you like a weapon, use that weapon. Nothing is more valuable than a mechanic that works for you and that you find fun to use. The Latron is a bad gun overall, but I use it often because it speaks to me machanically. Everyone I presume has a gun like that, just take our time to find it. It's a part of the game. ^^

Shotguns are easy for beginning players to use as the useful mods are easy to get and they don't need a lot of forma.  I recommend the Hek.  You can have an end game worthy build for a one forma investment.  Hek also has less drop off at range than other shotguns while delivering very high single shot damage numbers that you need to tackle tough content.  

Primary

I use the Hek (shotty) a lot. I also use a regular Soma (auto rifle) a lot as well. 

Secondary

Lex Prime. I'll admit I haven't done much in the way of Secondaries. 

Melee

If you have it, the Broken War is nice. I also use the Orthos Prime. Lots of people recommend the Atterax, but I just can't get into it for some reason. 

In Warframe, there are surprisingly few weapons that a huge part of the community agrees are completely useless (mire, seer pistol, to name a few...) I have many hours in the game, and still break out my dual zorens for sorties every now and then, more so then the dual kama primes, which are statistically better weapons in the same classification. ~98% of the weapons in the game can be used all the way up to end game with enough dedication. Some need more love then others, however, and some are passed up for their alternate varients (i.e primed, prisma, wraith, etc), but are still very viable if you so choose to put in the time and resources. This game is very good about letting you complete all progression content and quests (barring super high wave endless missions, which are just for bragging rights and leaderboard pushers) by playing however you want.