The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question about criticals

(XBOX)Sharkles

Question

8 answers to this question

1. Depends on the weapon

2. Red crits occur if you have 201% or higher crit chance.
1-100% - White (not crit) - Yellow (normal crit) numbers.
101-200% - Yellow - Orange (crit crit) numbers.
201-300% Orange - Red (crit crit crit) numbers.
300%+ is always Red, but damage still multiplies for higher crit chance, 400% or 500%, you name it (whether it's possible or not is up to various factors, but it's there).

29 minutes ago, (XB1)Sharkles said:

I do. I guess I was mostly asking for future Riven rolls.

Depends on the numbers, really. A 160% crit chance is stronger than a 10% crit damage; a 160% crit damage is stronger than a 10% crit chance - this much is obvious, but where's the threshold?

It also depends strongly on your other mods.

The only suggestion I can give you for that is to go on Warframe Builder and insert your Riven candidates and look at how the DPS changes.

2 hours ago, (XB1)Sharkles said:

1. Which is more important crit chance or crit damage?

Both are important, but which you favor is personal opinion and has a lot to do with your play style.   Increasing chance is going to smooth out your damage and make it more consistent.  Say you have 50% chance that means for each shot you have a coin flip on whether you do high damage (crit) or don't.  Increase to 100% and each shot now does that high damage.  The same continues to apply for going higher than 100% because of how orange and red crits work.

Increasing the crit damage is all about making the damage spike for when you do crit super high.  When you don't crit your damage will feel really paltry in comparison.  Sometimes you just want a massive damage spike, especially if your crit chance is already high enough to be fairly consistent.

Since bows can reach 100%+ crit chance easily this part is less important, but below 100% it's consistency vs burst, with the important factors besides crit being fire rate and multishot. Obviously on slow firing weapons, a crit vs a non-crit can mean life or death, but the more probability rolls you have the more you can focus on crit damage.

As for above 100%, it's important to note that orange and red crits have diminishing returns, they're always a bit less then double the crit multiplier, and depending on the base stats it might be more worth it to boost the damage of yellow or orange crits instead of trying to push into red crits.