Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dev Workshop: Upcoming Console Virtual Cursor Changes & D-Pad Functionality (for all Platforms)!

[DE]Danielle

the new interface is slow and clumsy.  The bumpers (i.e. L1 & R1) don't work consistently.  I want the shortcut buttons (i.e. triangle to upgrade, square to customize appearance, etc.) back! This new cursor is two steps backwards.  PLEASE FIX IT ASAP!!!!

it use to be just one click of a button and your there!

now i gotta drag this cursor to point it on my customization button so I can use it, now i gotta drag it back to the item to see if the colors that i chose looked and feels good on it. ohh nvm i think i prefer this color ok lets drag this cursor back over there and drag it back again..

hmmm seems like my clan chat has a lot to say let me see and read what they are saying... why cant i scroll up is my right stick broken?... ohh i gotta put the cursor on the chat box first before i can scroll up.....

this really sucks DE!

I understand that DE are PC players, but this is console cursors are ment to be played with a mouse which we dont have and not only that you put the control of the cursor on the LEFT stick. did you guys tested it first by playing it on console before you drop this on us?

I only get really annoyed while fashionframing.

Not being able to rotate your frame until you move the cursor over it makes it very frustrating and unintuitive.

Fix that and allow the menus to scroll up and down with the d-pad as you move through items and i think that would be a good start. 

It will still need a lot of fine tuning, but those are my main 2 gripes.

I hate this. Cannot put it in other words.

Can be turned off?

Also, is not like I want to get used. When I start to play Warframe I've get the feeling of the interfase real fast. Was natural. This feels weird and not intuitive. 

Is slower. To check how a syndana looks on my frame I have to drag the inventory, drag the cursor over my frame to rotate it, get back to the inventory to pick up another syndana... repeat.

Repeat this for every menu. 

This are consoles, DE.

After reading through more of the thread after my previous post, I can't say I'm surprised by any of it; this is exactly the feedback you got from us controller users on PC and I don't know why you expected anything different from the console players. This goes well far and beyond just a simple "change is scary and we hate it" kneejerk response. The controls are awful and even Steve has said in the tweets that you posted that you know the controls are inferior.

And believe me, I get it, you wanted to change something and you put it into the PC pool to test first. The percentage of the playerbase who use controllers is small, so the damage done if everyone hates it would be minimal. But here's the thing: WE ALL HATE IT. And console players don't have any other choice here. Yet you chose to push the changes as-is anyway?

Here's my big question to the development team: Why can't we have both? PS4 and Xbox controllers both have two analogue sticks and a D-Pad. Why not map the virtual cursor to the left stick, scrolling to the right stick, and keep the old D-Pad functions mapped strictly to the D-Pad. For keyboard/mouse users, just return the old W/A/S/D and arrow key scrolling. Bam, done, unification complete.

And don't give us some guff about that not being possible, because it very much is. The analogue sticks and D-Pad already function very differently in-game, and your control profiles have a distinction between menu-based controls and game controls. I'm very familiar with that given the amount of detailed support you gave to Steam's controller profile writer, which has separate tabs for in-game controls and menu controls.

Nothing you can say to spin this is going to be convincing. The vast majority of your users hate this, practically everyone who it has affected has said so. It's time to admit that this was a bad idea and fix it.

33 minutes ago, Kubrowe said:

After reading through more of the thread after my previous post, I can't say I'm surprised by any of it; this is exactly the feedback you got from us controller users on PC and I don't know why you expected anything different from the console players. This goes well far and beyond just a simple "change is scary and we hate it" kneejerk response. The controls are awful and even Steve has said in the tweets that you posted that you know the controls are inferior.

And believe me, I get it, you wanted to change something and you put it into the PC pool to test first. The percentage of the playerbase who use controllers is small, so the damage done if everyone hates it would be minimal. But here's the thing: WE ALL HATE IT. And console players don't have any other choice here. Yet you chose to push the changes as-is anyway?

Here's my big question to the development team: Why can't we have both? PS4 and Xbox controllers both have two analogue sticks and a D-Pad. Why not map the virtual cursor to the left stick, scrolling to the right stick, and keep the old D-Pad functions mapped strictly to the D-Pad. For keyboard/mouse users, just return the old W/A/S/D and arrow key scrolling. Bam, done, unification complete.

And don't give us some guff about that not being possible, because it very much is. The analogue sticks and D-Pad already function very differently in-game, and your control profiles have a distinction between menu-based controls and game controls. I'm very familiar with that given the amount of detailed support you gave to Steam's controller profile writer, which has separate tabs for in-game controls and menu controls.

Nothing you can say to spin this is going to be convincing. The vast majority of your users hate this, practically everyone who it has affected has said so. It's time to admit that this was a bad idea and fix it.

Thanks for voicing your concerns for us console tenno! Just read through the comments and it seems like everyone thinks it's bad except for the people who let anything slip just because they love the game so much. At first I thought it was just not tested extensively but learning that they even let the PC players have a go with it and getting negative feedback makes this whole situation even worse! This whole new UI control implementation without the actual new UI is baffling! How can the console team not see this coming and let it go through boggles my mind. Seriously, is there even a console QA team at DE? I love Warframe and I've never wanted to take a break because some kind of new feature, only content drought, but I can't play this unintuitive mess right now. And the worst is that I can't even fashionframe! F***! 

Navigation should be intuitive. These changes are not.  I can see how using a mouse and this cursor makes sense, but an analog stick is not the same thing as a mouse. 

Not having Controller shortcuts for buttons (in the Arsenal), and forcing a drag-and-drop system is not a design your average console player is used to.  This is unintuitive and confusing for something that should feel natural.

The UI update for consoles is difficult to work with and I'm not sure how it passed cert. I'd much rather see Warframe be a PC exclusive game, and I'll quit playing. It's the only game I play though, so it's going to suck to have to stop. I use controllers, like console cats are supposed to. I leave the mouse and keyboard to the towers and monitors. It's like making me learn trig when I only need to know basic math. I get there are people who do use a mouse and keyboard on consoles. That's super strange, but ok. No big deal. It's just not for me, and it sucks that I feel like I'm being pushed into something so unnatural. It's too weird and not something I will enjoy making myself learn how to do. It's a huge red flag when I come to the forum to give feedback and discover there are actual tutorial videos on how to use a controller with this game. I'm like, look at the balls on DE. Destiny did something similar with the cursor and I hated that too, but it didn't require so many selections and menus to navigate, like Warframe, so I dealt with it....until I tried Warframe. Then I was done. This is the only game I've played since and I have several times the money dropped on this game in 3 years than Destiny 1 and it's DLC's. Maybe I'm too old school, or maybe just too close minded. This UI update does super suck though. 

So I've been trying to grow accustomed to the functionality of the new UI and feel that in some regards it's an entire hit or miss. When it comes to mapping the solar system it is great and easy to function with, the ability to zoom inwards to the choice planet is also a very nice touch. However when it comes to the functionality of setting up loadouts, changing weapons, and reworking the mods I feel as if it is geared solely for those with PC gaming experience which I severely lack. I wonder if there would be a later installment in which you can customize the usage of the UI system in regards to loadouts, weapons, and the such seeing as in players such as myself (Dinosaurs by standard gaming logic of today) may find the alterations made beyond frustrating. 

Hi, can't you guys just make the thing of the cursor for consoles optional? Like, adding an option to turn ON or OFF the cursor so in that way consoles players can feel more comfortable while playing or something else? The cursor is annoying on consoles.

The UX/UI is horrible. Extra button presses, removal of d-pad support, removal of button press support, and the mandatory use of the sticks on the PS4 are obtrusive and unnecessary. I am a Software Engineer that, among other things, works with UX/UI for the Restaurant POS industry. Making users have to press more buttons or take longer to select menus may seem like a nit pic, but those few seconds to move the sticks and that extra button press adds up.

Want to leave my squad? Cannot touch up twice. Move those sticks

Want to upgrade my warframe? Cannot press triangle. Move those sticks.

Want to view a relic? Cannot move with the d-pad. Move those sticks and press X twice!

If you take 3 seconds, or longer, per user action, and you make 200 actions in a gaming session, you just lost 10 minutes of your life. If you have to make an extra button press as well, that is 200 you did not have to do before. If you play 200 gaming sessions like this a year, that is over 30 hours lost to the new menu system A YEAR. Also an extra FORTY THOUSAND button presses a year.

Could you imagine telling a bartender "Hey, every action in the POS takes 3-5 seconds longer AND extra button presses. Have fun!" They would throw my company out of there so fast.

This UX/UI is a step back and I am not playing anymore until the changes are reverted or we get an option to disable it.

im not sure where to put this buts more of a question sorry if its in wrong post i dont come on here much cus my pc sucks but i love using keyboard and mouse but is there a way to play on counsole with a mouse and keyboard for warframe id love that but idk if there is a way hope there is

Just going to carry over what I have said elsewhere:

There are parts of the UI change I feel I could get used to, but other parts that are downright unintuitive for a console game.

Having to "double click" on anything in a console game is unintuitive, and yet, you have to do so when selecting things in Arsenal.  Drag and drop is not a console action.  It's a PC action. That's unintuitive.  The inability to use D left-and-right to incriment menu items (i.e. Options sliders) is bothersome. Console players don't use "mouse" to select a position on a slider bar...

A full revert is not necessary. The option to chose old or new is what's needed.  It's like Archwing controls.  There was a "Legacy" option added in menu, because people did not like the new layout.

I like the cursor..I had some issues with it at first, but I know by now with all the updates in the past that you play around with the changes and focus on your normal warfare routine till it feels right or horribly wrong....

So I cranked up it's speed and the cursor size in the options menu and messed around with it. I found that I really liked the ease of how it can pin point other players in the chat windows.. this will go a long way in helping player find other players for recruiting and trade...let alone getting rid of the spammer or the occasional and really hostile trolls in region chat just focusing on racism and vileness. No scrolling down for a mile to find them.. instead, poof and gone...

I would like a faster way of getting out of the end mission screens with the Leave Squad prompt under our names, it was faster the old way, and it feel like it should still be something you can flip to quickly to avoid the next mission prompt by somebody wanting to hit the second or third sortie mission, while you have to make some arsenal adjustments.  Not being able to spin the model in the arsenal is a little off putting until you realize you have to put the cursor on that part of the screen... I'd suggest being able to spin it regardless.. it's something we've had forever and it's something everyone likes...you know fashion frame and all.

I got used to it pretty fast, so I could go any way the Dev decide on this, I would keep the cursor just the ease of trade chat and checking linked items, let alone instantly contacting the buyer/seller. Plus I know it's the first component of the new UI that is coming down the pike... So a lot is invested in this.

Anyways, I'm sure everyone will put in some really positive feedback and what will come of it all will make DeSteve's day that much more happier...yeah, I know...not happening..

I like the idea but really, this is a bit of a downgrade for both console users. It's PC controls on console, it's just not right. I, for one, would much rather this be reverted back. I have no problem adapting to something but when it's something that's designed for something other than what I'm playing on, it's just hard. We just don't need a PC like menu navigation on console, otherwise, we'd just play PC.

Archived