Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dev Workshop: Upcoming Console Virtual Cursor Changes & D-Pad Functionality (for all Platforms)!

[DE]Danielle

OK, so I don't like change, and that's my problem, so, after playing for a few hours last night and this morning, I figure I'll get used to the changes.

Speed wise, I actually think most things are only a little slower, but should point out its actually pretty good for certain things in chat boxes, like just clicking on the linked items in trade, or just clicking on a name in a chat box to open a menu rather than having to scroll through a list of names.

But I really don't like the double press x to select relics for fissures, and I also encountered a problem when trying to accept a squad invite with any other menu open. Basically, I couldn't seem to accept the invite until I closed all menus, but then the invite box was gone also, so I had to ask for another inv. Took about 4 tries to actually be able to accept invite.

Also, surely dragging mods isn't needed, even just clicking with the cursor then moving the cursor and clicking where we want the mod to go would be easier

16 minutes ago, (PS4)dst123daniel said:

But I really don't like the double press x to select relics for fissures, and I also encountered a problem when trying to accept a squad invite with any other menu open. Basically, I couldn't seem to accept the invite until I closed all menus, but then the invite box was gone also, so I had to ask for another inv. Took about 4 tries to actually be able to accept invite.

Also, surely dragging mods isn't needed, even just clicking with the cursor then moving the cursor and clicking where we want the mod to go would be easier

This is really at the heart of MY issue with the changes b/c these things have really impacted my play process.

That being said, I do really appreciate Steve's tweet about shorter gaps between PC updates and console—simultaneous cross-platform updates a la Trove could really bolster this community IMHO.

All my complaining aside, I do trust DE to "right the ship", streamline end-user and dev processes, and improve the game overall.

Good luck devs ❤️

I'm not one to dogpile on something like this, but the new UI, with lack of D-pad like it was, is frustrating.

D-padding down to select something was quick and easy. Dragging the cursor over to a menu item is easy enough, not very quick or intuitive. Sometimes the D-pad works, sometimes it doesn't. I noticed that R2 still works if you're in the Arsenal->Warframe, but not much else.

An example of frustration is trying to leave a squad. Before it was D-pad up, hit X. Now, it's drag the cursor over, top left making sure not to hit 'show profile' and then clicking on Leave Squad. We're talking seconds, first world problems but for the first time since I've been playing (6 months), I called it an early night. 😕

Navigation, Arsenal, Foundry, Relics and chat are the areas where my user experience suffered.

But I dunno. If you say I have to power through it....maybe it'll get better. Again, seconds and 1st world problems but I think right now I'm 50/50 on whether I want to keep playing. Well, maybe, 75/25. 😉

Good luck with it, devs! I'm rooting for you.

EDIT: any chance I can get my Ayatan Sculputres that I used as decoration in my Private Quarters back to sell to Maroo? XD  They're still there, just inaccessible.

There has to be a way to turn the Cursor off, its horrible and clumsy...I cant do anything in my ship without it taking 10 times the effort when it used to take me 1 sec to change a loadout or mod up. This is the first time that you have taken a step back and made a big mistake. we dont have a mouse like PC to do things, we have a control and mouse functions for a controller isnt a great idea at all

DE i do not not be speaking for all players but console players do not need a cursor we dont use mouses. This slows getting into and out of menus verse quick button acces like you had prior at least reinstate the quick button's and let people choice what they want. I feel this makes the game easyer for pc players but worse for console player. I have already run into bugs during fissure runs where i cant select my reward i want because the cursor isnt responding to the game. But keeps pushing right on the rewards and even the dpad cant keep it still. Please remove this cancerous cursor from the reward screen i's biggest flaw is it slows down acces even if you increase cursor speed you can run into the bug i had before. PLEASE REMOVE

l hate this new format. Awkward, extremely clunky, and super-slow motion "virtual cursor". Why ruin/disturb/dysfunction the original superb magnificent console xbox controls? Why on God's earth? l had newcomers to DE Warframe LOVING THE ORIGINAL BRILLIANT xbox console but now dont want to play warframe any more! Ask me why DE ruin the original sublime UI? l cannot explain the non-sensical "changes". Dear Digital Extremes, can you restore/re-instate/give us back to your loyal faithful xbox players the option to switch back permanently to the tremendous Original Controller format, please? The original D PADS positions were Perfect!  But  now are rendered non-existent.Please, as previous xbox warframe players have eloquently commented with passionate depth and details RESTORE to the superb Original xbox console settings, please?  Will you listen to your console players or will simply ignore us? l have spent hard-earned monies supporting DE development and although we - are the supposively the so-called "minority" warframe players - We Love Warframe With lmmense Passionate Care Devotion And Love. I rarely post - as l, like the majority of console players, put up with the bugs, nerfing of weapons or warframes but this really upsets and hurts. Why? Pc/console "unification" or absent-mindedness/laziness? I still like WF - bought me into video gaming. In fact, the game that l Love the most! Please take into your consideration, your devoted console players heartfelt pleas to reverse this vacuous decision, please Digital Extremes?

"Using the D-Pad will snap your cursor to whatever button is nearest to it at that time.

• This is also dependant on which directional button (up/down, left/right) you press. 

It doesn't work, It takes so much more time to move the cursor near the button with the controller, then I have to re-position my thumb (the same joystick thumb to move the cursor) to press the D-Pad for a /Potentially [in]Correct/ selection, it's absolutely nothing like mouse movement with a wrist motion, its unnatural, slow and annoying.  

You all made a big mistake, and need to fix it immediately.

I'm one of the few console players that actually welcome the new changes. Sure it's jarring at first but I can see where this is headed and I'm sure it will be a much more fluid intuative system once fully implemented. I really don't have anything to complain about other than the extreme overreaction by alot of people as opposed to level headed feed back. 

I am courious when and in what form full mouse and keyboard settings will be implemented, I've been toying with it already and it feels good, just need to be able to bind keys and tweak sensitivity settings since PS4 has zero way to do this on it's Os. As a long time PC player in the past and a huge Unreal fan back in the day, I can't wait to be bullet jumping and wall latching all over warframe with builds and weapons i've always wanted to use in such a manner but can't achieve with a controller set up. 

I'm also curious how far mouse and keyboard interactions will go with the bulk of the UI outside of gameplay, i.e. Will we be able to just hit enter after pulling up the chat screen to type? Or will we always be stuck having to hit square on controller prior to typing on keyboard ? There are some other areas in the UI atm that the mouse has no interaction with such as the ability to click on some command icons throughout multiple menus. I'll make a list of the ones I encounter from here on out and post them if  the upcoming additions to the UI overhaul don't seem to include them.

Keep up the great work, you guys have quite the unique game.

Trying to make sure DE sees the concerns I posted in another, longer thread:

In general, EVERYTHING in menus and selection screens takes longer and is made harder to achieve by this update.

I find it difficult to believe that anyone on DE staff who actually uses a Controller to play WF regularly would think that these changes are an improvement.

I admit, when I first heard about the proposed changes, they did sound good/useful. But in practice/actuality... not so much.

I am extremely disappointed.

Apologies if any of these have already been pointed out (but better safe than sorry):

a) Back in Orbitor at End of Mission: Cannot quickly "Leave Squad" using the cursor. Need d-pad use for this.

b) Reward Selection for Fissure Missions: Cannot quickly select reward using the cursor. Need d-pad use for this(!).

c) Arsenal Previews:  Can no longer see what a helmet will look like on the Warframe (just shows the helmet itself).

d) Arsenal Previews: Can no longer immediately see the next item selected (am forced to click on each one, rather than it automatically showing itself when its selection box is highlighted).

e) Arsenal Warframe/Weapon selection: Am forced to click on each one, rather than automatically seeing a frame/weapon when its selection box is highlighted.

I think that's it at the moment.

For PC users, the new UI's dichotomy between controller and KBM seems gratuitous.

Seamless transitioning and even chording between mouse and controller would be really nice. For example, in the modding UI, I'd like the ability to find a mod with the mouse, and use mouse+A-button to drag it.

Doing that may sound strange, but I literally have both the v-mouse and a real mouse at my fingertips. I have a Steam Controller, and the right trackpad is a mouse.

So in the menus, I can move the cursor faster and more precisely than the v-mouse, but it's harder to do anything once the cursor has arrived. Using the mouse toggles the input mode into KBM mode, and controller input behaves oddly until the input mode toggles back to Console.

Or if I want to use the full controller effectively, I have to keep the input mode in Controller mode. This means giving up the better "real" mouse input under my right thumb.

I'm considering a third option, which is to remap the entire controller to eliminate console input in Menu mode. I think hackable consoles also use Menu mode, so getting one layout to work well in both places might be tricky.

Edit: Also, when the input mode switches to KBM, the displayed UI remains in Console mode. The UI styling still shows controller tips (which controller button to press) instead of clickable words. There's a chance that some things might be impossible to do in this situation.

I'm also concerned that the controller reformation coming with the Sacrifice update might break anything I do to work around the current UI. Getting controller layouts right can take a lot of time and effort.

DE, I understand these changes are to streamline the UI across both PC and Console, but this is a net negative for console players.
I have ragequit several times already out of sheer frustration from various activities (unable to accept invites, incorrectly selecting relics ect.) and have noticed im playing less and less since this patch dropped.

Please give us back the same functionality we had. 

This new courser just does not work on console so much my friends left the game and I am considering leaving too if it is not removed and don't say you can't cause you put it in and it can be removed. Lately the only thing I have done is collect login rewards since this courser update and as for my friends they wen't back to destiny 2. Please just revert back to old before you lose everyone on console. Also  WHY did you think a courser would work on console did you even test it first to see if it was better or was it just a last second thing that you thought would work I mean seriously how would a courser be faster. You tried to fix something that wasn't broke and ended up breaking everything don't you know the old saying.

to me the solution is simple, give us the same functionality we had before, and the new cursor, once we start using the dpad the cursor goes away until we move the cursor again, it comes back, so we could switch back and forth easily, i think this would make everyone happy 

I have put a more detailed complaint in the mega thread but since this is the dev workshop I figured I would also post some of my complaints here in hopes it gets to someone who is working on the UI changes in the future. 

Over the last week, we have gotten little to no support for this horrible update save the hotfix that came out shortly after the release. This hotfix made the new UI somewhat usable and that is all. An interface that just usable is not a good interface. 

This UI change should have gone through some sort of user testing before being released to console. It is my understanding that the PC release was also riddled with complaints but they have options console players do not. I don't have a problem with PC getting new quests or releases earlier than console since from what I understand it is significantly easier to push updates to PC than to console but listen to the player base when they say something is horrible and PLEASE!!!  for the love of sweet baby Clem playtest any UI changes before releasing them to console.

PC players have options for their controller interface of choice, console players DO NOT!!!

I am not asking to revert to the old interface like many on the forums do. I am asking to fix what is broken and get this new interface working intuitively and please when something is this broken give us frequent updates. 

Think about how you are handling the sacrifice update. Someone asked why the update hadn't been released yet even though it's only Wednesday and nowhere did anyone say the update was coming on Wednesday. I have seen Twitter and forum apologies and justifications ensuring players the update is on track even saying we will be updated again tomorrow. but with this UI change, we get we are working on it and expect this to be better in the next update. 

Are we really going to have to wait 3 months until update 23.01.2 before we get this fixed?

I stopped playing Warframe when the new UI was released because I knew they would fix it quickly...

It's been a week now and all you've done is got rid of my ability to name and copy loadouts, as well as select the archwing menu, and somehow get rid of more Dpad usage in the menus.

I really don't understand what you're trying to do here. Everyone is complaining and leaving and you're just telling them to "Get used to it." That's not how this works. You messed up a perfectly good and functional UI so you could what? Decrease the time between PC and Console updates? No. There has to be another reason, because I don't think alienating a large part of your player-base is worth having as horrible a UI as this. I would rather wait 3 MONTHS between updates (Same time-difference between PC and Console for Baro I might add) than spend another minute on this cringy UI. 

Looks great. Works like someone is tig welding my retinas closed and shoving toothpicks under my fingernails.

I literally had to put my remote down while messing around with Saryn's new builds because modding now feels like it should be against the Geneva Convention.

I was only a few days away from Sigma & Octantis too...

1 hour ago, (XB1)ManicZanic said:

PC players have options for their controller interface of choice, console players DO NOT!!!

JFYI, none of the PC controller options are good. Credit to DE: The controller change is half-baked and awful everywhere about equally.

On 2018-06-02 at 6:50 AM, [DE]Danielle said:
  • You can swap back and forth from the virtual cursor (and from keyboard/mouse inputs) using the left stick to using the D-Pad . 
    • The virtual cursor will travel with the D-Pad movement.
  • Using the D-Pad will snap your cursor to whatever button is nearest to it at that time.
    • This is also dependant on which directional button (up/down, left/right) you press. 

@[DE]Danielle

When will this be applied to consoles please? I'm not seeing this behavior for the chat menus. The chat seems to have some of the smallest menus requirring some real pin-point accuracy, and it's quite frustrating at the moment.

The L1/R1 (ps4) buttons randomly stop working. It seems to happen if I press either button before the current menu/screen has fully opened. Is this something that can be addressed please?

Archived