Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Devstream #112 Overview

[DE]Taylor

Why only valkyr, ivara and excalibur? So mesa is not considered having exalt weapon? Her peacemaker is clearly an ability that benefits from her secondary weapon's mods. That is not what exalt weapon about? 

18 minutes ago, Hunter126 said:

@kyori y'know those could just be examples, like Wukong has a very clear exalted weapon yet was not mentioned.

Ya, it's pretty weird when talked about exalt weapon, most people will mention those 3 frames only. Not sure what happened previously that fixed people's mentally into thinking only that 3 frames have exalt weapon.

I like design of Vlad, seems kinda more of a solo warframe than a warframe that can synergize. So far from what we saw, none of the abilities effect your allies. My only idea with it would be to have his 3, the rush cloud thingy, grant life steal to allies who got effected by it. That way he could get sort of support role because right now he is more like "yo I mess stuff up and make them explode".

with ability to share life steal he could be useful in some endurance missions as combination of CC and support is not that often, Equinox has some of it in Night Form, Harrow has some of CC but not as much as Vlad so it could be a fun twist.

In any case, adding any ability to work with other warframes would be nice and would make him more of fun and popular... it could also be augment, maybe that works too

16 hours ago, Urlan said:

How does a Sentient warframe work so far in the lore as established? Sentient are established in several quests and background so far as degrading if exposed to long-term Void Energy like that we fuel our warframes with; wouldn't this conflict with how warframes function so far? Also recently established in Plague Star, Sentient or at least Eidolon Sentient, are immune to Technocyte infestation which is the core element of our warframes. This would imply the warframe would at best just have sentient parts attached as is the case with the Pakal cosmetic armor or could not integrate like how a warframe might have gear grown or cultivated into it otherwise. Wouldn't Sentient elements integrated into a warframe then invalidate Plague Star's Eidolon Phlylaxis world building?

this

On 2018-06-01 at 7:51 PM, Urlan said:

How does a Sentient warframe work so far in the lore as established? Sentient are established in several quests and background so far as degrading if exposed to long-term Void Energy like that we fuel our warframes with; wouldn't this conflict with how warframes function so far? Also recently established in Plague Star, Sentient or at least Eidolon Sentient, are immune to Technocyte infestation which is the core element of our warframes. This would imply the warframe would at best just have sentient parts attached as is the case with the Pakal cosmetic armor or could not integrate like how a warframe might have gear grown or cultivated into it otherwise. Wouldn't Sentient elements integrated into a warframe then invalidate Plague Star's Eidolon Phlylaxis world building?

Indeed this. A Sentient-based Warframe, to me at least, violates established canon.

Warframes use a combination of nano-tech and infested tissue to form a humanoid form that was originally intended to fight enemies of the Orokin Empire...specifically Sentients.

23 hours ago, ShadowExodus said:

So even if the warframe did have sentient parts, it's not gonna be affected by void energy.

It strikes me that Sentient tech and Warframe tech are rather incompatible.

Also, as has been clearly established, Void energy is anathema and poisonous to Sentients. The moment that the Warframe channeled ANY Void energy, any and all Sentient tech in it would degrade or completely fail / disintegrate - depending on the amount of Void energy channeled.

That said, a Sentient Warframe is a paradox that, according to lore, could never work properly.

Also, why would the Orokin produce a Warframe whose visual design was highly reminiscent of an enemy that the Empire's soldiers were already fighting...?

Man I can't wait for Tennocon and the mainline update.

As for Vlad, I like the design and I guess the kit concept can be fun although obviously not really needed right now.

I wonder how his enemy control interacts with enemies controlled by Nyx though. And I suppose the exploding enemies don't go well with Nekros.

4 hours ago, MirageKnight said:

It strikes me that Sentient tech and Warframe tech are rather incompatible.

And where does it say that the two can't mix? All it says is that sentients have an immunity to the technocyte, not that the immunity automatically combats the features of technocyte or it renders technocyte useless when mixed. Mind, sentients aren't weak to warframes, they're weak to void energy. If it isn't pulsing with void energy in its veins, it can be used by the Sentients or sentient tech can be used in conjunction with it and vice versa. Remember we already have concepts of sentient arm weapons from way back when. What's the difference between that and a warframe that can use sentient energy.

7 hours ago, ShadowExodus said:

If it isn't pulsing with void energy in its veins,

Except when a Warframe channels energy, it's pretty much through its entire body but can be concentrated at a particular area...like say for instance, a hand.

I'd argue the entire Warframe acts as a conduit for Void energy.

Remember we already have concepts of sentient arm weapons from way back when.

Which we have yet to see ingame.

What's the difference between that and a warframe that can use sentient energy.

The weapon would probably use a trigger or switch of some sort, seeing as we're supposed to scavenge them from certain Sentients after we've destroyed them. Also, seeing as it's a scavenged weapon, the weapon's usefulness will probably be restricted to how much innate ammo / energy reserves it had. I seriously doubt you'd be able to use regular ammo with it.

At any rate, this will be a weapon you'd pick up and use until depleted...and then subsequently discard.

This definitely wouldn't be something you could simple take back to the ship. We can't take dropped Grineer and Corpus weapons with us...why would THIS weapon be any different? And I highly doubt it would be something we could reverse-engineer and build ourselves: Our replicators need blueprints to build things, and blueprints are something we have to obtain. Someone else with the resources would have to take apart and study the weapon and generate a new blueprint that could be used.

2 hours ago, ShadowExodus said:

And where does it say that the two can't mix? All it says is that sentients have an immunity to the technocyte, not that the immunity automatically combats the features of technocyte or it renders technocyte useless when mixed. Mind, sentients aren't weak to warframes, they're weak to void energy. If it isn't pulsing with void energy in its veins, it can be used by the Sentients or sentient tech can be used in conjunction with it and vice versa. Remember we already have concepts of sentient arm weapons from way back when. What's the difference between that and a warframe that can use sentient energy.

The incompatibility of Warframes and Sentient tech isn't because the Sentient is immune to the Technocyte; it's because Void energy is pure poison to them as discussed here: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Sentient. As noted, the Tenno draw their power from the Void and Warframes "channel and amplify" that power so Sentient and Warframe technology ought to be inherently incompatible.

I think there's also a bit of a difference between grabbing hold of a dismembered Sentient weapon and fully integrating it into the Warframe itself. I'd find it plausible for Warframes to pick up and use Sentient tools, but it is totally implausible to me that a Warframe and Sentient could be combined into a single entity that wouldn't destroy itself by casting a power.

7 hours ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

The incompatibility of Warframes and Sentient tech isn't because the Sentient is immune to the Technocyte; it's because Void energy is pure poison to them as discussed here: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Sentient. As noted, the Tenno draw their power from the Void and Warframes "channel and amplify" that power so Sentient and Warframe technology ought to be inherently incompatible.

In other words, before coming on these forums and posting stuff that goes against the absolute basic and core aspects of this universe, RTF(riggin)M!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go onto the Assassin's Creed Reddit and argue against the Assassins being enemies of the Templars. After that, I'm going to go on Fallout Reddit and argue that there never was an official statement that there was an FEV virus, that's just bullcrap players made up. /s

I'm not really feelin' it with this new "Sentient/Warframe" deal. Lorewise, those two things go together as well as fire and water. How would Sentient  tech, which need I remind you is DEATHLY ALLERGIC to Void Energies, coexist with Warframes which are POWERED BY Void Energies? And don't bring Shadow Stalker into this, because he's using Sentient armor pieces and weapon OUTSIDE of his warframe. This is supposed to be a warframe COMPOSED of Sentient parts, which may sound cool on paper (and I'm gonna honestly say it indeed is), but it just doesn't fit with the lore.

Also, the kit shown is... fine, I guess. Feels like a Nyx sidegrade more than anything.

I'd like to leave the suggestion here to maybe, just maybe, try to make this warframe interesting mechanically in a way that doesn't feel too out-of-place. This unique union of opposing technologies shouldn't come without drawbacks. I say DE make him work without Energy at all, paying Health for his abilities instead and having his kit revolve around that mechanic. Health drain will also fit right in the "vampirism" theme they say they're going for. It wouldn't really be that much of a novel concept to have Warframes pay for abilities with a non-energy resource. Valkyr and Harrow pay Shields for some of their abilities and half of Nidus' kit costs his own unique stacks. Also, a Warframe that uses no energy would be an interesting venue to try overall, like the warframes that use no shields were. Also would kinda fit in with the lore: unable to use Void Energy due to the Sentient composition, this warframe would be forced to turn to a new resource to employ in battle; his own lifeforce. And to tie up loose ends, make Energy restoring effects and items instead be split between restoring health and shields.

So if DE wants to shoehorn this rather awkward fusion into the game, the above is my suggestion to make it actually worth it.

11 hours ago, Mach25 said:

In other words, before coming on these forums and posting stuff that goes against the absolute basic and core aspects of this universe, RTF(riggin)M!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go onto the Assassin's Creed Reddit and argue against the Assassins being enemies of the Templars. After that, I'm going to go on Fallout Reddit and argue that there never was an official statement that there was an FEV virus, that's just bullcrap players made up. /s

It also begs the question as to why Ballas would think "Hmm, I know; now that this experimental technology we KNEW was dangerous has come back and started destroying us, let's try combining it with this even more dangerous tech controlled by traumatized children who already have multiple reasons to hate us and want us dead. What could possibly go wrong?"

1 hour ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

It also begs the question as to why Ballas would think "Hmm, I know; now that this experimental technology we KNEW was dangerous has come back and started destroying us, let's try combining it with this even more dangerous tech controlled by traumatized children who already have multiple reasons to hate us and want us dead. What could possibly go wrong?"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Ballas orchestrated the fall of the Orokin. After losing Margulis, the guilt and pain he felt drove him to continue her work so that the Tenno would have the means to take down the Orokin. Ballas and the Tenno may not like each other, but neither liked the Orokin, especially after Margulis's death.

Or perhaps they felt that the Revenge of the Sentient was due to the sentient being basically machinery. Perhaps the Orokin believed they had full power over the Tenno and their Warframes, and didn't worry about them turning (surprise surprise, the Tenno slaughter the Orokin anyways) and decided to merge Sentient energy with a Warframe shell.

5 hours ago, Mmoty said:

man i hope that sword and dagger are separate

I doubt that. DE seems a bit obsessed with dual swords...

6 hours ago, EchoesOfRain said:

Or perhaps they felt that the Revenge of the Sentient was due to the sentient being basically machinery. Perhaps the Orokin believed they had full power over the Tenno and their Warframes, and didn't worry about them turning (surprise surprise, the Tenno slaughter the Orokin anyways) and decided to merge Sentient energy with a Warframe shell.

Could be wrong, but as arrogant, pretentious, and self-serving as he might have been, Ballas doesn't strike me as being the sort of person that would stoop to petty revenge. I also seriously doubt that he'd deliberately incorporate "tainted" tech into a Warframe. 

Also, don't forget that Ballas never had the kind of influence over the Tenno that Margulis had. Margulis though, was gone before the Tenno rose up against their Orokin masters, with the aide of their Warframes. They did that pretty much on their own. Mind you they did have someone that prodded them into action...that "person" being Natah.

8 hours ago, Zoh_Veldae said:

I'm not really feelin' it with this new "Sentient/Warframe" deal. Lorewise, those two things go together as well as fire and water. How would Sentient  tech, which need I remind you is DEATHLY ALLERGIC to Void Energies, coexist with Warframes which are POWERED BY Void Energies? And don't bring Shadow Stalker into this, because he's using Sentient armor pieces and weapon OUTSIDE of his warframe. This is supposed to be a warframe COMPOSED of Sentient parts, which may sound cool on paper (and I'm gonna honestly say it indeed is), but it just doesn't fit with the lore.

Afflicted by Sentient Energy =/= made of sentient parts

3 hours ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

*coughs* CHERNOBYL *cough cough*

4 hours ago, EchoesOfRain said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Ballas orchestrated the fall of the Orokin. After losing Margulis, the guilt and pain he felt drove him to continue her work so that the Tenno would have the means to take down the Orokin. Ballas and the Tenno may not like each other, but neither liked the Orokin, especially after Margulis's death.

No, it was Natah that orchestrated the fall. She was sent to Origin specifically for the purpose of destroying the Orokin and then the Tenno... She changed her mind with regards to step 2 due to maternal instincts and being rendered barren by the trip. Ballas created the Warframes, but he did that in direct opposition (IIRC) to what Margulis wanted with regards to developing the Tenno as weapons and it was specifically to fight the Sentient with no actual mention of any intent whatsoever on Ballas' part to target the Orokin.

Spoiler

That he is still alive in present day is actually a pretty shocking reveal for that very reason.

Also, I'm afraid your "control" argument doesn't really make much sense.

It is explicitly mentioned that the Sentient had repeatedly turned the Orokin's own weapons against them. That's why they rolled back to more basic tech (kinetic firearms and melee) and introduced Warframes as Void-based weapons (which were lethal to the Sentient). Either the Warframes are fully incompatible (making Warframe 36 completely lore-breaking) or the greatest danger of the Old War would have been subversion and appropriation of the Warframes/Tenno by the Sentient... which would make combining the technologies unbelievably stupid.

16 minutes ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

It is explicitly mentioned that the Sentient had repeatedly turned the Orokin's own weapons against them. That's why they rolled back to more basic tech (kinetic firearms and melee) and introduced Warframes as Void-based weapons (which were lethal to the Sentient). Either the Warframes are fully incompatible (making Warframe 36 completely lore-breaking) or the greatest danger of the Old War would have been subversion and appropriation of the Warframes/Tenno by the Sentient... which would make combining the technologies unbelievably stupid.

I said something like the last part here before in the thread, and that was the new frame was the turning point to the sentients problems with the void, and that this new frame would bypasses the weakness to the void would actually help the sentients "finish" the old war and destroy the tenno for go. if that's the case, i feel as if we're going to twart that from happening and make Vlad and all future copies unusable by the sentients, using THEIR new tech against them.

1 hour ago, Rauxa9 said:

I said something like the last part here before in the thread, and that was the new frame was the turning point to the sentients problems with the void, and that this new frame would bypasses the weakness to the void would actually help the sentients "finish" the old war and destroy the tenno for go. if that's the case, i feel as if we're going to twart that from happening and make Vlad and all future copies unusable by the sentients, using THEIR new tech against them.

That could certainly tie into one of my biggest questions for the lore... which is... if the Primes were the original Orokin designs and the Tenno got put into cryosleep pretty much immediately after wiping out the Orokin, where the Hek did the "non-prime" variants come from? Who designed them, when, and why? Most "non-prime" variants have been presented as pre-existing. Is "Vlad" actually a new design in the current timeline?

If DE can provide some satisfactory answers I'll be happy to accept them. Otherwise, the concept makes it look like they are effectively disregarding their established lore in favor of the "rule of cool," which damages our ability to trust in their narrative and cheapens the worth of whatever survives an awkward retcon.

I think that for this frame DE either needs to have a quest that clarifies this frame (Arbiters of Hexis say hi), which was already said by Rebeca on twitter to be unlikely, or one of those little comics that they made a little bit before Octavia's Anthem and Chains of Harrow came out. Or maybe some scanable codex in the Venus open world map which explain him? Or perhaps some "Fragmented Codexies" that can be found somewhere in the game. (i would personally prefer a quest and or comic, a quest for thsi frame, done right would be flat out awesome and the warframe comics are super coool and get people HYPED!)

46 minutes ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

That could certainly tie into one of my biggest questions for the lore... which is... if the Primes were the original Orokin designs and the Tenno got put into cryosleep pretty much immediately after wiping out the Orokin, where the Hek did the "non-prime" variants come from? Who designed them, when, and why? Most "non-prime" variants have been presented as pre-existing. Is "Vlad" actually a new design in the current timeline?

If DE can provide some satisfactory answers I'll be happy to accept them. Otherwise, the concept makes it look like they are effectively disregarding their established lore in favor of the "rule of cool," which damages our ability to trust in their narrative and cheapens the worth of whatever survives an awkward retcon.

non primes are present day iterations of the primes; non primes were used after the war when all the original primes were thought to be lost. The tenno try to recreate them and their power as best as they can.

Vlad is a sentient hybrid, utilizing their tech and tenno tech based off Orokin designs for warframes and is with frames like Gara, titainia, harrow, etc on being new

So we will have a self destruction frame unable to use is power :D? What next? Driveable Eidolon :O? Eidolon sentinel :D? No, wait O-O why not a tridolon mountable mass destruction weapon to wipe out the grineer from Cetus xD Thats will be funny 😄

Btw, i don't like this frame. We still have a lot of bugged or old frame, you should fix and rework them before add new bugged frame.

All I can say is you should find a way to make Vlad's 1st more useful, Limbo before and after the rework still had abilities used for different purposes, or at least after the rework. Since what his first can do, his 2nd and 3rd can do as well I think there should be more reason to use the 1st ability. or maybe i'm just missing something.

Archived