Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Revenant Themed Warframe "Vlad" Feedback and Discussion

Synpai

11 hours ago, atejas said:

As Vlad is technically the second 'sentient' warframe (the first being Chroma) it would make sense that DE would want to pursue something different with him. But he just doesn't relate to eidolons the same way Chroma relates to 'normal' sentients.

Normal sentients: Conculysts, Battalysts, etc. General aesthetic is otherworldly and alien. Main combat mechanic is being highly adaptable and resilient to damage.

This is reflected in Chroma's kit, primarily through Vex Armor, which simulates (sort of) damage adaptation and resistance, as well as the element switching. Chroma's ability to reanimate his pelt and have it function semi-independently also underscores the fact that it's a separate being from Chroma proper.

The next type of sentients introduced are, of course, Eidolons: Teralysts, Vomvalysts etc. General aesthetic is ghostly and cursed. Main combat mechanics revolve around ethereality (Vomvalysts in their second form, Teralysts teleporting without a lure) and their transient nature (only emerging at night)

Vlad's mist wall reflects this, mechanically if not yet visually, but nothing else in his kit really does. Eidolons don't mind control people (although Teralysts etc. do summon Vomvalysts as minions) and they don't 'curse' the players when we're fighting them.

I'd suggest then that the vampirism aspect of Vlad doesn't really fit thematically or mechanically and that the emphasis should be on the Revenant aspect. Afflicting people with your curse and using it as a way to subvert enemies and empower yourself sounds cool, but babysitting mind-controlled mobs doesn't fit with that. Beyond that, a stronger focus on mobility and damage immunity would fit well with his kit, maybe even extending to his passive (it would be cool if he got an ethereal 'second chance' upon death like a Vomvalyst).

What you refer to as "Normal" Sentients are in fact all smaller drones of Hunhow, so part of the same larger Sentient.  This is stated in lore.  The Eidolon on the plains, Vomalysts and the like, are also part of a larger Sentient, whose backstory we know little about aside from Gara's quest.  Heck, Wisps may even be a part of it.

Just clarifying that while Vlad may not act like Hunhow, he may in fact act like another Sentient.  We know very little about most of them.

10 hours ago, Midrib said:

Yeah..No, that's just overreaching.

If they wanted to "reimagine the concept of having added on AI" they could've worked on the summoning sentients part that actually fits the sentient part of the frame. 

No, Summoning smaller drones is not a defining feature of ALL Sentients (Where's Lotus' drones?)  It is simply what happens when a larger Sentient is fragmented.  BUT in my theory, we're assuming the Sentient that is merged with Vlad IS, in fact, either one of those drones, or the only of its kind.  The former making sense as their are multilple copies of his frame, the latter being fine too.

Also, this is likely to ship with PoV, so new possible Sentients introduced with different powers.  People keep assuming ALL Sentients act like Hunhow, which obviously isn't true.  For example, Teralyst has no damage adaptation.  Just uber shields.

11 hours ago, Urlan said:

Alad V didn't make Mutalist strains, he rediscovered it from his experiments on warframes and normal infested.This can be seen by completing Stolen Dreams, which shows Arcane Boilers mutalist strains that have been placed there since before the Fall to defend the Arcane Machine.

The Plague Star event outright says during the event with the Eidolon Phylaxis that Sentient are totally immune to Technocyte - now honestly this confuses now and confused me then as this makes little sense, I would think a dual living/mechnical organism with decentralized awareness would be horrifying to such self aware seemingly mechanical entities - immune to such extent that just gather elements from the Plains that have exposure to the Sentient energies is enough to make a potion to help destabilize a massive Technocyte boil organism. This implies a negativc reaction both to Sentient body part derivatives and possibly Sentient energy being poisonous to infested tissues which our warframes are made out of; being Technocyte organisms.

Void energy is stated pretty repeatedly as being poison to Sentient and is able to disperse or counter Sentient magnetic energy. So that isn't really something that needs being reexplained. This however showsyour that in both respects such a merging of energies would be counter to either organism existing. Warframes are technocyte that uses Void Energy from Transferenced Tenno to power and fuel their infested abilities. This Void energy is poison to Sentient and disperses their energy fields. Sentient give off powerful magnetic energies that seem to contaminate the ground and Sentient materials around the Plains of Eidolon and tinctures of these exposed elements and minerals are enough to poison large generalized Technocyte growths capable of surviving atmospheric entry and still birthing large Technocyte organisms like the (Lephantis variant) Hemacyst for self defense. This implies a contradictory nature in both respects.

Another important thing to remember as well, is we haven't made any warframes per say; influenced some perhaps - during the Old War = with Nova but the Orokin Elite or Sylvanna made those things. Primes as enhanced versions introduced by Ballas or somehow introduced before the lady that made the warframes for Margulis and Ballas whichever, but how would they have merged a Sentient with a warframe when they feared so absolutely Sentient contamination? If every bit of the Sentient is part of the core awareness like Hunhow; for example, how would this kind of thing make sense even if doable in setting? Their energy being their Oro, if we reach, their soul like with Hunhow Shards? Their energy like the Eidolon's; a dripping magnetic imbued almost fluid, called Breath of Eidolon? Mind, these EIdolon wouldn't have been available during the Old War at all! The original Eidolon Sentient attacked after Hunhow's planned massacre of the Orokin Elite was just recently completed and Hunhow fallen to Uranus. So either the warframe wouldn't be able time-wise to be based on Eidolon shards; or would have to draw from Hunhow shards which haven't shown similar Energy signatures, instead falling to Oro-like drops that other shards can recover - Tenno destroying these by absorbing them either into themselves directly or through transference with the warframes.

PoV may be introducing new Sentients, for one thing, with new "rules" or adaptations.  Also, as I stated in my previous post, it's entirely possible the backstory here is that Vlad was a frame damaged in the Old War and survived by joining forces with a rogue Sentient, smaller in nature...like a uh...I dunno.. Clem-Wisp.   The Sentient then assimilated the Warframe a little, allowing him to function (this explains the odd arm and stuff) and likewise, the Warframe was able to give the Sentient a means of understanding and utilizing Void energy.

When you use your laptop, you don't stick the power plug into your own body to power it.  That'd kill you.  You are able, however, to keep it close, or in the case of wearables, you have compact power units, like Batteries.  All I'm suggesting is the Sentient lends its powers to the Warframe and, in turn, uses the frame as it's battery, of sorts, since the Sentient, itself, cannot utilize the Void power.

24 minutes ago, Xriah said:

I understand he is a work in progress but I hope the dev team focuses on truly bringing out the vampire aspect of the frame. The thralls are alright and the mist is fine but I was really hoping to see some sort of bite or Legacy of Kain style blood draw power. I've been waiting and hoping for a true vampire frame for years, but right now Inaros feels more vampire than this guy.

The easiest fix I can think of is turning his melee finishers into a bite or essence steal. It's simple, doesn't affect his kit, and gives enough of that vamp feel to keep vampire fans happy.

That said, I haven't been this excited for new content in a very long time! Crossing my fingers...

Actually, given that his ability puts enemies to sleep...and he's working out to be a cool Stealth frame, maybe his passive SHOULD be "Finishers replenish HP/Energy by x%"?

As for why he isn't biting necks...that's not a thing in -all- Vampire lore, and also Inaros already has a similar animation and they likely didn't want to dupe it.

With him, Nekros, Valkyr as Frankenstein's Monster, etc....HalloweenFrame is gonna be awesome lol

7 hours ago, LSG501 said:

We were shown work in progress for the frame, the only placeholders were 'visual' things, the 'concept' isn't going to change much (outside of power strength balance) between now and release because they said in the devstream they want it out as fast as possible (basically they want to make up for the delay in khora's release)

I'm honestly fine with waiting.  Dunno why they feel the need to rush.  We've plenty of toys right now, and with new maps, stories, etc on the way....It's really better that they take their time and at -least- figure out what concept they want to go with.  I like the ideas they presented, but if im being honest, it feels like they have TWO frames potentially here and could split those ideas for double the productivity.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Taishin_Ishu said:

I'm honestly fine with waiting.  Dunno why they feel the need to rush.  

cynical side of me, they had a 6 month window without a new frame, that's 6 months without a new frame for players to buy with plat....make khora an excessive grind to 'encourage' plat purchase, now it's time to pull the schedule back to '3 months' for the usual plat sales so I'm expecting it to be released as quickly as possible and for it to come with an excessive grind again... in all honesty I'm even expecting it to be a drop from sentients on lua or the eidolons on PoE just to make things more 'annoying' so we decide to just buy it with plat instead...

1 minute ago, LSG501 said:

cynical side of me, they had a 6 month window without a new frame, that's 6 months without a new frame for players to buy with plat....make khora an excessive grind to 'encourage' plat purchase, now it's time to pull the schedule back to '3 months' for the usual plat sales so I'm expecting it to be released as quickly as possible and for it to come with an excessive grind again... in all honesty I'm even expecting it to be a drop from sentients on lua or the eidolons on PoE just to make things more 'annoying' so we decide to just buy it with plat instead...

I dunno, depending on what Sentient it's based on, and assuming ALL of us aren't just taking the Vlad demo WAY out of context, those types of things would make perfect sense.

I don't mind grinding Lua nor PoE.  It's different, for one.  I play the game because I love the game.  The fact that I'm rewarded for playing with new frames and weapons?  That's just a bonus 🙂

The most likely way we'll have to acquire Vlad's parts is from hunting Eidolons. As someone who would rather play Starchart than hunt Eidolons for 15 hours just to get one warframe part, can we please not make him an Eidolon drop? I'd rather be able to obtain him in normal gameplay. DE is seemingly starting a trend of making the more recent frames harder and harder to get because it boosts plat sales, which is a business practice I can't agree with.

2 hours ago, takeshiblue said:

So a friend I have been talking about a this new frame and he bought up some vladid points. 

Like whenever you think of vampire you dont think of someone putting people to sleep and controlling enemies or do you think of you think of claws, sucking the life force from an enemy, bats, etc. 

Me on the other hand am honestly dissapointed well so is he kinda. However I am dissapointed not only cause the Eidolon frame doesn't seem Eidolon esk and it doesn't seem vampire ish at all either. It's more over that this concept this artist made for Rebecca went to waste. 

Note I know Rebecca posted that vlad would get some tweaks with abilities from her Twitter post here; 

IMO, that fan concept is a superior design.

Also, Sentient Warframe? Just...what?

Given the fact that established canon says that Sentient tech is 1. impervious to the Infestation and 2. Void energy is anathema and damaging to Sentient constructs, this Warframe should damage or destroy itself the minute it cast a high powered ability.

Warframes are a combination of infested bio-tech and machinery, and can channel Void energy. They're remote-controlled super-soldier puppets developed SPECIFICALLY to fight the Sentient threat. Why else would they channel void energy into damaging abilities? Also, if Sentient material is impervious to the infestation...how would you bond it to the rest of the infested mass of the Warframe?

DE, it seems to me and probably a few other people that you went and created a paradox that by all rights shouldn't be able to work properly, let alone at all...because it appears to contradict the very lore and rules you established a while back.

And why would the Orokin even make a Warframe that looked like one of their enemies?

Edited by MirageKnight

39 minutes ago, (PS4)Taishin_Ishu said:

What you refer to as "Normal" Sentients are in fact all smaller drones of Hunhow, so part of the same larger Sentient.  This is stated in lore.  The Eidolon on the plains, Vomalysts and the like, are also part of a larger Sentient, whose backstory we know little about aside from Gara's quest.  Heck, Wisps may even be a part of it.

Just clarifying that while Vlad may not act like Hunhow, he may in fact act like another Sentient.  We know very little about most of them.

You are missing the point of the statement you quoted; the Eidolon Sentient - the original organism didn't make its beeline to 'Er' to destroy towers until Hunhow's plan for us to kill the majority of the Orokin Elite had occurred. The point is that the Shards - normal Sentient - as you pointed out are in fact Hunhow, who does not display the same energy elements with his Shards and their construction as Eidolon Sentients. All the Plains Sentient are from that Eidolon Sentient which focused on destroying the Earth based Towers. None of those Eidolon based Sentient shards or fragments would have existed to be adapted into a warframe timeline wise as it happened after the fall. This leaking Sentient energy is indicative of the Eidolons as said in the devstream so that is another point for how this doesn't work as a warframe that could have been made by the Orokin as they wouldn't have had the Eidolon's in their time period. Does this point make sense now?

Just now, Godzelda123 said:

I like how you're worrying about something that we know literally nothing about. 

Yeah, but you have to admit that Warframes are steadily getting harder to get in-game, between the atrocious drop-rates for Nidus and Khora and all the other recent ones. 

6 minutes ago, KaizergidorahXi said:

As someone who would rather play Starchart than hunt Eidolons

good for you, "Vlad" is not a frame that's for you then, you can always buy him if you're THAT opposed to fighting eidolons

Just now, KaizergidorahXi said:

Hunting Eidolons isn't for everyone. 

neither is vlad, like i said, if you dont want to put the effort into farming eidolons then just buy him, if you dont want to spend plat on vlad or farm him, then you can live without him

Bear in mind, that not everyone has a rig that can run PoE consistently. And don't try the "just get a better PC" argument, because some of us have mortgage, family, medical expenses, ex-wives, and/or other expenses.

7 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

Bear in mind, that not everyone has a rig that can run PoE consistently. And don't try the "just get a better PC" argument, because some of us have mortgage, family, medical expenses, ex-wives, and/or other expenses.

but some players not being able to run PoE is not an excuse for them to make the frame easier to acquire, if you can't run PoE you should be focusing on working off those other expenses rather than playing a video game on a potato computer, depending on whether or not you need it for work you might even be better off selling it

1 minute ago, bad4youLT said:

my predictions , hes parts will be in quills shop 132K rep each and require some rare drop from hydrolist to build it

i doubt they'd add an entirely new resource for the sole purpose of crafting 1 warframe, but being a quill reward sounds plausible, and also not that insane given that most players who've actually gone eidolon/tridolon hunting probably still have a mountain of cores they're sitting on

Edited by Screamlord_Star

If it comes down to it, i'd rather spend my hours on trade chat farming mods/parts to sell than go to the plains, so regardless of where he ends up there is always an alternative. Turn on some music, and train your eyes for the spam that is trade, and you'll do just fine.

7 minutes ago, Screamlord_Star said:

but some players not being able to run PoE is not an excuse for them to make the frame easier to acquire, if you can't run PoE you should be focusing on working off those other expenses rather than playing a video game on a potato computer, depending on whether or not you need it for work you might even be better off selling it

I'm filthy rich, build my own Master Race rigs, retired and sometimes buy the really stupid, heavy grind/RNG warframes. Khora collection was worth it, especially after seeing the laughable drop rates. Even though I have no issues running Warframe, or buying plat, I agree with the OP here. Obtaining parts is becoming a hassle, on top of the time it takes to bake them. This has nothing to do with plat sales either, since even platinum can be obtained freely through trade.

Your +9 trolling is comical but unhealthy and not helping the issue.

I really don't think that acquisition of Vlad will be tied to the current boss -lysts, but rather maybe to the new kind of enemies in specific missions that might be introduced with sacrifice

Edited by cptSmollett
Clarification