Just Another Frame

Vurtney

We humans tend to strife to be better in life. That includes our daily life in work, hobbies like games,

parenting, anything really. This also differentiates on each individual, it makes us what we are. That's how we know what other people have done in their lifetime. When we achieve something we learn from it and get better. That's just how it goes. How does this relate to Warframe? I'm coming to that.

Right now i have around 300 hours spent in this game. I guess i could say i know my way around. I'm also almost Rank 10, achievement itself. I have almost all the frames except Ash. I'll get him in time. I like to switch frames

time to time and change my play style. It's fun and breaks the monotony. I know how to use my frames and my mods

reflects that. Everything seems to be fine and dandy, yet something gives.

My mods and power choices are the same as everyone else. There's no variation really. In the end, everyone tends

to use the same loadouts aka cookiecutter. I know, i know. DE keeps churning more mods and tweaks the game all

the time. In time, we might have more options.

Right now, we all play the same way, regardless of rank. Ranks bring better weapons but they don't reflect us as players. We all play our frames and weapons the same way. Nothing sets us apart as individuals. I as a Rank 9 play my frames the exact same way as someone Rank 5. My time investment means more weapons, maxed mods and frames but my skills as a player are capped aka skill capped. I'm still just another player. So is that another guy over there. We play the same way.

Between Rank 1 and 9 nothing has really changed for me. sure i know my way around, have more content behind me, but i cannot get better as an individual in this game. There are reasons for that.

*The game does not have any drawbacks when using frame powers. There's no risk and reward*

We've seen it many times how one or 2 players wipe an entire room with a press of a button and why wouldn't they. It's easy and a fast way to speed things up. We all do it. Except when leveling our weapons. For some people this is fun, i won't blame them. Everyone has their own fun factor. But we all play the same way. If spamming an ultimate is the fastest and most efficient way to proceed, then that's what we do. There's no drawback so why not. But that's just it, we don't have to think, we just do it and then get results.

On another topic, we had a discussion if our frame ultimates had drawbacks, something that would set an average and a more experienced player apart. An element, that would make us think before we act. A player that just started the game would have to learn the robes by trial and error. A higher rank would already know how to play with drawbacks. It sets 2 players apart with several ranks between them. One who's still learning and another player who learned to play better and really knows how to play his frames. Risk and reward.

I don't want to be a unique snowflake, i want to be a player that overcomes something and get's better over time. I want my time investment have a meaning that shows in my gameplay. In MMO's, this is something that just naturally happens (i'm not comparing Warframe to MMO's, just an example) Someone who has played 7 years plays completely differently than someone who has been playing for 2 months. The difference is so obvious anyone can see it with their eye balls. This unfortunately is not the case in Warframe.

The casual gameplay of Warframe (the grind is really not that bad compared to some other games) makes us all equal but no one is really individual. In future, we might have more frame powers, 8 or maybe even 12. An experienced player would know what powers to use and where/when. Right now, we really can't strife to be better.

The frame powers are just one example.

Now ponder this. Think what sets you apart from another player? How does your time invested in this game reflects your gameplay? Do you see yourself as another frame or is there something that sets you apart from the new players?

Edited by Vurtney

Exactly. When the times comes, and you get used to the gameplay. There is a stagnation.

The only change factor of missions from the beggining to the end is the level of enemies (and maybe the difficulty number, wich affects the more advanced enemies that will appear in the mission).

Apart from that above, it's the same experience, over and over. Why play warframe then?

The MMO principle of drop and conquer. It's the evolution of the frames, mods and new content you get as you advance through the solar chart that pumps you up to continue playing. As soon this runs out, and all the content has been conquered, there's no fun anymore.

I disagree that ranks 1-9 all play the same. For me rank very really reflects how much you've played and as such, how good your mod loadout is, infact for me the ranks are a sort of guideline to what a players goals and stuff are. Example:

From ranks 1-3 youre a noob, all mods are valuable to you, you are still levelling everything maybe you dont even HAVE a serration or hornet strike yet. These players are usually levelling stuff, or learning to farm to make better gear (for me it was bolto and dual ethers).

From ranks 4-6 youre an intermediate player youve been around a bit and probably gotten yourself gear youre better in, found a frame that suits your playstyle and all that and now you have set mods you know you want to have. Youve got most of the important ones (I still didnt have split chamber or barrel diffusion but I knew that they were something I want) 

From ranks 7+ you are now an experienced player, you most likely have all planetary missions completed, your objectives now are generally not to get mastery points (I was actualy content to just be rank 7 forever and never bothered to grind mastery points) youve tried a good few of the frames and probably at least every category of weapon enough to know what you like. You now also have access to the top tier weapons so chances are you are farming lots of plastids. I had my serration maxed at this point but thats cause I prioritized it. Your loadout isn't PERFECT yet, but you now most likely know what your favorite weapons are, most of your best gear is potatoed, maybe even formad and you likely have all the important mods you wanted. At this point your goal is usually to get a new prime weapon or something else from the void. Your extensive play probably means youre a good contributor to your clan, which means youre likely invested in that too (or if you're me, you went and started your own clan)

So yeah, for me the whole "personal journey of self betterment" is already kind of there if you know where youre going and what youre at.

Sorry for text-wall.

Edited by Santaphrax

We definitely should have more customization and more fleshed out skills.

I think every skill should be utilized and approached in terms of damage and situational skills.

For instance, if I am tired of using Fireball for damage, what if I cast it on my teammate, giving him an aura of fire similar to overheat?

Skills like that could also provide a harder challenge and could help with the "Endgame" that we desperately crave for. Teamwork > Power is what this game should be, in combos like Radial Javelin and Bullet Attractor.

Not "Whoever press 4 first wins"

I disagree that ranks 1-9 all play the same. For me rank very really reflects how much you've played and as such, how good your mod loadout is, infact for me the ranks are a sort of guideline to what a players goals and stuff are. Example:

From ranks 1-3 youre a noob, all mods are valuable to you, you are still levelling everything maybe you dont even HAVE a serration or hornet strike yet. These players are usually levelling stuff, or learning to farm to make better gear (for me it was bolto and dual ethers).

From ranks 4-6 youre an intermediate player youve been around a bit and probably gotten yourself gear youre better in, found a frame that suits your playstyle and all that and now you have set mods you know you want to have. Youve got most of the important ones (I still didnt have split chamber or barrel diffusion but I knew that they were something I want) 

From ranks 7+ you are now an experienced player, you most likely have all planetary missions completed, your objectives now are generally not to get mastery points (I was actualy content to just be rank 7 forever and never bothered to grind mastery points) youve tried a good few of the frames and probably at least every category of weapon enough to know what you like. You now also have access to the top tier weapons so chances are you are farming lots of plastids. I had my serration maxed at this point but thats cause I prioritized it. Your loadout isn't PERFECT yet, but you now most likely know what your favorite weapons are, most of your best gear is potatoed, maybe even formad and you likely have all the important mods you wanted. At this point your goal is usually to get a new prime weapon. Your extensive play probably means youre a good contributor to your clan, which means youre likely invested in that too (or if you're me, you went and started your own clan)

So yeah, for me the whole "personal journey of self betterment" is already kind of there if you know where youre going and what youre at.

Sorry for text-wall.

Too bad RNG removes your entire theory.

I have all Multishots and Flow even, and I am almost at rank 4, and this is with only 30 hours of gametime.

However, before I reset I had no multishot until about rank 5 1/2.

The problem is, this game doesn't require skill, noob or pro, it doesn't matter, you just need to know how to mod your warframes and your weapons, and you're good. Warframe is supposed to be a PvE game, boss fights should be VERY HARD but they aren't, you can actually 2shot every boss in the game with a fully-modded Paris.

Of course there are good players that headshot enemies all the time, but it's not really necessary in this game.

Too bad RNG removes your entire theory.

I have all Multishots and Flow even, and I am almost at rank 4, and this is with only 30 hours of gametime.

However, before I reset I had no multishot until about rank 5 1/2.

It does mean that progression isn't as linear, but I wouldnt say Im totally debunked. Like at rank 5, if I got a split chamber mod, that was HALF of my weapons mod capacity so I still was never going to be as poweful as one of the advanced players like me now where any weapon I really like gets spudded up.

I had no multishot til I was rank maybe 6 and a bit. But by then I knew I wanted it and started trying to get it. As for flow, I got that fairly early on, but noob that I was I just slash dashed everything until that wasnt enough and I had to go back to try and bring my weapons and stuff up to scratch. And THAT was a learning curve in and of itself and thats what I was trying to say, that these little learning journeys are there. They just arent something blatantly obvious as how skilled we actually are irl with swords and guns after using them for longer.

Edited by Santaphrax

The way we approach content should also reflect what skills we use and when. All skills should have a purpose regardless of mission type. Right now using ultimates is so easy it completely negates the use of other skills (some frames are exceptions, banshee and sonar for example. Not to mention vauban)

New content shouldn't be just about numbers. It should make us use all of our skill sets. It should make us think what to do before we act.

Edited by Vurtney

The way we approach content should also reflect what skills we use and when. All skills should have a purpose regardless of mission type. Right now using ultimates is so easy it completely negates the use of other skills (some frames are exceptions, banshee and sonar for example)

New content shouldn't be just about numbers. It should make us use all of our skill sets. It should make us think what to do before we act.

Loki fits your description perfectly.

We realistically need more frames like him.