Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Matchmaking: Avoid same Warframes?

oolgorboid

I don't know how public matchmaking selects a squad, but it'd be nice if it tried to avoid duplicate warframes.

Some of the most fun endless missions lately have been with groups of all different Warframes. Maybe it's not that... maybe everyone knew how to play well?

2 minutes ago, oolgorboid said:

but it'd be nice if it tried to avoid duplicate warframes.

I don't know. Sometimes it is better to have a group with duplicates than have to go solo. Why does this really matter though? I have never found it makes any difference at all. Just let people play however they like.

Duplicates is only bad when the Warframes actively conflict with each other.

Like having 2 Saryns or 2 Nidus.

That one is just sad.

Some warframes don't stack very well, but since missions are usually short and the enemy is invariably the worst for whatever shows up...not really seeing a huge issue here. 

Also, there are ways to work around stacking issues with a little imagination and some mental flexibility. 

What springs to mind is a mission some time ago. It was an infested defense and we had two Novas. You can probably see where this is going. What it came down to is at least one of the players recognizing both Novas can't do the same thing very effectively and it gets worse with a slow Nova and a speed Nova. What shook out was one kept MP spam running and the other specialized in dropping AMD nukes on the defense objective. I doubt it was what either player had in mind going in, but it worked itself out. 

On the other hand, some warframes stack very well indeed. Four Valkyrs in the same group is nothing but pure good times, where the only concern is who gets whose claws into whom quickest--and the inevitable ripline tug'o'wars. 

1 hour ago, krc473 said:

I don't know. Sometimes it is better to have a group with duplicates than have to go solo. Why does this really matter though? I have never found it makes any difference at all. Just let people play however they like.

Sorry, I meant public matchmaking. I've got no interest in telling people how they should choose their own squads.

It might be something like weighing the player selection slightly in favor of people with different warframes equipped if all else is equal. The RNG would still pick duplicates, but it would have an increased tendency not to.

Saryn's a good example. Sanctuary Onslaught is rife with them right now, and teams will frequently have two or three of her. More different buffs would be nice.

And Fashion Frame can get vicious when two players wear the same Warframe to the mission. 🙂

37 minutes ago, oolgorboid said:

Saryn's a good example. Sanctuary Onslaught is rife with them right now, and teams will frequently have two or three of her. More different buffs would be nice.

I don’t really see the benefit in this. There is a reason people take Saryn to OS. What is the point in having buffing frames when everything just dies quickly anyway?

If you really want a mixture it is best just to make a squad. How many issues would it cause for say, spy missions? People want to take a Loki, but struggle find a group because others are also taking Loki. It might sound like an okay idea for OS modes, but what about the rest of the game?

Adjusting the RNG that selects public squads to like duplicate warframes less isn't exclusionary. It wouldn't stop people from finding squads. It wouldn't prevent duplicate frames on squads. I agree that public matchmaking would be completely broken if it did any of those things.

• 3 years later...

I apologize for re-waking an old post. But I feel you folks are missing the OP's point.  You all keep going on about the frost example.  I think the OP just did not explain the situation well enough because I too am wondering about it.  Let me elaborate, using frost (as an example - pun intended).  I queue for an excavation with frost... of course there are other frost because its an excavation.  I queue for the same excavation with say, Excalibur and oddly there are no frost... the point is, when you queue with what obviously is needed you will see more of that frame but if you queue with something random you wont see anyone in your group with what is needed.  It has happened to me enough that I ended up here after searching to see if anyone else has experienced it. To further over exhaust the point, I queue an ESO that will benefit if using the meta Mirage and wouldn't you know it, there are 2 or three other Mirages, I abort and queue  ESO with Saryn and there it is.... 2 other Saryns.  Rinse and repeat with any other meta that dose ESO well. Now here comes the part the OP was trying to get across.  Queue ESO with someone not meta or simply not used often in EOS like, I dunno Atlas? and suddenly there are no nukers in the group and possibly another Atlas. Or You end up with (for example) Rhino, Excal, Valkyr while you are using Wukong but no nukers like Saryn or Mirage.  Re-queue, just to make sure, with Saryn and here we go again...  3 Saryns.  But why were there no Saryns when I was using Wukong.  I think that is what the OP was trying to get across.  And that's what I have been running into as well.  Coincidence?  

Edited by PublicEnemy01
mad grammatical - and spelling errors - its late for me and I am tired
  • Like 1