[DE]Helen

PSA: Minimum Supported Specs Changes!

Time to consider upgrading those potatoes and toasters people...

Edited by Valiant
  • Like 20
  • Haha 8
  • Satisfied 1
  • Woah 2
  • Applause 18
  • Upvote 13

39 minutes ago, [DE]Helen said:

We are aiming to give you as much notice as possible for our plans to change our Minimum Supported Specs! If you’re still running Windows XP, DirectX 9 or a 32-bit operating system, these changes will be especially relevant to you. We are discontinuing support for these PC Specs.

There's a bit of history here, so let's look at why!

Four years ago, Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP and 32-bit operating systems from 2001, which meant no more security updates or technical assistance. NVIDIA has also announced that they are halting 32-bit OS GeForce this month.

Right now, Warframe's official Minimum Specs still include Windows XP, DirectX 9 and 32-bit operating systems but with Microsoft and NVIDIA looking to phase out 2001 tech, we are also making changes to Warframe’s Minimum Specs for PC!

DirectX11 is more compatible and robust than older versions, and we would like to make full use of that! We have started to think about this with our new GPU particles - they aren’t supported by DirectX 9 but are a great visual feature supported by newer versions. Maintaining DirectX 9 compatibility can limit Warframe’s development, especially when we keep in mind prep for future releases after DirectX 11.

There are quality and security motivations too. Raising the Minimum Specs means Warframe will perform better and be more reliable on all supported systems. We want to keep player experiences safe and stable on operating systems that are up-to-date, secure, and supported by the companies that make them.

With all of this in mind, we plan to change Warframe’s Minimum Supported Specs to Windows 7, 64-bit operating systems, and Dx10. We don’t have a set date for this change yet, but we’ll keep you posted!

Thanks for the clarity; very useful information.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Valiant said:

High time indeed. The worst thing it happens in PUG is that the host has a friggin' microwave instead of a PC... Lag's fine but the mission is still totally blown up.

• Like 6
  • Woah 1
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, den2k said:

High time indeed. The worst thing it happens in PUG is that the host has a friggin' microwave instead of a PC... Lag's fine but the mission is still totally blown up.

To be honest, if you're running it on a microwave and the mission is blown up, this is relatively normal for a microwave.

• Like 6
  • Haha 14
  • Applause 5
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Retrospecter said:

To be honest, if you're running it on a microwave and the mission is blown up, this is relatively normal for a microwave.

Fair enough. I didn't think these missions were made of metal though, they seem more like cheese 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Satisfied 1
  • Applause 3

Dearly beloved, we're gathered here today to get rid of these things called potatoes. Electric potatoes have been used forever, and that's a mighty long time but I'm here to tell you there's something else....upgrades.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 2
  • Upvote 1

Perhaps these changes should have arrived when PoE arrived because PoE marks a point whether a low end computer can really handle more soon-to-come open worlds in this game, but here we are nonetheless.

Edited by Linerax
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Valiant said:

Sour Creme, Chives, and a Breadmaker!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1

It is fair and correct because the times passed and techniques came and went so it was a good move to the right direction. It is sad but those peoples whom still using early 2000's pc-s are considered the common users but if you followed the games and their evolution then you should not stick with these old machines and already had enough time to upgrade the pc to a much better one. Those peoples whom have job and earnings those can afford if they save money to buy a new correct one. Those peoples whom not in the age to work maybe they should ask their parents to buy a new one and then you can use it on other things too.

Oh you guys have no idea how potato you an get within the new minamums:

My PC I started warframe with 

E4500

4 gigs ram

GT720

Windows 10

I have since updated to a quad core i5 with eight gigs of ram. Still have the 720. So yea. Still plenty of potato out there.

Hopefully this menas Vulkan is gonna be in the future due to getting rid of legacy support nobody else is supporting.

• Upvote 2

I am happy with these min spec changes because the xp-vista is out to date and the 7 still a robust and useful system so at least the developers can spend their rescources on more up to date things. This changes should have been come 2-3 years ago.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

And so, it has happened:

Sad thing the conversation took a rather bitter turn, but it was inevitable.

Looking forward to the visual improvements that will result from this change.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, [DE]Helen said:

Maintaining DirectX 9 compatibility can limit Warframe’s development, especially when we keep in mind prep for future releases after DirectX 11.

Unfortunettly, if Warframe doesn't support DX9, i can't play the game anymore...

But, i hope you guys keep evolving the game, growing stronger every hotfix and update

Love you DE ❤️ 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 1

I guess with a 2006-2011 pc you can play this game just fine. Mine is 2 years old build so I think that it is not a problem for me. Those guys with early pc-s should invest into the potatoes.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Linerax said:

Perhaps these changes should have arrived when PoE arrived because PoE marks a point whether a low end computer can really handle more soon-to-come open worlds in this game, but here we are nonetheless.

More like Earth Rework. PoE runs better than Earth, unless you have 2GB ram.

• Like 1

My My, quite an interesting bit, Its wonderful seeing DE stepping on the upgrade bit but to be fair, if this was done sooner, then there may have been less mixed feelings on it since by now, more folks would have had to step up already in the PC specs department. But personally, i think we should not complain, if other high end games require strong PC's and those with potatoes cannot run them and they can't do anything about it, should it be fair that DE limit their progress so that the lower end PC's can stay on? and this is coming from someone with Half a Potato PC.

Why you change the system required to play Warframe? More people play Warframe in Windows 7 x86. And i play you this system. Please don't change the system, but if you change it, continue to more bigs updates for more intense experience! I love this game, and i play it every time if i have time. Remaind in x86 system required!

58 minutes ago, God_is_a_Cat_Girl said:

More like Earth Rework. PoE runs better than Earth, unless you have 2GB ram.

This. Plains doesn't lag at all, but certain Earth tiles just swallow frames.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 3

I am a Retro Gamer and I do have quite the large collection of retro PCs , but they are NOT my main rig - Main rig is a 6700-K with 24 gigs of DDR 4 , M.2 OS SSD , 1 TB game SSD , 4 TB & 1 TB general storage mechanical drives , and a 1 TB 2.5 inch mechanical drive taken from a dead laptop , VGA is a Sapphire Nitro + Vega 64  - it was nigh time people to realize that a computer from 2003 is not suitable for main PC , heck it can barely do chores such as email and simple browsing with today's demands .

Diablo 2 which is roughly the same age as XP (well LoD is , vanilla is 1 year older) cut the XP/Vista support a year ago . Truth is that Win 7 is going down the drain in less than 2 years (might even be less than 1 ) - the new motto should be Win 10 or no windows at all (8/8.1 are to be sunset very very soon after 7) .

In fact I can tell ya that a notoriously bad CPU (the first ever Intel attempt at multicore CPU - the Pentium D ) works way better under Windows 10 than any other OS - though the fact that it doubles as a space heater is still there , at least things happen way faster than on 7(let alone older windowzez) .

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, cimpanzeu03 said:

Why you change the system required to play Warframe? More people play Warframe in Windows 7 x86. And i play you this system. Please don't change the system, but if you change it, continue to more bigs updates for more intense experience! I love this game, and i play it every time if i have time. Remaind in x86 system required!

Windows 7 32Bit and 64Bit end its life in fall 2020 graphic cards makers like Nvidia and AMD are ending all support for 32 bit driver support 2019. 

You will have to update from your v ery old 32Bit windows 7 soon enough either way. 

• Like 2

1st of all, i hope this isn't the same excuse as many other games outthere, where making the game able to run on windows xp is something that takes 5 minutes, some developers like to call security issues or non supported OS by microsoft but the reality is in many cases, single files and simple edits make the game run just as normal

2nd, windows xp and direct x9 has been the salvation in many updates, something you failed to consider, there are many complaints after many updates where the sugestion to get something to work would be "disable 64 bit", "disable direct x10 and 11 from launcher", Windows xp (due to the lack of software updates) has been stable, if something is more demanding or something doesn't work, it's directly your fault, it's not a driver update, it's not a OS update, it's you. If there would be a time where the OS was to blame i honestly can't think of a single example

If we bring something let's say octavia 3rd ability, how many players complained about the lack of performance and how many times reverting to direct x9 under 32 bit was the solution?

My point is, you have consolidated the programing for such hardware, it is in other words flawless, and now you are not only removing the only stable floor for programers but also thinking about vulkan and mixing that with direct x10 and 11, you will certainly be overloaded, you have used and abused the rush mentality in warframe, reworks have reworks on them hours or only a few days afterwards, you guys are trying to release stuff without it being tested properly and this has been more and more used.

Direct x9 allowed for quick and reliable testing, it was usually the x10 and 11 giving you problems and now with vulkan nearby you guys have to seriously think about the priorities.

I am honestly displeased, i am currently trying to dual boot with a 64 bit windows 7 to see what kind of performance i have under direct x10, who knows, maybe the game will run better, but in anycase i am upset about this, i don't agree with it, the excuses are cliche, overused and should be avoided to cause any shame.

That's like saying the best warframe players are the ones with the best hardware, you can't be that shallow.

As for bringing subjects such as lag, lack of performance because someone is using windows xp, considering a pc a potato depending if it can run warframe or not, my sugestion to those players is to exit this topic and post in the apropriate sections like feedback or bugs, soon enough we will have players saying that a certain printer will cause FPS issues and i'm not in the mood to see nonsense.

So please, anounce a date and don't say something like "it's comming in the next hotfix in a few hours"

After the change, you have to deal with the consequences, you won't be able to recomend "disable this and that" to make the game run, you will certainly have more crashes, more FPS issues and sadly i will have to endure those problems, problems that i avoided completely because i was using hardware and a OS that simply worked, i understand that this displeases DE and some players outthere, shame on me from avoiding the consequences of your own rush mentality that breaks the game as soon the updates are released.

For........hmmmmf..........sake

Edited by KIREEK
  • Haha 2
  • Woah 1
  • Applause 7