[DE]Helen

PSA: Minimum Supported Specs Changes!

41 minutes ago, den2k said:

Please just don't drop Win7. It's still the best platform for gamers, especially those who play also to some older title. Also, it's much more solid over time (my Win10 at work had to be resurrected twice in 5 months, my Win7 twice in 4 years).

They're not even dropping Vista, let alone 7. 

That's also false, only 10 has DX12, you can't tell me that something that lacks a feature like that is still the best. Also all the games I play run better on 10 than they do on 7 or 8.1.

• Woah 1
  • Applause 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lokime said:

Dual core for life.

Core2Duo from ~2007 will still be able to run this lol.

1 minute ago, Rhundis said:

Just let me know when you no longer support 7. Otherwise, keep being awesome. 👍

Microsoft will drop Windows 7 support in 2020. However DE may only stop supporting 7 if Nvidia stops supporting it too. And I think Nvidia doesn't even think about dropping W7 support

• Like 1

I think this is a logical step forward, the only issue is that my computer runs a decent bit hot, and I've been using the program Hialgo Chill, which does a great job at lowering the draw/heat. Only problem, it's DX9 only.

i know this day would come as im playing on Win7 that is 32-bit and 2GB Ram (its hell in here when a CPU and RAM cost you equivalent of 144$)

well at least i have enjoyed the game to the point that i know how to get this and that and spended 300+ hours with no struggle at all...

welp.. i think im returning to the grindfest of Korean's MMO then..

Funny enough I wish I had XP back, as windows ten absolutely fights me to eidolon and back to run x16 programs XD however, as for Warframe, I am baffled at how amazingly well you got this game to run on x32 systems, the fact it even runs with 2gb is just... Honestly it's kind of stupid to limit yourselves so much, I mean granted you did amazing with said limits, but I can only imagine the heck that must of been when doing new content.   

I get some people can't afford newer systems, but if your really running a system that can't support x64 yet trying to run newer games (okay, wf isn't 'new', but it's updated to be 'current') your really squeezing that lemon dry.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RickyZen said:

i know this day would come as im playing on Win7 that is 32-bit and 2GB Ram (its hell in here when a CPU and RAM cost you equivalent of 144$)

well at least i have enjoyed the game to the point that i know how to get this and that and spended 300+ hours with no struggle at all...

???? ONLY Windows XP. Said nothing about 7???

2 hours ago, RickyZen said:

If your CPU supports it you can install the 64b-it version on that machine, the performance will be a bit worse when you don't have 4gb, of course. But if you can set aside ~15-20gb of storage you can dual-boot the 64 and 32-bit versions and use the 64-bit version for Warframe only.

• Applause 1

25 minutes ago, WingedCrusade said:

???? ONLY Windows XP. Said nothing about 7???

They are dropping 32 bit which he has.

About time.

When I was running my XP machine 4 years ago it was already extremely dated and was just a mess of wires and scavenged parts. And people are STILL using that as their main rig? what's wrong with you? Seriously. I am running Warframe with decent settings and good FPS with an old AMD A10 APU with an R7 250. Come on, it's not that difficult or expensive. And dont talk to me about living in a third world country, so do I and I worked part-time retail when I bought it. Took three months of savings, but it is doable.

• Applause 1

22 minutes ago, VadiseReikaz said:

About time.

When I was running my XP machine 4 years ago it was already extremely dated and was just a mess of wires and scavenged parts. And people are STILL using that as their main rig? what's wrong with you? Seriously. I am running Warframe with decent settings and good FPS with an old AMD A10 APU with an R7 250. Come on, it's not that difficult or expensive. And dont talk to me about living in a third world country, so do I and I worked part-time retail when I bought it. Took three months of savings, but it is doable.

I would say that would be better than relying on Intel integrated options, but not as good as a newer dedicated GPU. Still, it should get at least 30Fps at medium 1080 with minimums around 20 if I recall. At least on the refreshed Wraith Cooler. I think the big concern for many of these players is finding and reinstalling their OS and potentially getting a new GPU compared to the price of a new system build in the current market - which is prohibitive particularly for RAM and GPU in many markets. Now, I wouldn't recommend getting a Kaveri AMD APU but if one didn't mind Windows 10's privacy violation deals, and could afford speedy and stable XMP RAM with around 3000 Mhz overclock, a Vega based AMD 2400G would be a fine option for Warframe on a budget. Now as to what one makes and where, in retail you will usually make poor money if not a management employee sure, but its quite another thing to compare that to various other countries' work to pay conditions. Gear can often cost much more than they do in other countries due to overall country wealth; location; tariffs, or even just availability as is the popular reason for RAM prices currently.

1 hour ago, Urlan said:

I would say that would be better than relying on Intel integrated options, but not as good as a newer dedicated GPU. Still, it should get at least 30Fps at medium 1080 with minimums around 20 if I recall. At least on the refreshed Wraith Cooler. I think the big concern for many of these players is finding and reinstalling their OS and potentially getting a new GPU compared to the price of a new system build in the current market - which is prohibitive particularly for RAM and GPU in many markets. Now, I wouldn't recommend getting a Kaveri AMD APU but if one didn't mind Windows 10's privacy violation deals, and could afford speedy and stable XMP RAM with around 3000 Mhz overclock, a Vega based AMD 2400G would be a fine option for Warframe on a budget. Now as to what one makes and where, in retail you will usually make poor money if not a management employee sure, but its quite another thing to compare that to various other countries' work to pay conditions. Gear can often cost much more than they do in other countries due to overall country wealth; location; tariffs, or even just availability as is the popular reason for RAM prices currently.

The thing with Kaveri is that I am not just using it's iGPU, I am using it in dual graphics (Crossfire) with a dedicated R7 250. And It does reach 60FPS on respectable graphics levels on Warframe. If I turn off dual graphics I definitely see a strong hit in performance. And for the price of an already dated A10 7870k and an R7 250, you cant ask any more. And you can find some used DDR3 just as easily, run a couple of memtest86+ passes and if it's good, then you are good to go. And the whole thing cant be any more expensive than a current gen console.

For those having a serious issue with the upcomming changes, take this sugestion from a veteran XP, 32 bit, dx 9 user.

If you are stuck with such an old system then it means 1 of 2 things, you either can't afford an upgrade (not just money, as hassle and time is also a cost) or you have stabiized just like i did, with an OS that does what you need to do and that's it, no more updates that can mess things up, warframe updates give you a ton of examples.

Try to see if your system has a capable Dx10 card, on laptops that may not be possible, but if you have a desktop you can probably pick a hd 4850 from ati/amd and beyond and the performance will be decent if paired with atleast a decently speedy core 2 duo, these cpus are cheap and if you have one then i can say that you can buy the fastest one available for very, very cheap, but i understand if you don't want to do any forced spending, you are likely a freebie player, you probably trade for alot of platinum, so any spending that the game forces you to do is bad, i completely agree

If you meet the dx and some specs, you instantly have the potential to do most of the game (plains is an issue i admit), so don't worry, you can easily achieve great feats, good hardware doesn't make you a good player, i know this because i'm better than the vast majority, i'm being very lenient here, so yes, you can achieve great efficiency ingame, have fun, play with others with fairly decent visuals and framerate

Now comes the 64 bit windows 7 and beyond

Find a way to create a partition, make sure you have enough free space, split your harddrive or ssd into 2 or more and allocate enough space to install a 64 bit version of windows, you can get ISO images online, (pirate bay is a great source for it, altough you can try legitimate methods, altough you may face issues with product keys).

Download USB Universal installer: https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

This tool works on windows XP, you might think of using the official microsoft tool, however certain processes can only be executed on certain OS

Have a 4 GB usb atleast and use the program to format (NTFS) and to make bootable usb drive, boot into the usb and install for example a windows 7 64 bit

Windows 7 will automatically create a dual boot scenario that you can manage with "EasyBCD", you can disable the dual boot, make a system as default, add a timer, a choice or nothing at all and you can prepare yourself for warframe in the months to come, you have time to install the game and any aps you want and you can easily return to the old OS if you feel like it

Takes time? yes

It's a hassle? yes

Edited by KIREEK
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm on Win10, with a x64 and Dx10.1 compatible hardware, but I choose to run in 32bit Dx9 since it runs better, especially in regards to load times (universally, not limited to PoE/etc). This move won't affect me as much as some, but I hope that you guys will be able to hone in on further optimisations for the new minimum afterwards.

10 hours ago, Godzilla853 said:

They are dropping 32 bit which he has.

Ah...but there’s also literally no difference between 32bit and 64bit. Is Windows 7 unable to allow that change?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, [DE]Glen said:

Today I discovered another reason that really reinforces our decision to drop XP support:

Windows 10 (72% of our players yesterday) exposes a simple optimization we can do in our DirectX layer but only if we make a change that would be incompatible with Windows XP (the Windows platform SDK that exposes this optimization is only backwards compatible back to Vista).

Ive been playing this game for 5 years on my 32 bit windows vista. While im not too happy about the changes i understand the reasons behind such decisions so i will not beg you not to change the required specs. However i would like to ask of you to maybe delay those changes. Atleast so i can play Sacrifice quest and little longer with my friends before i go on a 1 year hiatus because of my PC not being good enough

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Praxxor said:

They're not even dropping Vista, let alone 7. 

That's also false, only 10 has DX12, you can't tell me that something that lacks a feature like that is still the best. Also all the games I play run better on 10 than they do on 7 or 8.1.

Excuse me, it's just that the whole bunch of libraries, Visual Studio versions, other compilers and drivers for industrial hardware gave me more problems on Win10 in a handful of months than Win7 in years. Not to mention games from 2000 or before, which I still play (Virtual Machines suck for games).

3 hours ago, Goliant said:

Ive been playing this game for 5 years on my 32 bit windows vista. While im not too happy about the changes i understand the reasons behind such decisions so i will not beg you not to change the required specs. However i would like to ask of you to maybe delay those changes. Atleast so i can play Sacrifice quest and little longer with my friends before i go on a 1 year hiatus because of my PC not being good enough

I'm sure it's down the line and not in the next major update, i mean that would be insane.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, WingedCrusade said:

Ah...but there’s also literally no difference between 32bit and 64bit. Is Windows 7 unable to allow that change?

I am unsure I just know that once they stop supporting 32 big those players won’t be able to play.

On 2018-06-05 at 11:10 AM, LinXiaoWong said:

It is fair and correct because the times passed and techniques came and went so it was a good move to the right direction. It is sad but those peoples whom still using early 2000's pc-s are considered the common users but if you followed the games and their evolution then you should not stick with these old machines and already had enough time to upgrade the pc to a much better one. Those peoples whom have job and earnings those can afford if they save money to buy a new correct one. Those peoples whom not in the age to work maybe they should ask their parents to buy a new one and then you can use it on other things too.

Technically this is a mature game so if you’re not of age and playing warframe, well... No parents’ wallets for them lol

Edited by WingedCrusade

My card and drivers use DX11, but because the bad networking I always disconnect when loading into the game. The only reliable way to fix constantly host migrating was to use DX9. I understand phasing out machines holding the game back, but this was the only way for some to fix the host migration problems. A bandaid would be to add an, "only host" option for matchmaking. (something many have been asking for awhile now.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KIREEK said:

I'm sure it's down the line and not in the next major update, i mean that would be insane.

I can only hope so.

7 hours ago, KIREEK said:

To be honest, depending on if umbra comes at the same time as venus open world it would be a good point to have a 'cut off' imo.  Yes it would upset some people but at the same time it would be even more upsetting for some players to get umbra and then potentially a few weeks later venus comes along with the increased system requirements etc.

It's pretty obvious that some of this is down to venus requirements too, not just EOL of xp and drivers, it is going to be bigger than PoE and plenty struggle with that while using higher than the minimum required specs.

Edited by LSG501
typo

On 2018-06-07 at 1:27 AM, Praxxor said:

If your CPU supports it you can install the 64b-it version on that machine, the performance will be a bit worse when you don't have 4gb, of course. But if you can set aside ~15-20gb of storage you can dual-boot the 64 and 32-bit versions and use the 64-bit version for Warframe only.

CPU is good, but my RAM is old 2GB from 2014. and yeah someday i'll upgrade it though..