[DE]Helen

PSA: Minimum Supported Specs Changes!

On 2018-06-05 at 9:00 PM, Czin said:

Less than 1k$? I mean unless you are joking, 1k/month of whatever currency that is is way more than many people get on a salary in many parts of the world. Unless its one of those currencies like yen/ruble etc.

Lol you really think people get less than a grand in the USA? You make over a grand a month in the USA doing fast food or walmart...Around here the minimum those pay is $10 an hour. Before taxes if you work full time that is $1600.

Edited by ZhouDraconis

23 minutes ago, ZhouDraconis said:

Lol you really think people get less than a grand in the USA? You make over a grand a month in the USA doing fast food or walmart...Around here the minimum those pay is $10 an hour. Before taxes if you work full time that is $1600.

It would probably be logical to consider after taxes and factoring in standard costs of living for the people looking to buy a computer or upgrade in this economic environment and then worrying about what spare cash one might have towards such expenses. I am figuring not many in the Walmart and McDonald's crowd are going to be able to do so easily without not paying all their expenses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZhouDraconis said:

I guess the cost of living in the USA must be really high, if your low-paying jobs need to pay that much to keep kids coming back to work at fast food chains. I mean one thing is to be working a low paying job and have no real expenses or monthly bills, but that is an even smaller percentage.

36 minutes ago, xXDeadsinxX said:

Welp, there goes my time playing Warframe. I have a 32-bit laptop. Rest In Peace.

Whats the specs of your laptop? Could probably find a 64bit alternative for cheap.

2 hours ago, Czin said:

I guess the cost of living in the USA must be really high, if your low-paying jobs need to pay that much to keep kids coming back to work at fast food chains. I mean one thing is to be working a low paying job and have no real expenses or monthly bills, but that is an even smaller percentage.

It costs about $80 a month just to have internet....so yeah life in the USA isn't cheap. I basically cannot afford to pay all my bills in a month on my disability. And the government people complain they can't make a living on the somewhere around about 175k they get in a year...

3 hours ago, Urlan said:

It would probably be logical to consider after taxes and factoring in standard costs of living for the people looking to buy a computer or upgrade in this economic environment and then worrying about what spare cash one might have towards such expenses. I am figuring not many in the Walmart and McDonald's crowd are going to be able to do so easily without not paying all their expenses.

Before taxes they have twice as much as me to live off. After taxes they still have a lot more than I do. You have to decide what and where to spend your money. Lets face it. They could take a bus and save some money a few days a week. Gas isn't cheap. They could make food rather than eat fast food. Fast food is super expensive and we all commit that crime. The more you do it the less you can afford. But one component every couple of months and you have a brand new system in a year.

2 hours ago, xXDeadsinxX said:

Welp, there goes my time playing Warframe. I have a 32-bit laptop. Rest In Peace.

Maybe your laptop supports 64bit OS, what are the specs?

time to feed the hamsters *spreads feed in a broad gesture* 
work hard, play hard, bois!

My old intel Q6600 a 10 year old processor supports 64 bit i think its mostly people not using 64bit OS that is the problem, the GPU i got with that pc some 10-11 years ago supported dx 10.1 so i think this change is not that bad.

Most modern game engines do not even support 32bit as far as i know, unreal 4 and frostbite are 2 of the big ones as far as i know.

And recent games have stopped supporting 32bit as well, world is changing and i cant say its a bad thing that 32bit and dx9 are being left behind.

4 hours ago, tripko said:

My old intel Q6600 a 10 year old processor supports 64 bit i think its mostly people not using 64bit OS that is the problem, the GPU i got with that pc some 10-11 years ago supported dx 10.1 so i think this change is not that bad.

Most modern game engines do not even support 32bit as far as i know, unreal 4 and frostbite are 2 of the big ones as far as i know.

And recent games have stopped supporting 32bit as well, world is changing and i cant say its a bad thing that 32bit and dx9 are being left behind.

Both are obselete nowadays with 32bit os only being good for older machines that also need 16 bit application support.

Perfect if you want a windows machine that can handle older games, especially dos without the use of dosbox but beyond that its time to move on to a better machine or at least a 64 bit OS if the cpu is already compatable.

On 2018-06-07 at 8:08 PM, RickyZen said:

CPU is good, but my RAM is old 2GB from 2014. and yeah someday i'll upgrade it though..

Have you looked at used ram? 4gb ddr3 sticks go for $10-15 on the US r/hardwareswap.  I know hardware prices can be nuts in other countries but it's probably worth looking into if you haven't.

I only started playing Warframe recently but was really getting into it.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. I'll be back if I ever win the lottery I guess...

😞

On 2018-06-10 at 10:35 PM, Aggh said:

Have you looked at used ram? 4gb ddr3 sticks go for $10-15 on the US r/hardwareswap.  I know hardware prices can be nuts in other countries but it's probably worth looking into if you haven't.

yeah.. but i got rumours of scams about this r/hardwareswap things.. so i ruled it out..

well at least i can do some tweaks then..

On 2018-06-08 at 8:41 PM, broderbr said:

It's works, right?  If you have a 20 years Muscle Car, you going sell just because hes old??? Come on.... The thing here its about money man, not just tech    😉
And i dont ask for not evolve the game, just keep an option for low specs players.... 😉

that 20 year old muscle car has likely had several upgrades or repairs done to it in those 20 years...

Honestly I feel these players on specs that are 12 years old, or even older more (my s939 opteron 175 was from 2005 supports x64 windows 7, so that's my baseline) need to realise that it's not DE's fault that they haven't upgraded.  Trying to use a 12 year old pc for gaming now is like driving round in a ford model t (without it being modified or restored), while it might start, it's not going to go far. 

Now some will say they can't afford to upgrade to a newer one and my response to that is you've had 12 years where you could have put a little aside each week for a new pc so that's not really an excuse either.  

DE NEEDS to do this change, new games are coming that look much better visually than warframe, if DE wants to make money (and I'd put money on players with 'toasters' spending less in game too) they need to make sure the game plays well and looks good (plus good content which makes spending money worthwhile).  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RickyZen said:

yeah.. but i got rumours of scams about this r/hardwareswap things.. so i ruled it out..

well at least i can do some tweaks then..

So just buy from reliable sellers.  It's about the same as ebay, you only get scammed if you're stupid.

On 2018-06-09 at 7:41 PM, ZhouDraconis said:

Before taxes they have twice as much as me to live off. After taxes they still have a lot more than I do. You have to decide what and where to spend your money. Lets face it. They could take a bus and save some money a few days a week. Gas isn't cheap. They could make food rather than eat fast food. Fast food is super expensive and we all commit that crime. The more you do it the less you can afford. But one component every couple of months and you have a brand new system in a year.

$1 hamburgers are expensive? 

Just to add my bit in:

I think it's a fair thing to accept that, as tech evolves, old tech gets left behind. As such, ditching support for WinXP and DX9 makes sense. 32-bit systems is probably the only thing that could be argued against but I'm guessing there's a reason for that.

For anyone on such old PCs, I would highly advise trying to get hold of something newer. The fact that DE has pulled support for WinXP is a testament to commitment considering Microsoft pulled support for it years ago. You're playing on very old hardware - time to put it down and shift over to Win7. You won't regret it. If pricing is a problem due to a lack of income for one reason or another, then I can only sympathize.

It does raise an interesting thought. @[DE]Helen, @[DE]Glen, don't suppose anyone in your office has discussed a snapshot build for those left behind? Obviously it would come with monstrous caveats (no more live events, missing performance options/upgrades, stuff like that), but otherwise a functional playable build that is the last version supported on these specs.

1 hour ago, Juvieus_Kaine said:

It does raise an interesting thought. @[DE]Helen, @[DE]Glen, don't suppose anyone in your office has discussed a snapshot build for those left behind? Obviously it would come with monstrous caveats (no more live events, missing performance options/upgrades, stuff like that), but otherwise a functional playable build that is the last version supported on these specs.

Why? The whole point is to be done and over with 32bit and DX9, not waste any more resources in perpetuating support for it.

7 hours ago, LSG501 said:

Now some will say they can't afford to upgrade to a newer one and my response to that is you've had 12 years where you could have put a little aside each week for a new pc so that's not really an excuse either.  

Unless of course you don't have a little to put aside each week.

I'm not saying DE shouldn't move ahead with technology. Just that some of us can't.

1 hour ago, Wolfways said:

Unless of course you don't have a little to put aside each week.

I'm not saying DE shouldn't move ahead with technology. Just that some of us can't.

Then you have to accept at some point what you have will not be good enough instead of trying to get DE to keep supporting antiquated hardware. 

You're lucky that DE has allowed the low end pc's to play the game as long as they have because lets be honest they've not been good enough for quite some time and MS stopped supporting xp years ago.

On 2018-06-06 at 4:54 AM, bungawunga said:

I would love to know how the playerbase's hardware correlates with the set of players that actually make purchases in the game.

Otherwise I welcome the change offering better performance on better hardware granted it fixes all the issues I perceive currently.

I think you can probably guess the answer to this one fairly accurately.

Even on hiatus, I applaud this change. Being chained to old, obsolete (for gaming) 32-bit machines drags the game down. You cannot have improved AI, truly large, open maps or more complex quests/mission requirements on systems with a (likely) single core CPU that (are, definitely) capped at 3GB RAM. It just CANNOT be done. 

This was inevitable. And I strongly suspect that, officially or not, Venus will be the breaking point for 32-bit potatoes. 

This is why, instead of buying a $600 "Budget" gaming rig the minute I could afford one, I save another entire year and bought a future proofed current gen core i7 in a large case, with tons of RAM and an 8GB 1070 GPU. It set me back, sure...but I can play games on it for the next half a decade without much hesitation or thought to specs. 

All that said, I DO think DE should offer another one time account migration to console before they do this. 

Edited by BlackCoMerc
  • Like 3

Good to hear. Unfortunate that there's been a group of people holding back PC gaming's potential technological advancements for engines back for so long because they refuse to buy RAM, or what ever silly excuse it was that people were using as to why they kept using XP...

Edited by Ceryk
  • Woah 1

1 hour ago, LSG501 said:

Then you have to accept at some point what you have will not be good enough instead of trying to get DE to keep supporting antiquated hardware. 

You're lucky that DE has allowed the low end pc's to play the game as long as they have because lets be honest they've not been good enough for quite some time and MS stopped supporting xp years ago.

I said I accept it, but I wouldn't say I'm lucky to have a game I enjoy playing suddenly taken away from me.

9 hours ago, Urabask said:

So just buy from reliable sellers.  It's about the same as ebay, you only get scammed if you're stupid.

$1 hamburgers are expensive? 

$1 for about an ounce of hamber and some woodpulp is expensive lol. Plus no one buys one.

49 minutes ago, Wolfways said:

I said I accept it, but I wouldn't say I'm lucky to have a game I enjoy playing suddenly taken away from me.

I am poor as hell lol. Just slowly upgrade your pc. If you really want to keep playing.