[DE]Helen

PSA: Minimum Supported Specs Changes!

On 2018-06-13 at 9:06 AM, Slaviar said:

This update didn't drop yet but it doesn't mean something wasn't broken on the way.

Anyway, unless you really need laptop, you should never buy 'gaming' laptops, and even then you should consider buying both desktop and laptop.

I acknowledged in my post that all gamers think very lowly of the concept of a "gaming laptop", so please spare me the lecture. Do I also need to divulge the circumstances that led to me owning this laptop and why I might not be able to afford buying a new computer right away? Just working with what I have here

Edited by Gnohme

1 hour ago, Gnohme said:

I acknowledged in my post that all gamers think very lowly of the concept of a "gaming laptop", so please spare me the lecture. Do I also need to divulge the circumstances that led to me owning this laptop and why I might not be able to afford buying a new computer right away? Just working with what I have here

I have nothing against players getting gaming laptops if that is what works for them, so that first part is hardly true. There are concerns about the graphics or cooling power of laptops and with the issue of battery life, sometimes these systems are not the best option, but what works for the user is the best solution. That said, for dedicated gaming rigs, I often point people towards desktops for a longer upgrade life and relative use of access in modification, swapping parts, and availability. If your system's gear still works, by all means continue to use it! You might have to look into a 64 bit OS upgrade though if necessary with the support of your laptop manufacturer and I would acquire pertinent patches for the 64 bit version if available.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Urlan said:

I have nothing against players getting gaming laptops if that is what works for them, so that first part is hardly true. There are concerns about the graphics or cooling power of laptops and with the issue of battery life, sometimes these systems are not the best option, but what works for the user is the best solution. That said, for dedicated gaming rigs, I often point people towards desktops for a longer upgrade life and relative use of access in modification, swapping parts, and availability. If your system's gear still works, by all means continue to use it! You might have to look into a 64 bit OS upgrade though if necessary with the support of your laptop manufacturer and I would acquire pertinent patches for the 64 bit version if available.

Understood, yeah my laptop is kind of a combo of at home stationary gaming machine, and at home or on the go music production. It may have not been the most optimal choice for either of those things but my family binged to get it for me without really telling me about it - which, no slight on them. It's worked out in the long run.  Cause I've got nearly 400 hours in Warframe and now I have nearly enough money to buy a new computer - have to think about rent right now though so I apologize for being a tad touchy. I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility for one or two of its parts going out right about now, as I've had it for approximately a year and a half to two years, which I think on my previous HPs was always the standard for when the fan would start to go out.

Edited by Gnohme

https://www.warframe.com/news/minimum-supported-specs-changes

So currently I am using the 32-bit setting for warframe, the reasoning behind this is that I have found that when the game freezes, it is able to un-freeze without needing to reset. Many may know to what I am referring to, the infamous screen-freeze-but-the-game-continues-in-the-background-glitch. For me, switching over to 32-Bit completely solved the problem for me, however if 32-Bit is removed and the screen freeze continues, could y'all fix the glitch before getting rid of 64-Bit mode?

Also, anyone else having this problem? Just wondering.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Gnohme said:

Understood, yeah my laptop is kind of a combo of at home stationary gaming machine, and at home or on the go music production. It may have not been the most optimal choice for either of those things but my family binged to get it for me without really telling me about it - which, no slight on them. It's worked out in the long run.  Cause I've got nearly 400 hours in Warframe and now I have nearly enough money to buy a new computer - have to think about rent right now though so I apologize for being a tad touchy. I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility for one or two of its parts going out right about now, as I've had it for approximately a year and a half to two years, which I think on my previous HPs was always the standard for when the fan would start to go out.

No, I totally feel you there on choosing between rent and computer upgrades! I hope that you are able to find a solid option for continuing to play Warframe!

• Like 1
  • Satisfied 1

I used to have that issue on my old GPU and disabling DX11 or multi-threaded rendering used to fix it without having to resort to 32-bit. Can you try those when you have the time? I'm genuinely interested.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, johnnjlee said:

https://www.warframe.com/news/minimum-supported-specs-changes

So currently I am using the 32-bit setting for warframe, the reasoning behind this is that I have found that when the game freezes, it is able to un-freeze without needing to reset. Many may know to what I am referring to, the infamous screen-freeze-but-the-game-continues-in-the-background-glitch. For me, switching over to 32-Bit completely solved the problem for me, however if 32-Bit is removed and the screen freeze continues, could y'all fix the glitch before getting rid of 64-Bit mode?

Also, anyone else having this problem? Just wondering.

I don't think WF is compiled in 64 bit, as pointer sizes and API calls would differ fairly wildly and it wouldn't work on 32 bit, while a 32 bit compiled binary will always be able of being run on a 64 bit environment without problems.

A major rewriting of the codebase to native 64 bit isn't really foreseeable due to the costs involved and time required, so I think you could rest easy with your settings.

On 2018-06-13 at 12:07 PM, taiiat said:

ah, while that's not exact information, it's enough to determine what generation it's from. while certainly aging, it's still completely supported by Warframe.
LGA1156 and GTX200 aren't what i would recommend one to have performance wise, but it will remain being supported by Warframe, if that's all you're concerned about.

so yeah if Warframe support is all that matters, installing a 64-Bit Operating System is all you need to do. though i would recommend looking for more recent used hardware, the performance difference would be quite massive in most cases!

Great thanks 🙂

Is there any way to avoid losing everything I currently have on my HDD? I'm guessing using an external drive is the only option.

1 hour ago, den2k said:

I don't think WF is compiled in 64 bit, as pointer sizes and API calls would differ fairly wildly and it wouldn't work on 32 bit, while a 32 bit compiled binary will always be able of being run on a 64 bit environment without problems.

A major rewriting of the codebase to native 64 bit isn't really foreseeable due to the costs involved and time required, so I think you could rest easy with your settings.

I have no idea whats causing it, but it happened to fix the freezes after switching over to 32-Bit

1 hour ago, Praxxor said:

I used to have that issue on my old GPU and disabling DX11 or multi-threaded rendering used to fix it without having to resort to 32-bit. Can you try those when you have the time? I'm genuinely interested.

Yeah I'll give that a shot in a bit for sure.

4 hours ago, Gnohme said:

Yup, feel free to.

Jokes aside, @Urlan nailed it.

BTW, verifing download cache might give you some performance boost.

3 hours ago, Wolfways said:

Great thanks 🙂

Is there any way to avoid losing everything I currently have on my HDD? I'm guessing using an external drive is the only option.

As long as you keep your current HDD when you move systems, you won't need to worry about data loss. You could either upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 (Windows 10 installation gives you the option to keep files and only write over the old OS sectors). You could also just take the drive out, plug it into the new system and delete OS files to keep your PC from trying to boot from it (I would recommend that you copy the data to another disk, clean the old drive, and then you can use it however you like). If you buy a Samsung SSD, Samsung has a drive cloning software that works pretty well, not to mention SSD performance (there is probably other software if you don't get a Samsung SSD). External drives are an option, but not necessary.

1 hour ago, Slaviar said:

Yup, feel free to.

Jokes aside, @Urlan nailed it.

BTW, verifing download cache might give you some performance boost.

Too late! I already spilled my guts. But also I have tried this and it didn't seem to help, but I'll probably do it again just to make sure.

1 hour ago, eastman51 said:

As long as you keep your current HDD when you move systems, you won't need to worry about data loss. You could either upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 (Windows 10 installation gives you the option to keep files and only write over the old OS sectors). You could also just take the drive out, plug it into the new system and delete OS files to keep your PC from trying to boot from it (I would recommend that you copy the data to another disk, clean the old drive, and then you can use it however you like). If you buy a Samsung SSD, Samsung has a drive cloning software that works pretty well, not to mention SSD performance (there is probably other software if you don't get a Samsung SSD). External drives are an option, but not necessary.

Okay thanks. I guess I'm going to have to lose everything as I only have the one drive and buying another is not an option.

I'll be keeping Win7 but changing to 64-bit as I already have that, and I'd prefer not to have to do anything inside the case because every time I do I break something (even broke it once just removing the side panel... no idea how).

On 2018-06-13 at 12:06 PM, Slaviar said:

you should never buy 'gaming' laptops

the fad of telling people to never buy high performance Notebooks stopped being funny a long time ago.
especially thesedays with Gaming Notebooks having access to exceptional performance with GPU Dies almost identical to their Desktop counterparts. letting them have all of high efficiency, high performance, and low manufacturing cost all at once.

if someone wants high performance out of their Notebook, then a ""Gaming Notebook"" is exactly where they would be looking.

14 hours ago, den2k said:

that is total nonsense. running as an x86 Application with an x86-64 wrapper would provide Digital Extremes with no benefits of being x86-64. 
doing that would be on the same level of useless as almost all of the 'DirectX 12 supported' games thusfar, which are a wrapper on top of Dx11. which has the only benefit of reducing total performance while gaining access to exactly 0 of the benefits of DirectX 12.

if a game is supporting 32-Bit and 64-Bit, yes those are two different code bases. just as they are for each Operating System. that's... just how that works.

13 hours ago, Wolfways said:

unfortunately installing Windows from scratch is the only option - for a hardware slim option, you can backup your important data to Google Drive or something.
you won't be able to have a seamless transition though, you'll have to reinstall everything all over again, reinstall all of your Drivers, Et Cetera. since you aren't moving to another set of hardware unfortunately i can't help you make a seamless transition (if you had two sets of hardware there is a way to have Drivers and installed Applications have all the Registry Entries transferred over, Et Cetera).

10 hours ago, AnonumusSoldier said:

What will happen to steam users where the game is natively installed as 32bit?

no worries there, the game isn't locked into being installed as 32-Bit! it is just as flexible as the standalone build. just tick 64-Bit in the Launcher settings and that's it!

• Satisfied 1

22 minutes ago, taiiat said:

the fad of telling people to never buy high performance Notebooks stopped being funny a long time ago.
especially thesedays with Gaming Notebooks having access to exceptional performance with GPU Dies almost identical to their Desktop counterparts. letting them have all of high efficiency, high performance, and low manufacturing cost all at once.

if someone wants high performance out of their Notebook, then a ""Gaming Notebook"" is exactly where they would be looking.

Unless someone has need specifically for powerful laptop I can't see many reasons to buy it over decent PC.

10 hours ago, Gnohme said:

Too late! I already spilled my guts. But also I have tried this and it didn't seem to help, but I'll probably do it again just to make sure.

It will sound stupid as we are in a thread about dropping DX9 and 32 bit support... But try 32 bit mode.

13 hours ago, Slaviar said:

Unless someone has need specifically for powerful laptop I can't see many reasons to buy it over decent PC.

presumably, and obviously, if one is interested in a Notebook, portability is probably an important point for them.

sure, i always recommend Desktops first to friends/customers/acquaintances, but if they highly desire portability, i'm not going to tell them that no such thing exists or that they can't buy what's suitable for them despite that it exists. that's just unhelpful.
especially that i aforementioned that Desktop Silicon is filtering its way into Notebooks, meaning they are less and less sacrifices of performance(you lose some maximum performance ofcourse, but stuff still runs at solid speeds) and reliability, and instead just a premium for portability. there's so many good options out there and they're only getting better.

On 2018-06-05 at 6:47 PM, cimpanzeu03 said:

Why you change the system required to play Warframe? More people play Warframe in Windows 7 x86. And i play you this system. Please don't change the system, but if you change it, continue to more bigs updates for more intense experience! I love this game, and i play it every time if i have time. Remaind in x86 system required!

There is a reason NOT to be on 32-bit OS.

I was forced once to upgrade my PC. In 2011 I was not able to play Battlefield 3 on my 32-bit Windows XP. So I upgraded MOBO, CPU, RAM, GPU but instead of going to 32-bit Seven I choose 64.

It was a good move to go 64-bit. I started with 4Gig of RAM then upgraded to 12.

PS. I still run WF on this PC, I only had to upgrade GPU midway.

On 2018-06-30 at 5:59 PM, Caduardo3195 said:

My Operating System is 32-bit and I only have 2GB of RAM, I'll be honest, I'm sad...

I don't see how you can even play now.....

I have a question.... what if you cancel the Direct X update due to your windows 10 admin has no password. is there a way to manually update your Direct X?

DX10 is freezing game but it is still working in background. I can hear movement of warframe. On DX9 isn't possible to play due to maps background is overlaying on other textures. DE please help us find solution, fix, to get rid of this screen freezing problem.

On 2018-06-05 at 11:47 PM, cimpanzeu03 said:

Why you change the system required to play Warframe? More people play Warframe in Windows 7 x86. And i play you this system. Please don't change the system, but if you change it, continue to more bigs updates for more intense experience! I love this game, and i play it every time if i have time. Remaind in x86 system required!

And stuck with max 3.5gb ram max?, Yes warframe didn't require that much yet, but the game had to evolve to keep with modern tech, there might be more bigger, complex, and detailed enviroment coming in the future, and those will be a real ram hog