Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(XB1/PS4) Virtual Cursor Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

The Virtual Cursor is live on XB1 and PS4 in Beasts of the Sanctuary: Update 22.20.6!

To read the full dedicated Dev Workshop head on over to: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/962550-dev-workshop-upcoming-console-virtual-cursor-changes-d-pad-functionality-for-all-platforms/

[Expand spoiler below for changes]

Spoiler

• Scrolling is now done using the right stick. 
    • Pretty straightforward! Move the stick up to scroll up and down to scroll down, move right for right and move left for left. 
  • Moving the new virtual cursor is done by moving the left stick. 
    • The cursor can move freely around any part of the screen, you are not locked to any one menu item as you would be using the D-Pad/Left stick prior to these changes.
  • Selecting items within the menus is now done primarily by using your default selection button (unless officially assigned in the UI - Captura for example). 
    • For example: Options in the Arsenal (Equip, Upgrade, Appearance, Abilities) are now all selectable by hovering your cursor over the desired tab and hitting X.
  • Windows with fields where you can increase values (ex: Sentient Core redemption at Quill Onkko) will require you to hover over the desired field with your cursor and use the bumpers to increase/decrease values. 
    • The bumper icons will “activate” when you’re hovering over an area to indicate which window bumper activity will affect.
  • Interacting with the Modding UI:
    • To equip a Mod select it by hovering your cursor over it and then drag it to a slot by holding down your select button.
    • Once you’re in the slot area you do not need to hold it anymore and will be able to move freely about with the Mod in hand.
    • Want to swap an already equipped Mod with one from your inventory? Drag and drop it over a Mod in your inventory! 
    • Unequipping a Mod is done by hovering over it and using the assigned button (triangle) - so nothing’s changed here!
  • You will have the option to change the UI Cursor Sensitivity (speed) in the “Controls” Options to your liking.
  • D-Pad interacts with the virtual cursor in the following ways: 
    • You can swap back and forth from the virtual cursor (and from keyboard/mouse inputs) using the left stick to using the D-Pad . 
      • The virtual cursor will travel with the D-Pad movement.
    • Using the D-Pad will snap your cursor to whatever button is nearest to it at that time.
    • This is also dependent on which directional button (up/down, left/right) you press. 
    • Scrolling will still be done by using your right-stick - the D-Pad will traverse over UI items but will not scroll if you motion to the edge of a menu.  

We will be closely monitoring your feedback/bug reports! These are some big changes, so we understand it will be quite jarring when you first get to moving around the UI. But with that said, we really do appreciate your constructive feedback so that we know where we can improve. If you are reporting a bug, provide screenshot/video where possible. 

Thank you for your time as Warframe continues to develop!

On 2018-06-06 at 5:29 PM, [DE]Danielle said:

Virtual Cursor Action Plan! Thank you for you feedback!! 

2 minutes ago, [DE]Danielle said:

Hey Tenno, checking in before the weekend to give you an update on what we've been up to with the virtual cursor. The following is a list of priority items we've been working on improving/fixing and will continue work on as most do require a lot of testing and fine tuning:

• Improving the navigating speed in certain menus when using the D-Pad. 
  • Fixing the D-Pad skipping over items in menu lists.
  • Fixing the D-Pad not working in the World State Window. 
  • Fixing the D-Pad landing on invisible menu items (this affects menus across the game, so will require quite a bit of time to test).
  • Fixing being unable to use RB/R1 and LB/R2 quick buttons in any menu if you close the pause menu in Navigation while the matchmaking drop-down bar is open.
  • Fixing being unable to select player list options in chat when using the D-Pad.

We can't say enough how much we appreciate your feedback and bug reporting. As always you guys are a tremendous part of Warframe's growth! 

Edited by [DE]Danielle
Edited in recent post!
  • Like 3

Feedback from an Xbox One X user:

1. Navigating the foundry using the D-pad is much slower because it is waiting on the new virtual cursor animation to slide to the next selected value. 

2. When a menu open a default value should be selected and the cursor moved to that value.  Users can no longer click "talk" and then select the first option with a simple button click.  The user must move the D-pad or move the virtual cursor over the menu to activate it.

3. When using the D-pad to the navigation places like the foundry or offerings it should scroll when I go down.  Scrolling only works using the right joystick.  

Overall my experience with the new virtual cursor is negative and would severely warn people before begin playing the game because it can be off-putting.

• Like 5

while i like the changes to the ui color i find the changes to how the ui function to be more annoying than anything.  such as syandana previewing, i cant spin my warframe to properly see how its looks, i cant quickly go into say upgrade and appearance i have to use the cursor to physically go to them.  and the mod page changes ar just annoying the old system was better because i could just quickly choose the spot where a mod goes instead of dragging and dropping.  can we either have the old system back or an option to swap back to it.  and everything is just slower in general.

Edited by wasp609
  • Like 4

Normally I like to try things for a while before making any comments about how they work, but like others are saying the navigation feels much slower and hard to transition from one thing to the next. Normally it wouldn't take anymore than a minute or 2 to make quick changes on a warframe loadout before starting a new mission, but now that we have to manually select everything without shortcuts in the arsenal, and the transition time for the cursor itself, every little change takes much longer. increasing the actual movement speed helps a little, but it also makes it harder to accurately scroll over the buttons without passing them. In my honest opinion, the older UI style was much sleeker and more adapted for controller use.

• Like 5

On a relay i cant use d-pad bcz of delay, nothing happens few seconds until cursor moves to actual context menu.

Why i cant rotate warframe in arsenal while cursor on context selection menu. Same for market. I tried buy syandana n hey there no way turn around wf n actually preview item.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)KresTias said:

On a relay i cant use d-pad bcz of delay, nothing happens few seconds until cursor moves to actual context menu.

Why i cant rotate warframe in arsenal while cursor on context selection menu. Same for market. I tried buy syandana n hey there no way turn around wf n actually preview item.

We've got a fix for the Market rotating issues. Stay tuned!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, (XB1)EternalBladeOps said:

Normally I like to try things for a while before making any comments about how they work, but like others are saying the navigation feels much slower and hard to transition from one thing to the next. Normally it wouldn't take anymore than a minute or 2 to make quick changes on a warframe loadout before starting a new mission, but now that we have to manually select everything without shortcuts in the arsenal, and the transition time for the cursor itself, every little change takes much longer. increasing the actual movement speed helps a little, but it also makes it harder to accurately scroll over the buttons without passing them. In my honest opinion, the older UI style was much sleeker and more adapted for controller use.

This. So much this... Navigating is now painfuly slow

• Like 3

1 - Navigating in the arsenal feels slow when it comes to accessing your warframe/weapon menus. Can we keep the cursor, but maintain the X, O and Triangle shortcuts to the sub-menus?

2 - Cursor speed is slower in the Navigation menu. Could use a little bit more speed there while keeping it the same on the Arsenal.

3 - Cursor will remain in the last position if I close and open a menu. Can it always appear at the center of the screen whenever I open a menu?

Edited by Guest

To be honest I hate it. It is probably awesome for VR users, but it is so counter intuitive with a controller. We should be able to chose one over the other. Everything is slower. Everything take one extra step. You press start and the cursor is at some random position. you have to press the d pad, and for a whole second the cursor will move to a menu context. UI was well done for me. But now it is almost unusable. Also, when you press options, sometimes only one direction of the D-Pad will work. Press up nothing happens, p^ress down and the animation to a menu context starts. Why fix what was not broken?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, [DE]Danielle said:

It's already mentioned in the spoilers in the OP, but! In case you guys missed it, you can absolutely change the speed of the cursor by going in the “Controls” Options and changing it to to your liking.

To be honest, navigation in menus should be instantaneous.

• Like 1

Well, it's terrible at best. I have players quitting the game left and right because of these changes.

It takes us 6-8x the amount of time to do anything in the menus now, chatting in game is now time consuming, modding takes more time and 2 hands now.

Why are our quick shortcut keys gone? (Triangle, Square etc to be able to move around efficiently.)

No more Triangle in the arsenal to quick select, have to wait for the cursor to float to the next object, drag and drop is a PC thing, we don't use a mouse so why do we even have this feature?

Chat must be highlighted to move up and down in it, I use that chat 24/7 as I run an Alliance and need to moderate the chat so now my work is doubled just trying to read everything.

Must now use 2 hands to scroll up and down in menus like Options, when before you could just keep pressing down and the menu would go with you.

Lastly, I have motion sickness and this game has never triggered it before, but now with the floating menu cursor gliding everywhere and not snapping directly to menu items I am triggered nonstop now.

Proposed Fix:
Give us an option to turn this new cursor feature on and off in the Options menu please. Bare minimum give us an option to instantly snap the cursor everywhere we want it to go using the D-pad, not floating it gently over because that wastes time.

DE Feedback MEGATHREAD for New UI Changes:

Edited by (PS4)bauer5266
Added a link to the DE Feedback MEGATHREAD for this topic.
  • Like 14

Personally I liked the idea of the mouse cursor, but feel it was implemented really poorly. There are some places where it works well, foundry and swapping mods works, changing weapons, not so much. D-pad doesn't feel right because of the need for the cursor animations is my understanding. Quick snapping should sort that out. Having the hotkeys back in Arsenal would also help alot. Overall, just add a toggle in the options. Solves everyone's complaints. Have a toggle for what menu it appears in and which it doesn't would be awesome but probably annoying to implement. Personally Id like a button, left analog stick maybe, that turns it on and off on the fly, would be useful then.

• Like 2

Wait, there's no Off switch? I knew it would be the new default, but I expected at least a way to turn it off...

I fully suppot and agree with this post. As a guy who mainly pays warframe via remote play on playstation vita, its even worse for me. I really want the old ui back or a way to opt out. The old controls were great. 

Please give us a way to choose to use the old ui controls. 

This change is a worst thing that could possibly happen to the game for console players. Worse than any nerf they could think of. 

Edited by (PS4)RedKain243
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, (XB1)KnightmareO said:

Personally I liked the idea of the mouse cursor, but feel it was implemented really poorly. There are some places where it works well, foundry and swapping mods works, changing weapons, not so much. D-pad doesn't feel right because of the need for the cursor animations is my understanding. Quick snapping should sort that out. Having the hotkeys back in Arsenal would also help alot. Overall, just add a toggle in the options. Solves everyone's complaints. Have a toggle for what menu it appears in and which it doesn't would be awesome but probably annoying to implement. Personally Id like a button, left analog stick maybe, that turns it on and off on the fly, would be useful then.

I totally agree!

• Like 2

At first I found the UI navigation to be a bit awkward with the new virtual cursor, but the dpad functionality helps and although overall slower than what we had before from a few minutes of trying it in various menus I think I could get used to it.

However, on a whim I pluggd in the mouse and keyboard, it works great, menu navigation is amazing and fluid with the mouse and in most places the keyboard interface is working well as well.

I know this won't suit everyone, but giving us this functionality is great. It even works ingame for controlling the frame etc, however we can't customise any kekboard controls yet, so still trying to work my way around what does what.

There needs to be an option to let users change back to the old style. The cursor option is only good if you're using a mouse and keyboard. Consoles don't currently support that feature, unless you buy peripherals. The items needed for using mouse and keyboard on console aren't cheap either. 

Edit: After playing around with the cursor, it is not as bad as some make it to be. It has very niche capabilities that could be of better use with the old UI. For instance, the hotkeys for customizing Frames would be nice to have back. Some menu options aren't as bad, bearable, but not bad. 

Edited by (XB1)CrimsonFatalisX
Added my thoughts. May add more.
  • Like 1