Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(XB1/PS4) Virtual Cursor Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

9 hours ago, (PS4)chubbslawson said:

I got a feeling that after page after page has been written about how these changes suck they will not change them back, that’s sucks.

Well that sort of matches what was said months ago when the thread was started, so...... 

But they've asked us what needs fixing. Some stuff has been, some seems to be coming, and the way I see it, if they fix enough stuff, sooner or later, it'll become easier for them to give us a toggle for a system that works as well as the old one did. 

I humbly request the removal of the enforced delineation between Keyboard & Mouse and Controller inputs, or at the very least, making auto-detection optional. It's a nightmare for people using the Steam Controller, or other custom mapping systems, because keyboard inputs end up getting locked out. To elaborate, I simply can't use a keyboard to type, because in detecting my x-input mappings, it defaults to presenting a controller-style chat interface that simply refuses to take mouse or keyboard inputs.

Making the UI detection optional would go a long, long way towards making hybrid xinput/mouse input setups viable again, as they once were. Right now, players like me are really struggling with these new interface changes.

Also on the controls front, are there any plans to address the longstanding issues with simultaneous sprint/melee inputs? Trying to launch a melee attack while sprinting still reliably causes you to teleport around.

I posted this in the wrong thread earlier, so I'd like to put it here.

• 2 weeks later...

Great so you decide to fix a bunch of stuff in your "remaster" as you call it and all we get are a few bug fixes in relation to the controls? So at this point I'm deleting Warframe. I held out hope that maybe we'd get something towards making the controls somewhat comfortable instead of this S#&$ty mouse BS but DE doesn't seem to want to fix what they broke.

Edited by (PS4)Chris_Robet

While the cursor is somewhat usable now with heavy tweaking, it is still less than ideal.

Some suggestions?

-Give an option to use right stick as cursor and left as dpad. It is awkward to use dpad for menus with an Xbox controller and though scrolling with right stick feels nice, it would be entirely unnecessary if dpad movement scrolled like it should. Also, it feels more like aiming. Turn the menus into a high-speed shooting gallery and you'll have the best interface ever.

-Fix dpad scrolling. Seriously, as much as I hate the cursor I think this is more detrimental to the game's apparent level of polish. It just feels unfinished, when it was so streamlined before. This one has been pointed out many times already. Hope the Endless Gear wheel means this is fixed, same thing right?

-Add a slider for cursor acceleration. As necessary as the sensitivity slider, which should probably be doubled still, we need to be able to change how quickly the cursor goes to max speed. This could accommodate for most of the awkwardness with some tweaking, and maybe allow a deadzone. Pretty sure this has been mentioned too, just reaffirming.

Also. Please tell me this 'unified code' will help with the rampant server drops following each update?

Edited by (XB1)Kavriel

So, changes made to cursor are progressing, I'm getting used to it. Not a huge fan yet. 

I would like to see the option to swap the stick used for the cursor in the UI Customization screen. Using the left stick feels wierd to me, but swapping them for all things is worse. I just want to be able to manipulate the cursor with the same stick I use for POV. 

Thanks for reading.

Well, it's been a while and I'm going to be 100% honest, I still really hate the cursor, it's still far worse than what we had beforehand and my efficiency while navigating menus is noticably worse.

I know DE won't go back, weather from their own stubbornness or some reason that I've not been informed about, but I figured I'd add to the record my thoughts of the update a few months after the fact.

• Like 2

Please DE. I use a pad. Not a mouse and keyboard. The sooner you remember this the better. Everything is slower now. Yes, i can turn the speed up, but this just means I fly past every smaller selection option when I get to a reasonable speed. Leaving a squad is nigh on impossible with a high cursor speed...

I'm unsure why you decided to fix what wasn't broken. What should've been looked at instead is the chat box... That actually does need work.

• Like 2

On 2018-09-01 at 10:20 PM, mastermaniac said:

I humbly request the removal of the enforced delineation between Keyboard & Mouse and Controller inputs, or at the very least, making auto-detection optional. It's a nightmare for people using the Steam Controller, or other custom mapping systems, because keyboard inputs end up getting locked out. To elaborate, I simply can't use a keyboard to type, because in detecting my x-input mappings, it defaults to presenting a controller-style chat interface that simply refuses to take mouse or keyboard inputs.

Making the UI detection optional would go a long, long way towards making hybrid xinput/mouse input setups viable again, as they once were. Right now, players like me are really struggling with these new interface changes.

Also on the controls front, are there any plans to address the longstanding issues with simultaneous sprint/melee inputs? Trying to launch a melee attack while sprinting still reliably causes you to teleport around.

I posted this in the wrong thread earlier, so I'd like to put it here.

so i figured out how to get around the chat issue with xbox one controller and steam, i pull the trigger to open the chat window and hit enter on my keyboard to enter chat. if i hit X on my controller to enter chat i get that stupid steam keyboard or the warframe keyboard.

So in my orbiter is Left trigger on the controller and then enter, type enter.

In missions its {menu button}, Left trigger on the controller, enter on my keyboard, type type type, enter

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey DE, will you please consider making it so that if I'm in a menu  like browsing armor in the market for example  and I'm navigating up and down with my D-pad, that when I get to the bottom-most option visible on screen, and then I press down one more time, the screen will scroll so I can just navigate with the D-pad?  That's the way it used to be, and it's so weird and unpleasant to need both hands to navigate a 2D menu.

Even in other games that use similar paradigms  where you can use the right stick to scroll faster than moving through the menu one item at a time  this is always a convenience option that you only use when you want to move a lot; you never need to use anything but the D-pad.

And it's especially weird to require it in many of Warframe's menus because there are so few items on the screen at once.  For example, when I open up the market on my PS4, I think there's only room for somewhere between 2 and 4 rows of items at a time (depending on the screen).  So if I'm browsing and checking out all the options, I have to alternate between down-down-down with my left hand, then tiny scroll with my right hand, then down-down on my left-hand, repeat.  And it is just tedious and unpleasant and overly complicated.  And it's naturally made more complicated since the scrollbar is difficult to precisely control due to its analog nature.  Which again, would be fine if I was only using it to scroll through a ton of options when I know exactly where I want to scroll to, but having to deal with it regularly to scroll just a little at a time...that's not where it's strength lies.  That's a weakness.

I feel like if this beloved feature returned, I would probably be able to start playing again without my nerve pain acting up (yes, I finally diagnosed what that unpleasant feeling was!)  Or at least, that's my hope.  Because I'd love to start playing again, because Warframe used to be one of my primary sources of joy.  I miss it.

Please consider this change.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We will be closely monitoring your feedback/bug reports! These are some big changes, so we understand it will be quite jarring when you first get to moving around the UI. But with that said, we really do appreciate your constructive feedback so that we know where we can improve. If you are reporting a bug, provide screenshot/video where possible. 

Just another lie to prove we do don’t matter, it’s been a year and where is your close monitoring of these 83 pages filled to the brim with people sick of you ignoring us?

And then you wonder why we leave.