Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(XB1/PS4) Virtual Cursor Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

So far the UI update is not a comfortable change. It's more like you are forcing everyone to be on one UI that is meant for one platform over the other. Seems the general consensus is that it is meant for PC users more than console user. Difficult to adjust is not something I would use for this change. It feels more like forcing an issue and ignoring the user base. The cursor is very slow compared to using the d-pad or thumbstick even with changing the settings. 

• Like 1

This is a CONSOLE, NOT A PC!!!! The curser system frankly sucks. It’s messed up everything...if I have my chat up I have to have the curser on it or else i can’t scroll through chat with my r d-pad...just get rid of it. I can’t play the game like this. It’s so bad that I desperately searched in the options to turn it off and there was nothing -  Why??? Double “clicking” is annoying, dragging the mods are annoying, changing the arsenal around is a disaster and takes so much longer...like, what were you thinking? Did you even try this out before releasing? It’s not tailored to the PS4 AT ALL and I see ZERO benefit for it. I love this game and don’t want something this stupid to keep me from playing it. Change it back. Please.

Edit: So grateful for the new update to incorporate some of the old with the new. It is still annoying to have the planets zoom way out on the navigation when I’m trying to scroll through missions, plus the energy nerf on the Index (ugh) and other annoyances, but the game is at least playable now with the reincorporation of Arsenal short cuts, etc. I’m having trouble unequiping my mods with the triangle button for some weird reason, it doesn’t always let me which is a pain.

Edited by (PS4)MarissaGNWalker
  • Like 3

Here is some feedback from me regarding the new UI/navigation. I know there's a megathread, but this will probably get buried there. (If I do need to post there, please say so and I'll do that)

First of all; I don't hate the changes and there are some good things about it. Most of it is manageable if you use the D-pad.

I also know some new UI changes are coming, so some of this stuff might be fixed by then. But there's stuff right now that make the new navigation annoying and are not intuitive! So I decided to make a list and sorted it by broad category.

General UI navigation:

• In the menus with "tiles" using D-pad right, is really slow. D-pad left is a lot faster!
  • Same menu type D-pad up is also slightly faster than D-pad down.
  • In the same menus D-pad down when going through the "tiles" doesn't scroll the list anymore.
  • D-pad navigation does not work for the alerts/invasions/etc.
  • Empty tiles are also counted as "anchors". Seen in the extractor menu for example.
  • Extractors are now activated using X instead of A. No other place uses X to select to my knowledge.
  • Depending on where your cursor was last, in a new menu it will start in the same position instead of a logical position (at the top left "anchor"for example). This is annoying if you're going to use the d-pad to navigate.
  • If this "last position" was (for example) below the new menus lowest "anchor", pressing D-pad down does nothing. I'd be preferable to jump to the lowest "anchor" above it.
  • If chat is open, using the right stick to scroll moves the "focused/hovered menu" (could be chat, user list or menu in the background). Using the d-pad scrolls through the list of users in the chat. Not very intuitive, would be nicer if the background menu didn't react to the scrolling.
  • In the start menu, if you scroll to the top with the D-pad you can't go further up to the player "cards". The "show gamercard" and "show profile" options are really hard to select this way.
  • In the options menu 0-100 bars have become very hard to select a precise value.
  • D-pad navigation also still works while you're holding down A on a 0-100 bar and the value changes because of that D-pad navigation.

Arsenal:

• If you last hover over your Warframe, the skills on the right are now an "anchor" point for the D-pad movement. But hovering over them does absolutely nothing.
  • We're missing the quick options for equip, upgrade, appearance and abilities. I don't think it would detract from the navigation adding those options when you're "hovered" over an item in the arsenal.
  • In the second tab of the buy menu of an item (where you buy with credits) the D-pad is used to select UI items, but also to increase the quantity.
  • You can now select a weapon without actually equipping it. If you want to equip/buy it you have to select it twice.
  • When you're applying a mod (so when holding down the A button, which is a step back but somewhat acceptable) you can still select the tabs. Would be better if they skipped over them while "holding" a mod.

Visual, these are all very minor:

• The D-pad on Xbox also looks like a PS D-pad.
  • The matchmaking privacy options has the Y button not centered (has margin at the top, but sticks to the bottom and the right)

I hope this is of some help 🙂

Edited by (XB1)Ereaser NL
  • Like 1

I usually agree on changes, even if they are slow to get use to. But not this time, everything is so sloooooow, it hurts. Physically

Please let us choose,as it has been said many times, to go back to the old system, which was quick and intuitive.

(And how could you think that it was a good idea to not show what a relic can give when hovering on it, AND double click on it to select it)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, (PS4)EternityInBlack said:

I actually came to post some feedback about the new system and I think these can be usable eventually, with the right adjustments. I compiled a list below after playing around with the system this morning.

1. Allow for D-pad selection to autoscroll items. When the cursor gets to the edge of a long list, like browsing Mods or blueprints to replicate in the Tennolab, the page won't move to the next set of items. You're forced to use the Right Stick to scroll. Making this change will go a long way.

2. Remove/hasten the cursor animation when using the D-pad on Mods. The speed with how the cursor moves currently goes against the kind of snappiness we want in the game, and by just "warping" the cursor to the next item, or making the animation play super fast, will help with the "feel" when we're trying to select something.

3. If you still want to have drag and drop, also allow for the option to bring back the old way of assigning Mods. This has always been and forever will be an unintuitive process to do on a controller. Many games have tried it and failed, and many others who use cursors (Destiny) have avoided it. There are valid reasons why this has been avoided historically and it does not make the processes any better than it was.

4. When selecting an option, set the cursor to the first selectable option in that menu. This could be a toggled option, but when you open a menu, I'd like the cursor to snap to the very first option. Having to press the D-pad just so I can get the cursor onto my selections is really counter intuitive. 

5. Bring back face button hotkeys. Being able to just press a button to get to an option is really good. Let's bring those back.

TLDR; The current cursor system flies in the face of how fast, intuitive and responsive the old system was. If you'd like to implement the cursor system, that is fine. But this cursor system better have an alternative that allows console players to get back that fast, intuitive, and responsive UI you had before.

All of this.

This UI should help in development for all platforms, thats why we got it.

But its not even close to finished product. UI barely usable bcz of bugs n missing functional.

After few hours using it i can say some changes r good, some new functional is good too, but again.... so many things about this cursor is just annoying as hell.

Edited by (PS4)KresTias

2 hours ago, (PS4)Stonewall3000 said:
  • Removing button press shortcuts was a mistake.
  • Having to hold and drag mods into slots is especially bad.
  • Not being able to auto-scroll menus with d-pad inputs sucks.
  • Little things like having to move the cursor over "equip" in arsenal to change equipment just makes everything take twice as long to navigate.
  • The cursor HAS be off the menu in order to rotate your warframe with the r-stick

Everything is clunkier and slower to use now. Nothing feels intuitive. It's not a matter of getting used to it. This virtual cursor is objectively worse than the old interface.

Amen. There’s a reason this type of UI is non existent for consoles.

When I first read about plans for a cursor based UI, I couldn’t believe it. And now it’s forced as the only option? Wow...

• Like 2

I tried fishing with the new changes and cannot change my spear, bait or dye. I have custom control settings and cannot find which button to hold to change. I've held each of them down for 10s each and nothing happens. The UI says under the circles showing each item "Hold <Power_Menu> for action.' I don't have a power menu and can't assign one on my controller. Also, I cannot change the swipe pad assignments since the update. I guess I can't fish for the forseable future. 😞

Unwanted interface change has literally made me not want to play the game. I may be whining a bit, but if i wanted to play on pc, guess where I'd be... If you decide to give a "legacy" control option let me know, until then I'm going to play something else, just a shame about my three day booster...

• Like 1

IMO i feel we should have an option to toggle the cursor on and off for those who desire the legacy controls for ui navigation and those who would rather use the cursor. I dont think everyone should be forced to transition over. I feel it would be a lot easier to give people the option to use the cursor or not. It does feel a lot slower manually selecting everything and a lil out of the way to do simple things like rotatiing your frame or scrolling down the menu.

Just now, (PS4)Jenbob818 said:

I tried fishing with the new changes and cannot change my spear, bait or dye. I have custom control settings and cannot find which button to hold to change. I've held each of them down for 10s each and nothing happens. The UI says under the circles showing each item "Hold <Power_Menu> for action.' I don't have a power menu and can't assign one on my controller. Also, I cannot change the swipe pad assignments since the update. I guess I can't fish for the forseable future. 😞

I can also vouch for this. You cannot interact with touch pad controls in the customize controller menu as of this current update. Cant change anything for the touch pad at the moment!