Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(XB1/PS4) Virtual Cursor Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

[PS4]

Navigating is a hassle and almost makes the game unplayable.I can no longer jump on real quick and run a mission before going out because it takes 15 minutes for me to even equip anything in my arsenal. The cursor aspect is terrible for controller users and it honestly killed this game for me. 

I understand wanting to unify controls but there is a reason people purchase either a computer or a console for gaming.I really do not want to purchase a keyboard and mouse to play a game on a console... 

48 minutes ago, (XB1)Gioco King 1981 said:

Hey DE your game is free and awesome don't let certain people in the community change what you decide is best for the game. It's your creation and I'm happy to be a part of it. Keep doing your thing the new update is great I have no problems with it. Love the new cursor system do your thing DE

How does using a cursor improve navigating the interface in your opinion?

changes with frame abilities and enemy AI or weapons is something we can get use to down the road but the controls.... its like Rebecca complaining about her controls bindings/settings being change on her key board.

the new controls has slowed things down, not because of we gotta get use to it (which will take a long time), even if we do get used to it you gotta do More to get something done that was once a click away of the Dpad.

now you gotta drag the cursor to what you want to use then click the dpad to use it, and then drag the cursor again to go to something else to be able to use that. before it was just one click and your there, now i got this metal Ball on my ankle and drag it to use the bathroom and drag it again to go to the kitchen.

before when im in a mission, I pop chat board and just push the right thumb stick and scroll up to see what i missed. now i gotta put the cursor on it first before i can scroll up. when your changing colors of your frame or any item, you can just rotate the item with your right thumb stick and you can see how the color goes with your weapon or frame, now you gotta put your cursor on it before you can rotate it, want to change the color drag the cursor back to the color palette and drag it again to rotate the weapon back and fort. this was much easier back then, you have your left side of the control to change colors and your right side to rotate. its a lot slower now, this is a downgrade

17011798-prisoner-s-leg-and-ball-and-cha

if this was a business deal, when it was once 2 men making the deal communicating directly, now you put a middle man and made the deal longer.

Edited by (PS4)jedion
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Oxxykittenmeow said:

[PS4]

Navigating is a hassle and almost makes the game unplayable.I can no longer jump on real quick and run a mission before going out because it takes 15 minutes for me to even equip anything in my arsenal. The cursor aspect is terrible for controller users and it honestly killed this game for me. 

I understand wanting to unify controls but there is a reason people purchase either a computer or a console for gaming.I really do not want to purchase a keyboard and mouse to play a game on a console... 

They wanted unify controls to save some time on development and, i hope, bring updates for console users sooner

the new UI on ps4 is bad what was wrong with the old UI we was using. the new cursor in the new UI is base on pc but this is consle and it was a lot faster to use the old UI to navgate the menus can we have a options to choose which UI to use as the new i really do not like.

• Like 1

My feedback is: I'm not purchasing the Tennocon digital pack now and will not be playing until the changes have been unfixed. I just don't care to deal with the frustration of the new UI. And to be clear, it's not the frustration of having to learn a new UI system. It's the frustration that it's inefficient, slow and seems to be done by someone who doesn't use a controller.

1. The cursor in places that it already existed (like Navigation) is actually slower than it was prior to update.
  2.  Most of the changes are unintuitive, particularly having to double press X as a select-and-confirm action.
  3. Drag & drop on mods is just mind-blowingly inefficient. It takes anywhere from two to five times as long to actually swap out a single mod. (Also unintuitive.)
  4. Sometimes the cursor ignores d-pad input (which is the fastest possible way to do things in this new slower UI). I found it ignoring me repeatedly while navigating the marketplace.
  5. Pegging the speed of navigation to the animation of the slow cursor is also aggravating. It doesn't so much as snap-to as meander over.
  6. The lack of quick-select buttons like we had before... Why was any of this removed? They worked beautifully and much better than what we've just been given.
  7. When using the d-pad to navigate the options, it starts from wherever the cursor was prior to opening options. So instead of always starting with Navigation (if in your ship), it starts wherever it feels like. I, like most people, speed up repetitive actions using muscle memory. This means that I can't do that. And, I suspect, it won't be the only menu that has this issue.
  8. Fix chat. Make the d-pad actually work for chat windows.

Ultimately, the awfulness of the new UI boils down to not having an option to revert changes/use hotkeys (square, triangle, etc), the cursor itself being horrifically slow when using a controller and most of the changes being unintuitive. And I will never get on board with drag & drop for mods. There isn't a way to make that efficient without using a mouse and keyboard. And if the solution to a problem that was created by an update is 'put the controller down and use the mouse & keyboard), then I'll just pass. There's a reason I don't play many games on PC.

• Like 3

The new UI is designed to be like pc but on console its really irratating to use. The cursor makes the game much more slow and annoying to play. Its painfull to browse mods, warframes, weapons with this new UI.

Please bring back the old type without the cursor or atleast make the usage of the cursor optional

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [DE]Danielle said:

It's already mentioned in the spoilers in the OP, but! In case you guys missed it, you can absolutely change the speed of the cursor by going in the “Controls” Options and changing it to to your liking.

Where's the option to toggle cursor controls OFF? I mean Destiny got made fun if years ago for doing this on consoles.

The worst part is that the entire operating system for Xbox and PS4 uses shortcut buttons and directional navigation, so why are you even trying to be different when it is 100% counter-intuitive on consoles as once we access the system menu we have to use those controls anyway. Seriously, manage your party, check your achievements/trophies, listen to music, etc while playing Warframe, it feels so unnatural when literally every other app uses button shortcuts and directional controls to navigate.

Also, we need separate X and Y sensitivity settings, an option to make alt fire a toggle, separate mappable controls for archwing, more mappable commands for the touchpad such as conaumables (PS4 only), etc. Why you wasted your time breaking something that was fine when so many other controller settings need improvements makes is all the worse, especially when PC players already told you the cursor controls sucked with a controller.

• Like 1

• Removing button press shortcuts was a mistake.
  • Having to hold and drag mods into slots is especially bad.
  • Not being able to auto-scroll menus with d-pad inputs sucks.
  • Little things like having to move the cursor over "equip" in arsenal to change equipment just makes everything take twice as long to navigate.
  • The cursor HAS be off the menu in order to rotate your warframe with the r-stick

Everything is clunkier and slower to use now. Nothing feels intuitive. It's not a matter of getting used to it. This virtual cursor is objectively worse than the old interface.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, (PS4)Profane-lite said:

*snip*

Oh such drama.

They are preparing consoles for a major UI overhaul. The only way to work out the kinks is to release it & receive feedback.

I am no fan of the new UI. But I am giving feedback so it can be improved & streamlined.

Hopefully Danielle has seen it.

• Like 2

I was complaining about this when the change hit PC weeks ago. I cannot believe DE thought it would be a good idea to actually bring that change to those who have no other control option. I prefer using controller on PC, and hated HATED this change, I still hate it. I just "deal" with it now, with everything taking longer. 

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

Oh such drama.

They are preparing consoles for a major UI overhaul. The only way to work out the kinks is to release it & receive feedback.

I am no fan of the new UI. But I am giving feedback so it can be improved & streamlined.

Hopefully Danielle has seen it.

You don't force a change like this without giving players an option to disable it though. It's fine to iterate updates over time and while this may be just a single step in a longer process it literally makes the game worse for 99% of all console players. The problem is that we cannot judge how this update will work in the future, we can only judge it by how it works now and the current system is utter trash. This is made all the worse as a 'fix' will takes weeks or months to arrive, so in truth this update should have never been released or should be reverted until it can be fixed. That would be the responsible thing to do.

Edited by (PS4)Hiero_Glyph
  • Like 4

From a PS4 User: A very promising and awesome addition to the game, but as of yet, it slows most aspects of navigating through the menus; what I used to do a blink of an eye(foundry, mods management) I now forced to do within a much longer period of time. For now I as well support the idea of putting an on/off option for the Virtual Cursor,  but from the feedbacks I've read in this thread  so far, I'm sure you guys will improve this new feature to the point that it will be just as easy to navigate through the menus as before the update.

Keep up the awesome work. 

• Like 1