Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(XB1/PS4) Virtual Cursor Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

So I start up Warframe today to see if they've fixed the obvious issue of an embarrassing UI and I see changes reminiscent of how the UI looked before only with a cursor remaining. However despite this seeming reversion to it's original state of functionality the game itself seems to now suffer from the effects of this problematic and chaotic UI.

List of issues I have found following this post update 'fix':

- Inability to un-equip items, mods and weapons. - Any attempt to change load out features fails when attempting to select and then back out of customisation menus.

- Glitchy character animations (when attempting to change items/ warframes, the model glitches, flicked and the pink infested cyst on the neck of warframes appears and disappears.

- Inability to rotate character models. - Often when attempting to customise loadouts/ characters the ability to rotate the character model fails making it impossible to rotate the model in any way. This issue is most noticeable on the Operator customisation menu.

- When opening the alerts menu in the star chart navigation console, any movement from the right analog stick (scrolling function) closes the menu.

- (Although may not be a bug, but still an issue) Item selection closes menus. When equipping a item the submenu containing the selectable items closes.

- Jittery Cursor - Whilst transitioning between various menus, the cursor is often 'jumping' positions on the screen. By not remaining still the cursor (after selecting a menu item) can then appear in any number of places on the screen, away from it's original position. (Please note: When considering analog sticks may have been pressed when witnessing this, the same issue happens when they are left alone.)

- Inability for cursor to differentiate between main pause menu and matchmaking sub menu. - When having the pause menu open, pressing why to open the matchmaking submenu overlaps the squad tabs. When attempting to select a matchmaking option, the cursor does not differentiate selections between each menu. e.g. Whilst in a squad, should the host attempt to change their matchmaking setting the cursor not only selects the matchmaking option they click on, but also the 'Leave Squad' or 'Mute" option as well.

- Cursor tab selection difficulties. - When attempting to select items in the squad menu such as the 'Show Gamercard' or 'Show Profile' tabs, the cursor can prove difficult to place on the intended tab, with the spacing between each  'hit box' of the tabs being too small to allow the cursor to easily pick up exactly which tab the play is trying to select. Even when operating the cursor at it's smallest size with it's lowest sensitivity, the difficulty to select and differentiate between selections still proves chaotic. 

The game and the UI is now more broken than ever and no number of hot fixes can make this new system work well. Functional perhaps, but never well enough to be enjoyable. By having an interface that has been designed around a different kind of user interaction entirely, it will fundamentally prove counter-intuitive and unbeneficial to the users who operate on console with the use of controllers.

vor 16 Stunden schrieb (PS4)Whatawaytogo:

how many more things can/will DE screw up for console... was so disgusted with the cursor I only slogged through doin the sorties last 2 days and nothing else

figure I try to see if it could do anything usefull… .it cant..  just more and more screwed up things

got a 3hr affinity booster so I figure I would take just a melee that I got a riven for and get it set up.... and I CANT UNEQUIP MY OTHER WEAPONS

pick none in the arsenal for primary.... secondary...   sentinel  weapon... hell even sentinel itself.... click on the empty box labeled none...  and

yup NOTHING GETS UNEQUIPPED!!!!!!   wont even get into how bad the cursor is... how trying to adjust it is pointless (settings make it either to fast or too slow), the fact that it does not auto snap to the active menu, the fact other things like partical densitiy can not be changed whatsoever....   MD for the sortie today and people were complaining they could see anything everytime I stomped (which is all rhino is good for... lock down map so we can finish as fast as possible for MD/INT missions...)  the particles we bad enough even I agreed with them an dtold them to come here/fb/twitter and complain complain complain…  

so i'll ask this question again...  who is doing your "cert" inhouse...  and why bother to send  anything to MS/sony, because they obviously don't play test things...   one would think seeing consoles are forced to wait between updates, ya'll might actually playtest everything to make sure things work...  unable to adjust settings and have them stick, unable to run empty weapon slots like we have in the past...  i'm not even going to count this trash cursor BS in this last part... (that was DE trying to give us what they think we wanted... which after looking at these forums and ingame chat... we don't want it) but the other 2 things and god knows what else I haven't stumbled upon that is broken...…  just rollback the update, re-add the fashion frame junk and leave it at that...  stop trying to fix things that were not broken and work on things that still are...  armor scaling for one

I feel your pain. Good description of the situation! 

I also found last night that I could not choose to sell a number of an item (harrow chassis, of course) on PS4. Hitting X accomplished the same thing as Square, full stack selected.

I was sort of expecting to have the cursor while using the thumbstick and get normal menu selection with D-pad when I was hearing people talking about these UI changes.  They're... bad, really bad.  This cursor update should not have been released before the D-pad functionality was ready too.

I’ve been playing this game for years on console it’s one of the only games my friends and I keep coming back to, but I’m not sure if I can come back with the ui being the way it is now, it’s slow, cumbersome and unintuitive. It used to be easy to glide through menus and get what you needed done in seconds, but now it takes so much longer just to do the simplest things... I’m heartbroken... I love this game, but I can’t keep playing if every menu action is needlessly prolonged. It feels like im moving through molasses and the more I try to use this system and give you the benefit of the doubt, the more exhausted I feel. I really hope you know what your doing and that you can fix this because I can’t use this ui the way it is and I’m sorry. 

627 hours played

• Like 1

Trying to make sure DE sees the concerns I posted in another, longer thread:

In general, EVERYTHING in menus and selection screens takes longer and is made harder to achieve by this update.

I find it difficult to believe that anyone on DE staff who actually uses a Controller to play WF regularly would think that these changes are an improvement.

I admit, when I first heard about the proposed changes, they did sound good/useful. But in practice/actuality... not so much.

I am extremely disappointed.

• Like 1

Love Warframe, coming up on Day 700.

DE, I think you are COMPLETELY MISSING THE POINT: 
----->  The Virtual Cursor is a FLAT OUT BAD IDEA.

Consider:
1) The point of a Cursor is to allow 360 degree movement on the X & Y planes.
----->  That is great for the Star Map where everything is sort of randomly placed in 360 degree vectors from the "center."  On the Star Map there is NO LINEARITY.

2) MENUS on the other hand, in General DO NOT REQUIRE 360 degree movement - they are ALWAYS either simply horizontal or vertical scrolled.
----->  This is THE BIG FAIL of using a Cursor in Linear Menus.

3) When a MENU SCREEN pops up (e.g. when it is selected via Options or in Chat windows), the Top / 1st item is usually PRE-SELECTED, thus eliminating the need to "go find the item and move the cursor around to get to it"
----->  Thereafter you simply toggle to go Up / Down or Left / Right with RAPID BUTTON CLICKS instead of having to manipulate the quirky cursor to get to your desired item.
----->  The horrible cursor often ends up with its starting point ON A RANDOM PLACE ON THE SCREEN, and NOT in the Menus to start.

4) Having to manipulate the cursor to get to items on a Linear Menu TAKES MUCH LONGER. 
----->  This is NOT an improvement - it is BACKWARDS in terms of efficiency of movement, and speed of choice selection.
----->  Simply clicking Up / Down or Left / Right using a button or the joystick is MUCH MUCH MUCH FASTER AND EASIER !!!!

5) CONTROLLER BUTTON HOT KEYS permanently attached to Menu Items NEED TO BE LEFT THERE AS OPTIONAL WAYS TO SELECT, e.g. Square / Triangle / X / Circle
----->  These are THE FASTEST WAY to select ANYTHING, and there is NO annoying "hunt & drag" manipulation to try to align the cursor over the desired item AT ALL.

6) MOUSE CURSORS are for PC, NOT FOR CONSOLES !!!!  The WHOLE IDEA of a Mouse / Cursor is the Norm for PC Players ONLY.
-----> The VERY REASON we select a CONSOLE is for Expedited Controls!!!  A cursor is WHOLEY OUT OF PLACE on Linear Console Menus!!!

7) CHATS - the words are EXTREMELY TINY.  The NAMES are EXTREMELY TINY.  Having to manipulate a cursor to land in "just the right spot" before you click "Talk" or "Invite" etc is UNBELIEVABLY BACKWARDS, ANNOYING, and a WASTE OF TIME.
----->  The odds of clicking on the WRONG entry (e.g. not the one desired but rather one just above or just below) is ENORMOUSLY INCREASED.
----->  LEAVE the Controller "Shape Keys" (Square / Triangle / X / Circle) as ways to RAPIDLY select what you want!!! 
----->  LEAVE the Joystick as the simple Up / Down or Left / Right control of navigating to the desired item!!!  MUCH MUCH FASTER & MORE EFFICIENT!!!

8 ) SOLUTION:  Allow Players To Choose
----->  KEEP the OLD System, AND allow players who really love the new cursor system (of which I am not seeing ANY in the Region Chat etc - overall people HATE the Cursor System on CONSOLES)
----->  I am sure the PC players think the cursor great because they ALWAYS use a Mouse, etc.  It is PART OF THE PC way to Play ONLY.
----->  Make the DEFAULT the OLD / ORIGINAL System, and allow players to switch in the OPTIONS if they want to try the "New Experimental Cursor".... much like you did with Archwing Controls. 
----->  GIVE US THE CHOICE AT LEAST.

9)  As above: GIVE US A CHOICE if we want the new (awful) cursor system, or want to Navigate Our Menus using the Old / Original System
----->  Place a TOGGLE in the OPTIONS

Thank you.

• Like 2

It’s not just that I dislike the new changes as they make everything slower and clunkier to manage. It’s that this has also shipped with a number of bugs and systems that seem to be broken now as a result of trying to accomodate this sluggish method of navigation.

That and I’ve missed relic rewards because I didn’t maneuver my cursor properly. In any console game when you are presented with a list of any kind, you automatically go for the d-pad or click your analog left and right assuming it’ll jump between options automatically. The fact that Warframe no longer does makes it seem artificially and pointlessly difficult.

New cursor stuff and all the concessions that have had to be made around it are in no way intuitive. I realize I’ve been using the old UI for years now so I can’t properly say how easy to pick up it’d be for someone fresh, but when things like the buttons to rotate your frame change depending on what menu you’re in, that doesn’t make any logical sense.  

And the removal of the colored buttons is an incredibly uneccesary step backwards in my opinion. It’s more of an acessibility thing. I can read the buttons, but with the colors I never had to.

I think the best course forward is to revert and release it alongside the whole UI overhaul, so people can have a more informed opinion on it.

Edited by Silverviolet
  • Like 1

Just now, (PS4)tsyupapi said:

Hi,

After the latest hotfix, I can't click on Foundry tabs with the cursor. Another step back it seems.

For the sake of testing can you place the cursor on an item in the foundry and press up on the dpad to force the cursor onto the Foundry tabs? I'm curious if they broke the tabs or just the ability to select them with the cursor.

2 hours ago, (PS4)Syalin_ said:

Nice!

oh hay while were on the subject of fixing this BS, hows about you bring back the hotkeys, like square to customize, I think it was triangle to mod, thing like that.

I understand that you want ppl to be able to use a mouse. that's great, that's fine, but it need to be an option for ppl to do so, not a must.

Shortcuts have been implemented in a hotfix yesterday.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Hiero_Glyph said:

For the sake of testing can you place the cursor on an item in the foundry and press up on the dpad to force the cursor onto the Foundry tabs? I'm curious if they broke the tabs or just the ability to select them with the cursor.

Ok yeah I tested it just now. Cursor will not click Foundry tabs when forst going into Foundry menu

But I can click on the Foundry tabs after I use the dpad on the actual foundry items. Also, it works when I claim an item (pizza, cipher was claimed) but will not work after creating an item (pizza, cipher again). 

That's what I've tested so far thanks for the suggestion

• Like 1

The latest update seems to have fixed some issues but the d pad cursor just doesn’t function I believe everyone here agrees it’s just not for us. I miss the old controller it was perfect and worked fine for everyone. 

The hassels you’ve created is beyond headache leaving a squad 10x times the work doing basic selecting isn’t working with this. 

The middle ground should be an Off switch for the mouse like cursor allow people that have supported your game for all these years to simply have back what wasn’t broken or at least meet us half way give us an option to turn off the cursor and use the d pad as we used to. 

• Like 1

You dont have the new UI yet, you have the new controls. Thats all. The new UI ships with the Sacrifice

18 minutes ago, Silverviolet said:

It’s not just that I dislike the new changes as they make everything slower and clunkier to manage. It’s that this has also shipped with a number of bugs and systems that seem to be broken now as a result of trying to accomodate this sluggish method of navigation.

That and I’ve missed relic rewards because I didn’t maneuver my cursor properly. In any console game when you are presented with a list of any kind, you automatically go for the d-pad or click your analog left and right assuming it’ll jump between options automatically. The fact that Warframe no longer does makes it seem artificially and pointlessly difficult.

Read their recent post about planned changes to the controls, they go over both of the problems you mentioned.

Edited by NeithanDiniem

1 minute ago, NeithanDiniem said:

You dont have the new UI yet, you have the new controls. Thats all. The new UI ships with the Sacrifice

Read their recent post about planned changes to the controls, they go over both of the problems you mentioned.

Which does exactly nothing to help us with the abomination we're doing with right now. But thanks for your input.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)xarienne said:

Which does exactly nothing to help us with the abomination we're doing with right now. But thanks for your input.

Try referring to the recent post DE made about their upcoming changes to the virtual cursor then, and providing feedback there...

25 minutes ago, (PS4)BMWWOW said:

Love Warframe, coming up on Day 700.

DE, I think you are COMPLETELY MISSING THE POINT: 
----->  The Virtual Cursor is a FLAT OUT BAD IDEA.

Consider:
1) The point of a Cursor is to allow 360 degree movement on the X & Y planes.
----->  That is great for the Star Map where everything is sort of randomly placed in 360 degree vectors from the "center."  On the Star Map there is NO LINEARITY.

2) MENUS on the other hand, in General DO NOT REQUIRE 360 degree movement - they are ALWAYS either simply horizontal or vertical scrolled.
----->  This is THE BIG FAIL of using a Cursor in Linear Menus.

3) When a MENU SCREEN pops up (e.g. when it is selected via Options or in Chat windows), the Top / 1st item is usually PRE-SELECTED, thus eliminating the need to "go find the item and move the cursor around to get to it"
----->  Thereafter you simply toggle to go Up / Down or Left / Right with RAPID BUTTON CLICKS instead of having to manipulate the quirky cursor to get to your desired item.
----->  The horrible cursor often ends up with its starting point ON A RANDOM PLACE ON THE SCREEN, and NOT in the Menus to start.

4) Having to manipulate the cursor to get to items on a Linear Menu TAKES MUCH LONGER. 
----->  This is NOT an improvement - it is BACKWARDS in terms of efficiency of movement, and speed of choice selection.
----->  Simply clicking Up / Down or Left / Right using a button or the joystick is MUCH MUCH MUCH FASTER AND EASIER !!!!

5) CONTROLLER BUTTON HOT KEYS permanently attached to Menu Items NEED TO BE LEFT THERE AS OPTIONAL WAYS TO SELECT, e.g. Square / Triangle / X / Circle
----->  These are THE FASTEST WAY to select ANYTHING, and there is NO annoying "hunt & drag" manipulation to try to align the cursor over the desired item AT ALL.

6) MOUSE CURSORS are for PC, NOT FOR CONSOLES !!!!  The WHOLE IDEA of a Mouse / Cursor is the Norm for PC Players ONLY.
-----> The VERY REASON we select a CONSOLE is for Expedited Controls!!!  A cursor is WHOLEY OUT OF PLACE on Linear Console Menus!!!

7) CHATS - the words are EXTREMELY TINY.  The NAMES are EXTREMELY TINY.  Having to manipulate a cursor to land in "just the right spot" before you click "Talk" or "Invite" etc is UNBELIEVABLY BACKWARDS, ANNOYING, and a WASTE OF TIME.
----->  The odds of clicking on the WRONG entry (e.g. not the one desired but rather one just above or just below) is ENORMOUSLY INCREASED.
----->  LEAVE the Controller "Shape Keys" (Square / Triangle / X / Circle) as ways to RAPIDLY select what you want!!! 
----->  LEAVE the Joystick as the simple Up / Down or Left / Right control of navigating to the desired item!!!  MUCH MUCH FASTER & MORE EFFICIENT!!!

8 ) SOLUTION:  Allow Players To Choose
----->  KEEP the OLD System, AND allow players who really love the new cursor system (of which I am not seeing ANY in the Region Chat etc - overall people HATE the Cursor System on CONSOLES)
----->  I am sure the PC players think the cursor great because they ALWAYS use a Mouse, etc.  It is PART OF THE PC way to Play ONLY.
----->  Make the DEFAULT the OLD / ORIGINAL System, and allow players to switch in the OPTIONS if they want to try the "New Experimental Cursor".... much like you did with Archwing Controls. 
----->  GIVE US THE CHOICE AT LEAST.

9)  As above: GIVE US A CHOICE if we want the new (awful) cursor system, or want to Navigate Our Menus using the Old / Original System
----->  Place a TOGGLE in the OPTIONS

Thank you.

I didnt want to be on here complaining about this every second but this sums it up very well 
this hit the nail on the head so hard the board cracked 
what im saying is DE realize the players concern and pain please my afinity booster is being wasted cause i dont wanna play with this visual cursor messing things up and killing my attitude and prospective of the game its a great game with one problem that can be a simple fix with just a easy menu option to turn off the visual cursor 

• Like 3

I wouldn't worry about people quitting over the UI. In my experience, there will be a small very vocal minority that will make a production out of "quitting," and the rest of the people complaining will just keep grumbling to themselves and eventually get over it.

Yeah, there's some fixes needed, but most likely, DE is tinkering right now behind the scenes to try some new things out, so bugs are to be expected. 

Speaking of which, isn't there a bug-report thread somewhere...?

32 minutes ago, (PS4)tsyupapi said:

Ok yeah I tested it just now. Cursor will not click Foundry tabs when forst going into Foundry menu

But I can click on the Foundry tabs after I use the dpad on the actual foundry items. Also, it works when I claim an item (pizza, cipher was claimed) but will not work after creating an item (pizza, cipher again). 

That's what I've tested so far thanks for the suggestion

Awesome, thank you. This matches what others have been saying about cursor inconsistencies where it won't work at first but then acts normally after doing something else. Needless to say the cursor UI needs a lot if work for it to even be passable as a UI for a game that has been out for 5 years.

Edited by (PS4)Hiero_Glyph

I wouldn't know since I've only been playing a year. I think they've done great work so far. This was a small change but it's involved in a lot of different parts of the menu so there's a lot of room for compatibility issues. I just think it wasn't really necessary... If people want to play with mouse and keyboard they can just play on pc... controllers are easier and more comfortable anyways... But that's just my two cents.

• Like 1