Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(XB1/PS4) Virtual Cursor Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

Hey Tenno, checking in before the weekend to give you an update on what we've been up to with the virtual cursor. The following is a list of priority items we've been working on improving/fixing and will continue work on as most do require a lot of testing and fine tuning:

• Improving the navigating speed in certain menus when using the D-Pad. 
  • Fixing the D-Pad skipping over items in menu lists.
  • Fixing the D-Pad not working in the World State Window. 
  • Fixing the D-Pad landing on invisible menu items (this affects menus across the game, so will require quite a bit of time to test).
  • Fixing being unable to use RB/R1 and LB/R2 quick buttons in any menu if you close the pause menu in Navigation while the matchmaking drop-down bar is open.
  • Fixing being unable to select player list options in chat when using the D-Pad.

We can't say enough how much we appreciate your feedback and bug reporting. As always you guys are a tremendous part of Warframe's growth! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, [DE]Danielle said:

Hey Tenno, checking in before the weekend to give you an update on what we've been up to with the virtual cursor. The following is a list of priority items we've been working on improving/fixing and will continue work on as most do require a lot of testing and fine tuning:

• Fixing the D-Pad landing on invisible menu items (this affects menus across the game, so will require quite a bit of time to test).
  • Fixing being unable to use RB/R1 and LB/R2 quick buttons in any menu if you close the pause menu in Navigation while the matchmaking drop-down bar is open.
  • Fixing being unable to select player list options in chat when using the D-Pad.

We can't say enough how much we appreciate your feedback and bug reporting. As always you guys are a tremendous part of Warframe's growth! 

Danielle... You guys are like no other developer ever. Actually listening to the player base and working to fix issues. You guys rock! Ty so much for caring. The changes have really made this so much better.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, [DE]Danielle said:

For the record we are not beta testers and the version of the UI that DE released on the live servers was an embarrassment to your team. At this point we are only trying to survive so don't think of this as something we want to do but as the only way you will fix what was one of the worst content launches in Warframe's history. Yes, it really was that bad.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Hiero_Glyph said:

For the record we are not beta testers and the version of the UI that DE released on the live servers was an embarrassment to your team. At this point we are only trying to survive so don't think of this as something we want to do but as the only way you will fix what was one of the worst content launches in Warframe's history. Yes, it really was that bad.

Do u have anything constructive to add? Because this doesn't help them make it better.

10 minutes ago, (PS4)Hiero_Glyph said:

I added multiple posts that were constructive. Let's not pretend that excuses DE for releasing the UI in the state they did.

This thread is for constructive criticism. Besides, this is a f2p game. If u had to buy it... Perhaps this lvl of disrespect would be warranted(doubt it). However, paying is optional... So how bout showing a little respect.

Edited by (PS4)big_eviljak
  • Like 1

I'd just like to add another vote for having the option to revert to the old UI system, as it's currently terrible in it's current state. This is the only constructive point I can make, as I solely use a controller, so the cursor system is so much slower/cumbersome compared to the previous system.

Going to Options > Up on D-Pad no longer takes you to your Player panel to quickly select your profile or leave a squad.

In the navigation panel you can no longer simply D-Pad down quickly to the relevant mission nor does the cursor snap to it.

Unfortunately at this point, I have no interest in launching the game in it's current state. It was a great game to quickly drop into, run through my foundry and loadouts, quickly breeze through some alerts, but now for me it is just a frustrating mess to do anything in the menu systems, of which there are many.

I truly respect DE for all the effort and massive support they've put into Warframe over the years and with other changes/additions in these recent patches, but I just can't support this UI change. 😞

27 minutes ago, (PS4)big_eviljak said:

This thread is for constructive criticism. Besides, this is a f2p game. If u had to buy it... Perhaps this lvl of disrespect would be warranted(doubt it). However, paying is optional... So how bout showing a little respect.

F2P doesn't mean that some if us have not spent a substantial amount if money on this game. As customers we have a right to voice our discontent, especially when we were not given a choice in the matter.

Furthermore, we are customers not testers. I completely understand that no software will ever be bug free but the state of the cursor UI was awful at launch. In some cases UI features were simply removed. In other cases a streamlined UI became cumbersome. And while I understand that it takes time to refine a product, you should never ask your customer to suffer through an update so you can test it further. It was not ready to be released on consoles and if you had even read a portion of PC's cursor UI megathread you would realize that DE knew this but launched it anyway. That's just bad business.

So yes, I have provided constructive information in this thread but I do not like to be patronized and thanked for something that I was not given a choice to avoid in the first place. If I go to a grocery store and there is no bagger it is my choice to do it myself or wait for another employee to do it for me. I would not accept having the cashier look and me and tell me to bag my own groceries. This is exactly what DE did with this update and it's not ok as a business to ever place your customer in such an awkward and unprofessional position.

Edited by (PS4)Hiero_Glyph

1 hour ago, (PS4)big_eviljak said:

Danielle... You guys are like no other developer ever. Actually listening to the player base and working to fix issues. You guys rock! Ty so much for caring. The changes have really made this so much better.

As someone said "This thread is for constructive criticism" dude. Ironic right? 

FYI, Endless Space by amplitude studios had a similar environment with the devs taking a lot of feedback from and engaging with players. My experience with them is one of the reasons I took to Warframe, because I do value devs that work hard to get things right. In both cases I put money into the game. 

The changes haven't made it better just yet. They're actually trying to get us back to where we were a week ago, and while we appreciate the effort that they've put in, and it's going a long way to building back customer confidence, blatantly ignoring the fact that they set the dumpster on fire isn't going to help them either. 

From the feedback on this thread it's pretty obvious that they were told by players that the system they were about to roll out was a bad move. If they listened at that point, we might have avoided this issue. 

Reminding them (unnecessarily in my opinion) that the provider-customer relationship is always a tenuous one is still a valid thing for him to do, because again while we do appreciate it we obviously didn't like what they did and how and would prefer to avoid a repeat. He may have been a bit harsh, just as you may have been overly flattering, but he wasn't rude in my opinion. 

Let's keep it so that we spoke about the all voice our opinions, yeah? 

24 minutes ago, (PS4)Khorne1977 said:

I'd just like to add another vote for having the option to revert to the old UI system, as it's currently terrible in it's current state. This is the only constructive point I can make, as I solely use a controller, so the cursor system is so much slower/cumbersome compared to the previous system.

Going to Options > Up on D-Pad no longer takes you to your Player panel to quickly select your profile or leave a squad.

In the navigation panel you can no longer simply D-Pad down quickly to the relevant mission nor does the cursor snap to it.

Unfortunately at this point, I have no interest in launching the game in it's current state. It was a great game to quickly drop into, run through my foundry and loadouts, quickly breeze through some alerts, but now for me it is just a frustrating mess to do anything in the menu systems, of which there are many.

I truly respect DE for all the effort and massive support they've put into Warframe over the years and with other changes/additions in these recent patches, but I just can't support this UI change. 😞

I can't help you with the UI and I won't pretend that it should be a viable option, but I have been using the mobile app for foundry and relic related tasks for the last few days. Maybe it is a way for you to work around the UI change as well. 

(It's actually a perfect example of how a "spreadsheet simulator" can be a good tool interface, based on the way it is controlled.)

Right now I have a list (on paper, the horror) of prime parts I'm working on getting and the relics they are in so when I do open the game I don't have to try using the system as it exists for those tasks. 

Fortunately the way I play doesn't really demand that I micromanage my frames and loadouts to do fissures, but it means that I have been neglecting mastering new weapons since the UI change. 

I'm hoping things will continue to improve, and DE's posts (which I do appreciate) suggest that they will, and I'm inclined to believe them. 

Good luck, Tenno. 

There is a point of diminishing returns. Some people have basically come here to argue how damaged the game is. And that's fine once or twice. But frankly the thousandth person making the game generic complaint doesn't help them. They know the magnitude. They know the general sentiment. But, frankly, there's too much "don't want, revert" here to be helpful.

What we are destined to get is a hybrid system that has the cursor, but also has decent d-pad functionality. It won't be just like the old system and it won't be exactly like what they first dropped. At this point joining in just makes it a mob and that's not the context where good work gets done. And arguing for the mob is just arguing for your own entitlement to express anger at a situation that is already being resolved.

Not sure if anyone else is having this problem but, the cursor doesnt open links in chat half the time. If I do it the old way (L3 and select link) it works. Also doesnt always work when clicking someones name directly in chat.

Besides that issue the cursor isn't that bad. However it is much slower. I agree with others on the relic select, wish there was a double click to pick the next relic.

I'm not sure what's the point of DE giving us this mess of a interference change. It was much faster to tap on the D pad 3 times in less then one second but now it takes 4 seconds to get from one side of the screen to the other ? Can we at least get the option to use the old way?

• Like 4

Please just add an option to disable it for now... Kinda like the vomit-inducing new archwing controls that made people sick, we should have options when it comes to new features that hurt our comfort and enjoyment of the game.

You will still get your data and feedback with it being optional, it just won't be something everyone will have to suffer through on a daily basis for weeks. The fact that it's the only major new feature of this update doesn't help either... Feels like you broke something just for the sake of getting feedback on how to unbreak it instead of releasing something that was properly tested and found adequate by a panel of testers, focus groups and internal devs.

@[DE]Danielle I have a suggestion...only use the cursor in the chats and if u must have the cursor in the foundry and arsenal then at least make a combination of the old UI and new UI like the needed cursor for chat but never and pleaseeeeeee never let that cursor show up on a mission please its a bit too time consuming on missions and we dont have the comfort of the PC users...also its very clunky and you also need to let that cursor not only reach navigation in the main menu but also let it reach for the leave squad...thank you for reading this if you did.

3 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

As someone said "This thread is for constructive criticism" dude. Ironic right? 

FYI, Endless Space by amplitude studios had a similar environment with the devs taking a lot of feedback from and engaging with players. My experience with them is one of the reasons I took to Warframe, because I do value devs that work hard to get things right. In both cases I put money into the game. 

The changes haven't made it better just yet. They're actually trying to get us back to where we were a week ago, and while we appreciate the effort that they've put in, and it's going a long way to building back customer confidence, blatantly ignoring the fact that they set the dumpster on fire isn't going to help them either. 

From the feedback on this thread it's pretty obvious that they were told by players that the system they were about to roll out was a bad move. If they listened at that point, we might have avoided this issue. 

Reminding them (unnecessarily in my opinion) that the provider-customer relationship is always a tenuous one is still a valid thing for him to do, because again while we do appreciate it we obviously didn't like what they did and how and would prefer to avoid a repeat. He may have been a bit harsh, just as you may have been overly flattering, but he wasn't rude in my opinion. 

Let's keep it so that we spoke about the all voice our opinions, yeah? 

Your right, my bad. This thread should only contain constructive criticism not positive or negative opinions with no bearing. 

I would like the V. Cursor to automatically center on the gear wheel when its opened in a mission.

1 minute ago, (PS4)big_eviljak said:

Your right, my bad. This thread should only contain constructive criticism not positive or negative opinions with no bearing. 

I would like the V. Cursor to automatically center on the gear wheel when its opened in a mission.

If they can do that, hopefully they can also center it on each of the new menus that opens each time we click on an option. 

And the plains map, shouldn't have 2 different reticles when opened by holding up. It's confusing to see the cursor reticle and the map interaction reticle. 

• Dpad functionality should be returned to its previous state on all menus.  Keep the cursor if you wish but return all Dpad functionality.  Even have it as an 'Option'.
  • At the Void relics segment in your ship, Relics still do not show their contents upon Hover.  You have to click X. 
  • Nav screen, right stick Zooming, if you touch it you then must hit 'O' twice to zoom out to its default position and then again to exit.  Pointless. 
  • No Snap Too on Arsenal screen, i have to move the cursor. 
  • Nav Screen, If i L1 R1 to a menu i should be able to Dpad on that menu but i must move the cursor into it and then it snaps , or sometimes it does.
  • Have you ever played Time Crisis or House of the Dead with a controller, this is what WF is like to navigate now. 
  • I cannot emphasize my first statement enough. The whole experience is slower and frustrating, it was none of that before.  It is not that it is new and we will get used to it, Programmer here and this is not an improvement, you could not sell this to anyone in a professional environment. 
  • Game looks great 🙂

Edited by (PS4)bbyrneirl