(XB1/PS4) Virtual Cursor Feedback Megathread

Please revert to the old version. The cursor and UI worked perfectly fine.

At least give us the option to switch back to the old version. For now it's too slow and cluncky. Maybe for PC players it's good, but here we are console players who play with a controller. 

I can't understand why they needed to change... :/

I really don't know if they (DE) will hear us and our complains, but i do know that it's the kind of thing that can possibly make me stop playing their game.

Edited by (PS4)LeTueurDeChrono
  • Like 1

I actually came to post some feedback about the new system and I think these can be usable eventually, with the right adjustments. I compiled a list below after playing around with the system this morning.

1. Allow for D-pad selection to autoscroll items. When the cursor gets to the edge of a long list, like browsing Mods or blueprints to replicate in the Tennolab, the page won't move to the next set of items. You're forced to use the Right Stick to scroll. Making this change will go a long way.

2. Remove/hasten the cursor animation when using the D-pad on Mods. The speed with how the cursor moves currently goes against the kind of snappiness we want in the game, and by just "warping" the cursor to the next item, or making the animation play super fast, will help with the "feel" when we're trying to select something.

3. If you still want to have drag and drop, also allow for the option to bring back the old way of assigning Mods. This has always been and forever will be an unintuitive process to do on a controller. Many games have tried it and failed, and many others who use cursors (Destiny) have avoided it. There are valid reasons why this has been avoided historically and it does not make the processes any better than it was.

4. When selecting an option, set the cursor to the first selectable option in that menu. This could be a toggled option, but when you open a menu, I'd like the cursor to snap to the very first option. Having to press the D-pad just so I can get the cursor onto my selections is really counter intuitive. 

5. Bring back face button hotkeys. Being able to just press a button to get to an option is really good. Let's bring those back.

TLDR; The current cursor system flies in the face of how fast, intuitive and responsive the old system was. If you'd like to implement the cursor system, that is fine. But this cursor system better have an alternative that allows console players to get back that fast, intuitive, and responsive UI you had before.

Edited by (PS4)EternityInBlack

Hi, I want to adress a few concerns about the cursor. I don’t personally like this new update, everything takes longer and itsharder ti scroll and do my shortcuts faster. I was hoping that the cursor can be removed, many others dont like this update either. I wanted to adress this as a problem because I find everything harder to do right now. Or at least put an option on the game for the cursor to be removed. For those who wanna keep t can keep it, but for those who dont, can have the option to remove it. Thank you.

• Like 2

I'm perfectly fine with a new system on menus and navigation except for one thing. Deadzone setup needs to be an in game option. Controllers that drift or have bad detection are a hundred times more difficult and sluggish to use in this new cursor system (as well as overall gameplay, I'm tired of having my WF always walk to the left and I'm sure many would be happy with a deadzone setup option). 

Just to really echo a lot of the feedback above..............really not a fan of this new UI update atall.

Seems really awkward and slow to use. Quick changes to mods/apperance now seem to be more of a hassle than a pleasure. 

Im sure DE will note this amount of negative feedback and a simple option to turn this cursor off would be the perfect answer but as to how easy this is to do, im not sure. 

Overall the update is great and thanks as always for all your hardwork DE, but this cursor......maaaaaaaan its frustrating!

So far I like the changes (so far).
I must admit I really like the fluency when it comes to the scrolling, in general it feels a lot less clunky than the old UI was.
Also like how the cursor feels but can be a little bit frustrating (maybe it's just because it's a new system).

However, despite all the above, there are somethings that could be improved:

1. Perhaps add in an option for people to have the cursor or not.

2. I'll admit that I do really miss the hotkeys, such as hit Y to go straight to the upgrade tabs, maybe a sort of a hybrid could be created. I think after a while I'll get used to it, but if lots of other players want a hybrid UI system (some of the old, some of the new) then it might be something to consider.

3. The default speed for the cursor is a little bit slow (and yes I realize it can be changed in the options)

4. I've seen some other people complaining about it but the D-Pad is really quite slow in the foundry

Edited by (XB1)UnitingTiger518

So as now mouse & keyboard are compatible to the console version of the game, will we have an option for keyboard binding? Because for now we're forced to use the native bindings of the PC version, that's a huge step forward especially if you consider the possibility of cross-platform, which I hope you'll do ^^ but it's kinda painfull to not be able to customize our keybinds, so please DE make it happen quick :)

Keep up the great work, I love you all :D

13 minutes ago, (XB1)Cotton Tail said:

I'm starting to like the new UI - a couple of oddities (double tapping to select an arcane, or a relic) but other benefits such as hover over a link in trade chat and press A to go straight to its description for example. Definitely growing on me.

They could do that easily by giving chat a full screen option that actually scrolled. So you open the chat window, make it full screen and then you have a cursor on left analog. Additionally this would avoid the problem where the chat won't scroll unless the cursor is over the chat window.

Let's be honest, DE didn't gives consoles a cursor to make it easier for console players to use.

Edited by (PS4)Hiero_Glyph

Region chat ingame has been filled with those of us on ps4 that don't like the cursor and I am one of those aswell. I don't like it at all, you had a good UI already, why mess that up? 
 I don't understand...

Everything takes ten minutes longer now and when I am about to pick up changes or customize the loadout I have to manually click the cursor instead of using square and cross etc. chat region window is a bit too dark with that bright text. 
I really hope that we can have a custom UI with old settings so that we as players can choose what we like?
Also when trying to leave squad I have to use the cursor and with either a tiny cursor or big cursor you accidentally keep hitting show profile. 

Was this UI proper tested before release?

2 minutes ago, (PS4)kurasauchiha said:

I agree there should be an option to use the old system

Yea, its really getting on my last nerve. Especially those people calling us all whiny, I wasnt whining all I did was just ask how to remove it because its kinda already making it hard for me to play this.

Good thing first:

1) Being able to select linked items in chat is now much easier.

Now for the bad things:

1) It is a lot slower to do basically anything now, even with increased cursor sensitivity (WHICH I HIGHLY RECOMMEND DOING, DEFAULT IS TERRIBLE. Set it to like 175). It now feels like I'm playing a badly designed direct port from PC or as if I'm using Xbox's old Microsoft Edge app.

2) The D pad quick selection is terrible. For example, when I'm scrolling through my warframes/weapons in the foundry I should be able to do that with the D-Pad, but I can't. So what use is the D-pad if I already need to put my cursor in the window to scroll anyways?

Suggestion:

1) Put the hot keys back in. When I hover over my warframe in the foundry I still expect to be able to press (Y) to go to upgrades for example.

2) Let us press Left Stick in to turn on the cursor for when we DO need it. This would be MUCH better as we get to decide when we need the cursor more on the fly. It would feel a lot more seamless than just having the option to turn it off or on in the options too.

Edited by (XB1)AeroTurner5150

An option to disable cursor and revert back to pre-update setup would be much appreciated abd as a happy midum for people who like the cursor, don't like the cursor, and thos who are on the fence about when/where it would be useful. Maybe a option to disable/enable it it in the menu's of the players choosing that way we can all be happy, but definitely have a pre-update post-update option for disabling it.

2 minutes ago, (XB1)AeroTurner5150 said:

Good thing first:

1) Being able to select linked items in chat is now much easier.

Now for the bad things:

1) It is a lot slower to do basically anything now, even with increased cursor sensitivity (WHICH I HIGHLY RECOMMEND DOING, DEFAULT IS TERRIBLE. Set it to like 175). It now feels like I'm play a badly designed direct port from PC or as if I'm using Xbox's old Microsoft Edge app.

2) The D pad quick selection is terrible. For example, when I'm scrolling through my warframes/weapons in the foundry I should be able to do that with the D-Pad, but I can't. So what use is the D-pad if I already need to put my cursor in the window to scroll anyways?

Suggestion:

1) Put the hot keys back in. When I hover over my warframe in the foundry I still expect to be able to press (Y) to go to upgrades for example.

2) Let us press Left Stick in to turn on the cursor for when we DO need it. This would be MUCH better as we get to decide when we need the cursor more on the fly. It would feel a lot more seamless than just having the option to turn it off or on in the options too.

love your idea for the Left Stick

bad update.

why would you do this with the UI.

have you seen the chats in the game. ppl hate the courser.

and why would u make it so you have to click and drag mods.

why cant I use the buttons as hot keys anymore.

why do I have to double click anything to equip things.

how is this better then how it was.

everything is so much less efficient.

plz give option to switch back to old UI so the UI format better fits controlers. also give option to switch to how it is now for ppl who want to use mouse.

plz allow left stick to move warframe in the arsenal so I can change things and spin him at the same time so I can see the changes I have made without having to hover the courser above the frame. this is just annoying and inconvenient.

Edited by (PS4)Syalin_
changed some thing to make it a little more polite.
  • Like 3

I'm a big fan of options so I wouldn't mind the ability to switch back and forth and just get used to it without having too much change disrupting day to day runs and housekeeping. At the moment I've sped up the cursor movement and increased its size, I found this helped slightly for my own experience, yet It's one of those things where..it's like we need change...change comes...HOLY SNOOZLEBUMS...I need my security back in what I got used to...I so won't lie, I am not a big fan of the change, but this is not my first rodeo with De, and I know in few months I'll be like what are you talking about..I always loved this cursor...

1 minute ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

I'm a big fan of options so I wouldn't mind the ability to switch back and forth and just get used to it without having too much change disrupting day to day runs and housekeeping. At the moment I've sped up the cursor movement and increased its size, I found this helped slightly for my own experience, yet It's one of those things where..it's like we need change...change comes...HOLY SNOOZLEBUMS...I need my security back in what I got used to...I so won't lie, I am not a big fan of the change, but this is not my first rodeo with De, and I know in few months I'll be like what are you talking about..I always loved this cursor...

That’s good for you and all, but I don’t like it. Its harder to find people wanting to buy stuff in the trade chat for me and scrolling up is harder. And on top of all that this is PS4 Not a PC, I came here to use a dpad not a mouse.

Edited by (PS4)Mtandre21
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, (PS4)Deadwood_Lane said:

Region chat ingame has been filled with those of us on ps4 that don't like the cursor and I am one of those aswell. I don't like it at all, you had a good UI already, why mess that up? 
 I don't understand...

Everything takes ten minutes longer now and when I am about to pick up changes or customize the loadout I have to manually click the cursor instead of using square and cross etc. chat region window is a bit too dark with that bright text. 
I really hope that we can have a custom UI with old settings so that we as players can choose what we like?
Also when trying to leave squad I have to use the cursor and with either a tiny cursor or big cursor you accidentally keep hitting show profile. 

Was this UI proper tested before release?

Obviously not as no console player would consider this an intuitive system.

I guarantee that whoever thought this would be useful uses a keyboard and mouse for 99% of their work as computers feel intuitive so playing only Warframe on a console with a cursor would also feel similar enough.

The problem is that the rest of the console UI (every app, game, system menu, etc) all use button shortcuts and directional navigation so if you use your PS4/Xbox 99% of the time then Warframe is the only thing that doesn't feel natural now.

• Like 2