Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(XB1/PS4) Virtual Cursor Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

My wishlist for virtual cursor changes on Xbox One:

• Add directional pad support for moving to the squad member tiles and menu at the top of the pause menu (currently, the directional pad does not lock on when moved towards them and remains in its original position).  This is meant to make it easier to Leave Squad when other squad members are eagerly starting the timer on another mission.
  • Add directional pad support to the Conclave loadout selection buttons in the Conclave console and the mid-match respawn screen (currently, the directional pad does not lock on when moved towards them and remains in its original position).  Timing is critical when respawning to return to the fight.
  • Pick different shortcut buttons when accepting or declining an in-game squad invitation, or assign a single shortcut to set focus to that area (prior to the virtual cursor, the shortcut was pressing Left Stick to jump to the Accept and Decline buttons, which didn't have direct shortcuts).  Currently, these buttons on Xbox One are assigned to X and B, which conflicts with the mission voting Accept / Start Timer buttons and dismissing the pause menu itself, respectively.  I would like to be able to close the pause menu without making a decision yet on the invitation.  (I tried sidestepping this by pressing the Menu button (instead of the B button) to dismiss the pause menu without declining the invitation, but the Menu button instead declined the invitation despite not being labelled as a shortcut for that option.)
  • Now that the UI is unified, can we get item description tooltips to appear in the Inventory screen?  I hear the PC version has these, and I would have loved to have that extra information about items in my inventory when I started playing.
  • Like 1

im about to blow some minds, ok so there was a seceret feature, now you can hover over pps names in the chat and click on them, so whats the big deal you ask, if someone posts in trade chat you now don't have to look them up in the player list, just hover over there name and click talk

On 2018-06-07 at 11:04 PM, (PS4)zedlanik said:

In lot of ways they will lose lot of players that U.I won't work well with lot of players simply add option .plus they are making S#&$ lots of money hire more people to work harder on updates 

The current segnent of the New UI feels like Destiny 1's UI.

So lets not exaggerate. The current phase 1 roll out is not ideal but it functions quite well.

As some youtube vids & forum posts have suggested. Adjust the cursor speed & size.

It functions quite well once you do.

Edited by (PS4)Zero_029

16 minutes ago, (PS4)willsp282012 said:

im about to blow some minds, ok so there was a seceret feature, now you can hover over pps names in the chat and click on them, so whats the big deal you ask, if someone posts in trade chat you now don't have to look them up in the player list, just hover over there name and click talk

This, and seeing linked items is admittedly one of the very few positives of the cursor, buuut the cursor is unresponsive 50% of the time when you click on names/items so it's actually more frustrating to deal with. With the D-pad completely messed too, recruiting and replying has been a chore.

33 minutes ago, (PS4)RhoLambda said:

This, and seeing linked items is admittedly one of the very few positives of the cursor, buuut the cursor is unresponsive 50% of the time when you click on names/items so it's actually more frustrating to deal with. 

Add to that modding (trying to choose one of the CONFIG A, B or C) or choose something from OPTION MENU. Nowadays is a nightmare because you have to hit a imaginary hit box that you cannot see or is inactive even if highlite. D-Pad don't helps too.

Throwing in my 2 cents:

1. Having trouble finding the cursor when backing out of menus

2. Leaving squad after mission kind of takes too long

3. I came to this thread by looking up "Warframe can't equip arcane", I don't know if this has anything to do with the new UI changes, but I cannot equip an arcane on my warframe.

Otherwise, I'm loving the changes.

On 2018-06-08 at 2:11 PM, (PS4)big_eviljak said:

Do u have anything constructive to add? Because this doesn't help them make it better.

Not everything can be sunshine and roses all the time, sweetheart. There's no reason to fuss at him for having negative criticism to add. Negative criticism shows DE where its weak spots are and gives them the opportunity to learn from this.

18 hours ago, TwoWolves said:

You don't want to be bothered to rest a keyboard across your lap because you're a console gamer (as if that means anything--pretty sure just because you're a console gamer doesn't mean the rest of us have to game the way you do)?

Yet here you sit on your high horse trying to tell us controller players that *WE* have to play like *YOU* because "you're used to it and have no trouble adapting". How about you go purchase all of us whiny controller players a mouse, keyboard, adapter, and lap table to be able to play like you? One of the major things that you are overlooking is that most of us don't have the extra peripherals OR the money to go purchase these things just to play one title.  How entitled and arrogant of YOU to demand that we adapt just be cause you did!

My current roadblock that keeps me from playing the game is the inability to rotate my Warframe while using the color picker or previewing skins/accessories.  I just got a new Warframe and was excited to decorate it, but if I want to preview colors, I can now only see them from one angle, and I can't see how the different textures glint in the light by rotating my Warframe.  I also used to use this menu to preview what skins and accessories would look like on a Warframe with my current color scheme before I bought them, but again, now I can only see it from a single angle at a time, as opposed to 360 degrees and being able to rotate and see the cloth physics of syndanas, etc.

I'm frustrated because I now can't do something that has become an integral part of my decorating process, something that I've taken for granted for so long.  I probably spend a third of my game time decorating my frames, because the customization aspect brings me so much joy.  But now I don't even want to deal with the headache.  I hope you can bring this (and the other features people are missing) back.

10 hours ago, (PS4)hardworkgenius said:

Bug : looking a saved preset load outs no longer shows the frames and equipment when hovering over choice. 

I was also going to report this... Thanks, it seemed like it was going unnoticed. Anyways, all long stories aside... Other games that come out in a series or sequels etc. may make minor changes to the game UI each release. But, that's do to expansions and new abilities that would require it. Note that I said minor, that's because they know if they make major UI changes they might upset their fan base. As long as Warframe has been going with the same UI that their fan base has become used to, it was destined to have a bad reaction. This game is much different than any other games mentioned as you might as well compare apples to oranges. They would have been better off recruiting beta testers rather than making all users beta testers regardless of what any fine print may say. 

http://www.strawpoll.me/15863658

Edited by (XB1)psyops6
added poll link

32 minutes ago, (PS4)Firebrandd said:

Yet here you sit on your high horse trying to tell us controller players that *WE* have to play like *YOU* because "you're used to it and have no trouble adapting". How about you go purchase all of us whiny controller players a mouse, keyboard, adapter, and lap table to be able to play like you? One of the major things that you are overlooking is that most of us don't have the extra peripherals OR the money to go purchase these things just to play one title.  How entitled and arrogant of YOU to demand that we adapt just be cause you did!

...wth? What on earth are you talking about? I simply suggested that the changes be embraced. There's nothing you can do to stop DE from doing what it wants to do, right? Right. So why fight something that ultimately will never change? DE isn't going to go back to just a controller interface. There's nothing wrong with using a keyboard to speed things up, or even to play the full game, if that's what you like to do. I myself still use a controller for the PS4, and use the keyboard to chat, so I found a happy medium that works for me. The only reason I haven't noticed the problems as much is undoubtedly due to my play style. I'm sure there are others out there who have done the same; it's just the vocal minority that (rightly) are pointing out the problems and bugs (thank you for doing so!) are very...vocal. That's not a problem, it's just what is happening that is our current focus right now.

And as far as the excuse goes that you can't afford to adapt, guess what? Not buying it, no pun intended. The whole purpose of me bringing up the fact that the keyboard and mice sets are cheap is to cut off people from saying, "Oh, it's too expensive to get one!" They're not expensive. They're $8 at the dollar store for a wireless set. If you don't want to use one, don't use one. Just don't blow smoke up our collective rear and try telling the world that it's "too expensive," when what you really mean is, "I'm a die-hard console and controller fan, and I don't want to change out my controller." If you want to stick to the controller, do so! I do! Yes, I stick to the controller and use the keyboard minimally! 

I don't think it's entitled or arrogant to tell people, "Hey, this worked for me, and it turned out pretty good. Maybe you would like it, too, if you tried it." That's simply suggesting that there's other ways out there that might be better if tried. Could I have couched it better? Probably. That was already pointed out and there's no reason to beat a dead horse. Will it work for everyone in every situation? Of course not. No one is saying that. But if you think the keyboard will help, use it! If not, don't! No one is demanding anyone adapt. I am simply telling everyone I can that hey, this K&M idea isn't so bad if you give it a chance, and it will only get better as DE continues to refine it in the coming weeks, so just hold on. Good things are on the way.

And really, stop with the, "I'm not getting one peripheral to play one game!" It's not one game. A K&M covers not only Warframe, but a multitude of other games and applications. PS Home, for instance--are you really going to want to hang around for ten minutes typing using the controller when talking to other people? Or would you rather bang it out quick on a keyboard, then move on? So really, Warframe is just the tip of the iceberg. No more frustration spending ten minutes trying to hammer in a title into the search bar of Netflix with the controller! No more losing out on trades in trade chat because a stray HF signal interrupts your controller and erases your chat post before you can hit send. The keyboard and mouse do have their uses; DE's rollout was just botched. Not a big deal because they're already at work on the solutions; we just have to hold on.

This is all I'm saying: the keyboard and mouse may be better suited and have broader application in the long run due to how useful it is for not only Warframe but other games and apps, too.

Jesus, never have I ever seen people try to stretch what is being said so much, just to defend the indefensible, and that's really what it is. It's not the end of the world; DE will fix things, and undoubtedly make them even better because it's in their financial interest to do so. Everyone is freaking out because the bastion of the controller is under siege by the keyboard and mouse, and those of us in the middle trying to bridge the two sides become lightning rods. It's totally unnecessary; I come to the forums because I can have actual conversations rather than go in the chat to talk about Warframe where it's a bunch of adolescents trying out new combinations of cuss words and doing their level best to turn the chat into 4chan, not to defend myself against unnecessary attacks that are lobbed to try to distract from the very salient points I have made. 

And damn it, @(XB1)psyops6, quit being right all the time. Let someone else have a turn. lol They probably should have done some beta-testing, if the UI was going to be that buggy. Probably should have figured that trying to hammer a k&m-based UI into the PS4 UI would have brought its own set of problems; as it is right now, the cat is out of the bag, so it's too late. Now, they have to deal with it in the public eye, rather than behind closed doors like they could have if they'd beta-tested it first like you say.

26 minutes ago, TwoWolves said:

Don't think we have signatures in these forums, but I threw it on my profile. Maybe all my detractors will go there and vote. lol

Thanks, I tried to add it as sig and also discovered that we don't have them here... Bummer.

Damned if I know where I'd put a keyboard and mouse while playing a console game. On one arm of my chair there's a strong chance I'd knock it into my dog's bed, on the other I'd knock my drink over. Are hovering keyboards still just £5 because that's about the only way it would work for me. 

Seems to me that improving the UI to suit controllers would be a wiser option than expecting all console gamers to start messing around with keyboards. 

7 minutes ago, (PS4)NachoZissou said:

Damned if I know where I'd put a keyboard and mouse while playing a console game. On one arm of my chair there's a strong chance I'd knock it into my dog's bed, on the other I'd knock my drink over. Are hovering keyboards still just £5 because that's about the only way it would work for me. 

Seems to me that improving the UI to suit controllers would be a wiser option than expecting all console gamers to start messing around with keyboards. 

Yah, that's why they're doing that. Also please please please tell me that hovering keyboards are a thing and where I can get one for £5. 

12 hours ago, (PS4)supernova_girlie said:

Throwing in my 2 cents:

1. Having trouble finding the cursor when backing out of menus

2. Leaving squad after mission kind of takes too long

3. I came to this thread by looking up "Warframe can't equip arcane", I don't know if this has anything to do with the new UI changes, but I cannot equip an arcane on my warframe.

Otherwise, I'm loving the changes.

In regards to #1, the cursor position is absolute and is always in the last location it was when last used. For consoles this is a huge annoyance as we don't innately think about a cursor or its location since menus always default to the first/top option.

This is yet another fault of the cursor system on consoles as PC players relate cursor to hand position when using a mouse whereas console players use their right analog to aim and center their screen but the cursor is controlled with the left analog which is associated with movement, not aiming a cursor. Then consider that the console system UI uses a non-cursor system for everything and it's simply counterintuitive to use a cursor that doesn't default to the first/top menu option.

The cursor UI still needs a ton of quality fixes and it seems like DE doesn't understand enough about how console gamers are trained to think about interfaces to know what we want/need.

The hotfixes to the cursor curse update have been a big help so far! But I found something else that is really bothering me that ought to be addressed:

On the mods screen, when using D-Pad navigation to switch between the top (equipped mods/loadouts) and the bottom (mod library/categories) the game will not recognize the context change for the L1/R1 hotkeys that normally change loadouts on the top and change categories on the bottom. It will only recognize context change if the cursor control is tapped to wobble to cursor a little bit and that is somewhat infuriating for someone that used to cycle between those things very often in the old UI.

Thank you.

Also, a little less noticeable but still worth of addressing I think: when you first pull up your menus, the game is extremely sluggish to respond to D-pad input for up and down to realize it ought to warp your cursor over to the menus for D-pad orientation. Probably because of how it is set up currently to respond to direction of menu relative to cursor position, seeing as how it responds almost immediately to a "left" input to snag the cursor over to the main menu. Seeing as how the main menu is arranged vertically, I find it very unintuitive to have to press left first before I can start scrolling up and down every time.

Again, thank you.

While the hotfixes did alleviate some issues by reintroducing shortcut buttons the things that didn't have shortcuts are still more tedious to do than before... why can the d-pad movement not be the SAME as before, keep the stupid cursor if you must but let us use the d-pad in the same way as before.

There are times when the cursor just doesn't work at all, such as loading into a level, where you can no longer manipulate the chat window. Before you could scrolls chats, close tabs, etc. while loading in but no longer, all you can do is change chat tabs, no scrolling, no closing tabs.

The "hold select" map in Plains of Eidolon has dual cursors which can be confusing when you're trying to place waypoints. :clap:

Leaving a squad after a mission is now an irritating excercise in accuracy as you race to your profile card and invariably overshoot the "Leave Squad" option and have to readjust, probably missing it again before finally hitting that narrow box and actually leaving squad. Before, you simply hit "start", up, and select.

There are times when you can open a menu and you get visual context changes with d-pad inputs (such as squad mode menu [where you select public, invite only, friends only, or solo], or chat name menus [where you can choose to close chat tabs, send messages, etc]) but the visual context of the d-pad IS NOT ACTUALLY SELECTABLE!

These are the ones that I can remember off the top of my head but I know there are more quirks and it's quite silly that this is even an issue. PC players were telling you how bad this idea was and instead of actually reigning it in and getting it polished you decided to push this trash out anyway.

DE is trying to unify the UI between console and PC, so that when the new UI comes out, or they make another update for it, it is easier to ship it to both platforms.  Easier to bugfix, and easier to work on, if you only have to make one control scheme work, rather than bugfixing console and PC UI separately.

It isn't going away.

7 minutes ago, beckettb said:

DE is trying to unify the UI between console and PC, so that when the new UI comes out, or they make another update for it, it is easier to ship it to both platforms.  Easier to bugfix, and easier to work on, if you only have to make one control scheme work, rather than bugfixing console and PC UI separately.

It isn't going away.

So basically I’m stuck with this big ugly diamond on my screen forever. That’s great DE thanks for that