Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(XB1/PS4) Virtual Cursor Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

23 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Had a different issue with a similar effect a while after the first hotfix. The cursor seemed to be affected by a strong drift to the right on reward selection. 

I can't remember how I managed to get to the reward I wanted (rare nekros part I think), May have been dpad, may have been bumpers I was probably desperately mashing anything I could, honestly. When I did manage to do it I pretty much froze and didn't touch anything until the timer ran down, before starting to breathe again. 

Happened to me too, I cant pick a reward or sometimes even I dont get a reward even though I have 10 traces

42 minutes ago, (PS4)MATTEOS_PHOTO said:

Happened to me too, I cant pick a reward or sometimes even I dont get a reward even though I have 10 traces

That’s actually an older glitch. I’ve noticed when you get 10 reactant, Lotus won’t talk to you and the game ignores the fact you received them. Luckily this hasn’t happened in a while. Thought they fixed it.

I love this game, I have been playing on Xbox for around 4 years, but this cursor, it needs to go or bare minimum be optional.

The UI we had before was perfectly fine and all I want is to revert back to it, this isn't about not liking change, this is about the new UI being inefficient and poorly implemented (I mean it looks good but other than that...)

No amount of anything will ever make cursors on console good, now please DE, let us revert back to the old UI.

I know that the likelihood of this being seen or even acknowledged is incredibly low, but I am on the verge if taking a very long break from this game and I don't know what else to do other than continue providing feedback in this forum.

Edited by (XB1)Matthew117

6 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Which are you?

I'm the one that is tired of weeding through the replies where people are speculating and assuming why DE does or doesn't do things. Kind of sounds like what I posted earlier huh? Also, the one that doesn't like forum threads getting derailed. So, who cares what type of person I am and you are and stay on topic.

Warframe UI Approval Poll:

http://www.strawpoll.me/15863658/r

Edited by (XB1)psyops6

2 hours ago, (XB1)jayfig83 said:

Is it just me or has any one else experience problems recruiting people from chat? I'll highlight their gamertag with the cursor and half the time the gamertag won't turn yellow for the submenu. Never had this problem before the update.

I've had the problem from the other end of invites, ie of telling noobs (with simple requests for help) to invite me, but the chat ends up being on top of the invite. Trying to close the chat to get to the invite, closes both. I posted about it before because anything that stops us from helping out a new player is bad, bad utz. 

3 hours ago, (XB1)Fevi117 said:

Just another 'please revert the changes made to the UI' comment passing through. In all seriousness, please do change the UI ASAP!

3 hours ago, (XB1)Unrivaled20 said:

i hate the virtual cursor

2 hours ago, (XB1)Matthew117 said:

I love this game, I have been playing on Xbox for around 4 years, but this cursor, it needs to go or bare minimum be optional.

The UI we had before was perfectly fine and all I want is to revert back to it, this isn't about not liking change, this is about the new UI being inefficient and poorly implemented (I mean it looks good but other than that...)

No amount of anything will ever make cursors on console good, now please DE, let us revert back to the old UI.

I know that the likelihood of this being seen or even acknowledged is incredibly low, but I am on the verge if taking a very long break from this game and I don't know what else to do other than continue providing feedback in this forum.

Ok guys it's pretty simple so huddle round: Yes we hate it. Yes we wish we could toggle it. No we can't toggle it. No it's not likely that we will be able to get that soon. The reason is that the functionality we want is literally no longer in the code. They had to take it out because the code was a mess and they needed to rewrite it. 

What we need to do is tell them specifically what is still broken and what they can do to help fix it. Please help them to fix it. Because the faster we can get back to a fully working game with the cursor, the faster we can get to the point where they can possibly remove the blasted thing. Wouldn't that be nice? 

55 minutes ago, (XB1)psyops6 said:

I'm the one that is tired of weeding through the replies where people are speculating and assuming why DE does or doesn't do things. Kind of sounds like what I posted earlier huh? Also, the one that doesn't like forum threads getting derailed. So, who cares what type of person I am and you are and stay on topic.

Ahhhh you mean the type that ignores whatever they don't agree with. Pity. 

If you ever do bother to check what they said, and grasp the meaning, maybe you can get to the point where you can help us to get stuff fixed in the game. I think that would be a great sort of person for us all to be. BTW, might wanna check what the initial post requests from us, because like it or not, that's the topic we need to stay on. Neat, huh? 

20 minutes ago, (PS4)Firebrandd said:

If they took it out, then they can bloody well figure out how to put it back in. It is B U L L S H I T that we have to relearn some functions, not be able to use others, and have no choice about whether or not we want the f u c k I n g cursor.

I agree with you, people should stop making excuses for them. They wrote the initial code and can put it back but don't want to. They hope that people here will stay distracted with all of the speculations that they can't fix what they broke. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)Firebrandd said:

If they took it out, then they can bloody well figure out how to put it back in. It is B U L L S H I T that we have to relearn some functions, not be able to use others, and have no choice about whether or not we want the f u c k I n g cursor.

55 minutes ago, (XB1)psyops6 said:

I agree with you, people should stop making excuses for them. They wrote the initial code and can put it back but don't want to. They hope that people here will stay distracted with all of the speculations that they can't fix what they broke. 

Let's see. Game's been around for, what, 5 years? The code you want them to rewrite literally took years to kludge together? You two Einsteins want to wait 5 years for your solution? Feel free, but I figure that's pretty dumb of you and in the meantime, you may want to try actually contributing something that is useful for a change. I mean on the subject of not understanding how code works, one of you two couldn't even figure out how the url for your poll could be tweaked to go directly to the results until it was pointed out for you. 😂 You are literally in no position to even begin to figure out how the code for something as complex as a game could be fixed. 

I'd like to not have to wait that long, so instead of shoving my fingers in my ears and stamping my little foot when I don't immediately get what I want, I'll keep highlighting the bugs as I run into them, and making suggestions for improvement where I can. 

Doesn't guarantee that any of us will be getting what we are asking for, but it does mean that there's a better chance of having a game UI that we can use without throwing my hands up in disgust, in the not too distant future. 

Care to contribute? 

21 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Let's see. Game's been around for, what, 5 years? The code you want them to rewrite literally took years to kludge together? You two Einsteins want to wait 5 years for your solution? Feel free, but I figure that's pretty dumb of you and in the meantime, you may want to try actually contributing something that is useful for a change. I mean on the subject of not understanding how code works, one of you two couldn't even figure out how the url for your poll could be tweaked to go directly to the results until it was pointed out for you. 😂 You are literally in no position to even begin to figure out how the code for something as complex as a game could be fixed. 

I'd like to not have to wait that long, so instead of shoving my fingers in my ears and stamping my little foot when I don't immediately get what I want, I'll keep highlighting the bugs as I run into them, and making suggestions for improvement where I can. 

Doesn't guarantee that any of us will be getting what we are asking for, but it does mean that there's a better chance of having a game UI that we can use without throwing my hands up in disgust, in the not too distant future. 

Care to contribute? 

If a game has been updated regularly over 5+ years you never just delete code; that would be catastrophic. This means the old UI is still there, it just isn't being used. If DE messed up their build they could definitely revert the changes, they just don't want to do it as it goes against their goal of unifying the PC/console UI.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Hiero_Glyph said:

If a game has been updated regularly over 5+ years you never just delete code; that would be catastrophic. This means the old UI is still there, it just isn't being used. If DE messed up their build they could definitely revert the changes, they just don't want to do it as it goes against their goal of unifying the PC/console UI.

Spaghetti code, is the term we've seen tossed about. Stuff that's been literally kludged together in the hope of getting it to work. Having to jam more and more spaghetti code into the mix for each update. 

Seems like a really good reason to roll out fresh code based around a unified system. Seems like a really good reason to not include the original code in the new rollout. How big was the game before the update and how big was the update? Did they have to kludge in some spaghetti code to give us back some basic functionality? I suspect so. But I can still understand why they'd want to flush it for a better alternative. Was what we got better? Not from my point of view, but maybe it is from theirs. 

Got any reason to think that rolling back the update wouldn't just rebreak everything that was wrong with the code? Or lose a bunch of other progress that they are phasing in? Just in case anyone doesn't remember what was in the update or subsequent updates: Here's a helpful link to the wiki. It's 22.20 and above.

Looks like a lot of stuff would be lost to me. Makes for a good reason for not wanting to, to me. What do you think? 

The cursor bugs out in chat, from not being able to interact with names in main panel or side panel. when selecting a tab it jumps to another name.

Chat of all places has to be on point, there are to much clutch moments from getting into a group, to sealing a deal in trade chat. It is infuriating especially when what you had was working better. Although the UI overhaul I see as a step backwards, what you could do in chat was an improvement, from quickly selecting links to faster interaction with players, so the thing I actually like about the UI doesnt work lol.

Edited by (PS4)kfrancis902

19 hours ago, (PS4)jaegerbombtastic said:

That’s actually an older glitch. I’ve noticed when you get 10 reactant, Lotus won’t talk to you and the game ignores the fact you received them. Luckily this hasn’t happened in a while. Thought they fixed it.

Yeah I had the same problem back around Easter I think and was super ticked off. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)kfrancis902 said:

The cursor bugs out in chat, from not being able to interact with names in main panel or side panel. when selecting a tab it jumps to another name.

Chat of all places has to be on point, there are to much clutch moments from getting into a group, to sealing a deal in trade chat. It is infuriating especially when what you had was working better. Although the UI overhaul I see as a step backwards, what you could do in chat was an improvement, from quickly selecting links to faster interaction with players, so the thing I actually like about the UI doesnt work lol.

When the cursor won't let you interact with chat try closing the background and reopening it. It seemed to fix it for me the other night.

Bro i have done that as well to varying success. It doesnt work most of the time I even try coming out of my operator going in foundry and arsenal, sending messages in various chat tabs. it seems to stop working when it wants and starts back working when it wants lol. Like I said before it will be the best part of the current UI if it actually works.

15 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

one of you two couldn't even figure out how the url for your poll could be tweaked to go directly to the results until it was pointed out for you. 😂 

I've already told you I don't want to post results to a poll that is tallying, nimrod. I post the poll link so the intelligent people here can cast a vote. I don't suppose you've figured out how a poll works?

16 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

You two Einsteins want to wait 5 years for your solution?

Thanks for the compliment, I would rather they completely resolve all issues instead of them throwing sloppy code at the game little by little.

14 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Spaghetti code, is the term we've seen tossed about.

You just keep enjoying that spaghetti, I want results. Now stop being a troll.

Anyone else with sense, please vote on this poll: 

Not you guz man...

*Get rid of drag and drop mods!

*The "NEW" UI updates ARE not controller friendly!

@DE by far the worst company I've ever seen in my life regarding controller support!!!

12 minutes ago, (PS4)IRaQiFiRE said:

*Get rid of drag and drop mods!

*The "NEW" UI updates ARE not controller friendly!

@DE by far the worst company I've ever seen in my life regarding controller support!!!

DE is an amazing company but they definitely don't understand how to properly utilize the strengths of a controller. To be fair, most games are not anywhere near as complex as Warframe but this also means that they should be dedicating more support to optimizing the controller. There are basic features that players have been asking for for years that DE still hasn't acknowledged (separate X/Y aim sensitivities for example).

One last call for DE to clarify whether they plan to support scrolling with the d-pad before I deem this thread dead and pointless. This really is a point of contention for me, if I'll be able to scroll using the d-pad I'll be able to tolerate a lot of other sub-optimal controller interactions. I'll make this really easy, multiple choice time!

D-pad scrolling?

A) Still investigating

B) Plan to implement

C) No plans to support

14 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

You might want to educate yourself on version control software, try out git, it's open source, free, and pretty popular. The console builds are undoubtedly created off "branches" initially cloned from the last pc release, while the "trunk" code that is targeted for the next pc release moves along getting the latest bleeding edge changes. Selected changes from the trunk (important fixes, etc.) can be pulled into the console branch, and after the console version is released, it's probably merged back into the trunk.

The point being, change history for every file is available, so it would certainly be possible to revert just the UI code changes while preserving the changes to Saryn, Tennogen, etc. to produce a new console build. It might even be that the old UI code is still available for conditional compilation, just like other "platform" specific code.

It's all academic though, DE doesn't want to do this as it would just be a stop-gap measure while they move forward with their UI 2.0 plans, and I can't fault them for that. What I do fault them for is pulling the trigger on this stuff WAY too early. There was nothing in our last build that needed the virtual cursor enabled, we could have kept the old code until the new UI code was deemed complete and actually ready for proper feedback and bug reports on obscure (not obvious!) bugs.

Now we're pretty much hosed until DE has a chance finish the UI re-implementation. If the current state of the UI frustrates you as much as it does me, it's best to take a break and give DE a chance to prove they can create an acceptable controller UI with a virtual cursor; I think they can but they need to stop being so obstinate (adding labels back to the inventory screen but making it an option that doesn't default to on doesn't bode if you ask me).

I also wouldn't put too much stock into the mention of "spaghetti code", software developers like to grumble, especially about code they didn't write personally. What we know about that spaghetti code is that is was pounded and debugged into existence over the years to get to a very functional state, that "fresh" replacement code will bring along a whole slew of new bugs for the foreseeable future, it's not some panacea, and what we have currently wasn't nearly ready for public consumption.

The virtual cursor wasn't the only way to clean up the spaghetti code either, new "clean" platform independent code to better support controller input *could* be written too!

1 hour ago, (PS4)IRaQiFiRE said:

I think you forgot to add this to your post at the end:

2z73hxg_th.jpg

I mean, seriously, how many companies have you ever had to complain to about their controllers? I'm willing to bet not many.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Hiero_Glyph said:

DE is an amazing company but they definitely don't understand how to properly utilize the strengths of a controller. To be fair, most games are not anywhere near as complex as Warframe but this also means that they should be dedicating more support to optimizing the controller. There are basic features that players have been asking for for years that DE still hasn't acknowledged (separate X/Y aim sensitivities for example).

Don't worry, DE is more than capable of defending itself. Besides, I'm still waiting to hear their response on why their Captcha is glitching, but I'm pretty sure this is what it will be:

30tjt4y.jpg

Probably about the same for what it will be about when we ask about when the UI fixes are coming. lol

😛

Edited by TwoWolves

24 minutes ago, (PS4)jaegerbombtastic said:

If you guys watch the latest PS4 @ 4’s stream, @[DE]Danielle states that they’re aware of a lot of these issues, but can’t fix them via a hotfix. We’ll probably get fixes in our next update.

And that is exactly the problem as DE broke the controller UI right before a major update and Tennocon so it will take longer to get QoL fixes patched.