Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(XB1/PS4) Virtual Cursor Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

4 hours ago, (PS4)jaegerbombtastic said:

Ok, so, I’m not sure if this will quell any harsh feelings stemming from the DE leaving us in the dark, but about the 17 minute mark DE Danielle talks about the issues.

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/275162602

She says they’re aware of the problem, but these kind of issues call for delving into deeper code and cannot be fixed in a minor hotfix. She said around the next updates they should be fixed. So hopefully that means Sacrifice.

Fingers crossed that it fixes more than it breaks.

Yeah they're working on it. But what says that even louder is:
Beasts of the Sanctuary 22.20: U22.20 • H22.20.1 • H22.20.2 • H22.20.3 • H22.20.4 • H22.20.5 • H22.20.6 • H22.20.7 • H22.20.8 • H22.20.8.1 • H22.20.9 • H22.20.9.1 • H22.20.9.2

I don't think people have really grasped the number of fixes that have been rolled out since the update. There are people who think that just because nobody sits down, holds their hand and talks them through the scary times, that nothing is being done and that we're being ignored. 

What I see is people hard at work, and not able to spare the time to coddle folks who are demanding to be coddled. Heck, just the other day we had someone who supposedly stopped playing in early June, complain about something that was fixed for quite a while. 😂

6 hours ago, (PS4)Firebrandd said:

Sure. Make your circles. On a massive picture where thousands of other circles are being added hourly. Don't point out which circle is yours. Just put your circle up there with no notification or coordinates and expect yours to be seen and addressed. 

Oh you see, I'm okay with that. I don't need or demand instant gratification. It's like a super power or something these days, except anyone can develop it. Wanna give it a go? 

25 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Yeah they're working on it. But what says that even louder is:
Beasts of the Sanctuary 22.20: U22.20 • H22.20.1 • H22.20.2 • H22.20.3 • H22.20.4 • H22.20.5 • H22.20.6 • H22.20.7 • H22.20.8 • H22.20.8.1 • H22.20.9 • H22.20.9.1 • H22.20.9.2

I don't think people have really grasped the number of fixes that have been rolled out since the update. There are people who think that just because nobody sits down, holds their hand and talks them through the scary times, that nothing is being done and that we're being ignored. 

What I see is people hard at work, and not able to spare the time to coddle folks who are demanding to be coddled. Heck, just the other day we had someone who supposedly stopped playing in early June, complain about something that was fixed for quite a while. 😂

Oh you see, I'm okay with that. I don't need or demand instant gratification. It's like a super power or something these days, except anyone can develop it. Wanna give it a go? 

Though there’s still a lot of issues that are entirely frustrating. No doubt they’ve worked on it (cursor is a lot better than what it was), but there’s no harm in posting what I did here. 

Who knows, maybe it’ll calm down the people who have been screaming that nothing’s been done.

7 hours ago, (PS4)silvia95guy said:

So, DE I've given the new UI a solid month and a half, and it's still horrible. This biggest issue are the consistsnt bugs that plague new UI, to a point that a restart is in order, because all control inputs become either completely unresponsive, or the cursor starts skipping around not wanting to select anything. Not to mention in the arsenal when you can't change your setups, due to IDK, the new UI just not wanting to cooperate and do anything? Second would be the currsor... get rid of it, or seriously give us an option to revert back to the old more streamline, efficiant, and buggless Ui we had before. I have 560hrs into this amazing game, then y'all go and "Improve" something that didn't need to be improved upon. It has seriously hindered my enjoyment for this came, and cause such frustration at times that I just choose to close the game and walk away. Seriously, it's happened twice today where the UI just does what it wants to, and makes the game unplayable, no exaggeration if you can't navigate menus or do anything you can't play. I mean, yeah I know I have put a lot of time into Warframe, and if this is a deturant to not play as much, and put that energy and focus somewhere more productive in my life... It's working. 

Haha, the cursor UI was released on consoles on June 5th. It may feel like "a solid month and a half" but you might be overly dramatic about it too.

Edited by (PS4)Hiero_Glyph

4 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Uh... I'm a bit confused, your name prefix suggests you play on console. It didn't come to consoles in May. PC got it back then though..... But it's still not a month and a half (6 weeks by most reckoning) yet. 

😀  OMGEEEEEE are you a time traveller? Will you please share the winning lotto numbers with me? I won't tell anyone your secret! Oh... Wait..😅

But still.. If you are, please share. Thanks in advance. 😍

Why are you white-knighting so hard? I think everybody here posts because they love this game and want it to get better. 

Also, PC has had the same controller UI for about as long as that guy said and they have been complaining like crazy, and DE ignored them. It wasn't until it launched in console that they acknowledged the issues. So I can see why he would say we've had the new UI for a month and a half.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, (XB1)Fevi117 said:

Why are you white-knighting so hard? I think everybody here posts because they love this game and want it to get better. 

Also, PC has had the same controller UI for about as long as that guy said and they have been complaining like crazy, and DE ignored them. It wasn't until it launched in console that they acknowledged the issues. So I can see why he would say we've had the new UI for a month and a half.

You have trouble with the math as well? 

*sigh*

Ok here's the thing, a month generally has 4 weeks. A month and a half is 6. Even if we count from May 17, we're still short of that date. 

If you look up, you can find out that I'm not the only person who noticed that he jumped the gun and commented on it. And you really should look up the meaning of the phrase "white knighting" if you intend to toss it out there. I'm not trying to rescue anyone other than myself from the situation we've found ourselves in with this UI. What you may notice is that I'm asking people who are unconstructively bashing, to at least say what they are having trouble with instead of running around screaming their heads off about the sky falling down. 

I've pointed out that the people complaining about a lack of 'feedback' have been ignoring the feedback we've gotten, and the sheer number of iterations of the current build is an indicator that the people who claim that nothing is being done, are really just not paying any attention to what's been going on. Oh and I'm currently pointing out that some people don't know what a month and a half is, for some reason (I blame the school system and calendar manufacturers for failing these poor souls in their time of need).

None of that can remotely be considered 'white knighting', unless you are working with a very different definition of the term. 

(Just had a thought that maybe it's different in the future, and maybe you're a time traveller too!!! That would explain why you think it's 6 weeks... *squeeeeeee!* 😍 If so will you share the lotto numbers with me, future-person? Please and thank you.)

4 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

What you may notice is that I'm asking people who are unconstructively bashing, to at least say what they are having trouble with instead of running around screaming their heads off about the sky falling down.

Shut up and let us whiny asses rant.  We don't care if it's not constructive every single time. Sometimes we just want to blow up like a little four year old throwing a temper tantrum. May not do anything positive, but it makes the person posting feel as if he/she has made his/her voice heard and for those of us who want to jump on the whine wagon, that's okay. It's a stress reliever.  Stop trying to get us to make our posts pleasing to YOU. 

And the laugh of the day goes to...

2 hours ago, (PS4)Firebrandd said:

Shut up and let us whiny asses rant.  We don't care if it's not constructive every single time. Sometimes we just want to blow up like a little four year old throwing a temper tantrum. May not do anything positive, but it makes the person posting feel as if he/she has made his/her voice heard and for those of us who want to jump on the whine wagon, that's okay. It's a stress reliever.  Stop trying to get us to make our posts pleasing to YOU. 

giphy.gif

lmao My sides. Ow. 

5 hours ago, (PS4)Firebrandd said:

You should probably take up a hobby or something. Ever tried video games? They can be a great stress reliever, and a lot of fun. 

BTW, the instant you feel the need to tell others to shut up, so you can say whatever you like, you have pretty much lost your way. Think about it. 

2 hours ago, (PS4)NachoZissou said:

I'm pretty much used it now. Just needs tweaking and small issues ironing out, chiefly the unreliability of being able to rotate your frame, ship etc at will. 

For me it's the "open chat breaks ability to accept invites, closing chat declines invitation". It confuses the noobs that you try to help when you say you will join if they invite you, and then you apparently decline. 

Anything that hampers a person's ability to help someone out is a serious problem. I can deal with waiting for my fashion-frame to be fixed. A noob just trying to get to a new mission, or farm for a few parts doesn't need the extra roller-coaster of finally finding people who will help, only for them to apparently act like real jackarses and decline. 

(Happened to me again last night, worked out in the end, but I felt really bad for a while until I managed to explain that chat sometimes breaks the invite system on the receiving end.) 

This virtual cursor is a fail...period. I've been playing since release and this is a serious step back from what we previously had. It takes too much time to do anything. It plain sucks please roll us back to the previous GUI and call it a day. I can understand if you want us to use the same UI as PC but this not a PC it's a console. I cannot fathom who da FUQQ in your QA said this was ready to go, they should be beaten out of the building.

Just for clarification, UIs and control schemes aren't something that's tacked on. You can't just remove one and add another one on top. Or just keep one preserved to the side. UIs are the most fiddly bit of code in any application (or at least should be). There's no easy revert. As they've said before, each release they would have to effectively fix large parts of the UI which was very time consuming.

I am a professional UI programmer, but not a professional game developer, but I know enough to know that they're close enough for comparison.

When you press a button, move a mouse, press a key there are multiple events that are fired that the app listens for. These are raised by the OS itself (PS4 OS or Windows for Win10/Xbox). Then you respond to said event and there will be metadata attached, like the position of the mouse, the key that was pressed or is the key going up or down. For controllers it may also contain how much they were pressed down for analog buttons.

Each screen has a set of controls or windows defined. Each window is going to have regions defined that respond to specific events. This can be done with a formal framework and set of models, or it can be purely hit-test driven.

I imagine the new code is somewhat naive. When you hit the d-pad it figures out it's current coordinates and then calculates the mid-point of each targetable region. Then it decides where to move based on what you hit and what is the closest thing in each cardinal direction.

Other events are going to be things like mouse-enter or mouse-leave (which is probably being simulated by their virtual cursor). This allows them to give hover effects. So when your cursor (mouse or virtual) enters, say, the relic selection screen they know to execute the code to tell the right hand panel to load what that relic could contain. That hover event would below to that particular window. Other screens would have their own UI code and specific events.

You can think of UI code like the electrical system in the car. You can't just replace the electrical system because, while we think about it in the abstract, it's really a set of wires and components that wind their way through the entire car. They all rely on some common pieces like the battery (or input events), but ultimately what each thing does with the input/current is up to that thing.

My purpose in this post isn't to repudiate people complaining about the UI or to say that they shouldn't be angry or to say that DE did a good job or made the right decision. It's simply to explain a bit how things work to those people who want to know or who find value in knowing.

Personal experience:

It's sluggish, even with the cursor speed sped up. Speeding it up too fast makes it way too easy to over-shoot options.

Snap-to-buttons was much better on the controller before the changes. Targeting interface buttons with a freely moving cursor on a controller feels bad right now - a controller is not a mouse, even if it "looks" and "functions" the same way.

Can't they create a hierarchy of the buttons in each UI area, and when you press "left", it moves you through that hierarchy by one position at a time per press, on the D-pad, and if you want to leave that UI area, you use the L/R sticks that can freely move you to another interface section that has its own hierarchy. If you reach the "end" of one hierarchy, and you try to move beyond it with the D-pad, it could also move you to the top of the next tree in that "direction"? Each button could have its "center" established in code, so the cursor could snap to it.

If it's not "that easy" to do (I'm not on their programming team, so I don't know the code involved, and there might be too much work to figure out the placement of buttons when the UI is adjusted a little, and they might not be able to write an algorithm to figure out the new coordinates to adjust all the other UI elements "centers" for each change...) well then... I don't know the "best solution" but there has to be better than what we have now.

1 hour ago, (PS4)FurryZenJustice said:

-snip- 

My purpose in this post isn't to repudiate people complaining about the UI or to say that they shouldn't be angry or to say that DE did a good job or made the right decision. It's simply to explain a bit how things work to those people who want to know or who find value in knowing.

I appreciate it and while I do think that they should be able to add in the functionality that we had before, I can see that it involves complexities that I don't yet fully grasp. It's why I'm now focusing on the little broken things and the stuff that they may be able to fix in the shorter term, in this thread. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)AyinDygra said:

Personal experience:

It's sluggish, even with the cursor speed sped up. Speeding it up too fast makes it way too easy to over-shoot options.

Snap-to-buttons was much better on the controller before the changes. Targeting interface buttons with a freely moving cursor on a controller feels bad right now - a controller is not a mouse, even if it "looks" and "functions" the same way.

Can't they create a hierarchy of the buttons in each UI area, and when you press "left", it moves you through that hierarchy by one position at a time per press, on the D-pad, and if you want to leave that UI area, you use the L/R sticks that can freely move you to another interface section that has its own hierarchy. If you reach the "end" of one hierarchy, and you try to move beyond it with the D-pad, it could also move you to the top of the next tree in that "direction"? Each button could have its "center" established in code, so the cursor could snap to it.

If it's not "that easy" to do (I'm not on their programming team, so I don't know the code involved, and there might be too much work to figure out the placement of buttons when the UI is adjusted a little, and they might not be able to write an algorithm to figure out the new coordinates to adjust all the other UI elements "centers" for each change...) well then... I don't know the "best solution" but there has to be better than what we have now.

I'm looking at the way the matchmaking menu works. The cursor snaps to it regardless of where on the screen it started. It could be that that particular menu has always had a free roaming cursor to deal with. But that's the sort of intuitive functionality I would like to have with the rest of the menus that open a submenu elsewhere on the screen. 

The new Diamond Cursor is very difficult to use. Please remove it and return it to the way it was. I understand that this game was meant for PC for players using a mouse, but it's really annoying when you have to wait for the cursor to get to where to wanna Press A to select, and even then you have to be precise. People with smaller TV screens would have a problem with this.

In addition, just tonight when i try to invite a non-clan player to my dojo for a duel, i select the player's name, used the D-pad to choose and Pressed A to select and it didn't work. I had to use the cursor SEVERAL times before it let me select the invite selection. And before that i had to exit the dojo and re-enter to reset the glitch because it either closed everything or didn't even let me select it. ....it is really slow.... and if it's faster, then you'll have to stop just right to precisely place the cursor on the a selection.

Please return the UI the way it was before the cursor or remove the cursor all together.

Thank you for reading. ^_^

On 2018-06-24 at 7:10 PM, (PS4)Hiero_Glyph said:

Haha, the cursor UI was released on consoles on June 5th. It may feel like "a solid month and a half" but you might be overly dramatic about it too.

Lol! Yeah... I play everyday, and it has felt like an eternity dealing with this garbage. I'm not the greatest keeping track of time. 😋 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (PS4)silvia95guy said:

Lol! Yeah... I play everyday, and it has felt like an eternity dealing with this garbage. I'm not the greatest keeping track of time. 😋 

No worries, most of us feel the same way about it. What's sad is that I went from being able to recommend Warframe without a second thought to having to consider how the UI will affect players trying to set their options and learn how to use the arsenal and mods for the first time. It certainly requires a lot more patience from the user than it did previously.

8 hours ago, (PS4)silvia95guy said:

Gee...sorta like trying to log in with the broken CAPTCHA, and their insistence upon using that piece of internet trash when there are many other viable alternatives (one of which has been presented to them)? 

Nah, it never feels like an eternity when having to deal with that...

computer-rage.gif

7 hours ago, (PS4)Hiero_Glyph said:

No worries, most of us feel the same way about it. What's sad is that I went from being able to recommend Warframe without a second thought to having to consider how the UI will affect players trying to set their options and learn how to use the arsenal and mods for the first time. It certainly requires a lot more patience from the user than it did previously.

Sadder still, i went from activly playing 4-6 hours a day to barly logging in. They dealt a death blow to a once good game for thier selfish reasons without even considering how it would effect the community.

The other day marks the fourth occasion i was unable to find a sortie and hydron team for many tries.

Weeks before this update we saw an influx on players from Destiny arriving and now we not only see them departing, but bringing thier Warframe friends with them.

This Nazi style of “like it or lump it” attitude the developers have is surely affecting thier bottom line. I am in a large clan and many if my close friends have literally never skipped a prime pack, until now.

Theres is a game full of bugs and glitches and rather than focusing on that, they adf to the crap wirh this, redesigning levels and messing up the Index mana, among several other stupid and uncalled for changes.

As Angry Joe would but it, “Ya dun f’d it up!”

• Like 2

It feels like someone promised his kid that they would make *THIS* code work and are unwilling to listen to the whines at home if *THIS* version isn't implemented. "Sorry guys, I promised my brat that I would give them the PC feel on their console. Tough titties that the rest of the console community hates it, but my kid wants it, so deal with it." 

• Like 2

Hello. I've been a huge fan of warframe for over 3 years now, I love it and this community. I have seen most changes done in this game as a massive step forward so while I'm writing this I figured I'd start with thank you for this amazing game, sadly i haven't been able to play it much recently. I wanted to waste my life away all summer playing again with some new friends but I've ran into an issue I just can't move past. Im sorry to say but This user interface for console, might be the worst I've ever experienced. The cursor sticks when it shouldn't, doesn't when it should. It's making so many thinks difficult and take twice as long. Modding is an absolute nightmare which I'm doing alot of do to reworks. You can't remove mods like you used to and inputting them takes longer. Scrolling can only be done with the right analog stick I'm ready to pull my hair out. The market and codex is difficult to navigate for what reason exactly? I was fine with navigation being this way but making the games entire interface cursor related was a horrible choice. Like fire somebody bad. I love this game but I can't play it if it takes 45 minutes do anything menu related. Even The fact the you have to press square to preview is terrible because the cursor is so bad. I'm sure it seem like overreacting and maybe some people like it. However forcing everybody to use it is not fair. Like maybe some type of toggle system to remove it entirely. I much rather prefer the old UI. Again love the game and the progress I've seen happen over the years has been incredible playing so far, id just really love to see this go.