Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dev Workshop: Virtual Cursor Action Plan

[DE]Danielle

An excellent start to fixing an issue that should have never happened to begin with.

Seams like I'm damning you guys with faint praise, my apologies.

While I don't agree with why this idea of a unified UI is happening I do very much appreciate the effort and passion all of you put into this amazing game.

Thank you for your time.

2 hours ago, [DE]Danielle said:

It’s been over 24 hours since we launched the UI and virtual cursor changes in Update 22.20.6 on PS4 and Xbox One, and we’ve been closely reading your feedback (Forums, Twitter, in-game chat, etc.) and furiously taking notes as it continues to roll in in droves. Coinciding feedback points from our PC Controller users have also been included in our readings, as the goal of unifying controls across all Platforms was our intention from the start within the future greater UI overhaul scheme.  

But we do feel we missed the mark on this first attempt. So, while we are keeping to our original goal, we understand that in order to fully meet it improvements are needed. 

That said, the following is a list of priority changes (based largely on your feedback) that we’ve started working on implementing:  

• Restoring button shortcuts in the Arsenal. 
  • Adding content preview on hover in Relic selection screens (choosing a Relic is done by selecting it). 
  • Changing “preview” and “select” to be independent of one another in the Arsenal item selection (separate bindings displayed in bottom right of screen in Arsenal).
  • Right Trigger will rotate your Warframe in the Arsenal while browsing item grid. 
  • Removing the need to hold down X (PS4) / A (XB1) + drag in order to select a Mod in the Modding UI. Instead, selecting a Mod will make it stick to your cursor like it used to, allowing you to move it with cursor control or D-Pad. Additionally, hitting “back” will deselect the Mod from your cursor without exiting the screen. 
  • Fixing D-Pad landing on invisible items on the bottom of grids (long term goal as requires a lot of testing for a global change).

This is just the start of what you can expect in terms of changes. We’ve been hard at work to get these launched on console as soon as possible (in a hotfix tonight!), while some changes may come in later hotfixes/updates as they require more time to implement and test. PC Tenno, you can expect these changes in a future update (along with the D-Pad support originally announced in the dedicated Dev Workshop). We will be watching for your feedback on the above changes as well.

We do also want to thank you tremendously for your patience as we continue to work on changes. There’s no denying this was a rocky start with the original launch, but we’re hopeful that with some time and care, we can get it to a much better place for all of you.

5:22 PM ET Edit: Hotfixes have been deployed on PS4 and XB1!

The whole idea of introducing a cursor to the console UI is a really, really, bad idea overall. Just makes navigation feel clunky and slow. DE should take some pointers from Final Fantasy XIV. They run cross-platform between PC and PS4 (on the same servers even) and utilize the exact same UI between their KB/M and their controller setups. You use a cursor with your mouse when you have the game configured for KB/M and regular button navigation when you set it to controller mode. Their game updates for both platforms at the same time. If you must unify the UIs between the two versions then make one that does NOT rely on a screen cursor for controllers. Just no, no, no to that idea.

• Like 3

Its honestly not that big of a deal that some people made it out to be. You can still play the game just UI feels a tad strange, but i knew DE would make fixes. 

Ive seen post of people threatening to leave, I mean really.

Keep up the good work DE, i know you guys will get it fixed. 

This response is very relieving to see. This is very very close to what controller users want. This is definitely a step back in the right direction. I'm glad you listened to all the negative feedback and are planning to take action immediately in this case because this proves that you aren't actually headed down the path of not listening to the feedback of your community as many feel has begun to happen (myself included). Thank you for proving us wrong and listening.

Edited by PsychadelicTaco

Can’t stand how Warframe has messed itself up. I was more than happy to introduce new players to Warframe before this cursor update, but after this most recent set of updates Warframe has lost my interest. Beginning with the cursor update that makes a PS4 more like a pc (shouldn’t have ever happened because the ps4 is a console not a PC, compatibility in both are unique to each. Doesn’t fit together and ps4 should never be forced to change to pc mode. EVER) considering this fact the GPU partial adjustments can’t be adjusted or even disabiled, this makes Warframe on any server and in any location laggy and barely playable. I started playing Warframe 2 months ago, I loved this game until they changed and “fixed” what didn’t need to be fixed. I’m pretty sure I am not the only one who doesn’t like this game now. I might just delete the game and find another game to play.

Edited by (PS4)Wolfe-Hayashi7

This cursor idea was such a bad idea...even the designer said we wouldn't like it before the update. People are Quiting warframe. Just REVERT IT.

And now you can't select "None" for a weapon in arsenal, you inadvertently Ruined the hit boxes on Eidolon limbs (entirely invincible) and they're teleport glitching more than ever and uhh well did I mention people hate you more than TRUMP now?

I was just playing around in my base and I figured out why I would have to click repeatedly anywhere I needed to confirm a selection.   You just have to double click some things now.   This is another thing that must get nuked.

You want the UI windows/menu to look the same for both pc/console but the controls are NEVER going to be the same.   Why are you trying to make ONE control method for UI??  Is making one control scheme for mouse/keyboard and one for controller so much work??  Does it do something to the performance of the game??  I dont get it.  

I appreciate the changes your giving us and im all for new UI graphics/windows (especially if it helps lead to a new stretchable/expandable chat box!!!!)  but turning my controller into a mouse is a no go.  

Make the mouse/keyboard act like a controller......

• Like 1

I can understand anf appreciate what they were going for. They were perhaps trying to pave the way so console and PC players get everything the same day. I understand this was a rough draft. I didn't like it, but perhaps in the future when you change a fundamental maybe make it optional instead of forcing people into it. I don't mean to add insult to injury here. I personally appreciate the direction though it made going through loot and customization tedious. Previously it was quick and painless. Some people I play with wouldn't like waiting 5 to 10 minutes while I go through my things. Again, I appreciate it was something different. They went out of the box on this one, but it obviously didn't go well. Some people are extremely salty over this. But look at them now. Good ol' DE is once again listening to their community and undoing the damage. Tenno just need to be patient and appreciate that they were trying something new. It all looked good on paper. Most of the Warframe coverage I've seen has been on PC which their haven't been any complaints as far as I know. I would rather keep waiting 2 weeks to a month than have to deal with PC mechanics ported to consoles. There was nothing wrong with how it was for consoles. I appreciate the ethusiastic try for something new to make us all equal, but please don't mess with my button controls to make customization a pain in the ass without any way of changing it back to how it was.

8 minutes ago, (PS4)Wolfe-Hayashi7 said:

Can’t stand how Warframe has messed itself up. I was more than happy to introduce new players to Warframe before this cursor update, but after this most recent set of updates Warframe has lost my interest. Beginning with the cursor update that makes a PS4 more like a pc (shouldn’t have ever happened because the ps4 is a console not a PC, compatibility in both are unique to each. Doesn’t fit together and ps4 should never be forced to change to pc mode. EVER) considering this fact the GPU partial adjustments can’t be adjusted or even disabiled, this makes Warframe on any server and in any location laggy and barely playable. I started playing Warframe 2 months ago, I loved this game until they changed and “fixed” what didn’t need to be fixed. I’m pretty sure I am not the only one who hates this game now. I think I’m going to delete the game and find another game to play. #death2warframe 

That's a bit over dramatic there.

• Like 1

Thank you for the fix. I still find some of the cursor actions unintuitive, like which menu item selected by the d-pad depends on where the cursor is located on the screen instead of defaulting to the top menu item, plus you still cant scroll down warframes or weapons with out it "bottoming out" at the last visible item so you have to move the cursor to scroll the rest of the way.

The ability to pick bracketed items in chat is extremely useful but it is bugged at the moment as you can only pick one item to look at and then you have to close chat then open it again to look at consecutive items. Still, very useful!!

31 minutes ago, (PS4)Qeythos said:

The whole idea of introducing a cursor to the console UI is a really, really, bad idea overall. Just makes navigation feel clunky and slow. DE should take some pointers from Final Fantasy XIV. They run cross-platform between PC and PS4 (on the same servers even) and utilize the exact same UI between their KB/M and their controller setups. You use a cursor with your mouse when you have the game configured for KB/M and regular button navigation when you set it to controller mode. Their game updates for both platforms at the same time. If you must unify the UIs between the two versions then make one that does NOT rely on a screen cursor for controllers. Just no, no, no to that idea.

That's honestly one of the better suggestions I've seen. I don't think console users are opposed to a unified UI. In fact I think they'd be open to it if your solution wasn't to force console players in to a PC like play style. If there were a UI with both keyboard/mouse configs and controller configs that any platform could toggle back and forth, you'd probably see a lot more positive responses and a lot more people willing to give it a shot. It's not that we don't like change, but you're forcing something on us that just wasn't meant to be on console.

• Like 2

Could we please have a fix for the Steam Controller as well? The game used to be able to handle simultaneous mouse and keyboard input no problem, which is what the SC does, but this controls update broke that. Now instead of running in one mode and accepting all input at any time, the game switches between two modes and ignores the input that caused the switch. What this means is that when I try to press the B button to exit out of various menu screens, this just causes the UI to switch to controller mode without actually exiting the menu. And since the SC is a mouse at the same time, the UI then instantly switches back, and I'm right back to square one. This is really rather aggravating, I'd really appreciate a fix.

• Like 1

I disagree with the comments about people leaving being too dramatic. Nerfing frames, grindwalls, etc. - those are not reasons to leave the game; that's trivial nonsense. But botching the user interface? The thing that is an inescapable part of every moment you spend in-game, and is how you even interact with the game at all? That is a perfectly valid reason to walk away. 

• Like 1

Just now, SordidDreams said:

Could we please have a fix for the Steam Controller as well? The game used to be able to handle simultaneous mouse and keyboard input no problem, which is what the SC does, but this controls update broke that. Now instead of running in one mode and accepting all input at any time, the game switches between two modes and ignores the input that caused the switch. What this means is that when I try to press the B button to exit out of various menu screens, this just causes the UI to switch to controller mode without actually exiting the menu. And since the SC is a mouse at the same time, the UI then instantly switches back, and I'm right back to square one. This is really rather aggravating, I'd really appreciate a fix.

YES! This happens with Xbox controllers too -- the first input (the one that triggers the UI switch) is eaten, and the UI repaints and waits for new input. 

There has to be a way around that; using KB/M + Controller is a great way to play the game, and right now I've had to set it aside due to the UI switching. 

If your gonna keep that god forsaken curser can the dpad control the menu without having to use the cursor have cursor independent of dpad?  I don't know just thought of it dpad could be for more how it was and u can keep that cursor on the thumbstick for the people that like it I don't know just an idea don't know if it would be able to happen or not

• Like 2

Hi

Thanks for lesten to the console player

But rearly after a seconde update the UI is so slow in arsenal

One big big errore is when you want leveling fast weapon you put just one weapon like primary  weapon and dont put secondary or meele or sentinel now you must put it all

So please pleaaase we need the old UI 

Sorry but i dont buy any platinume from marken if you dont fix that

Thanks

• Like 1

Since the hotfix, I’ve found the ‘mod sticking to the cursor’ feature inconsistent. After putting in a new mod or swapping the positions of already installed mods, I’m unable to pick up any more mods. Backing out of the upgrade screen and going back in seems to be the only way of picking up/moving mods again.

Once again thanks for the hotfix making it more playable. Here's just a few suggestions to help better u.i. in the future. 

1. Make R3 able to always rotate your warframe while you are in your arsenal.

2. With previewing equipment it is fine that you have to press Square (ps4 anyways) to preview weapons as their look does not affect our decision to choose them. However, this can't be said for armor or syndanas. This should remain as it was before.

3. There needs to be a dynamic control system for all users across the board. This way it doesn't matter whether you are a kb&m user or a controller player. All styles of players could jump on any platform and be able to play. If anyone can play the game, it will yield a larger number of players.

4. Overall the chat, emoji system, and link functions are nice, but still seem a little clunky. Mainly when I'm trying to boot a player for speaking inappropriately. Combine the old player selection option in chat with the new emoji and link functions, and I feel it would drastically improve chat.

That's about all I have for now. Keep going with it and may this game live forever.