Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Build Your Own Course / Dojo Construction

Rachel_dArc

I've finally had the chance to try to build my own obstacle course, and I've run into mostly the same problem I have with adding elements to the Dojo proper - it is bloody hard to make everything line up perfectly.  Objects - when they collide with other objects like a wall or the floor - tend to suddenly skew at weird angles, or will adjust their angles based on camera position.  If you try to rotate things to line up and connect perfectly, there's little twists and turns which show up, making it harder to align things.

I think it would be very helpful to have an 'align to grid' option, creating a virtual grid of 2.5 / 5 / 10 metres as the creator needs, and then allow the object to move strictly on those lines, allowing things to line up better.  Additionally, perhaps when an object comes into contact with another object, it could 'stick' (as an option), and try to line up.  So if you're doing a floor piece, and try to connect another floor piece, they'll align perfectly for you.  You could then also have objects placed on surfaces 'stick flat', so that they're lined up perfectly.

This came up when I was trying to build the obstacle course - I put in a ramp, then wanted a second ramp to pick up off the first one so the player could simply run up a smooth ramp for some altitude.  The second ramp was a pain to try to place - trying to get the ends to meet, trying to keep a consistent angle, and then using the floor tiles to place walls on either side was a lesson in frustration.  Trying to make the walls at perfect right angles, parallel to the ramps was... difficult, and then making a second wall to attach to the first was even more difficult.

It's still early in the obstacle course construction thing - and I'm sure the staff of DE have a lot on their plate, but I thought I'd voice my thoughts - maybe toss out an idea or two.  Honestly, while sometimes having a more 'organic' placement of things is good - sometimes it's nice to have symmetry and have everything fit together snug and tidy.  🙂

Thank you for your time!